Create Account

S61 Fantasy Stats - SMJHL Edition
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2021, 02:52 PM by thiefofcheese.)

HO has been gracious enough to provide a 20% boost in all media for the week and I know that cash can be a bit tight from time to time.  So I figured I would bring back the SMJHL Fantasy.  Unfortunately ss S61's regular season has already come to a close we will not be able to get regular updates, but I'm sure a few of the young guns will be happy to see where they rank amongst their peers.

I'm following the SHL fantasy scoring mechanism for all of the below scores, making observations, and will provide some conjecture about this data that is very likely not all that defensible.  If you have any complaints, please direct them privately to my Public Relations rep @wumaduce.   If you have any compliments, please feel free to post them here for all to see.  I also used images for the metrics instead of text for ease of read (be nice graders!).

We'll start this recap with the skater numbers throughout the S61 SMJHL regular season.   We had 249 skaters (not including goalies) spend some time on the ice this season and I'll recap the top 20 fantasy scorers here following the SHL fantasy scoring.   While that does leave 229 skaters out, I also split the data in some non-standard ways to try to bring some different views into this process.

Without further ado, let's get into the numbers:

S61 Fantasy Top 20 Skaters

[Image: b99djsz.png]

Congratulations to Quebec's Greyson Cooper (@goilers) for landing at the top of this list.  He's 42.3 points of the next closest competitor and this is the biggest gap between skaters in the top 20. 

I did a bit of digging on the top 20 players and wanted to call out Ahlo Kysoka (@Lazyeye) for being the only player on this list not to have hit the SMJHL TPE cap as of last week when I pulled TPE values (I know that some may have hit cap during the season, but I didn't have that data).   It's pretty unsurprising that the list is composed of primarily TPE capped players, but I think Kysoka should feel good to have performed so well this season against some of the more senior players.

From here I split the data a few different ways to give additional looks across the juniors league.   I'm not sure what to tell you about all of these, but thought there may be some interesting information here for you data heads out there.

S61 Total Fantasy Score By Team

[Image: nWKsOF2.png]

Here we see that Carolina comes out on top by just edging out the Whalers with 4,695 total points across all of their players.   It's also worth pointing out Nevada and Regina both came in significantly higher in these standings than the final regular season standings. 

The Worst of the Worst

Not everyone can be a superstar so I thought we could take a look at the bottom of the barrel as well.   No slight intended for those on this list (as you'll see I'm well represented here too).

S61 Lowest Earners

[Image: ScWXzdf.png]

I only pulled the bottom 5 to limit the blowblack, but at the bottom of the list we have Mr. Samuel Savage (@Alyxander) who is an inactive player that managed 1 game for Newfoundland and came away with 3.8 total points for the S61 season.

S61 Lowest Earners Per Game

[Image: CqkxC6W.png]

Coming in first here (or is it last?) is none other than yours truly.   Ivan Maximus was picked up as a DFA by Detroit and didn't do much to help the team.  I'd like to find a way to put a spin on this so it doesn't look like I just suck, but in reality, I just suck.

Now moving onto the workhorses that put all their time a few feet from the net, our goalies.  In the spirit of matching the SHL fantasy format we'll first look at the goalie score aggregated by team:

S61 Goalie Teams

[Image: lzcuW2i.png]

It is probably no surprise that Vancouver is at the top of this list with their astronomical +148 goal differential.   The other team that sticks out here is that Anchorage came in last for fantasy goalie scores, but was far from last in the goal differential with a +42.   I was surprised by this standing so dug in a bit more:

S61 Shots Against by Team

[Image: E3oxeuh.png]

And I believe this answers the question.   Anchorage saw the least total Shots Against of any team in the league and saw 2.4x less shots than the league high by Anaheim.   This goes to show that even a great goalie performance can be skewed when the defensive core stops the opposing team from taking those ever important shots on goal.

Since there are relatively few goalies in the juniors I thought I'd throw them a bone and show the full goalie fanstasy breakdown by player to see who comes out on top:

S61 Goalie Details

[Image: An8y2Nm.png]

Quebec's Nor Dekes (@Guriinwoodo) led the league in goalie fantasy points and narrowly edged out Vancouver's Olof Karsikko (@Accka) to gain the title of Best SMJHL Fantasy Goalie for S61.

858 words, lots of spreadsheets and pictures, + 20% bonus

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

4th place in goalie fantasy points as a rookie behind capped goalies? I'll take it.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

CHEESE WTF WHEN DID YOU COME BACK AND WHY DIDNT YOU SAY HI.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

10-04-2021, 04:54 PMSDCore Wrote: CHEESE WTF WHEN DID YOU COME BACK AND WHY DIDNT YOU SAY HI.

Ummm I'm going to go with "I just got here! Hi Corey!"

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King