Create Account

Knights - Half Season Rebuild Check In
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2021, 07:05 PM by VillageBC.)

The Kelowna Knights have undertaken an ambitious rebuilding strategy in the last 2 drafts. While most teams have a few core players to build around from S58/S59. The Knights have foregone that entirely, relying heavily on 19 players from S61/S62 around a small core of 4 S60 players. The obvious implication is the Knights are not looking to be competitive this season, but where do they stand? In the pie chart, it looks like this.

[Image: XBZtEYUWsByb10s2QjLk0091bGyJH_OYIiSZSz4M...3TKkZy5=s0]

Unfortunately, those small S60 core players have stopped improving and contribute a poor 1044 TPE amongst them, or an average of 261 TPE per player. This is absolutely not good enough to move the needle and I would expect the team to be looking to move on from them next season with the exception of Satoru Gojo. While his development has stalled, his experience gives him the edge and currently 2nd on the team in points with 30.

The S61 crop of 9 has a couple of absolute studly players and contributes a full 43.7% of the teams TPE and an average of 272 TPE per player out classing the S60 players. Unfortunately 3 of those players that started out strong appear to have topped out. But the remaining class is making up for them in a big way. 5 of the players have maxed out at 350 TPE. For this class Duncan Mackenzie currently leads the team in scoring with 12 goals and 32 points total. Petr Svoboda is 3rd overall with 9 goals for 26 points overall.

The Knights again went all in with S62 draft class selecting 10 players over all. Perhaps some of them were a bit of a deep reach with DJ Monaco and Mikko Feller stalling right out of the gate. However, as a group it still contributes 37.7% of the team TPE. The remaining 8 while only having an average of 212 TPE per player, have been putting in extra time in the gym and training to make up the points deficit. Ben Jammin, Christian Kinsinger & Ignaz Pleyel are all pushing at being max earners with over 250 TPE half way through the season. Others are comfortably sitting past the 200 TPE point and continue to gain. Their goalie of the future Lord Skrolk has been impressive, earning steadily and has a .917 save percentage with 2 shutouts.

The Sum Greater than the Parts

Surprisingly, the Kelowna Knights hold 3rd in the conference and 2nd within their division with 2 games at hand with the chasing teams. While at a disadvantage in pure TPE terms to the other 3 teams in the division. Pretty impressive for a team predicted to finish last in the division. They have put together a superior defensive squad and the emergence of Lord Skrolk to solidify the team's back end by only allowing 2.88 goals per game, which is good for 5th in the league. They score at the exact same rate at 2.88 which is good for 9th.

2nd Half of the Season

The second half of the season is going to rely heavily on Lord Skrolk and the defensive core being able to maintain their dominance, allowing the offense to catch up and become a bigger part of the picture. The lack of a viable backup goalie is a concern and it would be nice if the Knights could bring one in. But this isn’t a season the team expects to challenge for the cup and even if in playoff contention it should look at selling to bring in more draft picks.

The Future Wave

The way the Knights are currently constructed with the recent drafting, they are looking to build a contender whose wave should start to crest 2 seasons from now. This is not their season and I think another season of many draft picks to fill the remaining spots and replace those stalled in development is still required. They should likely look to sell for additional picks heading into the trade deadline. But the trend is positive and the fact they are already winning shows their approach is working for the team.

(685 words of bad grammar, I don't know why the extra spaces.. I've removed them and they come back)

[Image: I3BTEQc.png] [Image: oMh09WY.png] [Image: pxjucze.png]

Would be 1st if they drafted Jeff

Links: Updates | Player Page | Bank

09-14-2021, 09:40 PMRedderder15 Wrote: Would be 1st if they drafted Jeff
Crapping on my tweets.. Crapping on my threads.. Wink

[Image: I3BTEQc.png] [Image: oMh09WY.png] [Image: pxjucze.png]

09-15-2021, 05:43 PMVillageBC Wrote:
09-14-2021, 09:40 PMRedderder15 Wrote: Would be 1st if they drafted Jeff
Crapping on my tweets.. Crapping on my threads.. Wink

It's not crapping on your threads, its the truth :kek:

Links: Updates | Player Page | Bank