Create Account

[2x Draft] Jeff Larsson's Prospect Showcase
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2021, 08:10 PM by Redderder15. Edit Reason: Added extra stats that I just found )

Jeff Larsson, one of the most anticipated players in the S61 SMJHL draft, was first drafted on to the Yellowknife Yetis for the prospect showcase. He has been training for over a year now to get into the SHL, but before that he must enter the SMJHL, but to start his career he went to the only tournament that all players of the draft were put on an even playing field, and played amongst each other. Jeff Larsson was prepared for this moment, and here's how it all went down.

GAME ONE:

Yetis VS Sand Lions

Jeff Larsson came on to the ice first, before any of his teammates or opponents. He was the best skater on the ice during warm-up, and proved it, scoring the first goal of the game, the first Yetis goal of S61. The crowd went wild, knowing that they could count on Larsson. He didn't score any points for the rest of the game, but remained a solid defensive player in his 12 minutes of ice time, staying a +1. That being said, he could do nothing as he watched the Lions tie it up late in the third period. He played a bit of overtime, and watched from the sidelines in the shootout as he saw his team get him the first win of the year. He was quite upset that he wasn't trusted in the shootout, or more so the game, receiving third line minutes, but kept in his frustrations and pushed on to game 2.

OTHER GAMES:

Jeff Larsson, in the rest of the games, wasn't able to score much (4g 5a 9p 20gp), not even getting on the goals or points leaderboards. He knows his future is on the line with this tournament, and wants to make a good first impression despite being told this doesn't really affect his draft stock. Half way through the season, and he still was lacking in the point and goal columns, despite goal scoring and point production being his best qualities. The scouting reports for his play are displayed below, one by a top tier talent evaluator that thinks Larsson is one of the solid prospects in this draft and has more offensive talent than he is given credit for (scout #1), and a scout that doesn't think Larsson has what it takes for this league (scout #2). Read the scouting reports and choose which report you think is more accurate. Is Larsson's play excusable, or does he not have what it takes and should be playing bottom-6 ice time against top tier competition? A middle ground scout has made a conclusion for us as well, so be sure to see the unbiased opinion just based on his play so far.

Scout #1-"Jeff Larsson's game to me, while not lighting the lamp quite as much as he is capable of, and lacking in point production, is showing as a guy with all of the tools required to be a scoring winger in the SHL, and the SMJHL. His read on the game offensively proved useful in the points he was able to provide for his team. His speed was still a talking point amongst scouts, as his speed is still something the SMJHL is lacking in this class and currently in the league. His position reminds me of the KHL situation for many NHL skaters; they have the tools to be great players for their teams like Vasili Podkolzin, but Pod wasn't able to get the ice time he deserves due to politics. Jeff wasn't getting less ice time due to politics, it was more like Bo Horvat playing more defensive minutes because the Canucks didn't have a shutdown line until Dickinson came to Vancouver. The difference, is that Larsson wasn't just getting rough minutes, he wasn't getting many minutes period. If Larsson was given top tier minutes instead of third line minutes, and against easier competition, his defensive skills would be able to shine better against weaker offensive talents, but mainly his offensive ability would be able to shine, and I seriously think he could be a 0.8-1.2ppg player in this prospect showcase."

Scout #2-"Jeff Larsson is one of the most highly anticipated prospects in this draft, but I didn't realize most of his skills were overrated until this tournament. Larsson has always been given premier placements and ice time in previous leagues, including the S62 Prospect Cup, where he got Team Steam the gold medal. He was able to get 16 goals and 15 assists for 31 points in 18 games playing premier ice time against weaker competition. The whole tournament was of course a step down from the prospect showcase, but I still think those results were incredibly good given the fact that in the same tournament against roughly the same level of competition Connor McDavid was able to only put up 35 points, only 12 goals (4 less than Larsson) and just a few more points than Larsson. Being close to McDavid is always an incredible feat, but it seems that Larsson either had a fluke tournament, was with better teammates, or can only produce against weaker players, and when it comes to playing against people near his level, he stops being a very useful player. The fact that the Yetis coach decided to play Larsson third line minutes means he probably knows that Larsson is not as good, at least offensively, as the top-6 ahead of him. Larsson's defensive game was pretty mediocre in these 20 games, still better than most his teammates, but mediocre. No signs of a top tier shutdown player, just a solid 2-way game. Larsson's lack of production at the highest level could very well be because of his placement and ice time, but if that is true you don't want to have to shelter a top tier prospect of yours, unless he is a true star which I just don't see with Larsson so far."

Scout #3 (conclusion)-"Jeff Larsson hasn't shown us much in these past games this tournament. I don't think he's been given an opportunity to show us much in these past 20 games. I don't think you should take many things too seriously from his play so far, as we have yet to see him in a more favorable position to really make an impact. Getting the first goal for your team in a tournament is always a good sign, so that and his defensive game being pretty good I think are the only real takeaways from his play so far. I for one can't wait to see him play in different situations, but only time will tell how he does."

1146 words, 4958 characters

Links: Updates | Player Page | Bank

Damn, this is a really nice piece! Best of luck tomorrow, as well as the draft on Sunday!

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

08-20-2021, 08:02 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: Damn, this is a really nice piece! Best of luck tomorrow, as well as the draft on Sunday!
Thanks! I really wanted to try out mixed perspective on how my player sucked today, and I think I did quite well with it.

Links: Updates | Player Page | Bank