Create Account

(GRADED)[Deep Dive #1] The Berserkers Future
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 11:56 PM by CptSquall.)

The Newfoundland Berserkers Berserkers are coming off of one of the best teams in SMJHL history, and still were able to fill their pipeline full of new prospects this year, me included. This is a breakdown on their positional needs, and their new draftees going down the road, with an added prospect pipeline breakdown compared to Vancouver’s all-in season.

The Depth Chart:
The current NLB depth chart looks like this, ham sent me the lineup and I made the tables:

[Image: unknown.png]
We see here that the Zerks are on pace to lose 3 hard capped players at forward next year, and another on D, and the starter. This year will see 6 new players that hopefully can reach the 350 cap next year, meaning the chart next year should look like this (we shouldn’t go further than 2 years):
[Image: unknown.png]
FORWARDS: Now we can see a glaring hole at center, and the left D position. My recommendation is that Jeff (me) switches to center by upgrading his faceoffs. With him at center we would have 3 hard cap and 3 soft cap players in the top-6, with Tightpants anchoring the 3rd line until the year after that, when he would become the top left winger in the team. Then, the team would only have to draft a right winger or center this year to be a 350 the year after this, in which the team would have 5 hard cap players and 1 soft cap player in the top-6, and of course drafting depth to get some soft capped players on the 3rd and 4th lines, and trading/FA can make this team’s forward group championship level.

DEFENCE: This team next year will have a solid top-3 setup, and personally I think adding a solid 2-way D on the left side to play with Nordstern who’s also a 2-way D to let Rashford and O’Neil be an offensive/defensive pairing. That would mean they only have to draft 2 D to have a solid D core for 3 whole seasons.

GOALIE: Not much to say, just drafting 1 goalie that stays active means this team will have solid goaltending for at least 3 seasons.

The Rookies:

Here is a quick breakdown of all of the new rookies in order of draft position:
Mikko Rashford:
Mikko is an offensive defenceman who is a Quinn Hughes/Cale Makar type, with solid speed and good offensive traits, but more like Makar as in he is sufficient in his own end.
Tommy Tightpants:
Tommy is a great well rounded winger that is 6’3, 205 pounds and plays a good physical game, and doesn’t have many weaknesses.
Jeff Larsson:
Jeff is an excellent skater, and is pretty well rounded with solid defensive stats, great offensive stats, but his best asset is definitely his skating abilities and strength.
Jay O’Neil:
Jay has the profile of an everyday defensive defenceman, with weaker offensive skills and speed but great defensive iq, positioning, checking, and everything that has to do with defence.
Alexander Mackenzie:
Alex is an offence first forward that has lacking defensive skills, but great offence and athletic abilities. He will get points for you but give up some as well, but is a guy you want on the ice when you need scoring.

VAN vs NLB
Vancouver has decided to go all in this year, and has an incredible team this year, much like the team the Berserkers fielded last year. Lets look at the difference between the prospect pools of each team, and see how well NLB’s management has done at their jobs:

PICKS THIS YEAR AND NEXT (counting first 4 rounds)
NLB: 12 (4 firsts)
VAN: 3 (1 first)
You can see that NLB will have a much easier time getting back into contention, as when you look at the picks in the next year, NLB has an extra first and 2 thirds. This will have monumental impact on both teams going forward, as VAN will have a tough time getting back into it with an incredibly dry pipeline with 0 picks this year and NLB will be able to fill a lineup full of new draftees in the next few years, including 4 first round picks over Vancouver's 1. This isn't bashing Vancouver and their management at all, in fact I think that the roster they're able to ice this year makes all of the sacrifice worth it, but this part of the post was made to show just how good NLB management has been in the past few years. The management has been great to me and the new draftees so far, and have made an insanely good team last year, and will, because of their draft pick surplus, will have a championship team in no time and will have a true dynasty.

1065 words (but the pictures for some reason count for random amounts), plus all the words in the tables that I inserted via photo 

Links: Updates | Player Page | Bank

Approved, +5 TPE to @Redderder15

[Image: CptSquall.gif]