Create Account

Kubinec Says Farewell to Texas, and the SHL

(1221 words, ready for grading)

Retirement has been looming, and I've been thinking about what I would say for a while now but never really figured out the right words.  So I'm just going to wing it, which is pretty much what I've done since I joined the league.  It might get a little sappy but that's just too bad, it's my retirement.

As I prepare for the last regular season games of my career, and head into my last playoff run, I can't help but look back on the past sixteen seasons and think of all the good times.  I have accomplished a lot, much more than I ever envisioned, but to say I am the only one responsible for my success would be inaccurate.  There are many players and coaches that I have had the pleasure and privilege of playing with and for, and they deserve some recognition.

I'll go back to the start and I know I'm not going to remember everyone because it's been so long now.  So forgive me.  But to all the people who were on Halifax from Season 46 through Season 49, I at least got to spend some time playing with you.  I know I didn't deliver in my first two seasons due to some personal issues but we really went on a run those last two seasons.  I thought we might go all the way in Season 48, made a deep run, but it wasn't to be.  First I want to tank @Jearim who signed me to Halifax.  I had offers to other teams but being a Raider just seemed right at the time.  You're a good guy and one of the only people who knew about the personal hell I was living it at the time.  You always had a positive word to say and I appreciated that.

I have been lucky enough to play alongside future legends for most of my career, usually playing the sidekick but every now and then I got mine on them.  The first of these was Esa Parmborg, @Steelhead77.  On the Raiders you were the guy I tried to measure up to.  Everyone knew you were destined for greatness but I figured if I emulated you some of that might go my way.  We had a blast in Halifax and it's too bad we couldn't bring the Four Star home.  We were on some solid teams toward the end.

Other greats that I played alongside in Halifax include Jimmy Slothface @slothfacekilla, Jon Forty-One @C9Van, Karl Krashwagen @CementHands, FR Finn-Rhys @FinnRhys, Adam Barron @charlieconway, and Matt Kholin @Kalakar.  Some of us barely crossed paths but getting to play alongside such greats helped me up my game.

But then there's Texas.  I honestly wasn't even expecting to get drafted but I've shared that story already.  But shoutout again to @Jearim and then @dankoa for picking me up late.  It was a low risk pick but I like to think it paid off.  I'm glad Kekkonen and Goodman got to celebrate a Challenge Cup win with us before leaving for Montreal.  You guys helped build this team before stepping aside.

As I said earlier, I got to play alongside some all-time greats in Halifax.  But to play alongside Andreas Kvalheim @raymond3000 for twelve seasons was probably the biggest reason that I stuck with it.  When I got to Texas, we were not very good, for lack of a better term.  But I saw Andreas go out there every night and do his thing and win or lose, mostly lose, he played his ass off.  So I figured I better play my ass off too.  As the seasons went on I saw them build a team around this guy and he's a huge reason we are where we are now.  More often than not he out-shone me, but every now and then, I got mine.  We have come a long way from the basement and it's been great to play alongside you the entire time.

Slowly but surely more great players came in and we got a little better each season.  Noah Brusky @BrewskyBoy has been there almost as long as me and has been a key part of our defense forever now.  Best of luck with the rest of your career.  Alexander Watcher @MP7, you're an assassin.  When I was on a line with you and Theo, we were unstoppable.  You're a future legend if you're not there already and you helped me stay motivated on occasion.

We didn't make too many big signings over the seasons, opting instead to build through the draft.  But one signing we did make was key to our success.  Cillian Kavanagh @takethehorizon was probably the most important signing we have made.  You have a long career ahead of you yet but thanks for bailing us out on so many occasions.

In Season 53 we added some serious firepower with Edward Williams @Aephino, who scored the game-winner that brought us the Cup, Eric Hudson @EricNCSU, and Burlok Sulfurgold @leviadan.  These three have all shone at different moments and will continue to do so.  It's been great playing with the three of you.

In Season 54 we went with defense and got two brutes in Mikkel Asmus Sondergard @Rabidsponge21 and Joseph Fantobens @Fantobens.  Fanto, get those penalty minutes up.  You're slacking.

Then we got Theo Kondos @Ohtaay.  It's been great playing with you and watching you improve over the seasons.  Playing with you and Watcher gave me motivation to stay active at times, it was tough keeping up with you.  You are the future of this franchise, I hope you stick around.  If I got to choose who gets my 'A' after this season, it would be you.  You've really stepped into a leadership role and have helped the young guys with anything they've needed.

Lemo Pihl, @Ronniewalker, it's been great interacting with you and you're a great presence in the locker room.  Best of luck in the future.

And for the rookies, Basil Sivart @Sivart and High Haschdi @Highhaschdi, and the prospects, Bjorn Bjorn @negs77 and Uhtred Ragnarsson @FiveForFighting, stick with it.  Basil and High, you've had excellent rookie campaigns.  You're part of a great organization and I hope you keep it that way by improving what we build off of.

Oh, quick shoutout to Finland!  @Carpy48 and @WannabeFinn I know I'm not much of a presence in the locker room but let's go win something.

Last, but certainly not least, @RedCapeDiver and @puolivalmiste, it has been a pleasure to play with and for you.  You inherited an excellent team but you've built on that and it's only gotten better.  Thanks for everything and for letting me retire as a Renegade.  Hopefully we cross paths in a new timeline whenever I recreate.  But until then, we still have some games to play, and one last playoff run together.  So let's go win the fuckin' thing.

As for me, I think I'm going to take a bit of a hiatus after this season and see where I'm at in the winter.  I'll probably pop in from time to time.  This league is a great place to be because of each and every one of you.  Whether you're just a player, or an updater, a podcaster, or a GM, you're all good people and make this thing work.  Be well!

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

Sad Renegades

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=65fe67b4&is=65ebf2b4&hm=a6...46085eb3f&]

It has been great to have you in the team. Congrats on great career, hopefully our paths cross when you get back

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

A Texas legend retires. With my first couple seasons in the SHL Kubinec was the one constant winger I had, and I think we played pretty well together!

It’s been great getting to know over the last couple seasons man, you’ve been a great teammate and member!

Let’s win that cup one last time!

Renegades

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

I have some great memories of our time in Halifax, we had some good runs together, it was a pleasure to be your teammate and you ended up having one hell of a career!

Much respect and good luck in the final games of a great career!

Cheers

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

Renegades Renegades Renegades

[Image: UCTqPUg.png]

\_\_\_

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

What a career… amazing work. Renegades

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Aww thanks for the Halifax shout out.

You were the best minor league locker room I was a part of at that time <3

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Blizzard Now Isaac Forty-One Switzerland

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

Congrats on the career, the Halifax days were fun

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

One of my favorite HFX teammates! Gonna miss you man! We will have to get an alumni game together to get you back out on the ice and schooling some youngsters. Congrats on an amazing career!

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

Great to have played with you in TEX! Congratulations on a great career \_\_\_

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

Underrated career

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Crybaby

[Image: Fantobens.gif]