Create Account

[2x first media] S61 SMJHL Team Rankings
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 04:45 PM by Redderder15.)

(I was told that I could use 2x first media because I have used 2x draft in my previous posts)

At this point the offseason is coming to a close and I have nothing to do, so I am using lineups I got from juke (@sharky on discord) to make a power ranking solely based off of stats and positions, both to help with mine and your predictions, and to see if we see any upsets. Each team will be ranked based on TPE in each category. Top-6 F, Top-4 D, and the starter will count for star power, while Bottom-6, 3rd pairing, and backups will count for depth ranking. So, because of my personal philosophy that depth wins championships, the depth ranking will probably carry more weight than star power, but total TPE should be the main decider. All rookies will count as 210, despite what it says on the lists. Placeholders will be 200 (unless there is say an extra F when missing a D, then it will use the extra F), just to make it fair for all teams. The numbers in brackets beside a TPE number are their ranking out of 14. So without further ado, lets get into it:
SP = Star Power | D = Defence | F = Forward
Link to the spreadsheet in case you don't have time: https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArnvEtBtnZdDiA5xJD7ApOP6PXYY
[Image: Vancouver-min.png]
[Image: unknown.png]
Total TPE: 7827 (1)
SP TPE: 4600 (1)
Depth TPE: 3227 (1)
F TPE: 4937 (1)
D TPE: 2890 (1)

I don't think it was much of a surprise that Vancouver is the top team in both categories here, which makes them the clear #1. I don't have much to say about them, as there isn't anything to talk about. No issues with the roster they have here, as they are 75 TPE (one 425 defender) away from having the perfect star power ranking. However, having 0 picks in this draft makes their future quite dim. We will have to see if they make trades to help bolster their future, but until then they are the clear top team in the league, and the four-star cup favorites. 

[Image: StLouis-min.png]
Total TPE: 6563 (2)
SP TPE: 4531 (2)
Depth TPE: 2032 (7)
F TPE: 3723 (7)
D TPE: 2840 (2)

Yeah, the gap between 1 and 2 is that big. More than a thousand TPE, holy crap. The Scarecrows come in and number 2 on this list in terms of total TPE and star power, but they are lacking a bit when it comes to depth, and unfortunately when the rookies can become 350's next year they will lose 5 hard capped players and a hard capped goalie. Ouch. STL has incredible defence, but ranks in the middle when it comes to forwards. This team doesn't look like they can really compete for the cup with this depth, especially compared to Vancouver, but they should still be the 2nd best team in the league this year and with active rookies I can see them doing well next year, but they will lose star power next year that they would need to trade tons of picks to reacquire next year, but if they do get more hard capped players by pulling a Vancouver this team could be the new #1 next year, they just need to play their cards right.

[Image: Colorado-min.png]
Total TPE: 6508 (3)
SP TPE: 4261 (6) 
Depth TPE: 2247 (3)
F TPE: 4135 (2)
D TPE: 2373 (8)

Colorado is rebuilding? No way. The number 3 spot goes to a team that so many people say is rebuilding, when they can start to win now. I always say that depth wins championships, and this team has solid depth with 3 guys over 300 on the 3rd line, and a bunch of promising rookies on the 4th. This team's is like the opposite of STL, just with slightly less TPE. Their forward group is ranked 2nd in the league where STL has 2nd in the league in defence, but both teams are ok at in the other end. This team is only on pace to lose 4 capped players next year, and gain 4 with rookies and soft cap players reaching 425. Not much to talk about with them, other than the fact that this team is ranked 3rd yet somehow is still getting better and should get better next year, but then they will lose another batch of capped players. I think they'll be around tied for 1st next year with STL when VAN loses a bunch of stars, but the key for a cup in Colorado is Nathan Mackinnon drafting well this year so they have another set of 350s ready to join next year. If they do this, I can see them being favorites 2 years from now, along with the Berserkers.

[Image: Carolina-min.png]

Total TPE: 6506 (4)
SP TPE: 4268 (5)
Depth TPE: 2238 (4)
F TPE: 3905 (3)
D TPE: 2601 (5)

The Kraken are the definition of a well rounded team. All of their rankings are between 3-5, they have players of all ages (except S58 fifth years) which includes a good balance of rookies to go up as soon as the capped players leave, but they will need to draft another D man next year to keep a solid D core. They are slightly stronger in the forward area but their defense is still above average. The Kraken I think are going to be able to stay in contention for a while with proper drafting, or they can take the all-in route and trade picks next year to go all in, as I think going all in when Vancouver exists is a bad idea. I do always prefer a one-and-done cup team over a long time above average team, but we will have to wait and see which path the Kraken go. The ball is in their court, and their decisions in this season and next could decide whether we see Carolina get a cup, or if we have to wait a few more years.

[Image: Newfoundland-min.png]

Total TPE: 6457 (5)
SP TPE: 4418 (3)
Depth TPE: 2039 (6)
F TPE: 3747 (6)
D TPE: 2710 (4)

The Newfoundland Berserkers are my team, so we may see some bias here. These stats are also with Erik Andrews playing D for now.
NLB is coming off of a historic team that was one of the best in SMJHL history, but thanks to the outstanding work of the Newfoundland GMs, they lie in a favorable future position, with 6 new draftees joining their ranks, all of them being dedicated to becoming the next greatest stars. Some of the problems we see are the fact that this team will lose so many players next year, this team probably should start selling 425s for either draft picks or S62 players, as this year NLB should remain a contender, but next year this team should suck whether they keep the 425s or move them for picks. The difference, is that if they move the 425s they would be able to make another team like their last years team 2 years from now, with their S62s becoming 425s, and the S63s that they would get from the 425s on top of the 2 firsts they have this year becoming 350s, it would be the fastest turnaround to make 2 teams of that calibre ever. Whether the GMs decide to move them or try to win this year, this NLB team has an incredibly bright future, which isn't normal for teams after a championship win in the SMJHL.

[Image: QuebecCity-min.png]

Total TPE: 6400 (6)
SP TPE: 4344 (4)
Depth TPE: 2056 (5)
F TPE: 3675 (8)
D TPE: 2725 (3)

Quebec City is definitely a defensive based team, with 3 hard capped defenders, two >250 defenders, and a rookie who should only get better. This sounds great, but they do have some issues at forward. They are going to lose 2 hard capped forwards next year, but have many young rookies and sophomores that if they improve, this team should be a top tier contender. The question is, will the rookies get better? It's not a great look when a player only reaches 232 in their rookie campaign, so they will need a bounce back out of Gamos and most of their S61 forwards. They aren't a top tier team in terms of star power or depth, but they are a solid contender in the league and if they make the right moves they should be able to emerge a top tier team in this next year, when many contenders will start to crumble.

[Image: Maine-min.png]

Total TPE: 6319 (7)
SP TPE: 4029 (8)
Depth TPE: 2290 (2)
F TPE: 3822 (4)
D TPE: 2497 (6)

It's not very common for a team that picked first in the draft to be one of the better teams in the league, but here we are. Their forward group seems active for the most part with many capped 350s, but the prized jewel is Aittokallio, their first overall pick in this draft. The rest of their prospect pool is no joke either, with known recreate SD Core on D. Their goaltending situation is solid, but the most incredible part of this team has to be having no S58 or S59s other than their starting goaltender, in which they have a solid replacement ready. This team will lose none of their skaters and if all of their rookies hit 350, this team should be one of the best in the league hands down. The future of Maine is the young guys, and they couldn't have picked better rookies to carry this burden (well they didn't pick Jeff Larsson, so their amateur scouting isn't perfect)

[Image: Anchorage-min.png]

Total TPE: 5922 (8)
SP TPE: 3927 (9)
Depth TPE: 1995 (8)
F TPE: 3802 (5)
D TPE: 2120 (9)

Anchorage's forward group is solid, their defence is one top-4 D away from being good enough for a contender, but there's one position this team is lacking in: goaltending. The team has gotten the guy they named an NHL award after, Ted Lindsay to be their goalie of the future, but he needs at least 1 year to develop. This team also doesn't have enough defenders, so I put Thomas and Doucet on D as the weakest forwards when rookies count as 210. Their defence, as previously mentioned, is lacking 1 top-4 defender, as having a sophomore that hasn't gotten a TPE yet in your top-4 is troubling at the least. They are set to lose 4 hard capped players, so I'm not sure which direction this team is going in, but we will have to wait and see how management handles this team.

[Image: GreatFalls-min.png]

Total TPE: 5767 (9)
SP TPE: 4095 (7)
Depth TPE: 1672 (14 - LAST)
F TPE: 3337 (11)
D TPE: 2430 (7)

Normally I'd expect an expansion team to have the depth but not the star power, but the Great Falls Grizzlies seem to have it backwards, and I guess it works as they are doing better than their expansion counterpart Regina (and Regina managed to get the 1st overall as well!), but they still remain in the bottom half of the league. They have 3 great prospects, 2 great rookie goalies, the best top-4 you can have, a solid top-6 except for 1 spot there. The goaltending spot has great prospects but for this year it should be a weak link. Not much to talk about for Great falls, but they should be rebuilding for this year and maybe next. We will see if they sell their 425s or if they think they have a good shot at making a good playoff push in their inaugural season.

[Image: Detroit-min.png]

Total TPE: 5583 (10)
SP TPE: 3779 (10)
Depth TPE: 1804 (12)
F TPE: 3668 (9)
D TPE: 1915 (13)

Detroit is in a rebuild, plain and simple. I think they should sell their capped players for picks and really pick a direction like what Anaheim is looking at right now. Detroit already has some good prospects, but it seems like their S61 prospects haven't really panned out except for their top defender Fandango. Their goalie situation is a bit off but if Hugh Jass does well enough and hits the 350 cap he should be able to be the goalie of the future. Again, not many comments except for the fact that they should commit to a rebuild here instead of staying too good for a 1st overall pick and wasting the value of 425s. There are issues with a full rebuild but it is the best path of action for trying to become a top tier team in the future.

[Image: Nevada-min.png]

Total TPE: 5521 (11)
SP TPE: 3673 (11)
Depth TPE: 1848 (11)
F TPE: 3409 (10)
D TPE: 2112 (10)

Nevada is in a pristine position to be a future competitor. They shouldn't lose any players due to age this year, and have many young defenders in line to make this team a true contender. Their main issue is they don't have enough young forwards to become a #1 team in the league. They need to draft forward heavy next year and develop them fast, as any busts will make this rebuild harder then it should be. Having a solid S61 goalie makes all the difference for this team, and having 2 future #1 defenceman already at the 350 cap gives off the impression that this team will be defender heavy with the 3 defence picks this draft. The main issue I would say is the S61 forwards that haven't panned out meaning that the future bottom-6 depth will be weak without trades and free agents.

[Image: Kelowna-min.png]

Total TPE: 5278 (12)
SP TPE: 3404 (12)
Depth TPE: 1874 (10)
F TPE: 3269 (12)
D TPE: 2009 (11)

I'm a huge fan of the Kelowna Knights' rebuild, especially their defensive prospects. The Kinsinger pick is being called "the pick of the draft" and I couldn't agree more. Ben Jammin is my favorite Bloons character, he's certainly better than Obyn Greenfoot. They made great picks, have so many S60 and S61s that will stay here for 2-3 years, so personally I think they have the tools to go all in next year, or maybe the year after. The goaltending situation should be fine with Lord Skrolk, but this year should be a rocky ride both in goaltending and the rest of the team, with all of their unexperienced rookies which should mean another top tier draft pick. This team probably has the brightest future out of every team in the league, but Anaheim is also doing very well in their rebuild as we will see next up.

[Image: Anaheim-min.png]

Total TPE: 4761 (13)
SP TPE: 2862 (14 - LAST)
Depth TPE: 1899 (9)
F TPE: 2797 (14 - LAST)
D TPE: 1964 (12)

Anaheim only has 3 people including their starter that are S60 or under. Everyone else is a sophomore or a rookie. Talk about a rebuild. The pure amount of rookies is astonishing, and that means this team will all peak at the same team, and if everyone remains active they should be able to be competitive for 2-3 years of being a top tier team, which seems impossible, but Talls is doing incredibly as a GM. The unfortunate truth is that some of them will go inactive, so this may take 1 more solid draft year of selling rentals to get more picks to ensure being the literal best team in the league for years to come. I love rebuilds like this, as you can see a clear direction and what they are trying to go for and it should work well. This is a team I can get behind and I love the way Talls is managing this team. This team's future looks incredibly bright, unlike the next team that we will see here.

[Image: Regina-min.png]

Total TPE: 4683 (LAST)
SP TPE: 2951 (13)
Depth TPE: 1732 (13)
F TPE: 3014 (13)
D TPE: 1669 (LAST)

This team seems like they're trying to do what Anaheim is doing, but isn't fully committed. They need to sell their capped players and get more S62 players or draft picks for S63, but holding on to S59s is a bad idea as it makes you do better than you should aim for (even though they're last) and S59s have value around the league. Regina needs to pick a lane and stick to it. I don't have much to say about Regina other than they need to commit to something, and they need to make great draft choices next draft and start selling.

The rankings are here if you didn't fully process all of the info or remember it:

1) Vancouver Whalers
2) St Louis Scarecrows
3) Colorado Raptors
4) Carolina Kraken
5) Newfoundland Berserkers
6) Quebec City Citadelles 
7) Maine Timber
8) Anchorage Armada
9) Great Falls Grizzlies
10) Detroit Falcons
11) Nevada Battleborn
12) Kelowna Knights 
13) Anaheim Outlaws
14) Regina Elks

Word count (using wordcounter.net): 2840, plus the estimated 588 words in the pictures/banners, so 3428 total

Links: Updates | Player Page | Bank

Nice, vewy cool. Go whales!

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska

so fucking hot my god how can one man be so talented at writing media mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fuck

[Image: OzriPox.png]

Player Page - Update Page

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho

08-25-2021, 05:14 PMJustice Wrote: so fucking hot my god how can one man be so talented at writing media mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fuck

Thanks I guess

Love this. Awesome article. One critique: some teams have more than 20 rostered at this time which may affect the TPE counts a little bit.

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

Nice stuff, will be interesting to see how the season shapes out once the rookies start to prove themselves!

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

08-25-2021, 06:47 PMBy-Tor Wrote: Love this. Awesome article. One critique: some teams have more than 20 rostered at this time which may affect the TPE counts a little bit.

I just used a 12F 6D 2G lineup if that's what you mean, you can see on the spreadsheet

the numbers are bullshit propaganda put out by the powers that be. you are more than the sum of your TPE. do your own research and free yourself.

[Image: x7WZYBT.gif]
[Image: hTAHbeC.png][Image: OaCJVMI.png] | [Image: pMYriGC.png]

now this is some great content!

[Image: A12A5Km.png]

08-25-2021, 09:27 PMlmao Wrote: now this is some great content!

Thanks! I spent 5 hours on this, so good to see people liking it