Create Account

Last few weeks was exciting - interview with founder of Great Falls Grizzlies
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2021, 10:01 AM by Lukstins88.)

Last training camp day. Tomorrow teams will play their first pre season friendly games. For Great Falls Grizzlies this day is doubly excited, not only season is upon corner, but because tomorrow they will debut in SMJHL game, even if it is a pre season friendly game but still at this level team from Great Falls will play first time. That is why "Sport Life in Montana" have invited for an interview founder and owner of the Great Falls Grizzlies team Geekusoid. And he kindly agreed to have a small chat with us.

Jean Pierre Bear: Thanks Geekusoid for finding time to do this interview. I know that last few weeks must be very hectic.

Geekusoid: Thanks for the invite. I am always open to talk with media. It is true, last few weeks have been very tough and sometimes, like you said, they were pretty hectic. On other hand these weeks were very exciting too. We could not wait to get to work.

Jean Pierre Bear: We will talk about off season in a minute. I think not only I but fans too want to know, why Great Falls? Why even state of Montana?

Geekusoid: Great Falls and the Billings, MT are large in Team USA hockey for the juniors circuit. Surprisingly, in the middle of nowhere, there is a huge hockey presence. Despite that, there are not really any major, or for that matter, major junior hockey teams in the region. That is where we came in when SMJHL was proposing expansion. We just wanted to bring some high level hockey to this great state.

Jean Pierre Bear: And why exactly Grizzlies?

Geekusoid: It is simple. When you look around SMJHL you can see teams like Outlaws and Boats. Birds and Trees. You really do not have large land mammals and that is a representation in SHL as well ... maybe except for the Panthers. I guess they count. However, Grizzlies are large, menacing and strong. Everyone is scared of grizzlies. 

Jean Pierre Bear: So everyone can fear team?

Geekusoid. Yes exactly. Mascots, and the principal ideas behind them should be intimidating, to an extent, when you are dealing with competitive sports.

Jean Pierre Bear: Lets talk about off season. With new team coming in to this league it must be very hard. So many thing to deal with, but overall how was this off season?

Geekusoid: Overall I will say that this off season was pretty average. It was much harder since last season ended so later than planned. It felt that off season was rushed honestly and for us as a new team it was not ideal. Regardless of those challenges places on top of  the challenges of establishing of the new expansion team I think it went over pretty well. 

Jean Pierre Bear: First thing after have team founded was expansion draft. How was that?

Geekusoid: It was exciting. Expansion draft not only defined our as a new teams nearest future but we had to send a message to other teams that we are here to stay and we will be team that everybody needs to respect from day one.

Jean Pierre Bear: Why Grizzlies picked up exactly those guys in expansion draft?

Geekusoid: Originally in expansion draft, we were going to focus entirely on youth, but then as time drew closer we felt ... if we played our cards right ... that we could possibly obtain some key offensive and defensive veterans to help us establish the baseline expectations for the team. Veterans could bring in knowledge to help us as a new team not only on the ice, but in the locker room too. Also it would help, candidly speaking, drive team sales as expansion teams are supposed to be new and invigorating. If we would start off terrible and  not be somewhat competitive and with only youth roster it could possibly be like that ... what would that say fans about the Grizzlies franchise as a whole.

Jean Pierre Bear: After expansion draft came S61 entry draft. Another exciting and challenging event.

Geekusoid: True it was challenging because we were able to pick only three guys, but these three picks helped compliment those veterans we selected in expansion draft. So I am satisfied with our work in both drafts.

Jean Pierre Bear: But just few minutes after expansion draft team gave away expansion drafts first pick Rinky McDangle. What happened there?

Geekusoid: Ah yes, Rinky. Rinky to the credit of the Raptors, is one hell of a hockey player. What happened? Well as an expansion team, getting players was the number one priority. One of the ways that was accomplished was to negotiate behind the scenes mutual agreements with the teams who had exposed players. Colorado happened to be one of them. So, in exchange for a large selection of picks, and one later round pick from us back, we came to the agreement that we would select McDangle and trade him back to Colorado. This not only protected Colorado's roster, but also handed us several draft picks that we would need to help fill out the roster. It was like playing chess, had to move right pieces to get to positive result.

Jean Pierre Bear: And third part of busy off season was of course free agent market and trading. What can you say about that?

Geekusoid: In one word work in free agents market was poor. It is understandable because we are new team and no one trusts new team everyone wants to go to team that has name in the league. 

Jean Pierre Bear: What about trades? Team got some good players out from trades too.

Geekusoid: I was not the one who was dealing with trades, so I will not be able to answer how those trade talks went.

Jean Pierre Bear: But you have seen trade reports. 

Geekusoid: True. I think team did good job in trades. We got some good players, players who have established themselves in this league. Of course we gave away a lot of draft picks but it was for better goal. We lost Rinky but in different trade we got Sekai Wollker who in my opinion is great addition to this team.

Jean Pierre Bear: Apart from everything what happened in off season looking from a side overall are you satisfied with what happened in off season?

Geekusoid: With all things taken into consideration, I could say that the off season was satisfactory.

Jean Pierre Bear: Since all guys came in from different teams how is the atmosphere in locker room? Is there any problems?

Geekusoid: The atmosphere is fantastic. Biggest problem with new teams in every league is that big mix of players coming in from different teams and it could cause some problems and we were ready for that but I am surprised how our team jived pretty well from the get go. They all are excited at the idea of being Grizzlies and being able to be the record setters, instead of the record chasers.

Jean Pierre Bear: As we all know tomorrow is Grizzlies first ever SMJHL match. It will be friendly game but never the less it will be teams first ever game at this level. Do you feel team is prepared for it because looking at the roster there are many guys with very less or even none experience in this level.

Geekusoid: Of course as a founder of the new team I am worried about how will all end up. Will we be contenders or we will fail badly. For now young guys and the vets were acclimating to each other nicely and at the training camp we were able to really get a closer look at the talent and what they bring to the table. Young guys ask vets for advice and vets are open to help young guys too.

Jean Pierre Bear: Returning to the roster. Like you said Grizzlies have balance between young guys and vets but looking at teams roster and seeing what team have and now with training camp coming to the end, what can you say about roster overall.

Geekusoid: You said it, we have a nice balance between young guys and vets. That is good. However there are some individuals that will need to pick up the pace or I fear they will probably have to look elsewhere for employment.

Jean Pierre Bear: Where is problem with those guys? Attitude?

Geekusoid: Attitude at trainings. Some individuals just need time to get use to SMJHL level and I know they will do that because I saw how hard they worked in training camp and saw the spark in the eyes. Altough there are some individuals whose attitude can not be changed unless they do that themselves. 

Jean Pierre Bear: Looking at the roster we all can see and guess who should be leaders on the ice. With end of the training camp how you see who will be the leaders on ice? Will it be guys who we all suspect or maybe some young guy can be in mix too?

Geekusoid: We recently had a captaincy vote among the players of the team. They have, I feel, as good as an eye for the leadership group as the management team. We have some fantastic leaders in out Captain and Alternate Captains, all of which are league veterans.

Jean Pierre Bear: Yes we all read that article about Grizzlies captains but I will say that Bjorn is going in to his rookie season. Even teams captain Grogu will debut in SMJHL. Can they really be those leaders?

Geekusoid: It was players choice and actually I am very excited to see how it will play out. Bjorn and Grogu have shown their leadership in the locker room and that tells me that they are ready to lead this team on ice too. It will be great to see them really start to mold into their roles on the ice in the future as well. There will be guys who will score goals and will be leaders on ice and then there are leaders in locker room. Like I already said we have great balance in this team.

Jean Pierre Bear: What can fans expect from Grizzlies in their debut season in SMJHL?

Geekusoid: I think fans can expect us to be competitors. Everyone on the team is hungry, not only for the idea of going for a championship ... but they are hungry like they are out to prove something. Nothing can be scarier, or tougher than a hungry grizzly bear.

Jean Pierre Bear: Have team set any goals for the debut? Or this season will be "just go out there and have fun" season?

Geekusoid: No, no, we will take this serious. Our goals for the debut season are multi-faceted. We have to grow as a new team and new organization. The line chemistry is new and not seasoned like it will be on other teams. With that being said, I also feel that if everyone on the team keeps their focus, we can have a legitimate shot at playoffs in our debut season. Even if we do not make it all the way to the 4-Star, I think we definitely want to make a statement in our inaugural year. Grizzlies are here to stay and other teams will need to accept that.

Jean Pierre Bear: Thanks Geekusoid for finding time to do this interview. All here, not only in Great Falls, but in all state of Montana can not wait for Grizzlies to step on ice and show what this team can do.

Geekusoid: Thanks for having me Jean Pierre. It is always my pleasure to talk to the media, especially local media.

That was interview with SMJHL teams Great Falls Grizzlies founder and owner Geekusoid.

Remember fans tomorrow, with home game against Nevada, Grizzlies will debut at this level of junior hockey. Of course all fans are welcomed and lets go Grizzlies   Grizzlies Grizzlies Grizzlies

Jean Pierre Bear, "Sports Life in Montana"
**2230 words**

Drafted 59th Overall in SMJHL S58 draft by Anchorage Armada
Drafted 9th in SMJHL S60 expansion draft by Great Falls Grizzlies
Drafted 36th Overall in SHL S59 draft by Calgary Dragons

[Image: lux2.png]

Great job man!! Looking forward to the season Grizzlies

In the words of @arturs33

Slams salmon on the table

This is good!  Grizzlies Grizzlies Grizzlies Grizzlies Grizzlies

Grizzlies

Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]
[Image: AceIn603.gif]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

*slams salmon on the table*

[Image: ieNy2MY.jpg]
Not gonna thank anyone

08-28-2021, 12:15 PMarturs33 Wrote: *slams salmon on the table*

Of course you are

Drafted 59th Overall in SMJHL S58 draft by Anchorage Armada
Drafted 9th in SMJHL S60 expansion draft by Great Falls Grizzlies
Drafted 36th Overall in SHL S59 draft by Calgary Dragons

[Image: lux2.png]

Great Falls Turning these players into media killers!
+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria