Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #2- Carolina Kraken
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2021, 12:29 PM by Opera_Phantom.)

Deep Dive 2, Carolina Kraken- First Week of Games

For my second deep dive I chose to write on the team that my team is currently fighting against for first place. (My team being the Newfoundland Berserkers) With that team being and currently holding first place, the Carolina Kraken. What we will be looking at in this deep dive will be, general player stats (how many are on leader board’s) as well as some team stats, comparing them to the rest of the league, and their division.

So, to start the deeper look we will first look at the Kraken’s record and team stats. Currently the Kraken are first in the league, with a record of 11-3-0, with Newfoundland only trailing behind because of 1 win, however, Newfoundland has one less game played than the Kraken. The Kraken also are 4th in the league for goals for, 6th in the league for goals against, and 5th in the league for Goal differential.  Keeping them in the top half of all the teams in the league. They can score goals and generally keep the puck out of the net.
            For their division they are easily running away with first place as both other teams in their division, Great Fall’s and Anaheim, are both lower than 500, and really on the bottom end of the league. (Which is not surprising and was more so expected.) For first place in the conference however, the Kraken’s real opponent is the Vancouver Whalers, it a is a close race for that one with the Kraken only leading by 2 points, although the Whalers could have the lead if they won their OT games instead of losing them. But there will be a bigger battle for first in the Pacific division between these two tough teams and will be exciting to see who comes out on top.

Those were the team stats, next we will look at the player stats, see how many Kraken are in the top 10 but see also who they should watch out for. Before looking in the top 10 we will look at the top Kraken in each category (on just their team, then compared to the top of the league).

I should stat that the stats in which we will be looking at for skaters will be Goals, Assist’s, Point’s, plus/minus, Shots/shooting percentage, give away, take away’s. Some stats will favour forwards some will favor defensemen. The Goalie stats we will be looking at are Wins, Goals Against average and Save percentage.
For the first stat Goals, Cormac Ponaire is the leader for the Kraken with 7 goals, and in the top 10 he ranks 9th (a lot of players tied with 7).
For Assist’s Lucas Raymond and Eddie Kastrba are tied with 9, and in the top 10 there are no Kraken players as the number to break top 10 is, 10.
For points Cormac takes the number one spot again for his team, and he also took the number 10 spot in the top 10. (It will be noticed that there are not a lot of Kraken players in the top 10 but still they are leading the league as a team. This same trend happened with the Berserkers last year and they won a championship).
The +/- stat has a tie for first on the Kraken, with Kastrba and Vincent Fox taking that position, unfortunately their score of 9 is not enough to crack the top 10 for the league.
The shot leader for the Kraken is Granny PanPan, however his/her shooting percentage isn’t high with it being 9.4% he does make the top 10 in shots though placing 4th, the highest placing Kraken in the stats we are looking at. Although Granny PanPan is the shot leader the shot percentage leader for the Kraken is Harald Malmquist, with a great shot percentage at an even 25%, and the Kraken have two players in the top ten placing 7th and 8th.
The next stat is showing the player that is giving up the puck the most, which is give away’s. Now this doesn’t necessarily mean that the player listed is a bad player but does not help their team defensively thus far. Now there are two players tied for give away leader that being Lucas Raymond, and Marek Skoda both with 13 give away’s.
The opposite stat of the stat that we previously mentioned is take away’s if the first stat is hurting your team defensively then this one is helping, the leader in this stat is helping their team take the puck from the other team (as obviously named). The leader for the Kraken in this stat is Granny PanPan.
There is no top 10 for either of these stats because they are more in-depth stat to look at rather than surface stat like goals or points.
The next stats we will be looking at will be the goalie stats.
The Kraken goalie, Meeka Keprosoft leads in all three categories we set out at the beginning for goalies, those stats being wins, goals against average and save percentage, as a result I will just state his stats and if/where he places on the top 10 lists.
Keprosoft currently holds 7 of the 11 wins, a GAA of 2.73, and a save percentage of 0.917. In my opinion the GAA is a little higher than you want but it has only been 10 games that he/she played in thus far so a very short sample size. The save percentage though is decent if we are comparing it to todays NHL. These would be decent stat for an NHL goalie, but we are not in the NHL but instead the SJHL, so let’s see how Keprosoft compared to other goalies in the league.
For wins, Keprosoft is 5th in the league tied with two other goalies, so he/she is in the top five of goalies so far. For GAA Keprosoft is 6th, taking that one to him/herself and for Save percentage he/she is 5th again. Being above average for the goalies in the league, just outside top 5 in all categories but still very successful despite.

Although single players on the Kraken are not showing up within the top 10 in the league the team itself is so far doing successful, they are first in the league thus far for a reason. It is a team effort over single players. Which makes for successful teams, championship winning teams. Although what I have stated above should be taken as a grain of salt because this is just short sample size and shows how well the team has done in the first week of games, this could show how well they do throughout the season, or it can all drop off. Only time will tell. Thus concludes my deep dive on the first place Carolina Kraken, best of luck on the rest of the season but I do hope the Berserkers take that first place from you. (word count -1158)

Berserkers Patriotes Finland
[Image: EX8JdSr.png][Image: yGcdOWc.png][Image: Bphj82E.png] [Image: BxfKXyg.png] Credit to Redderder15 for the sig
[Image: UDU9SiD.gif]

Approved!

+5 TPE @DrB1gMack