Create Account

S61 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 10:20 PM by dogwoodmaple.)

PBE Affiliate PT (+3 TPE)

1. CW Trivia (+3 TPE)dogwood, Victor Helstrom

4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.) (+3 TPE)

First things first - when it comes to casting my role, it has to be Bill Murray and I need Wes Anderson directing. It will be told in reverse chronological order, with Bill Murray playing an elderly Dogwood Maple, telling the tale of my long hockey career.  It will start with my junior career in the Peach State and follow me to the University of Georgia and then to the Maine Timber.  One of the overriding themes will be how close I got to winning a championship without taking home the title, both at UGA and in Maine.  The story will come to a final culmination with our magical run in Hamilton this year with what some have called the greatest SHL team to ever step on the ice.  After a few more years in Hamilton, I'll transition to coaching where I focus on bringing up some ragtag groups of hockey players and turning them into a championship team, a la the Bad News Bears.  Bill Murray's dry delivery and general dead-pan attitude will fit perfectly as my exasperation only grows in my coaching career.  Finally, I get our bunch of scrubs to the finals before we hoist the cup and I can retire in peace, having accomplished all my goals.

(210 words)

6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag (+4 TPE)
a. Hamilton had the much harder path to the finals.  First off, Hamilton had the expectations from the media, opposing fans, and the entire league.  To be able to shoulder those expectations while being lauded as perhaps the greatest team in history and not just survive and advance, but to be dominant in every series is nothing short of incredible.  Not to mention that the Baltimore Platoon are as fierce of an opponent as anyone else has seen this postseason.  From to beginning to end, the Steelhawks met every challenge head on and knocked it out of the park. (98 words)

b. It's infinitely more difficult to stay on top than to simply get on top.  First off, many teams have to make a bunch of personnel sacrifices just to sniff the rarefied air of a championship, making a return journey that much more difficult.  But the added external pressure of the media and fans ratchet up the pressure every single season.  Having one elite team is impressive.  Having a decade's worth of elite dominance is downright historic. (76 words)

c. A steelhawk is but a humble seabird that has taken on the mantle of toughness, resilience, and dedication necessary to not just work in the steel mills of Southern Canada, but to find itself worthy enough to give its name to the Hamilton franchise.  Is it hokey? Perhaps.  But that's the attitude our fanbase has and that's what we exhibit on a daily basis.  We're a blue collar team that plays in front of hard working, dedicated fans.  There's not a better match in the league. (86 words)

d. Give me Aaron Wilson or give me death.  AWil has been a mainstay in the Hamilton lineup for going on a decade and he's showing no signs of slowing down.  With 104 points this season, he's the clear front runner for MVP and we could not have come close to winning the title without him leading our offensive attack. Averaging 78 points per season over the last nine years is historic and has Wilson on the fast lane to the Hall of Fame.  A true league-wide legend. (87 words)

12. Milestones (+3 TPE)

S61 Milestones

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 09:59 PM by supertardis101.)

PBE PT - https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/...t&p=375042

Milestones - https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3116660

+6 TPE

[Image: image0.gif]
[Image: psdforbrookssiganimatedwhitetext.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 10:50 PM by Skeleton Party.)

1. Trivia
Brady

2. What If

If we had never changed from STHS to FHM Hamilton would have just kept winning all the time. Oh wait that happened anyway. Well in that case it at least opened things up so that various builds are good so that different players can feel valuable in different ways and teams can win championships if they don't just stick to one archetype of team. Oh wait that didn't happen either. Well, at least it did something for retention. The livestreams of the sims and the on-screen graphics are really good at making people feel involved when they watch the streams, and I know a lot of people from S53 and beyond have stuck around because it is a lot of fun to watch the live streams. Without switching to FHM I don't know that you get the same level of involvement, and I think you most likely lose quite a few players.

4. Biopic

[Name Redacted], played by Ryan Gosling, would start the movie covered in blood. He has just escaped from a Wuhan lab and is ready to exact his vengeance on an unknowing hockey world. The next key scene would be the audience sobbing as [Name Redacted] is drafted in the first round and starts off his career in Vancouver. The next few key scenes would be rags to riches as Mills (played by Jason Acuña) tries to get a ragtag group of Whalers to come together and eventually win the Four Star Cup Championship. Interspersed throughout would be scenes of international play where [Name Redacted] sings Baba Yetu with Team World and wins gold with Team UCORCAL. Next would be JY (played by Lance Bass) drafting [Name Redacted] into the SHL on the Manhattan Rage. Finally, the movie would focus on the rebuilding effort of the Manhattan Rage and the leadership roles [Name Redacted] has taken on.

12. Milestones
Milestones 3 TPE

18. Baby Come Back

If I could bring anyone back to the league I would bring my brother Sawful back in to the fold. He was a top earner, he was hilarious, and he really enjoyed shitposting and having fun. Even though he hastened the need for me to redact my name, he was fun to play with and I miss him a lot. I'd probably be a lot more involved if he was still around, maybe even trying to get into coaching or GMing if I could do it with him. I know he got busy with other stuff in his life and he's not going to make it back but it would be a lot of fun if he would.

21. Feedback

I think you have done a really good job of putting interesting topics out there. Far too often I felt really bored by the prompts and had to inject my own wackiness into it, but since you took over I've had a much better time riffing off of your PTs. Unfortunately due to external factors I didn't get to do all of them this season, but it had nothing to do with the quality of PTs and I'm sure I would have enjoyed doing them.

I also appreciate that you seek feedback frequently and seem to take it constructively. It's really helpful to know that you are listening if there are any issues.

[Image: x7WZYBT.gif]
[Image: hTAHbeC.png][Image: OaCJVMI.png] | [Image: pMYriGC.png]

Milestones 3 TPE
Trivia done Victor Helstrom
PBE Cross claim +3 TPE

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks

12. Milestones: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3120188

1. Trivia:
Victor Helstrom
CW

3. I think that a class that had both immediate and sustained success and impact on the site as a whole was S43, which I was a part of with my first player. The sheer volume of S43 first gen users that very quickly established themselves as top tier users and worked their way into management and site jobs was incredible. At one point I think almost the entire SMJHL GM server was S43 players. In addition to that, there were also some top shelf recreates as part of the class like JY, Kez, and the energizer bunny Tommy who just keeps going. S43 picks were key pieces of championships in the J and the SHL both as players and managers, and it's awesome to still see a couple of them going after all this time. It was definitely a huge honour to be the first member of this class to go into the HOF, and unquestionably there will be several more to come.

14. Real homer pick here, I know, but Seattle is positioned very well for being a future powerhouse that can step into the void left by aging teams in Buffalo, Chicago, and Hamilton. One major aspect of building the roster is focusing on a core that will peak around the same time, meaning that we'll have a several season stretch where we'll be a major contending threat. This core group is the product of everything we've been building towards since our inception, so it's certainly very exciting to be approaching our window after all this time. What makes it even more exciting is that we just had a massive influx of prospects in S61, and have two more good picks in this coming draft, which will go a long way to securing a future pipeline that will allow us to sustain the coming success beyond just the best years of our current players. It should be fun times ahead

20: My player from the PBE, Tig O'Sullivan, is a relief pitcher in his rookie season for the New York Voyagers. He has a frame that would actually project very well to hockey at 6'4 and 240 pounds, with athletic bloodlines as his father was also a longtime pitcher in the PBE. In addition to likely being a physical specimen that would likely have the size and strength to be a commanding presence, his entire game is based around his absolute scorcher of a fastball. I think it is for this reason, along with the fact that he is a reliever that does not start games or play more than a few innings at a time, that he would likely translate as a bottom pairing defender with an absolute cannon of a shot that ends up getting a pile of powerplay time in an attempt to utilize his slapper. Think someone like Jason Garrison in his years with Florida and Vancouver.

6: d) The best player in Steelhawks history is unquestionably Mr. Steelhawk himself, Robert Phelps. Perhaps the best player to never be considered an MVP caliber player in any given year, Phelps finished his career top 3 all-time in points, just shy of 1000 total, along with 3 cups. He was the captain of the team for most of that time, and while Aaron Wilson might end up edging him in total points, I think it's fair to say that no one will ever embody the Steelhawks more. For Texas I'd probably say Kvalheim but I'm not as up on their team history.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 10:51 PM by WannabeFinn.)

1. poopie - Victor Helstrom

12. Milestones claim

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

1.CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE Verification word: Word – Victor Helstrom

3. Written, 3 TPE, Draft Kings (164 words)

The S50 draft class is one of the most impactful in recent memory and I think members of that class have contributed to this league in a positive way. According to player analyze the draft class still has 23 members active. In comparison to classes around it, S50 has almost double players active. S49 has only 9, S51 has 14, S52 has 14.of the 23 still active, I think around 10 or more have hit 2K tpe and many others in the high 1700s+. As far as tpe goes, S50 is going strong and have some of the prominent players included. Also, I am apart of this draft class so I might be biased but honestly, I think our draft class is super deep and has created a ton of really good players for this league. Once it is all said or done, I think this class will have at least 3+ HOF members as Bobby Lane, Adam Barron are surely in the conversation.

4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (176 words)

This movie starts with FN LN as a 17-year-old boy who dreams of playing professional hockey. Do you need another reason to watch this movie? When young Last-Name is given a shot to try out for a team in Canada, his speedy skating earns him a spot, despite his lack of physical toughness -- a quality the team prides itself in. Although Last-Name was considered small for a professional player, he made up for his lack of size with exceptional speed, intelligence, creativity, and stick skills. Hockey cinema has given us the Hanson brothers and the Flying V, Herb Brooks's sadistic whistle and Doug Glatt's No. 69 jersey. Which is to say, there's a wide range of sensibilities on the list of the best hockey movies of all-time, and something for both the casual fan and the biggest student of the game. Whether you're looking for a feel-good story, a history lesson, or just want to see some guy's teeth get knocked in, there's a quality hockey film for you when you watch FN LN’s biopoic.

6. Written, 2 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

b. [57 words ] I think it is way harder to rebuild and make it to the finals because good teams in the SHL always have bad teams helping them out in different ways. Seems like good teams can stay good while not really suffering consequences (i.e forgetting to submit your contracts) So salute for successfully rebuilding and making the finals.

c. [54 words] Yeah the real question is “Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?” This question is a really big one…. Who the hell is victor and why is he making it mad confusing to submit trivia. So do we add that name to our verification word or do we not? Can someone tell me.

12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3118603

15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (195 words.)
SWEDEN. With the playoffs finishing up soon, we are excited to have the team back together for another IIHF run. The last couple of seasons have not gone the way we wanted, and we look to change that this year. Last season, the Tre Kronor fielded a roster full of promising up-and-coming talent, led by veteran Swedish mainstays. With the competition continuing to become fiercer each season, last season’s roster did not achieve what they set out to do, which was to finish on that podium. With another season under our belt, the youth movement in full swing, alongside the steady veteran presence, the Tre Kronor hope for better results this season. The infusion of young talent has provided a spark for the King Carl faithful, and we hope to shock a lot of people during this tournament. Last season's results were unacceptable for King Carl and the Swedish National Team; we are hungry to right the wrongs of last season and once again aim for a medal finish. It is Sweden’s time to show that they are a force to be reckoned with & we hope this tournament is the start of something special

Total: 16 TPE

[Image: gurbs.gif]

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Meatloaf

12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

S61 Milestones

[Image: Spicy_Funko.jpg]
Player Page             Update Thread

1. CW TRIVIA
Velveteers Victor Helstrom
+3 TPE (hopefully)

4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.)
The film will focus on the timeline of my drafting into the Js and my short time in Maine all the way to going 3OA to LA. It will mainly be a drama focusing on the highs of getting drafted to Maine and thinking that I am gods gift to the hockey world, to getting reality checked and realizing that he is just a scrub pylon that has no business in the league. The struggle of coming to grips with the realization of having to work and spend extra time at practice to get better. Making the next league is the goal, and he is incredibly far from that. Think of the movie Rudy. Its not a football movie, but it is. Its his drive to make the team and his passion for the game. The movie then shifts into him setting records for Maine and finishes off with him going 3OA to LA. 
+3 TPE WC.154

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3118452

+1 TPE

13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)
I dont know if its something that can be fixed, obviously the GMs of Hamilton, Buffalo, Chicago, and Texas know something that the other gms dont know. How do teams navigate FHM when on paper we tend to have competitive teams but the FHM gods tend to favor the top 4. Maybe its just frustration and FHM will FHM or its something else. By no means am I actually saying anything shady is going on, it is just frustrating is all. I dont know, i am still new to this league and I have only really seen the top be those 4. So it kind of feels like the rest of us are pissing into the wind. Maybe Baltimore will push through the ceiling next season and win, maybe hamilton and buffalo will fall back to earth with regression. Who knows. Hopefully we see a change over the course of the next 5 seasons. Hopefully im complaining about Philly soon.
+3 TPE WC.160

14. Written, 3 TPE, Upswing (150 words min.)
Baltimore is on the track to be a top contender it seems, they have been making good moves, they have been growing in TPE and they are starting to look scary good. Hopefully we see them crush next season and they upset the top 4. Also, LAP is growing nicely and i feel like we have been making good moves. I dont see us winning the whole thing next year, but I definitely see us going farther than 1st round next season. Im hoping that within 3 seasons we are at the top and giving everyone a run for their money. All I know is that if in the next 5 seasons we are still seeing Hamilton, Buffalo, Texas, and Chicago in the tops, i will start crying foul. I would hope that this league doesnt go the way of the pro sports leagues where we only see the same teams over and over and over. Its annoying and frustrating. 
+3TPE WC:160

21. Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min
Honestly I dont know why you were getting so much hate for your PTs last season. I actually  did have a good time with them for the most part and thought you did a good job of changing things up. Maybe its because I write better when the prompt is kinda out there and weird. But I enjoyed it. Not all of them were super fun and were kind of annoying, but for the most part I have enjoyed the prompts. Obviously they cant all be winners, but you know what, im here for it and i think you deserve that 8 mil a season for it.
+2 TPE WC: 107

Total
+15 TPE

[Image: d2EaZfr.png]
Former Player

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Zomp

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE, What if...? (150 words min.)
Pick a moment in SHL history to change. It could be something large, an expansion draft, sim engine change, or something smaller, like a trade or team punishment. Change something about this moment in the SHL and explain the impact the difference would make in how the league developed since that moment. (think Butterfly Effect)
I feel as if the Simulation Hockey League never made the change from STHS over to Franchise Hockey Manager 6 it would've completely changed everything about the league. There was over fifty total seasons played in the league using STHS and it gave the GM's of various teams time to get adjusted and learn the ins and outs. However, when they made the swap over to FHM they had to relearn everything from the beginning. I can't imagine the Hamilton Steel Hawks and Buffalo Stampede would've been as successful if not for this change. I personally believe that this change was made to try and stop the New England Wolf Pack from being a successful team every season. I don't think it'll take too much more time until they're dominating the league once more like they used to be. All things considered, I do believe that this change was incredibly beneficial for the league and was welcomed by all that play.

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Draft Kings (150 words min.)
Pick a draft class in the SHL that you believe had the most impact on the SHL. It can be a consensus pick, like S36, 31, or 53, or an off-the-board one (S41?). Explain your reasoning to why this draft class impacted the league; Could be in a good way, or a bad way.
I don't think there's any question at all that the Season 53 draft class was one of the most important in the entire history of the league. A large majority of the players who were drafted ended up making their way into management positions across both the Simulation Hockey League as well as the Juniors.
This draft class brought out some of the most dedicated players that we've ever seen. They're all earning incredibly high and most likely will be the draft class that has the highest number of earners who end up reaching two thousand TPE. I feel as though this surprised some people. The majority of the draft were new creates that ended up sticking around for what's been almost two years now. It would be interesting to see down the line how future drafts end up comparing to this one. But I don't think it'll ever be close. This was without a doubt one of the luckiest drafts the league had coming from Reddit.

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion?
b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness?
c. What is a renegade? What is a steelhawk? Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?
d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.
4TPE
A - I believe that Texas ended up having the harder path to the finals. Even though they had two series sweeps, those are incredibly hard to pull off. It must've taken the GM's quite a bit of time in running test sims and working out lines properly to be able to pull that off. It could've been much more difficult for them if not for that, but still does not mean that it was an easy run for them at all.
B - I'd have to say that the Hamilton Steel Hawks still being one of the top teams in the league is without a doubt more impressive. It's not all that difficult to be able to rebuild to be a contending team after all that time. But, to be able to stay dominate without falling at all is incredibly hard to do. This speaks volumes to their drafting capabilities.
C - A Renegade is a player who plays down in Texas, while a Steelhawk is a player who plays in Hamilton. It's quite straight forward. Although, I don't think any knows who Victor Helstrom is at all. Nor do most people have the interest in trying to search to figure this out either.
D - This is the easiest question in all of Championship Week. Dick Clapper is without a doubt the best player to have played for the Hamilton Steel Hawks. The man was an absolute monster every season he was there, he'll definitely go down in the history books as #1. If someone stated any other name, they'd be lying to you.
Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
3TPE - https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3120268

16 Total TPE

Code:

Confirmation: PETROV

Code:
Pick a moment in SHL history to change. It could be something large, an expansion draft, sim engine change, or something smaller, like a trade or team punishment. Change something about this moment in the SHL and explain the impact the difference would make in how the league developed since that moment. (think Butterfly Effect)

This may not be a very popular opinion, but if we could undo one league-wide change, why not go back to the ever popular Simon T. Hockey Simulator? Sure, Hamilton found a major exploit & rather than notify league personnel to ensure fair play, they decided to adjust their builds to take full advantage until someone else caught onto what they were doing & reported them. I wasn't active in this league at the beginning of the FHM era, but since I've been back, it seems the league has really fallen into rut where it's the same handful of teams going deep into the playoffs season after season. If we had just ridden it out with the old sim, flawed as it was, would we have seen the same level of disparity as we have over the last year or so? If we just imposed some sort of limit to the gap between passing & scoring rather than abandoning ship altogether, would the league still be as cyclical as it once was? I'd like to think so, but I guess there's really way to know now.

(186 words)

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE, Baby come back 100 words min
If you had the power to bring back one user to the SHL, who would it be? We're talking full activity, balls to the wall. They could be a banned user, user gone inactive, or someone who's around but doesn't really fuck with SHL anymore. Pick your user and why you want them back that badly? Did you love them, or do you just want to watch the league burn?

This is an easy one. If I could bring one user back, it'd be mp©l@rdy (since he asked to have his name scrubbed before he left, I'll throw in some symbols). My former partner in crime with the Seattle Riot in the mid-S30s, I firmly believe he cared more about this league than just about anyone, really too much for his own good that it was starting to affect his mental health & his attitude offline, which is why he ultimately walked away. He took so much crap from various people around the league, but he was so passionate about the league, his team & the people on it. In our brief time GMing together, he was always scheming, always looking for that extra move & that extra piece that could take the Riot to the next level. With it being my first GM job & having just inherited an ISFL team as well, I just couldn't keep up with him & I still feel bad that I wasn't able to devote as much time as I would've liked because of it.

(182 words)

[Image: mtDOugA.png]

[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

Bojo Box (C. Knouse)

Code:

CW TRIVIA LINK

Pog

Code:

Imagine with me, a world where the sim engine doesn't change. I join, as well as everyone in S54 to the old sim (STHS? the name alludes me at the moment). Now a majority of the population that joins will probably stick around, since they tend to like the community that has been created around the SHL. Those like me, will flutter away because they want to be able to watch their player play! Not just some text page. This causes massive shifts in future GM's for teams. Ace doesn't get fired from NEW, MCP doesn't get fired from TBB. There isn't a need for an expansion in the SMJHL and SHL due to the less players sticking around from this sim engine that just isn't quite it. However, even with all these things being the case (good or bad), the people that stick around throughout this boring sim engine; well, they become quite a tight nit community. The smaller group allows for all of them to talk amongst themselves more often than with this much larger group we have now. 

Code:
Pick a draft class in the SHL that you believe had the most impact on the SHL. It can be a consensus pick, like S36, 31, or 53, or an off-the-board one (S41?). Explain your reasoning to why this draft class impacted the league; Could be in a good way, or a bad way.
S50-55. Look at the top earners from these classes. Most of them are in some sort of position of importance in the SHL. They might be GM's or great strategists, maybe they are apart of the graders of varying kinds, even updaters or HO! While I did include a vast majority of the league by giving these 6 draft classes, I think it is important to highlight the fact that lots of us have gone through the revolving door and stuck around for quite some time. On top of that, we have some real damn characters within the class that don't have any positions at all (looking at you fitted). We have seen new heights in the possible TPE earned. We have also seen some crazy strategies pulled out and new ways to build a player. But most importantly, I think the people that have done the most for the league within the last little while comes from this set of players!
PRESENT

Code:
11a. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.

Well if it has to be anyone, it is Theo Morgan. This guy was an absolute monster, not just within the series but the entirety of the playoffs. They absolutely stomped on the throats of the Texas Renegades. Theo had nothing on their mind but pure destruction and dominance. Don't get me wrong, you could argue that Jobin deserves it more for keeping that net sealed up with two layers of bricks, but without the offensive powerhouse of Theo Morgan, it wouldn't have been a good showing for Hammy and the Steelhawks. Good job by both teams, hopefully next season we see two brand new faces though.

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=119534

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=119534&pid=3120269#pid3120269

FUTURE

Code:
There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

The lack of parity fucking sucks. I'll keep it a buck with you, it makes it incredibly boring to watch the playoffs and one by one the teams go down and we see the same god damn people going at it for a fake championship. It isn't fun for everyone else. But that is it isn't it, this is a game of winners and losers. No point in trying to rig the game in the favor of the losers honestly. Why would anyone work hard at getting high tpe performers and strategizing around them if that was the case? All we really should do is hope that people are willing to grind a bit harder for more TPE and take shit contracts to they can stay with the team that may have drafted them, or go to a team that needs their help in order to make a run for that cup. 

Code:
14. Written, 3 TPE, Upswing (150 words min.)
What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?

I'll keep it brief for the next team into the playoffs. Winnipeg. Now the next team that is going to find their way in the finals and win? Tampa Bay Barracuda BABY. The Cuda are chomping at the bit to kick asses and take names. Finally starting to peak at some crazy TPE levels there is no reason why this group of fishies can't come blasting down the doors of the finals and beating the pulp out of whoever their opponents are. The masterful GM's of Trella and DK are spending a lot of time in the strategy room with some up and comers analyzing and figuring out every weakness of the opposing teams. Soon it wont be a core of 4 teams making the finals, but one single team. The Barracuda will be a team to fear for quite some time. I know you see this from all of us TBB players every season, but I really think it'll happen this time.

[Image: panico.png]

Quote:0. (+3 TPE) One (1) affiliate claim from either PBE or the ISFL will be accepted for 3 TPE!

PBE Affiliate

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA (+3 TPE) max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

champs

Quote:12. Milestones (+1 TPE) Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

Milestone Link

Quote:13. (+3 TPE) Parody (150 words min.)
There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

I can't say this is unexpected at all with the extended nature of player careers, no compensatory draft selections to punish those that build through FA, and a high enough cap (or cap bail out trades) to keep super teams alive. I won't lie, I don't follow this league close enough to know for sure, but these principles tend to lead to stagnant leagues in general and so it is a pretty simple conclusion to reach. That said, perhaps these things are being addressed and we're still seeing this lack of a shuffle in the finals. I'm not really sure whether that is a good thing or a bad thing as it has happened in the real world a few times before as well in multiple sports. Sometimes there are just extremely good teams that last a long time. Theoretically those teams get broken up by players wanting higher salaries since they have earned them through their play, but unfortunately that is not the case with a fake league where contract money really only goes to your own player development.

Quote:14. (+3 TPE) Upswing (150 words min.)
What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?

The next big contender is going to be the New Orleans Specters. Through some of the best drafting the league has seen, and a few key trades, the Specters have quietly built a young and scary looking team anchored by a couple of veterans who are easily able to fight regression to keep the window alive. With a very young team, they have already shattered expectations this past season by breezing past their casino line with utter ease. Look forward to the improvement out of this young NOLA team as they will be slowly climbing their way into the top of the league and will likely stay there for some time. It will likely be a few seasons yet until they are true contenders, but they should be breaking into the playoffs in the next season or two. Once they have completed that feat, though, they will soon become clear favorites to make the finals on a regular basis for seasons to come.

Quote:19. (+3 TPE) Pills 150 words min
Love it or hate it, that Pill PT (PT 2) was wild and may I say, genius. You've partnered up with the weird trench coat pill guy to design your own pills, with powers and drawbacks to sell to your fellow SHLers! How do you go about this, do you make really good pills to help your team? Trick Hamilton into taking some really shitty pills with the promise of incredible powers? Or do what I did and make a bunch of insane pills and watch the league go absolutely crazy trying to make sense of what the fuck I'm even talking about? Or just make a bunch of jelly beans?

Honestly, I'm not the most creative person around and if weird trench coat man already has a set up to create jelly beans, I might just go crazy and start competing with Jelly Belly to see if we can beat them on flavor count. Flavors are easier than powers and drawbacks, I think. You can literally just pick something up, taste it, and make a flavor of that thing. I doubt that Jelly Belly has a drywall flavor. Take that Jelly Belly. The real trick would be matching the chalkiness of drywall in a jelly bean type of product. Other flavors can be more fun and tasty like outer space. We can crowd fund a fearless adventurer (or maybe a few, because let's face it, it's a dangerous task) to see what outer space tastes like. If we can cram that taste of space radiation into a jelly bean, I know for sure that we would teach Jelly Belly the most important lesson of all: they can't beat our beans.

[Image: uMyJK4x.png]

13. I think their is definitely something to be said about parity being an issue in the SHL. Only getting here in April I’m still a pretty new player not even playing in the SHL yet so I can only speak from my own short experience. But I can definitely see how only having a few contending teams can cause new users to lose interest if they aren’t all about playing for a rebuilding team and building something or just getting drafted to a powerhouse team and continuously winning championships. I’m not saying any team is Alabama but I know for a fact all I do at this point is hope for Alabama football to lose to get some parity in the college football playoff. Like I said previously I only got here in April so I can’t speak for SHL championships but I see how some users could be deterred if the same few teams keep winning. For a simulation league to be in its 60th season is just a testament to the dedication of so many users throughout the league and I’m sure the parity issue will be resolved soon enough.

14. So as a prospect on the Baltimore Platoon I obviously have to be biased but at the end of the day when you look at the numbers this team really is the next one up. A top forward group with Karl Krashwagen leading the way sets the tone on the offensive end of the ice. Top end talent at the top and Depth throughout the defensive corps this team is one of the deepest in the league. On top of that the goaltending might be the best in the league including the top 4 teams that continuously compete for championships. Two rookies of the years candidates in Mew Two and Noel Blanchet along with prospect Eric Tokke show there is young depth coming through the pipelines as well. After making a deep playoff run this year and with a plethora of talent throughout the lineup the future looks bright for the platoon.

19. Given the absolute ridiculousness of this task I would mix a little bit of wildness with adding parity to the league as a whole. Given the previous statement on the top teams Texas Hamilton Chicago & Buffalo would all be duped into getting the “greatest pills since sliced bread” but in all actuality every player who took these pills would immediately be bed ridden. Dropping deuces left and right or stuck in their room with pink eye it really doesn’t matter what. All that matter is the top dogs are out of commission and it’s a free for all throughout the league! All the other teams who haven’t competed at the highest level will get pill with magical fairy dust and the super water bottle that bugs bunny used at halftime in Space Jam. Obviously the combination of those two is what these teams are missing am I right or am I right? Right. All in all the pill experiment would be a rousing success, and would without a doubt make a huge impact across the league. For reasons why vary among the players but a simple sketchy meeting with a guy with a trench coat can solve all of the parity problems SHL wide.

21. Ayy man I’ve only been here since April so I sent speak on any PT’s or anything before that, but I think you are doing a FANTASTIC job. This damn league started so long ago so the people and users who have been here from the beginning must have seen every PT known to mankind, until pills lol. I can’t imagine how much work it takes to come up with all this stuff and keep it from being mundane. And then on top of that you came up with the idea to do two prompts to appease the old farts who have no imagination and don’t wanna make some crazy stuff up once in a while. Props to you and I propose a pay raise of $400 million.

Milestones: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3120292

Trivia :
Victor Helstrom
Boom

Code:
ThroughMyVeins

Code:
SMJHL Milestones

Code:
To me, personally, I'd say the Season 46 draft has been the most influential one by miles, as we can still vividly feel its impact on the SHL today. Just looking at the first round is impressive enough, but then you start realizing that even players drafted as the fifth round - Yoshimitsu McCloud and Jules Watt - contributed in the league for a long amount of time before their retirement a few seasons ago (omitting Karlstrasse Scholz here, as this was a GM pick.) I could ramble on about the names, but just the fact that fifteen players have been drafted 16 seasons ago, and are still active, fighting regression, and being key contributors for each of their respective teams is impressive - moreso when you realize that some more recent draft classes, namely 51 and 52, have less players still in the league than the S46 draft class! And that's not even counting the players that have already retired after an incredible career. You also have to remember that this was the draft class that led to the creation of the Chicago Syndicate and New Orleans Specters - which led the path for more expansions later on, as the retention on this draft was quite spectacular.

(204 words)

Code:
11a. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.
Yay! The underdogs of the league, the Hamilton Steelhawks, have once again prevailed in the playoffs and paid acquired themselves another Challenge Cup. Of course, their roster is monstrous. Of course, they had 4 different players score 20+ points in 19 playoff games. Of course, they even managed to sweep the Western Conference's own monster, the Texas Renegades! So with all that said, I'll award the MVP of the series to each and every person that's on the 16 "other" teams of the SHL, those that haven't seen a Cup final, or even a series win, for so long. Thank you for your passion, dedication, and for not going completely crazy as history seems to be repeating itself over and over again. (But for the sake of the task, it's Mitchell van der Heijden for his games 1 and 3 performances, as well as my Swiss bias.)

(147 words)

Code:
Just look above as to how tired I am of the situation - but no, it's not all doom and gloom, in my opinion. The teams we've seen at the top for so long are well built, for sure, but other contenders are also popping up in each conference, and growing rapidly. As GMs learn to take advantage of the sim engine, with all its flaws, the TPE advantage the "top" teams have will slowly dwindle (although that would mean that we need to tweak the regression percentages, which is a thorny topic.) Yes, there's still the element of the "goalie roll", but I still feel like that can be overcame. The biggest challenge we're facing, as a league, is if my optimism is misplaced, and these teams continue dominating all the way through the 60s - may it be by apathy from everyone else, or by just being the only places where you can win a championship in many players' minds, both of these outcomes being unfavorable. I hope we can see some teams ripe for bursting truly emerge in the coming 3 seasons. I want to see some giants slain.

(190 words)

Code:
21. Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min
It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and its stupid.
I was the first one to be skeptical of your hire, wondering what kind of PTs we'd be having. And while some of those choices are really out of the ordinary (that pill PT sure was controversial, eh?), it's been still fairly easy to get my words in for the week, so I'd say you fulfill your task well. Just wish we'd be speaking more about our player's life within the organization, and the community surrounding their franchise's location, as well as exploring the somewhat... extenuating pace of the scheduling in the SHL, at times (I'm talking about three straight back-to-backs... most of them away!) But I understand that those are all topics the veterans have been through, so you may feel like it's repetitive. Oh, and get the whip out on your graders, I need my updates to be organized or I go ballistic. Wink

(145 words)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!