Create Account

S61 DFA Bounties #1 - The Past
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2021, 05:44 AM by Mutedfaith.)

Hello new players!

From the Trade Deadline to the posting of the first task completable for TPE, whether that be the Interested Prospects Threads, Early Bird PT, Mock Draft, etc., DFAs will be able to complete weekly DFA Bounties. These Bounties will function practically identically to PTs, but with money instead of TPE, and will be posted in this part of the forums. By writing 250 words or completing a graphic for a certain prompt, DFAs will earn $500,000 for their bank accounts, with a cap of 4 completed bounties ($2,000,000).

Since the trade deadline was last Saturday, I am pleased to bring you the first S62 DFA Bounty:

Written Task: Only the best of the best make it into the SMJHL. Junior players from all over the world come to this league in the hopes of being drafted, becoming a succesful SMJHL player and continuining that succes in the SHL. But we all have a history too. What is your history? Where did you play? How did you do? How did your career look so far, and what aspects of your player in their pre-SMJHL career is going to make your player succeed? (250 word min.)

Graphic Task: Pictures say more than a thousand words. Show us a pic of the young you, playing hockey. Include your player name and a render of your younger self, and at least one statline.

Reward: $500,000

Only current SMJHL Draftable Free Agents (S62 SMJHL Draftees, SHL class of S63) are eligible for this bounty.

There is no need to claim this anywhere. After grading the money should pop up in your account 'automatically'.

Deadline: Sunday, September 26th @ 11:59pm EST

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

My player is Wendolene Ramsbottom. Originally the player is from the UK, because that is where the inspiration for the player name came from, from the classic tv show Wallace and Grommit. In the episode she is in, Wendolene is someone who owns a wool shop. I still haven't fully figured out how Wendolene would come to the SHL or how it makes sense that she is now an ice hockey player but I guess the best idea I have is just that she is doing ice hockey as a hobby and ends up being really good at it. In the Juniors here in the SHL, I have been playing for the St. Louis Scarecrows, a great team in my eyes. We have had a solid season so far somewhere in the midfield. My player is a defender and has played there this season. So far this season I have gotten 4 goals and 9 assists, equalling 13 points for the team. I have had 35 blocks and 65 hits so clearly hits is my specialty. No one messes with Wendolene. I am hopeful that I will be picked fairly high in the SHL draft and hopefully by a team that really wants me. I think this player will be decently successful, because I am much more active now and want to max earn on this player. I think this gives me a chance to really make Wendolene something special in this league and I look foward to proving myself and showing the world what Wendolene can do.

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

Ivan Lacksamus just announced his eligibility and is looking to make his SMJHL debut this upcoming season. The right winger is hoping to up his game as he enters the professional league with dreams of becoming a well rounded point scorer. In his previous life he was an assist machine but is hoping that he'll focus on putting more of the puck into the net rather than being a setup man and enjoy all the spoils that come with big numbers that the stars have. Lacksamus is confident that with the right team he'll be able to add to the successes and try to land a few of those really shiny cups.

Ivan's backstory isn't extremely different from many others that play in the SMJHL and SHL - he grew up in Switzerland and hockey was all around him. Shortly after learning to walk he was put on skates and spent the majority of his childhood with a hockey stick in his hand working to be one of the greats. While not from some great lineage, he's confident that his dedication to the game and self improvement will take his far within the SHL. Ivan had some lower level success through his high school career but is looking to step up his game as he enters the SMJHL.

On a personal note - Ivan is quite social and loves the time at the rink whether actively playing or just hanging out with his teammates. Unsurprisingly Lacksamus also has an affinity for cheese and is always happy to talk about his latest find with anyone who is willing to listen

267 words

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

I grew up around the game. I was constantly at the rink with my father, Nat Emerson. I was in skates almost as soon as I could walk and after that there was no looking back. When I was really young, we were living in West Kendall. The league I played in here was little more than a glorified free skate but I wore that West Kendall Mini-Platoon jersey with pride.

As I got older I actually started to play in some real leagues. Florida doesn't have the greatest hockey scene so I moved up to Boston and stayed with my grandparents while I skated with one of the great youth developmental leagues up there, the New England College Developmental League. I flipped flopped between forward and defense quite a bit at the time, unsure of what my game was going to be. I got to share a team with family friend and current member of the Maine Timber, Miles O'Brien, for a season before he aged out and moved on to his next step.

By the time I hit high school and aged out of the NECDL my game was pretty strong. I could have stayed in New England and played for any of the prestigious schools in the area but I felt that what I needed to work on most was finding my identity and building my leadership skills. With that in mind I jumped on a plane and headed to where I was born, Korea, to stay with my mother's side of the family. I attended Songdo High School and became the top point scorer for the SHS Admirals in my freshman year after finally settling on playing defense. I felt rejuvenated being back home and wanted to create a more robust hockey program in Korea.

With the help of my father, we started the Korean Development League. I took control of developing the prospects of the city of Incheon for the Lightning Wolves. I learned a lot about myself and what makes a good leader, friend, and teammate. With the KDL self sustaining my gaze turned toward the SHL and following in my father's footsteps.

(364 words)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Ahh the Shire, and its everlasting beauty. When I was a wee lad I was humbly brought up from the community, often playing in the woods and stealing Mr. Howe's gooseberries to snack on right before harvest. Hockey was scarcely known around my parts. 
Tales of brutish figures from the mountains North of the 49th would often be told. Their penchant for fighting, small swords on their feet, hulking armor, and carbon reinforced staves where often mentioned upon children's fairy tales. Nightmare-ish stuff - yeck.

Well upon my 16th passing of the Fall, a devilish man (and a good friend), dressed in Grey robes decided to put on a show for the folks from Hobbiton - oh what splendor!
With a wave of his staff, snow started to blanket the ground, and the local pond froze over with ice. Upon hearing our tales of the mountain folk of the North a sly grin could be seen along with a twinkle in his eye. 

Well the children (and myself upon initial reluctance) started clambering over the gear - skates, helmets, padding, and sticks! Soon a hockey game started aboot. 
What a great winter that was! My adventures running away from Mr. Howe made me quite fleet of foot, and a  I started dancing around the others at the local pond. But alas the winter came to pass, and my dear friend in Grey robes departed once again - promising to be back soon. 

Well I was not to be distracted by the warming of spring, the fruits of summer, or the spiced tea of the fall (well perhaps some spiced tea may have been in order)! A new passion has grown inside me. Hockey tore into my every thought!
Upon of year of training, I felt ready to skate outside of the Shire!

The next visit with Gandalf I pleaded him to take me to the North to explore the World and play more Hockey! Much to the dismay of my family - who wanted none of the drama associated with "adventuring". 

Late at night I snuck away from home and made my way to Gandalf's wagon, as he was preparing to leave. I was greeted by Gandalf, and another figure - Mr. Howe!

As I was prepared to take another verbal beating for breaking into his gooseberry field - I was met with a warm smile. 

"Bilbo," he said "I heard you are going on an adventure to pursue the sport of hockey."

I nodded coyly not knowing what his intentions were. 

"I have came to give this to you." as Mr. Howe proceeded to stuff an envelope into my hand.
Inside laid a golden ring with a chain looped through, inscribed with words that I could not read. So alluring, so.... precious. 

As I spent time admiring this thoughtful gift, I could not help but wonder "why?"

Mr. Howe explained that he too spent some time over the mountains, playing hockey in his day and that this ring brought him great luck.

As I was about to try it on, I was abruptly stopped my the soft grip of his hand. 
"Bilbo, you must promise me to not wear the ring on your finger, only around your neck. With the great luck imposed upon this ring, a great tragedy will come to pass should it be worn on your finger."
Mr. Howe continued, "I must admit, giving you this gift is in part a selfish request on my part, the ring has not fit my finger for years, and the weight of it has become heavier around my neck since I've hung up the skates. I must ask you that should you ever win the Cup (you'll know what one) place the ring inside. The ring should be safe to wear then."

The neighing of horses soon rang through the night air, and Gandalf motioned me to come to the front seat. 

With a quick hug, and a wave goodbye I imparted on my first adventure! To play hockey in the North! 
With a ring hanging preciously around my neck.

And so the Hockey Career of Bilbo Baggins has begun! 
LHD, OFD, #22, 4' 13", 151lbs