Create Account

S61 SMJHL PT #1 - New Places

Round one passed and I didn't receive a call. Rounds two and three were much of the same. Round four, pick 53. The phone rings and I am sweating. It's the Maine Timber and they have selected me. It's time for this Russian center to head to the states. I'm nervous, yet calm. The flight over felt like it lasted for days. A plane ride and short bus trip lead me to my destination. I walk into the locker and am immediately greeted by all. Staff, coaches, teammates. Honestly, I might've blacked out in that moment. A rush of emotions filled my body and I knew that this was the place I was destined to be. I walked over to my locker and saw my number #74 jersey hanging there. I couldn't be more excited to join this team and show the league what I can do! (153 words)

I walked into Zerk stadium, the locker rooms being the only place I hadn't visited at the towering concrete temple to the ice. The draft was being streamed on the jumbotron, as (per COVID protocols) we couldn't all meet in person this year. I looked around and saw Juke sitting about halfway down the rows, chatting with Yoshi and Tylar. I smiled, knowing that I would be greeted with a shout and a laugh as soon as they saw me. They seemed to be engaged in an animated conversation - not sure about what, and I was too far away to eavesdrop. I scanned the rest of the stadium. A few other prospects had turned up - I recognized Big Mack, and Pope Coswi, sitting together on the short end of the ice, and I could see Pope throw his head back and laugh. In the press box, Hamlet was sitting and talking into a computer screen, no doubt communicating his picks to the other GMS and the league commissioner. I took a seat near the exit, and inhaled deeply.

I was nervous.

What if I didn't get drafted?

Was my time on the ice good enough?

Did anyone even want me?

I tried to calm down. I planted my feet firmly on the ground and closed my eyes. My dad's words rang out in my head.

"You were born to skate, son. Don't worry about the rest of it - as long as you keep skating, I'll be proud of you."

A loud slap on my shoulder caused my eyes to fly open.

Staring down at me was Twix, and next to him was Bfine.

"How ya doin' rook! Look a little shell shocked if I do say so myself."

Twix had this strange air about him - like he knew something I didn't, and it was about me.

What had I done?

I replied calmly, telling him it was just the nerves of the day. "Yeah that gets to all of us. Come sit with the rest of us - it'll be a pleasant distraction."

I stood, and we walked down to the group of Juke, Tylar and Yosh. They waved and yelled out "Tommy!" as we got a bit closer, and I sheepishly grinned and waved back.

I really enjoyed my time with these guys. We had met on the road when I was a DFA for Detroit. They heckled me relentlessly. After the game, I got a DM from Tylar inviting me to dinner with them. I got dressed in my sunday best and went out, expecting a big fancy event where I could network.

Instead, we all sat in Juke's house, eating mac and cheese and hot dogs and playing CoD4 until almost 2 am, talking and laughing and having a good time.

"How are ya feeling rook?"

Yosh's voice didn't match his face exactly - a bit deeper and far more gruff than you'd expect from the slenderly built man that stood in front of you. His face was kind, and he always had a sort of smile on - never a full grin, but always there. It was in his eyes.

"Alright" I answered. "Bit nervous about the day."

He smiled. "Wherever you go, you'll be a great player. Don't worry about it."

And I sat down, and looked up at the screen.

The draft had begun.

The first three picks happened with relatively little hassle - it had been know for a few days now who was going 1-2-3. Those picks happened with relatively little fanfare - all big names surely, and all people who would succeed in the league. Just not surprising.

Once the fourth pick hit, it was game on.

Sconnie McHits was the first player drafted that wasn't known in advance. The rest of the Berserkers looked a bit shocked, but quickly regained composure. They quietly moved away from me as the next pick was announced - Mikko Rashford to the Berserkers.

I began to spiral a little bit. I wasn't exactly sure who was interested in me, and who wasn't. I knew I had a place at Detroit - they had been fantastic bringing me in to the team - but I always thought I would go top 5. I swallowed hard, and struggled to not let the weight of my ego crush my hope for this day. My stomach churned with anxiety. Maybe my ego was too great and I wasn't getting drafted at all?

The picks kept passing.

Krunk to the Timber.

Jaeger Jones to lead the expansion Regina Elk. He's going to have a lot of pressure on him immediately - and I wish him the best. Quietly, however, I thanked my lucky stars that I was not in that position.

The Kraken took Chow, the Raptors took Bangsa-Wamy - both standout players in the WJC and in the Prospect Showcases. I realized then that my best chance to get drafted in the first round was at pick 12 - back to Detroit. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and looked for a text from Hal. Moments later, it pinged through.

"our pick isn't gonna last for more than 12 seconds bud hope to see you in Detroit tomorrow!"

I smiled. And then noticed that everyone was looking at me.

I hurriedly shoved my phone in my pocket, thinking I was being rude. The arena was mostly quiet, save for Pope and Mack quietly chatting in the distance. I looked around, and tried to figure out what was going on.

Now Juke cleared his throat. I locked eyes with him, and he smiled, then nodded toward centre ice.

"TRADE ALERT!" it read in bold letters across the jumbotron.

The screen shifted to show that Quebec had traded their pick, number 11 overall in the draft, to Newfoundland.

I looked back at Juke, and he was beaming.

"WITH THE 11TH OVERALL PICK, IN THE SEASON 61 SIMULATION JUNIOR HOCKEY DRAFT, THE NEWFOUNDLAND BERSERKERS SELECT: TOMMY TIGHTPANTS, RIGHT WING."

I smiled.

Words - 1015

[Image: vo42C2b.png]
[Image: hTIaaQX.gif]
HIT SOMEBODY

Cheers to tweedledunn and supertardis101 for the awesome signatures!

Ignaz Pleyel was feeling a bit apprehensive as the knights 3rd round pick as he walked into their locker room. As a relative unknown, he wasn't even sure he would be at all drafted let alone go that early and with that came expectations. While the Knights recent seasons may have been more of a struggle, they have a history to be proud of. His anxiety however was misplaced and washed away quickly as he entered the Knights locker room. There he and his fellow draftee's were met enthusiastically by the Knights ownership and players. They were happy to have fresh faces among them, perhaps it was they were quite a few of us new guys to prank. But they also seemed genuinely pleased with who they had drafted this year and what they could bring to the team. He just hoped he'd be able to live up to their expectations and faith they put in him and vowed he would do his best to do so.

Words: 167

[Image: I3BTEQc.png] [Image: oMh09WY.png] [Image: pxjucze.png]

The draft for me has been great a great experience. I honestly had no idea where I was going to go, but as the picks were coming in, I knew my time would come.

Then, I was a part of history. The first ever draft pick by the Grizzlies. It's an honor, but a lot of pressure.

The locker room has been great so far. Everyone is welcoming, and get to share a locker room with Bully Kez. I didn't think that it would ever happen. Even though we're a new team, you can tell there's a certain chemistry there already. The GMs have their vision and it's working, and the people brought in during the expansion draft are ready to prove people wrong. Those of us just drafted are excited to be a part of the first season, and are looking forward to seasons of success. It's gonna be a fun thing to be a part of.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

Paul Koivu was very nervous walking into such a legendary lockerroom. The Anchorage lockerroom is well known to be one of the best across the SHL and the SMJHL. Being a player the Armada traded up to draft at second overall, Koivu was expecting to be warmly welcomed in there. But when he walked in, no one reacted at all. No one said a word. Until Cole Carter said : "the toilet is not here, it's the next door on the right". Paul then said : "no I'm Paul Koivu! The new player!" Guy Fieri then said : "Who? Never heard of." Koivu's heart started racing. This was just like the draft, where no one on the draft presentation had ever heard of him. How could it happen again here? And then the whole lockerroom started laughing. Fieri then said : "We're only messing with you, of course we know who you are! Welcome to the team buddy". And then they all shotgunned a beer each.

162 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

Aksel Fiske arrived at Quebec City's stadium fresh off a red-eye flight from San Diego with a black coffee in hand and sugar and creamer in his pockets.

He hadn't gotten much sleep before. He'd advised his friends and family at home to take a nap and tune into the draft in the later rounds, having heard from GMs that he'd probably be picked later in the night. Alone in his hotel room, he'd turned on the stream and settled in for a long wait. The first few picks were announced, and he consulted the mock he'd made for funsies. Nice. The announcers prepared for the final pick of the first round and turned it to GM Evok of Quebec. Aksel heard his name.

The angry calls didn't come until at least 10 minutes later, when everyone woke from their naps, outraged they'd missed it. He'd apologized late into the night, and watched as all his fellow draftees were picked.

Aksel stepped into the QCC locker room and dumped his cup of coffee into the trash. Wrong move. The cardboard cup hit the bottom of the can. The top came off. Cold bean water sprang from the can and coated his pant leg. Aksel's new teammates stared.

With shaky hands, Aksel pulled out his phone and navigated to his photos. "Um, hei, team." He flipped the screen to face them. "This is my dog, Sammy." He flipped to the next picture. "And this is my cat, Kitty." Silence. "She's an asshole."

The GM blinked. "I want that dog. And that cat."

Someone standing next to her wordlessly pulled out a phone and showed a dog picture. Stan Din'desque followed suit. Other players stood and pulled Fiske further into the room.

"Welcome to the team!"

289 words

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

The truth is, I am very happy with the organization that selected me in the draft. In the conversations to the entry draft, I really liked the conversation I had with the scout and wanted to be selected, no matter the round and the pick.
When I saw the team I was very happy and eager to participate in the organization. From the first moment, I was received very well by both the selected teammates from the draft and the different players on the roster.
It is an excellent organization where there is a great atmosphere and above all there is a lot of camaraderie among the players.
That makes you feel more calm in training for the beginning of the preseason. Surely I will not have a decisive role in the team but I am focused on continuing to progress as a player and supporting my teammates and helping in the rink when it comes time to enter.

[159 words]

Within seconds of walking into the Great Falls locker room, I was immediately greeted with an alligator in my face. It wasn't some cheap plushy, this was a high quality alligator head. Was it a taxidermy job, or just a well made fake? I didn't have much time to think before I was informed that I had been "gatored". My GM informed me the only way to "ungator" myself was to "gator" someone else...

I knew I was home. I quickly found out that I had so much in common with many of my teammates and management. Ace and I are passionate Bruins fans; Geek and I both live in the same area; Durden and I mark out about wrestling; I knew Great Falls had done their homework on me, but no one could have known how great of a fit I would be with the team, and the team with me.

This team has already begun to develop its culture, and I couldn't be more proud to be a part of that. #bearcountry

(177)

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

Spack Jarrow paused on the dock to take time to view his new Armada before embarking on the next stage of his journey. The sun was setting so the crew were busy concentrating on their tasks. Those who had time shouted out their welcomes before Jarrow was whisked away for the tour of his new home. Time was of an essence and the crewman that Spack met earlier in the evening, seaman Mitchell, was assigned to show him the ins and outs. With haste, each section was being commented on faster than Jarrow could even keep up. Mess-hall, a room of crewmen's pet pictures, gnomes, galley, to name a few. When they passed one room that Mitchell conveniently ignored on the tour, Sparrow could hear chants of Mitchell's name through the door. Mitchell angrily shouted something back but Jarrow couldn't hear the response as he had already found the rum supply in the galley.

It was there in the galley where many of the crew were congregating. One high ranking officer was quick to stop Jarrow, unaware of the stolen rum, and asked him abruptly what his thoughts were on an exotic spice. "I FUCKING LOVE IT!" blurted out Spack before realizing that the rum was hitting him harder than he thought. One crew member could be seen glaring from the corner at Jarrow while another group shouted in excitement with his loud reply. The rest of the night was a blur as Spack passed out on his new bunk happy to have found a new ship with a friendly crew.

[ 265 words ]

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

Anaheim welcomed the rookies with a fun game of hot pepper roulette. On the day following the draft the team showed up at the arena for their first meeting. After leading the rookies to center ice a small table was unveiled. On top were 12 upside down bowls. A wheel was placed on top with the numbers 1-12 on seperate spaces. The rookies were told there were 12 different peppers that they could end up with, each corresponding with a number on the wheel. The rookies span the wheel one by one and stood behind their respective bowls. The team then passed out blindfolds to the rookies and instructed to put them on. After it was ensured that the blindfolds were secure the rookies waited for the word to pick up their peppers. No word came, only the big "Thunk" of the arena lights turning off was heard. The rookies were stranded at center ice with no more than a tiny emergency exit light shining at the zamboni door. They were tricked, there were no delicious hot peppers for the rookies

[Image: creller_dragons.png]

When I first walked into the locker room I got a bunch of greetings. I had already had lengthy talks with the GM about everything from personal favorite NHL teams to my players' draft profile. The guys in the locker room were incredibly kind, and I had no issues speaking with them. I talked with ham about my first pro contract, and I immediately agreed to take $2 million with the added $2 million first contract bonus. They assured me that I didn't need to take a team friendly deal as 2 other kind draftees were willing to take a pay cut to get premium FAs. The locker room wasn't just focused on the league and has great emotes involving Yoshi. I have no complaints, and I can't wait to start up my career with the Beserkers. I wouldn't prefer to start my career anywhere else.

152 words

Links: Updates | Player Page | Bank
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2021, 12:40 AM by shan3p.)

Elk It took a lot longer then I originally expected to finally hear my name called. First, second, third, and parts of the fourth were all finished until finally, 51st overall, Theo was called on stage to meet with the team. The Elk had previously not scouted him, but I guess they had seen something that they liked in my potential; obviously I think this will end up being one of the steal picks of the draft. Additionally, They were top 5 in my previous logo review, and therefore, will be a good place to start my career. 

So far meeting everyone has confirmed my initial expectations; everyone is extremely friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The organization is slowly developing its culture and ill be here to help shape it. It also helps that, due to the teams new nature, Theo should be able to carve out an important role on this upstart, energetic, expansion team. All seems to be going well for now.  Elk
753 characters / 164 words

[Image: ReginaElkLogoAlternate.png][Image: ReginaElkLogoAlternate.png]

In the days before I was drafted to COL I had heard great things about their locker room. Let me tell you, it was all true. COL has lived up to the reputation for being a very welcoming and enjoyable place to spend your time. They have some real characters and a wealth of knowledge and experience. You never know what to expect when you enter the LR each day. Each draft pick was welcomed with open arms and greetings by every member of the team. Everyone seemed genuinely happy to welcome the new players. Following the draft the beer was flowing and the stories were flying. We stayed up well into the morning getting to know our new teammates. This team has the chemistry and talent to be a serious threat for the cup this year and the rest of the SMJHL better watch out. #DinoGang is coming for you!

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]

The locker room was very empty and Jaeger stepped foot inside. As the first pick in Regina Elks history he would be waiting to see who will be joining him, once the draft concluded. He knew that together the players drafted and the recent expansion players will all have to work hard to help lead Regina to becoming a contender over the next couple seasons and he knew he needed to make a good first impression.

As the next picks were announced and the players began arriving Jaeger made sure to greet each player with a smile. The core that our general managers were building is young and full of energy. As the night went on and the players began interacting more, they all knew this team was going to be tight-knit and ready to take on the challenges of their inaugural SMJHL season. They may not win it all, but they will be in the fight every night and ready to surprise any teams that sleep on them.

Germany Elk Aurora [Image: vKrOFwy.png] [Image: VbtOVyg.png] Aurora Elk Germany

[Image: Thunder39.gif]

Vasily made promise to himself he would not cry, but he broke promise. He was very honored and proud to be first-round draft pick by Detroit Falcons, and now so excited to be next great Russian player in city of Detroit. Emotions got better of him on first day when he come to training camp. Very special to see his own spot in Falcons locker room and shiny clean professional jersey with his own name on it. When you read this, do not laugh! Big scary tough guy can still have sensitive side. Vasily not ashamed to cry when realizing dreams. You laugh at Vasily’s happy tears, he will hunt you down and make you regret.

Whole team go to dinner at London Chop House, have big steaks and fun party to celebrate start of training camp! Big veterans make Vasily and other rookies pay for everything, but he does not mind; is old tradition. Besides, Vasily love his new friends and just sign big new rookie contract, happy to pay for big steaks and make sure everybody get lots of vodka! Is so great and exciting to see such talented new players joining Falcons team, all eager and ready to get to work. Vasily proud that everyone on Falcons go hard in practice every day; can't wait to see what good things season will bring! Rest of league, watch out! Vasily and his new friends coming to get you!

[Image: michiganshl.gif]