Create Account

Hoovuh's What If? - SMJHL Teams as Soccer Clubs

So this series has taken me roughly 2 weeks of on and off work and combines a few of my favorite things; hockey, soccer, and graphics stuff. I have seen similar series on various sports and graphics forums where people would redesign real life teams from actual sports leagues as a different sport (what if the MLB teams were actually NBA teams, what if NHL teams were NFL teams, etc). So I decided to just do that but with the SMJHL and what if they were soccer clubs. I have taken inspiration from the various soccer (football) clubs worldwide and applied those concepts to help create some new crests (except the Quebec City alt logo which works pretty well as a soccer logo, the overall design of Nevada’s secondary and the M shape for Maine) and designed full kits for each team. The parts of the presentation image for each team includes the Logo, what the captain’s armband would look like, socks, the front and back of either the home or away kit, and the front of the shorts (which remain the same for both home and away kits).

OUTLAWS SOCCER CLUB
First up is my look for what the Anaheim Outlaws could look like as the Outlaws Soccer Club. I got my inspiration from Fiorentina FC in the Italian Serie A. I really liked the idea of having a cowboy hat merged with the bottom part of the Fiorentina logo to where it looks like a bandana. On the hat, is a little rabbit’s foot which pays homage to the previous logo of Anaheim which featured a rabbit. The home kit is loosely based on the current home kits, but the arm sleeve design is shifted to the middle of the shirt. The away kit has a slight sand texture to it and uses the skin tone color from the original logo. In hindsight this is probably not my favorite kit I designed as it looks like flesh, but oh well.
[Image: kDlAZBG.png]
[Image: 8XZqR5p.png]

ANCHORAGE FOOTBALL CLUB

Anchorage was the first of the designs in this series that I worked on. My inspiration for the logo for this team was based off of some concept designs for Manchester City that features an old ship with some stripes underneath it. I took this idea and ran with it by finding a ship outline similar to the Anchorage Class Navy Destroyer and then adding some alternating-colored stripes which reminded me of the dazzle camouflage used by navy ships in WW1 and WW2. The home kit features the darker blue color and white and a sublimated wave like pattern. I really enjoyed how dynamic this design looked. The away kit is much more simple with the lighter blue color in prominence, and keeping the dark color socks to “represent the dark waters that the battleships operate in” (according to the owners/designer of the kits in my head canon for this team).
[Image: VD2RF4W.png]
[Image: 0Sxrh4N.png]

CAROLINA SOCCER CLUB
Carolina Soccer Club was a blast to work on as a logo concept and I am really, really happy about how the logo turned out. Its probably one of my favorites in this series. I found a really neat looking squid silhouette and applied it to a shield shape that I laid out. The star in the middle of the orange field is from the North Carolina flag and I thought it’d be a neat attrition to add to the would be otherwise blank space. The home kit is the dark grey the Kraken use and white with a sublimated tentacle pattern, and the away kit is orange, that dark grey and then white with same sublimated tentacle pattern. Not much more to say about this team, but yeah I really like how this turned out.
[Image: urZyRK7.png]
[Image: lAHkjXa.png]

COLORADO RAPTOR SOCCER CLUB
I had a really hard time with this concept, and I had to go back and revisit it multiple times. Originally I had taken Burnley’s logo from the English Premier League as inspiration but trashed the logo as I didn’t like how it turned out. After a few days I went back to the drawing board and found a raptor silhouette and overlaid it on the “C” logo that Colorado uses on their flag. I think that this attempt turned out much better and I am glad that I took some time to redesign how it looked. The home kit is mostly the beautiful blue Colorado uses for their logo with the not so beautiful yellow on the shoulders and sleeve cuff stripes. There is a very subtle and simple line pattern on this kit which gives the eye a little something more to look at. The away kit basically replaces the blue on the main body of the jersey with yellow and keeping the blue sleeves.
[Image: auODLth.png]
[Image: Tl4cSZ2.png]

DETROIT UNITED
Simple and classic the direction I went with the Falcon set. I based the logo design off of the first one used by the team. An olde’ English D letter was a must, and the top striping of the logo is based off of the sleeve striping the team uses normally. The wing shapes should be easily recognizable as I just cropped them off of the current logo and stuck em on there. For the kits I kept it simple and basically the same, just swapping red and white on the main body of the jerseys. On the away though, I did decide to keep red along the flanks of the jersey just for some oompf.
[Image: GQmOh1m.png]
[Image: dDyCsyF.png]

GREAT FALLS SOCCER CLUB
One of my favorite football logos is FC Copenhagen and I thought that the Grizzlies could really look neat with a redesign based off of that. The bear head perfectly substitutes the lions head in the logo and I think that the color scheme lends itself very well to creating such a simple and effective logo. I decided to change the color scheme up a tiny bit by adding a darker shade of brown and “relegating” the previous main color as a tertiary color for the logo. On the home kit, this color was actually used as the primary color, however. The 3 browns used on the home kit look really good together (in my opinion) and I originally had this being a pretty simple and standard kit, but it looked a little off. That’s when I decided to go about adding the claw marks on the upper left and bottom right parts of the kit. That addition added so much to the overall look. For the away kit I wanted to create a pretty dramatic look, so I went with the lightest of the browns and made the primary color black. The contrast makes everything pop and would be an awesome clash kit against most of the other teams in this series.
[Image: EUPMfro.png]
[Image: 2GT9UCs.png]

KELOWNA CITY
Since Kelowna is my current SMJHL team and I have been apart of them for my last couple of players, I consider them pretty close to a “hometown” team, so I had to base it off of my own “hometown” team of Pordenone FC of Serie B in Italy. Pordenone’s logo is essentially a P in a shield shape, so I figured I could make an attempt at doing a K in that same style. I ended up darkening the green used in Kelowna’s color scheme to make the contrast between that one and the yellow. The 3 swords in the logo also help to represent the nickname for the team as “the Knights”. For both kits there is a subtle sublimation of a metallic texture (which is much more apparent on the original and not scaled down images). The darker shade of green takes the primary color with yellow as the lettering color. The away kit keeps the green on the shoulders but changes the main body color to the green. These kits really give me a “classic” soccer kit style and is among my favorites for how they look.
[Image: QyhnglR.png]
[Image: Hl06g66.png]

MAINE SPORTING CLUB
Maine is another logo that I had to come back multiple times to get “right”. I really like the M with overgrowth or thorns on it, so I decided to incorporate it into this attempt. The outer part of the circle resembles a saw blade which of course relates to the cutting of wood (timbers). Also, a bit more subtle in the design is the brown inner field which resembles the inner part of a tree (rings). You may think that the kits for this set are pretty similar to what I did with Kelowna’s, but I’d say no they aren’t. Different color scheme, the shoulder/arm design is different, and the logo is different. But yeah that is a pretty valid critique, but again, I think that this design is a simple and effective one for the team’s style.
[Image: CLLBcQx.png]
[Image: IjqsQy5.png]

BATTLEBORN UNITED
The secondary logo that the Nevada Battleborn uses is fantastic for the basis of a soccer logo, so I went about recreating and adjusting that a bit. I simplified the mountains and added a wordmark to occupy the empty space in the middle of the logo. Having the words either white or the tan didn’t look too good, so I decided to literally split the difference and made what I think is a pretty rad looking wordmark. For the home kit, I carried this half white, half tan to the back of the shirt . For the rest of the set, it is a pretty classic looking design that reminds me a bit of Arsenal but blue. For the away kit, the half white, half tan didn’t really work, so I just went with the tan. The shoulders and arms stay the same for both kits, but white takes over the primary kit color for the main body.
[Image: fPLP0DT.png]
[Image: 95OndKw.png]

NEWFOUNDLAND BERSERKERS
This is the only club for the series where I didn’t decide to change the name or add Soccer/Football club to it. I couldn’t figure out anything different, so I decided to keep it with a more MLS naming convention which works. The inspiration for the logo was based off of a concept logo I saw for the Germany Football Association and thought it could work for this. The axe design is Norseish and the font is a Nordic font that I found. For the home kit, I had always wanted to have there be a giant sublimated axe, so the axes in the logo just fit perfectly for that. Grey is a major color for the Berserker color scheme, but grey cannot and should not be used as a primary color for sports uniforms as it has a crazy weird effect on the human eye when in motion (which is why you won’t see many if any at all grey jerseys in any sports). Although it may also mess with the eyes, the red is a very bright away color. It’s much simpler as it does not feature the sublimated axes on it.
[Image: 4OfLwb9.png]
[Image: f5UH4tP.png]

CLUB DE FOOTBALL QUEBEC
This is the only logo in this series where I use the entirety of an already existing logo. The secondary is absolutely perfect for a more modern soccer logo. The designs for both the home and away were ripped directly from the current home and away kits for the hockey teams. The designs scream soccer kit, so I decided not to mess with a good thing. My quickest and laziest of these kits, but I like it.
[Image: WsNpKPg.png]
[Image: cNDmS4v.png]

CLUB REGINA
To start off, I hate this color scheme, but wanted to do a fully custom and “modern” look for this team. With the trend for teams to move to simple and iconic looking logos (I.e. Juventes), I wanted to try my hand at that trend. I went with creating a stylized R that looks like an Elk with a massive set of horns (I hope it comes across that way). Not much to say about the home and away kits besides the each feature a massive hoops on the center of the kit that is only on the front side. The design is the same for each of the shirts, but are color mirrored.
[Image: uo0vieX.png]
[Image: d4uKfBo.png]

SPORTING ST. LOUIS
I had originally wanted to completely change up the color scheme for the scarecrows to mimic that of St. Louis’ flag, but ultimately decided to go against that. The logo is based off of a small Austrian football club named SV Horn, but it is very simple compared to what I have for SSTL. The red white and blue portion on the logo is straight from the St. Louis flag. Again, like the last couple of designs, the home and away kit are fairly similar to each other in design. The striping pattern in each of the kits is the same (except the away kit features a thicker black bottom stripe) and the difference being the overall shirt colors (yellow vs white). Not much more to say about this set, but can you tell I am getting tired from writing?
[Image: tnfnVor.png]
[Image: yD5E52p.png]

VANCOUVER WHALERS SOCCER CLUB

The last set in the series is the Vancouver Whalers SC. This is actually a recycled logo that I made a couple of years ago (besides an addition of SC) for a potential redesign for the actual Whalers team. I really love this style of logo and wish that the Vancouver GMs would look at changing the Vancouver logo that we currently have (that I designed when I wasn’t very good at photoshop and graphics work). Anyways moving on from that, the logo features what can only be recognized as an Orca or Killer whale front and center within a roundel, flanked on each side by 2 different color stripes. For the kits, I wanted to incorporate the green and blue stripe into the design, so on the home kit, it is featured on the sleeves with green on the main body, and on the away kit it is on the sleeves and on the chest. This set is for sure in my top 5 for this series, and even though I am currently a member of Kelowna and a rival to Vancouver, Vancouver was my first team in the league, and has a special part of me, so I had to do them justice in a kit design.
[Image: o2aXUV9.png]
[Image: j3ICDOO.png]

So that’s it. My own Hoovuh’s What If? Graphics series. Let me know what you think, what you like, dislike, comments, critiques, etc, etc. Hope you’ve enjoyed.

[Image: ZLoVQGU.png]
[Image: M02LOrx.png]

- Profile Page - Update Page -

These are great! I especially love the custom logos and that Kraken one is A++.

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

I'm biased but GFG's are easily the absolute best, they are absolutely fire. Terrific work on all the kits, though, not a bad one in the bunch!

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

This is an outstanding piece of work

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

These are amazing!

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Every single one of these is straight up Fire. I should be biased towards the black GFG but damn if my eyes aren’t immediately drawn to QCC. That one just pops for me.

Absolutely outstanding stuff

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Oh these are hot

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Those look great, all of them.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]

Oh these are incredible

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

Wow, these are amazing. The logos are beautiful!
(anyone else who started to wish for an SHL soccer spin-off?)

[Image: sulov.gif]

These logos though!

Japan Outlaws Blizzard  Blizzard Outlaws Japan

[Image: Talls.gif]

[Image: aAYvaDO.png][Image: wFihEpr.png][Image: FcT7qtH.png][Image: NwdnVLP.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: o2NPreS.png]

+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Holy shit these all look amazing! I actually wanna wear more than a few of them, great work!

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

Your work is always super tight, Hoov! Love the Nevada kit a lot!

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia