Create Account

Why an Appeals Committee is the Right Course of Action
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2021, 07:36 AM by Inf1d3l.)

Following the unfortunate events of the last few days, and seeing the incredibly disappointing judgement call from the “ownership group”, it’s quite clear to me that the time of any one user having the ultimate power in any way, shape, or form, needs to come to an end. No one user, or group of users, should have the ultimate power without being in a position that is hired by the userbase in some regard (with the exception of Commissioners, as they are simply one part of a head office group)

Unless you are a member of the Hamilton Steelhawks (or an owner it seems) you are likely upset with the most recent ruling made. Myself, I think the decision is a complete farce to the rulebook, which is something I hold sacred as about 5 or 6 seasons ago, I rewrote the SMJHL rulebook to be clearer in many regards. Mildly off topic, if anyone ever asks you to rewrite the rulebook, don’t. I hated myself for a solid season for taking on that project, but I digress.

While I personally don’t doubt that the owners, or at least some of them, attempt to remain unbiased, it’s hard to look at the current decision as anything but. The fact that the “owners” decided that the rulebook held no sway in this case is an absolute farce of a decision.

While I understand there are situations where a reduction of penalty is warranted, see:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=106889
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=106347
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=106773

The fact that a proper appeals process never took place, SHL Head Office was overruled without the ability to do the jobs they were hired to do, and that the rulebook was considered something that “owners” can overlook at their convenience, the time of their power removal in terms of rulings and appeals is now. The Head Office should have the initial ruling and an appeals committee should be formed to finalize any necessary addition. While I believe the ownership should have a voice in the mix, they should not hold ultimate power in any regard.

Therefore, I am proposing the addition of an appeals committee, who will be hired by a combination of both the SHL Head Office, SMJHL Head Office, and the userbase combined, and who’s terms will be two seasons, with the ability to be re-hired once their term is finished.

Now, how would that work you ask? I know it sounds a bit confusing or overcomplicated, but let me break down why I am doing it the way that I do.

1. The Appeals committee will handle appeals for all aspects of the SHL, SMJHL, and IIHF/WJC. They will be responsible for handling appeals in a timely and fair fashion, and will be paid a minimum of $2 million per season, with an additional $1 million added on for each appeal process they are tapped for each season, up to a maximum of $6 million total per season.

2. The appeals committee will have seven members.

a. During the offseason, a hiring post will be placed for the members of the appeals committee to be hired.

b. SHL Head Office and SMJHL Head Office will each choose two members each who applied to be hired into the appeals committee.

c. The userbase will then vote on the remaining applicants, hiring two by popular vote to be added onto the committee. This vote will last 2-3 days during the offseason.

d. The seventh and final member of the appeals committee will be a user who is part of the ownership group.

3. Any member who holds a position of Head Office Member or General Manager/Co-General Manager will be ineligible to hold a position on the appeals committee simultaneously.

4. Each member will hold their position for two full seasons, and then all members must reapply to be rehired, with the exception of the member of the ownership group, who may choose to stay on or relinquish their position to a different ownership user.

5. The appeals committee may not have more than two users who reside on the same SHL team at any time. In the event a trade, draft, or free agent signing would jeopardize this, the user in question will be replaced at the earliest convenience by SHL Head Office, regardless of the manner of their hiring.

5a. In the event a member of the committee goes inactive, leaves the SHL, or is suspended/banned, then SHL Head Office will replace them at their earliest convenience.

5b. Any replacement committee member will serve out the remainder of the initial user's term.

6. The Appeals committee will rule based on the entirety of evidence given to the Head Office, as well as any additional information supplied with the appeal that has been requested.

7. Any member of the appeals committee whose player is on the roster, or management/coaching group, of a team under an appeals process will recuse themselves from the decision process.

7b. If in the event that a user recusing themselves would result in a tie vote, the member of ownership group will also recuse their vote, breaking the tie.

8. The Appeals committee decision is final and will not be overturned by any user or group of users.

I believe this process gives the entire site a voice in the process, as well as being able to apply for Head Office positions. We, the users, are what keep this league moving, and while I don’t deny the work that the multiple Head Offices and “ownership group” do, without us, this site, this game, is nothing. Let’s take this back into our hands and allow us to enjoy the game as it was meant to, to follow the rules that are meant to be followed, and to allow us to have civil conversations about what happened.

Now, quickly touching base on the punishment and subsequent instant “appeal” that was levied. I don’t deny that the timeline between when the deadline happened and the post by Hamilton was very short, but they had the better part of six days to post their contracts and failed to do so. The deadlines are there for a very specific reason, and to snub your nose at the rulebook is a joke in my opinion. The “spirit of the rulebook” is that it needs to be followed to the letter, and if there is an issue with how it is worded or interpreted, it needs to be clarified as part of the punishment, not prior to the punishment taking place.

Now, this is just the opinion of one member (myself) in the process, but I think we can do better as a group, and I think it’s time we look at doing just that. The animosity and drama created by decisions like the one just made is what fractures us as a group.

I’d like to hear all your thoughts on the matter. I know the last few days have been a whirlwind, and I hope we can have a CIVIL discussion about how to improve this league that we enjoy so much.

(1220 words, double draft media? lol)

I think that this situation really pointed towards the need to have an properly set up appeal process rather than leaving it up to the owners. This is definitely a little more polished than anything I could come up with such a short time, so props for that.

Manhattan Rage | General Manager
[Image: sig-hlemyzd.png]
thanks Sulovilen for the sig!
D | Great Falls Grizzlies | Player Page | Update Page

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
[Image: image.png]

Definitely a great start to this.

Japan Outlaws Blizzard  Blizzard Outlaws Japan

[Image: Talls.gif]

[Image: aAYvaDO.png][Image: wFihEpr.png][Image: FcT7qtH.png][Image: NwdnVLP.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: o2NPreS.png]

fuck yes

[Image: kILVP74.png]    [Image: qtbn8zh.png]    [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: Monochroma_Sig_2_1.gif]
Patriotes Knights Latvia Knights Latvia Knights Patriotes

Great write up.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

applied

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska

Yes The ISFL and PBE have an appeals process and it is a good idea. We obviously need some sort of check on the decision makers in this league

[Image: zayn.png?ex=65e9b101&is=65d73c01&hm=c0f0...y=lossless]
Kyle Sux Lmap

+1 support.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Just remove Hamilton from the league

[Image: creller_dragons.png]

08-21-2021, 08:01 AMMook Wrote: Just remove Hamilton from the league

Say what you will, and I know a lot of people dislike Hamilton for one reason or another. They made the mistake here, but they had no hand in what happened with the overall ruling, so to blame them specifically for that is a hard sell at best.

I dig it. Members voting on users could get messy, you'd need to come up with some sort of tie breaking vote.

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

08-21-2021, 08:02 AMInf1d3l Wrote:
08-21-2021, 08:01 AMMook Wrote: Just remove Hamilton from the league

Say what you will, and I know a lot of people dislike Hamilton for one reason or another. They made the mistake here, but they had no hand in what happened with the overall ruling, so to blame them specifically for that is a hard sell at best.

Almost every controversial ruling has Hamilton playing a part. Remove Hamilton, save the league

[Image: creller_dragons.png]

Love it. 100% support this and will be applying for such a job.

shut up dum dum that’s logical

[Image: ImShiny.gif]

My favorite part is the double draft media, pay this man.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .