Create Account

S61 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2021, 02:10 AM by Asked Madden.)

1. Wangs (3TPE)

4. A biopic of the career of Friedensreich Hundertwasser so far would contain 5 key scenes.
The first scene is of course of him picking up the phone to blitz, of the St Louis Scarecrows as a free agent upon entering the league.
The second scene would be the draft party with all his fellow St Louis DFAs, getting absolutely tanked up on beer then bearing his name get called 2 rounds earlier than he expected. Celebrations and shenanigans ensue.
The 3rd scene would be getting the team vote for Assistant captain on the scarecrows in his very first season. This came out of the blue and was a very emotional time.
The 4th scene would be of him on the SHL draft day being elated at going one before his rival, Finn von Murphenstein to the Specters.
There would then be a supercut of all of the disappointment in St Louis followed by the 5th and final scene of him taking the ice for NOLA (3TPE)

12. Milestones (1TPE)

13. The small number of teams who make it to the finals in this league has an awful lot to do with the ludicrous amount of time you can keep a player active at a high level of TPE. The regression calculations in this league are a lot softer than others and due to that a team that hits on 5-10 active users in a small number of seasons can stay competitive for seasons to come. Then what is a better way of attracting the best free agents than constantly winning. Someone wanting to ring chase, who are you going to pick? A team who's not been in the big game in over 8 seasons or one who seems to get there every single year.
What's it going to take to knock them off? Great question. A team or 3 will need to Foster an environment where players want to stay throughout there fill career and hit on all draft picks... Like NOLA. (3TPE)

14. Well colour me biased but I believe there is only one team ready to to knock the top 4 down a peg. And that team plays in shocking purple. They call themselves the New Orleans Specters.
Why am I so sure that the Specters will be the next big thing?
We have been drafting like a team possessed. Seriously have you looked at our S58 class? Amidships, Asked Madden, Zayn & Nic are all in the upper echelons of TPE. We have brought back the heart and soul of the team in Slash - who has been helping to run lines and eviscerate the preseason over under for the last few seasons. We've brought in 2 sim league legends in Keygan and Caltroit and have a series of other huge draft picks in The5urreal & AirCrou amongst many other huge picks. The futures bright, the futures purple and we are getting spooky up in this bitch soon. (3TPE)

20. What is this? A crossover episode!!
In the isfl football league I have a (pretty shitty) football playing Defensive End named Raylan Crowder. Crowder has a huge amount of heart and a lot of loyalty but that's about all the good I can come up with.
Crowder has been doomed to mediocrity ever since he sold his soul for a championship coming into the ISFL.
In his move to the hockey rink Crowder mostly looks like he would suit up as some form of enforcer or goon type. Not very balanced hell likely stumble around on the ice hitting anything that moves whether that be his own team mates or his opposition he'll be put on to sort out the shit.
Goal scoring? Never heard of it. Crowder is yet to register a point in the isfl and I can only see that continuing in his foray to the shl meaning no assists either.  (3TPE)

[Image: Hockeymans.gif]
[Image: E8Qr7c5.gif]
Sigs by: Rum Ham, Orbiting Death x2, Enigmatic & Kyamprac

Task 1 – 3 TPE, 3 Total
CW Trivia – Victor Helstrom, JoeK

Task 2 – 3 TPE, 6 Total

The one thing I would change would be the Hamilton Steelhawks breaking STHS with the 40 passing nonsense. If they either A: never figured it out, or even better, B: it didn’t work and break the sim, we’d still be sitting in all of our STHS glory. The effects it would have are rather large, since we’d never be forced to move to a sim engine that only a small part of the league knew about it. The SHL has been really boring since Hamilton took over, and since they had the most knowledge, they win a ton. It wasn’t fair to the rest of the league. We could’ve very easily tweaked STHS to work a little better so everyone wasn’t the same build, and we wouldn’t have to strain our simmers nearly as much since it took significantly less time to sim games. STHS was random, but random wasn’t bad. FHM is simply “have the most TPE, and you win”. It’s still taking some time for 90% of the league to catch up. (174)

Task 3 – 3 TPE, 9 Total

I’m incredibly biased, but the S31 class was the best class in the SHL, and it saved it in many ways. I’m not entirely sure the SHL is still here when we came aboard. From what I hear, it was doing “just okay” and was fledgling a little bit as many teams (and there were only 14 of them) rocked a lot of IA players. Then the S31 boom hits. We helped lead the charge into the discord era, which was HUGE for the league. We got MANY incredible players from this draft who helped shaped the league for years to come: Myself, Pris, Evans, Tomen, Wally, BK, ToeDragon, Twils, JY was in that class but im not sure he counts, and a few more I can’t think of asap. This class helped with more Reddit classes, became GMs all over the site, and most of them have hall of famers. This site is completely different if S31 never happened how it did. Everyone that came after we did are just following our path. (174)

Task 6 – 4 TPE, 13 Total
a. The answer is Hamilton, simply because they end up having to play Buffalo, and the East is generally considered better than the West. Texas swept two teams and technically only had to deal with one hard team in Chicago. But yeah, Hamilton v Buffalo would normally be our Challenge Cup final, but luckily with the new way we do things, it cannot be. (63)

b. It’s much more impressive to do what Texas did. Starting from scratch in order to get to this point where they’re a dominant team is tough, just ask Toronto, who was “doing it right” but never really competed for the cup. It takes a lot of time from a lot of people to get to where they are today. Meanwhile, Hamilton consistently gets top players who want to win a cup for free, usually in free agency or other teams make bad trades. People pour their time into this game, so of course they want to win. But in terms of building, it’s a lot easier to stay relevant when a lot of the work is done for you. (120)

c. A renegade is a bad ass outlaw type dude. He doesn’t take shit from anyone and gets what he wants by any means necessary. A Steelhawk is a really shitty pokemon that can only use moves like “swift” consistently. Its found in the Northern Regions of the world. As for Victor Helstrom, he’s definitely some long time ago obscure player that Slash really enjoyed for some reason so he made him a bit character in this season’s CW. (79)

d. The best player to play for either team is going to end up being Robert Phelps. It was close between him and Jack Durden, but Phelps was a legend who had a crazy good career that spanned over STHS and FHM. He produced in both. He was so good that he eventually ended up a part owner of the league. That’s hard to do. (65)

Task 12 – 3 TPE, 16 Total

Milestones +3 TPE

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

ISFL PT +3

CW TRIVIA - Victor Helstrom +3

Milestones - +3

20. My player from the International Simulation Football League, Defensive End Demon Jaxson, would be an absolutely beastly hitman of a defender. Any attackers bearing down on the goal with Jaxson in front of them would literally be quaking in their boots as they see a 6 foot 6 inches, 300 pounds of pure muscle animal of a man looking to bounce them out of the arena. Most of the time Jaxson would not even have to make the tackle as the opposing attacker would be so kind as to offer the puck up to Jaxson in exchange for not getting crushed. On the other end of the spectrum, Jaxson would also be absolutely nasty when it comes to long shots as he could probably put his 85 strength to good use, being able to blast it in from anywhere around the rink. The only issue with Jaxsons shooting ability would be his accuracy, of which he probably has none. +3

7. I really hope this is good enough lol
[Image: image0.png] +2?

6b. I know what my thoughts on the matter are - it is definitely much to pull yourself and you team out of that losing slump and manage to become one of the greats, as when you’re already a good team, you will have no issue attracting free agent megastars to keep you good, but as a bad team you have to draft exceptionally well to get players that will elevate your team to the next level. +1

6c. A renegade is literally someone who deserts and betrays an organisation, country or set of principles, and this is according to google. So in other words a renegade is a snake traitor who ditches their beliefs (again according to google). Now tbh I have no clue what a Steelhawks is but I guess it’s someone who plays for Hamilton in the SHL? As I don’t think it’s an actual real life animal. +1
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 10:43 PM by DELIRIVM.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Nik

6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion?

Hamilton had the harder path. But it's not like it was a problem. The team is just a juggernaut at this point. Nobody was able to slow them down. Texas swept teams because they are a good team in a horrible conference. Hamilton didn't get taken to 7 games once because they are a juggernaut that could take down the best teams with ease. No comparison between teams here. Texas would be the 3rd or 4th best team in the East, simply put. 

b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness?

Most people will probably say staying good is the more impressive thing to do in the SHL. But honestly, this day and age? It's just getting to that point. Building is hard because all the teams stay good about 95% of the time. Keeping a team together, like Hamilton, seems pretty easy at this point. Building is the hard part. But we'll see what happens if Hamilton starts to faulter (hopefully) at some point. 

c. What is a renegade? What is a steelhawk? Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?

A renegade is someone who has a bounty on their head and needs to be retrieved by a lawman of sorts. A steelhawk seems like something only viable in pokemon. I think there is a pokemon called Skarmory that is pretty much the same thing. As for Victor Helstrom, I know he played for Winnipeg and was a player long before my time. 

d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.

Probably Aaron Wilson. The dude just oozes talent and it's obvious when he's on the ice that he's the best player on the best team in the league. I could say that this Hamilton team might be the best team the SHL has ever seen. They are ridiculously talented from top to bottom. And there is no reason that a guy like Aaron Wilson can't be looked at as the best Steelhawk in the history of the team. He's just too good. 

12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

3 TPE for Milestones

13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)

There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

Huge issue. I think the problem is player movement. There needs to be incentive for players moving in the league. Stagnation and certain locker rooms only attracting certain types of people are going to be the problem. I know that there are people that don't want to play in certain locker rooms while others gravitate there. On top of that we have people that are huge front runners in the league. They only want to play for a team that is winning. So I think it's a collection of many little problems that add up into one huge problem. We're looking at problems ranging from bad GMs to lack of vision. People wanting to leave and play for big teams and then when they get there they don't want to leave because they want to win. Winning teams put up more stats and people want stats. So ultimate, unless we have more teams rise like Baltimore has over the last few seasons. We're going to be stuck with the same few teams in the finals over and over and over. How boring!

[182 Words]

14. Written, 3 TPE, Upswing (150 words min.)

What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?

I think the next team to break into the playoffs will be NOLA. The team has a great vision and they're getting better and better every season. Only a matter of time before they are a playoff team. As for a team that will break into the finals soon? Easily Baltimore. The Platoon were the only team to challenge Hamilton at all in the playoffs this season and the Baltimore roster is just getting more deadly and more seasoned with each passing year. I think it's only a matter of time before we see the Platoon in the cup finals and emerging from the East. Absolutely amazing job building that team from JR95 and MasterSheep. I don't think a better rebuild has been done. But I am definitely biased there! Baltimore has a chance to be one of the highest TPE teams in league history. Rivalling and possibly passing TPE levels of the Hamilton Steelhawks team of this season. Honestly, it's looking like Baltimore will be very scary in S62. 

[170 Words]

[Image: 2Y6XCEF.png]
[Image: Xwhw2zl.gif]
[Image: 2utoLVQ.png]

PBE +3

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

corny

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=119534

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

ahoy

Code:
There has been some discussion on the forums but its always good to hear more opinions: Parity. Going back 6 seasons including this one there have been 4 teams in the finals: Buffalo, Chicago, Hamilton, and Texas. If you add New Orleans you can go back 8 seasons. 5 different teams for 8 straight finals. Is this an issue? Does it need to be fixed? Can it even be fixed? I'm interested to hear opinions, approaches, or just doom and gloom on whether you think this will change, or if we will still be talking about the same teams making the finals over and over in 5 seasons.

Parity is a bit of a problem, it's true. This is something that seems to happen in a lot of sim leagues and it becomes a difficult problem. A lot of these teams got to where they are because they have good, dedicated GMs who have taken time to learn the sim engine, to do the research and draft well, and make good free agent decisions. Then you establish a good reputation and a good locker room environment and naturally people want to be a part of that. So it's easier for the good teams to recruit and keep people then it is for those teams that still need to prove themselves. And there's no good way to fix the parity problem without punishing GMs who are ultimately doing excellent work. So ultimately you just have to hope that other GMs take what those teams are doing as motivation, try to learn a bit from their systems and what they're doing, and work hard to build their own dynasties. Sure, it's a bit harder to do when you're not already established, but being able to crack the code is a great feeling. We had this problem in the SBA for many years, where one of two teams was winning the championship for many seasons. Now we've had new champions the last four or five seasons and it's great. People figured out how to beat the dynasties and we're in a better place. I think there's a lot of teams in the SHL who are right on the cusp of being in the conversation so this shouldn't be a problem much longer. (271 words.)

Code:
15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (100 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC if you care about that more. Will there be surprises? Will any players make their country proud? Who's gonna suck? Be bold!

Bold? I can only be so bold. I think a lot of the teams who were good last season will be good again. Canada and Japan will likely be up there right at the top. Unfortunately, my lovely Russian crew is in a bit of a rebuild so I don't know how good our showing is going to be. I hope to have another strong performance like I did last year. I guess I was a bit of a surprise because I would have earned people the most points in fantasy but very few people picked me (I didn't even pick me). Hopefully I don't have a bunch of people pick me this year only for me to be a disappointment. That would make me sad. (126 words.)

Code:
21. Written, 2 TPE, Feed my back (its hungry) 100 words min
It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and its stupid.

Not to be a suck up and all that, but I think you've been doing a really good job with the PTs. I'm really appreciating the creativity with the PTs and like that we're able to go beyond basic stuff like "Which team do you think is the most surprising this year and which is the biggest disappointment?" I've just answered those types of questions one too many times. I appreciate that you get us to think outside the box about our players, beyond their stats and what they do on the ice. I think the roleplaying aspect of sim leagues doesn't get the love it deserves. The people we create are more than hockey players! (116 words.)

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max
Verification Word: bayleysux

Quote:12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
+3 TPE - Milestones

[Image: petrov.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 11:08 PM by Tayjay.)

PBE affiliate +3

Code:

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

Milestone +2 

Code:

Calgary

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE, What if...? (150 words min.)
Pick a moment in SHL history to change. It could be something large, an expansion draft, sim engine change, or something smaller, like a trade or team punishment. Change something about this moment in the SHL and explain the impact the difference would make in how the league developed since that moment. (think Butterfly Effect)

If I could go back in time and change anything in Simulation Hockey League history it would probably be the dumb penalty they gave to the Toronto Stars for budget issues that happened like eight year prior. We were on the cusp of greatness and had a ton of great pieces. I believe that was the year that we were one game away from the final as well. If ml was not forced to trade Juni and then turn around and retire to keep us under cap then we could very well have a championship. Or even I could still be a North Star. Then who knows, maybe I would not be taken in expansion and I could still be a star. Let's take it one step further. If we took that game seven against Buffalo we could have went on and won the championship. All three of those events took place very close to each other so the timeline could be changed forever.

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.)
You've been contacted by a big film studio who wants to center the next big hockey movie around your career so far! All you need to do is supply a 150+ word explanation about what will be key scenes of moments or games in your career, the cast, and a general timeline of the film as it follows you from team to team, junior to pro. This one is open ended so how you approach it is up to you!

Oh man. What a boring movie this will be. So I began my life playing up north in Sweden near the Arctic Circle. I was not a very sought after prospect so I spent most of my time skating around on frozen ponds with the locals. I went to a tryout after a Swedish national game. I got a all back and was able to secure a free agent signing with the Anaheim Outlaws. We won a championship in that first season and it was still one of the best moments of my career. I spent a few more years in the juniors and then came up and basically didn't do much during our rebuild. After almost half a decade, and without a ton of achievements under my belt, I was left exposed by Toronto. This was a downer for my career and a real pivotal moment in the movie. I spent two years in Montreal, and while the team was cool the on ice production did not match. A big trade sent me to Calgary this offseason and then that is where the movie cuts out and looks for a part two.

Code:
It's been 2 seasons now and I can always use constructive criticism. What have I done right regarding PTs? What have I done wrong? Was I doing something the wrong way and fixed it? Was I doing something the right way and fuck it up? Do I even deserve 8 mil a season? Any and all thoughts are welcome EXCEPT malicious posts. Do not attack me, or my work. If you have a problem with it, explain why. Don't just say it sucks and its stupid.

I think the Point Tasks and the mini point tasks, as well as the Championship Week tasks are great. I think that you switch them up decently and that there are a plethora of options if we do not want to write a specific topic. I think that it keeps it refreshing and I always find something that I like and that I can write about. The only thing I do wish that we would bring back is the Haiku. I thought those were so cool and that there were some really fun entries. I came up with some really good ones, or at least I thought they were good to me haha, but those were my favorite Championship Week point tasks.

[Image: 15Ng51w.png][Image: draNOgf.png]

Quote:1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Word: Foreman

Quote:12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total. Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones

S61 Milestones

Quote:2. Written, 3 TPE, What if...? (150 words min.)
Pick a moment in SHL history to change. It could be something large, an expansion draft, sim engine change, or something smaller, like a trade or team punishment. Change something about this moment in the SHL and explain the impact the difference would make in how the league developed since that moment. (think Butterfly Effect)

This was probably the easiest prompt for me. What if the league had never changed sim engines or we went back to STHS. I think we've clearly seen the change has benefited offensive players the most and has frozen out a lot of players who would be considered stay-at-home defensemen or defensive defensemen. Players who were on their way toward 2000 were never affected the way the DFD and stay at home defensemen were, players with often lower TPE counts but higher stats in checking and passing. So what would the big changes be? I think the Winnipeg Jets would have been a power house defensively enough to challenge Hamilton as team of the S50s. Eric Vanderberg and Adam Barron set team records that season and were backed by Strom Chamberlain and Nick Brain. If the Jets win the S52 Cup, does Hamilton as a primarily offensive geared team go on to win any cups in the S50 decade?

Quote:6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Hamilton was not taken to 7 games, Texas enjoyed two series sweeps, which team had the harder path to the final in your opinion?
b. Almost ten seasons ago, in S53, Hamilton enjoyed a 40 win season while Texas mustered a measly 9 wins. Now these two teams sit atop the season standings, and the playoff standings. Which is more impressive, to stay good for a decade, or to complete the rebuild and finally achieve greatness?
c. What is a renegade? What is a steelhawk? Who is Victor Helstrom from the CW trivia?
d. Who is the best player to play for either team? Is it a current player? Retired? Traded? Make your case.

A. Regardless of sweeps, I think Texas probably had the longer and tougher road. Hamilton is a juggernaut, whereas Texas has a more all-around roster. The teams they faced heading into the playoffs finished as expected and would have loved nothing more than to knock Texas out early. That's a tough thing to face down early in the playoffs.

B. People often say its easier to keep the weight off than it is to lose the weight. Sure, once you're there its easy to maintain that high level of excellence. Look at Buffalo. Rebuilds are fickle, you have to make guesses on the fly, work at every angle, push every advantage and even then you might not pull it off. Texas hit every on every bet they made, to me, that's the most impressive.

C. A renegade is an outlaw, someone who plys their trade on the fringes of society for good or bad. A steelhawk is a hawk with sharp claws that feel like steel when they grip prey. Victor Helstrom is a guy who plays SHL hockey. Since this isn't trivia, that's the best you're going to get from me.

D. You know, I think ill be the one who outright says Aaron Wilson is probably the best point scorer and overall player we've seen in a very long time. He may actually be the one standout player on a team of them on the dynastic Hamilton Steelhawks. He's sharp, smart, he's got a great heart and vision on the ice. My money is on him as a 1st ballot HOFer.

Quote:4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.)
You've been contacted by a big film studio who wants to center the next big hockey movie around your career so far! All you need to do is supply a 150+ word explanation about what will be key scenes of moments or games in your career, the cast, and a general timeline of the film as it follows you from team to team, junior to pro. This one is open ended so how you approach it is up to you!

First key scene, showing generations of Davenport's family working as fishermen in Eastbourne to his father graduating college and mother flying fighters for the RAF. Second key scene, skating and falling down at a local rink as a little kid with his dad saying "I don't know, you have to crawl before you can walk." Next key scene, a great showing at a local tournament for hockey hopefuls leading to a chance meeting with the GM of the Quebec City Citadels before the S58 Juniors Draft. The movie culminates in the penultimate scene, Davenport lifting the Four Star cup with his teammates and then showing his tearful goodbye as he goes to the SHL.

Title: The Hopeful

Cast:
Timothee Chalmet as Brian Davenport
Martin Freeman as Kieran Davenport, Brian's father.
Alexa Davalos as Sandra Davenport, Brian's mother.
Damian Lewis as Michael Knox, Brian's Coach
John Boyega as Nathan Brooks, Brian's best friend
Andrew Lincoln as Oisin Fletcher, Quebec City GM and retired SHL Star

1. CW Trivia - 3 TPE
Verification Word: Verification

3. Biopic (150 words) - 3 TPE
Any biopic about Jon St. Ark needs to start where he was born, Innsbruck, Austria. We'd spend a little bit of time here, showing Jon growing up with the game and how he got into goaltending. Then we'd have to focus on his move across the world to Vancouver after being drafted by the Whalers. That first season with Vancouver would be a major part, showing how he started out his career red hot, being named an All Star, winning the Four-Star Cup, and winning Rookie of the Year! After that, the teams around him weren't as strong, so it would show a slide of his career, continuing to his draft by the New Orleans Specters. But then a final, and hopeful, section of the biopic where he plays well with his team and is once again named as an All-Star. It has all the beats, including the highest highs and the lowest lows. (154 words)

6. Grab Bag, b. (50 words) - 1 TPE
To me, Texas improvement from a team at the bottom into a perennial post-season favorite is more impressive than Hamilton's continued dominance. Hamilton has dominated for seasons uncounted at this point, whereas Texas has had to rebuild their team from basically scratch. At a certain point, momentum is your friend and that's certainly the case for Hamilton. They just need to maintain their core and make small updates her and there. Texas, meanwhile, needed to build that core up from nothing and then have them continue to dominate and perform. Never an easy thing. (94 words)

12. Milestones - 3 TPE
Milestone Link

13. Parody (150 words) - 3 TPE
This league is a parody of parity, is one way of putting it. Texas, Chicago, Hamilton, and Buffalo have a stranglehold on this league and there doesn't seem to be any way to dislodge them. You can't blame the top teams, they are operating within the bounds of the rules and just each have an extremely strong core of active users that are able to stave off serious regression until one of their top picks is ready to slot into the lineup. Unless there's some sort of catastrophe to those cores, however, there's no real way for the other teams to catch up or make meaningful progress. Sure, we'll get some teams that might make a run but its going to be an uphill way the entire time. There's really only two possible solutions. One, increase salary minimums for high-TPE players so that there's a better balance of TPE across the teams in the league. Or, make regression much more impactful so that these championship windows aren't so incredibly long. (170 words)

14. Upswing (150 words) - 3 TPE
Finally, now I get a chance to talk about the New Orleans Specters, and how we will soon conquer the league. Yes, Texas, Hamilton, Chicago, and Buffalo all need to be on notice, because the boys in purple are on the march! Okay, maybe it won't be quite that dramatic, but New Orleans is absolutely on the come up. We were bottom of the league a few seasons ago but we've already started to make some serious strides and we were fighting for a playoff spot this season. I predict that, as long as the team continues to develop, we'll make the playoffs next season and then potentially make it to the next round the season after. A championship is possible, but its going to take a tremendous amount of work to get there and we'll see if this team has it in them. But the building blocks are there for the Specters to make a lot of noise in the post season. (163 words)

16/16 TPE

[Image: v71TGsT.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 09:52 PM by .bojo.)

1: CW Trivia +3?
joafsdiljfaosdifjasdpof

7: Ring +2
[Image: unknown.png]

9: Banner +3

12: Milestones: +3
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3119474

16: Onto the next +3

21: Feedback +2

As someone who is starting to kinda fade out a bit from the SHL, the PTs haven't really changed so drastically for a while that I would say anything is bad. I guess I've seen so many PTs now that they all start to kinda blur in together. Maybe we should think outside the box a bit. Graphics and Written PTs makes sense, should always keep them. But maybe encourage new ways to have people do tasks. get some high score on some random game, encourage people to interact via games, podcasts, or something really different. Maybe like an paint art collab where you can screenshot your contribution. watching the all star game. anytime you meet a shl'er in real life have that take credit. I know there's PT passes where if you do stuff on another site you get credit here, which is great. But we should whatever we can to make people want to do the PT in SHL. None of this is to say you're doing a bad job, you're doing just as good as any PT dood. I guess just think about like maybe a year or two down the road. Do I want to write disposable PTs every week?

Victor Helstrom

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Draft Kings (150 words min.)
Pick a draft class in the SHL that you believe had the most impact on the SHL. It can be a consensus pick, like S36, 31, or 53, or an off-the-board one (S41?). Explain your reasoning to why this draft class impacted the league; Could be in a good way, or a bad way.
Do I know anything about history, or am I going to be extremely biased here? You already know what it is, season 55. Elite all the way throughout, full of sleepers, steals, and team leading studs. At the top you have Toronto's new core being led by Slate and Jones (both 55 fellas), or Balitmore being led by Nikiforov, Raiden, and Murphy. We can take it further with San Francisco having 4 of the top 12 members by TPE as they round out of their rebuild (you're gonna see this come back later) including their GM. Speaking of GM's, there are ~6 current or former (RIP Overdoo) GM's from the draft. By most standards this is a wildly influential draft class, and one crazy thing to me is the lack of movement. Thanks to the timing of the S56 expansion draft there was no threat of young guns from S55 being snagged by the expansion teams, leading to, in my opinion, a very strong base of support for competitive and rebuilding teams alike to have support from their youth. I think about New Orleans specifically here, as they were a strongly competitve team at the time of the draft and had a future Co and captain in Conner Hutton available to stay in the minors while defensemen were at a premium in the expansion draft.

Code:
Above 150 I think

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.),
The hockey movie on Axel Foley would be pretty small in scope and would have to focus a tad bit on his ability to overcome adversity at a young age, and mostly his time with the Carolina Kraken in Juniors as that's where his one championship has taken place. I love Edmonton, but without there being a peak in a similar sense to what Carolina had, and as long as the consistent success stays, well, consistent, there aren't enough peaks and valleys to satisfyingly end a film on. If I think about a film on Foley, perhaps it could be the downward spiral of his teams successes as he gains more prominent roles on them, culminating in Edmonton being reverse swept in his rookie season. It would conveniently ignore the bounce back seasons after, but for dramas sake there being an in depth look at the Carolina cup winning teams followed by their losses to Vancouver/Newfoundland (wherein Foley was a captain), would act as a great hit piece that highlights his inability to win... now that I think about it I don't think this would get signed off on by Foley, but it's kinda accurate for him.

Code:
At LEAST 200 words

Code:
11a. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Reflecting back on the series, who gets your vote for series MVP? Make the case why this player deserves it over any other.
For series MVP, this thing was so tight it's hard to give it to one player. In a low scoring series Mitchell van der Heidjen DID have the most points, but without the direct stats in front of me I get the sense there was a lot of scoring around him that series (14 goals in the series, it was definitely a committee approach despite MvdH highlighting it). It's the smae thing with Texas, they had a bunch of players tied at 2 points and, well, they got swept so I don't think they can make an arguement for series MVP. Goalies are another spot to find a potential MVP but with no shutouts, and a strong defensive core on either side I chalk this series up more to defence than anything. So... I can't give it to one player (it's impossible to track down the scoring specific to the series without going to box scores/streams, and fuck it I'm doing the procrastinator special. You feel me) so I feel like giving it to the defence of Hamilton is a fair enough compromise. First, it lets me shoutout defence and I LOVE defence--seriosuly, give one of them MVP one of these times--but it also recognizes Hamilton's team depth that allowed them to win the cup for the whatever-st time in how many-th years.

Code:
I don't feel like counting, just trust me bro

Code:

Milestones, 2 TPE claimed

Code:

I think it's hard to deny that parity has been an issue for a long time, and in my opinion it is nearly impossible to enforce it while also having an equal playing ground for all teams. In the nature of a sim league, the cap means jack shit. Let's just be real. It might force some movement, but when a team has a choice between some prospects or a 2000 TPE centre, theyre gonna trade the prospects for a couple lotto picks down the line and turn those guys into high picks. So the cap itself feels a bit useless, and that's because the most important aspect of sim leagues come in success and relationships. Success works in two ways. First, to be successful you need a solid current roster that is built off strong drafting and that strong drafting pays massive dividends when you supplement your roster through call-ups/trade. What it also does is create interest in players on worse teams to go to these top teams. This, combined with the importance of juniors locker rooms is huge in creating heavy streams of players going to top teams. Look at Poroshenko and Marner going to Chicago, they were brought there thanks to 1. a winning culture, and 2. the people they already knew there.

I think this highlights a huge issue with parity; the human element. You can see it developing in Philidelphia with a LOT of Anchorage players being pulled there, and exists with Carolina to Los Angeles, Vancouver and Hamilton (starting to be split between Hamilton and Edmonton now a days) or even the Maine and San Francisco connection. Junior teams and SHL teams start bearing a striking resemblance to a Juniors all-star team from their youth. So players want to go where they know people, and the people they know are on good teams, and the cap doesn't really impact a whole lot because.... well who wants to go Minnesota (no offence) over Hamilton for 2 million extra dollars a year? I highly doubt that any player is going to forego a championship shot for 10 TPE over the course of a full season. Furthermore the human issue also presents itself in how GM's can be very loose with their currencies and end up getting stuck in a rut where they want to have successful players to offset past failures, so they trade for a good teams squeezed out prospects and pay a premium to get ahead of other rebuilding teams for a potential 2000 TPE guy, but it all just ends up creating a loop where they give up valuable assets in the midst of rebuilds and get fucked.

So with all that taken into account, there's really no way to fix parity. It's all on the individuals to potentially just stick it out with teams they know won't win for a while, or end up being part of the issue because they want to see some success for the years they put into the sim. You can't make rules to break the personality out of decisions, so it's kinda scuffed at a league level when you think about it. In fact, it'd probably take someone making  move purely for the sake of parity by signing with the little guys for once to give it a chance.

Code:
150 words

Code:
What team on the outside looking in do you believe will be the next to break into the playoffs? What team will be the next new team to break into the finals (other than the core 4 listed in the above task)? Who seems to be building and earning at a rate that they will be a scary team in the future? We have already seen some successful rebuilds in Texas, Toronto, and Tampa, and some unsuccessful ones as well. Who is on the right track?
It's gotta be San Francisco. When I said this was gonna come back later, this is what I meant. Their core is comprised of S55 players that are all top 12 in TPE for the season. This includes a 1st pairing defence unit (Oscarsson, Bjerg), their starting goalie (Antonescue), and a potential 1st line centre (Stromberg). This of course supplements a current core of Peternko, Svenson, and Osterman that are all within 2-5 seasons of that core, and are entering their peaks. In Svenson's case, he'll still be in the midst of "regression" (read; plateuing with the potential not to drop off) while that younger core makes their mark. They also have two elite young guys in Kev Kevens and Ruggs McOoooh coming up. I feel confident that given that core, they will be able to make the necessary additions to get to the cup finals within the next 5 seasons. Of course, their GM group has shown an aggressive nature when necessary. Trading for Marner to make the playoffs and attempt to convince them to stay, or when they ended up making another deadline buy to get Oscarsson (who was convinced to sign long-term). With the aggression on the market they've shown, there's no reason to doubt they won't be seeing success soon.

Code:
Around 150 or smth

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

ISFL Afilliate +3 TPE
SMJHL Milestones +3 TPE
Code:

Verification word: verification
Code:
7. Graphic, 2 TPE, This one's for Seymour
Design a championship ring for either team. Yeah you can use the ring site.

[Image: 3rCyXf4.png]
Code:

I would absolutely like to see a change to a hyper static series of just a few teams dominating the finals for years on end. Especially given that all of the teams that have been dominating the finals series are all so boring. The most interesting of them all is Hamilton, and that's only because they spice things up by blatantly cheating and influencing the league owners to bypass Head Office.

Here are my suggestions for spicing things up and getting the whole process of change in the league revved the heck up.

1. Speed up player careers.

I already feel like I've been on this site for like 6 years and I haven't even made it out of the J. Careers here seem to last forever and it takes way longer than it should to get good. Double the TPE earned across the board and start regression earlier while making it harsher.

2. Make salaries a harsher curve.

In order to push player movement and prevent teams getting way too stacked, make max TPE players more expensive on teams.

3. Ban Hamilton/

Ban Hamilton.

Code:

There are two really huge positive moves for PTs that I've noticed in the relatively recent past that I appreciate a whole lot as a barely active user. The first has been adding another choice to weekly PTs, which is a change I'd like to see to other sim leagues. I understand and appreciate that it can be hard to come up with good prompts, but that's part of what makes it so helpful to have a choice between two prompts in a given week. The second change has been removing the effort bonus for the mPT. The mPT is already a bit of a hassle and, in fact, I'd rather see it done away with entirely. I've always found it difficult in the SHL to keep up with all of the different tasks, a lot of which seem to pop up erratically. I'd love to see the weekly earning process simplified.

[Image: qWestSHL.gif]
[Image: cEbgUph.png][Image: pPWkZOM.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png][Image: h2OFdMh.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2021, 07:20 PM by gaby.)

1. Trivia 3 TPE
tarte Victor Helstrom

6. Grab Bag 4 TPE
A. I got to pick Hamilton here as they were the ones to actually face the 2nd best team in the league: Buffalo. Remove conferences and all that, the last 3 seasons finals would be Hamilton vs Buffalo, they are that much better than the rest of the competition. Chicago was a good test for Texas but that's pretty much it in the West.

B. This one is pretty easy to pick, it has to be to complete a rebuild. Selling assets and tanking is the easy job, the building part is quite a lot harder. We have seen many teams stuck in mediocrity as they can't reach the final step: compete. You need users commit for the long run and it's not easy to stick with losing for 5+ seasons.

C. I'll focus on the first question on this one. A renegade in my mind is a hors-la-loi who you never know what he will do next. When I first joined I thought that name fit really well with the members they had, many controversial figures. A bunch of renegades who stuck together in the forums and you better not stand in their way.

D. Two names come to mind when talking about Hamilton and Texas all time rosters : Robert Phelps and Lord Vader. Lord Vader is too easily forgotten because of Garbanzo but he was the rock for Texas back then in their dynasty years. Phelps is literally known as Mr. Steelhawk so just for that he has my vote here.

12. Milestones  3 TPE
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3119510

13. Parody 3 TPE
Many people don't know this but there was a time Buffalo was a bottom feeder year after year and Hamilton were always choking in playoffs. It's a cycle but the problem now is we're on a new sim engine. STHS allowed surprises, FHM doesn't. It's simple as that, only the best teams on paper have a chance to win which in my opinion is not a bad thing. We should see Tampa Bay and San Francisco soon in the picture as their rosters are coming to maturity. Buffalo, Texas and Chicago have older rosters and won't stay forever at the top as long as the rest of the league gets smarter and stop helping them out. It now takes longer to get better but once you are you stay at the top longer. And with the changes to the upgrade scale and salaries we're heading in the right direction for more parity.

14. Upswing 3 TPE
Pretty much all teams with a beating pulse will make the playoffs in this current format. Let's go with something more interesting and predict teams who are soon to reach the second round. New England is in the right path in the East to do so. In the West, I can see for next season San Francisco able to do so. Both teams gonna have to wait a bit more to reach the final 4 in my opinion. Now for teams to soon join the same tier as Buffalo and Hamilton I have one and it's the Tampa Bay Barracuda. I know I know, really not bias being on their farm team but I believe that opinion to be share around the rest of the league. The core of the team is built around s53-56 players and their oldest big pieces are s50s, regression won't be a factor for a while. They will be a contender for a long time and I predict they are the next team people will get bored to see in the finals season after season.

[Image: opt6vpu.jpg]

Code:
Verification Word: Spalding

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3119519

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.

a) I think Hamilton did. Just in the regular season, Hamilton is in one of the toughest divisions in the SHL. Just with Buffalo there, it makes it one of the toughest divisions in the SHL. Then you add in teams like the Wolfpack and the North Stars. Probably the most star studded division in the SHL right there. Looking at the playoffs though, they each had easy first round opponents. Their second round opponents were equal (Buffalo and Chicago) as they are both the toughest opponents in their respective conference. Personally, Baltimore is tougher than Edmonton, so Hamiltons is harder.
b) I think the turnaround is tougher. We have seen it with multiple franchises here in this league where they stay relevant for multiple seasons and for long periods of time. If you have a good core players, they never leave, and they continue to recruit top talent for you and stay relative. Then, you have some people who say they only want to play for certain teams. So the bad teams stay bad, and the good teams stay good.
c) Victor Helstrom, no clue. Your guess is as good as mine, you can convince me that he played with me once I might actually believe it. renegade is a tiktok dance, the Texas Charlie D'Amelios and Addison Rae's. A steelhawk, a fictitous bird forsure. probably in some sort of Viking video game it protected the city from enemies.
d) I do not know enough about the history of each team so I would not be able to know. The Steelhawks continue to break each others records of points in a season, they must have some good competition at practice and in their locker rooms. I feel like Texas used to be pretty good in the past so their best player is probably someone before my time.

Code:
It is definitely an issue. I think as a newcomer coming into the league, if you do your digging. you are going to tell yourself that you do not want to go play for many other teams other than the ones at the top. For myself, when I think of recreating, I think damn, If i get drafted by one of those great teams, I am set for my whole career and I can just stay there for the longest time and chase rings season after season. If it can be fixed, it should be fixed. It would be super cool to see some turn around. I would love to see a historic moment where the expansion teams face off against eachoher in the finals. It would make a serious rivalry brew for the next couple of seasons and it would increase activity across the forum. If more and more people start to think that any team can make it far and every team has a chance to make the playoffs and whatnot, I think it increases the activity across the board and its good for the community. How to fix it? I really do not know. I feel like the contract situation has already been resolved with the home town discounts and that has helped the situation a lot. But you cant force people to not go to certain teams. Its very tough.

Code:
If you try and relate the two teams, you can see that the past tough times of the Texas Renegades does look a lot like what we saw with the Tampa Bay Barracuda. They went a season winning barely games, maybe even 0 if I remember correctly. And now, they seem to have a great culture and a solid core that can cause some problems in the near future in this league. You are looking at Fiddler, Fitted, Chamberlain, Liljestrom, Cuddles, Topalo and many more, but those names are all people who have amassed over 1850 TPE going into next season. They have the firepower to go into next season and cause problems with the Hamiltons and the Buffalos of the league. They do need the sim engine on their side but that is out of your hands really. If maybe the people who do the tactics and the player builds for Hamilton and Buffalo can give some pointers to them, I think Tampa takes the league and turns it all around. We might be starting to stay that the dynasty is over for Hamilton/Buffalo.

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2021, 03:53 PM by LordBirdman.)

Code:

birb

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Biopic (150 words min.)

The movie will follow the career of Richard Hogsworth, the advisor to Sven Svenson that went on to co-GM and GM the Colorado Raptors. It will follow Richard’s ascension from backroom advisor to former Raptors GM Johnny Hamilton, helping out behind the scenes with management choices and scouting, to realizing aspirations of a front office role, making the jump to co-GM, basically doing everything as co-GM, to finally being named head GM. The theme of the movie really would be about how challenging it is to win a cup in the J. Richard Hogsworth did a lot of things well, but it was never enough to crack the code and make a deep playoff run. Richard’s Raptors teams had some great drafts and some great teams, and he never finished below .500 as a co-GM or GM. The heart break losses to underdog teams were real killers and eventually it was time for Colorado to move on from Hogsworth.

Code:

Milestones

Code:

A team that is on the right track is the San Francisco Pride. They have been rebuilding through the draft since Henrik took over as GM in S55 and now have 9 1K+ TPE players, including 7 over 1.5k TPE. The team is also close to fully active with only two players in regression. They’ve been slowly improving season over season and if they can add one or two impact players, they will be a threat to make a deep playoff run in anywhere from 1-3 seasons. The Pride are currently ranked 12th in forward TPE and 11th in defense TPE but are on the right side of growing season over season with a mostly highly earning roster. After a couple seasons of additional 150-200 TPE per player with all players above 1200 TPE and majority in the 1600 to 2000 TPE range, the team will be a cup threat. Acquiring players for picks and prospects could accelerate this timeline.

Code:
15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (100 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC if you care about that more. Will there be surprises? Will any players make their country proud? Who's gonna suck? Be bold!

My prediction is Sweden will win the Gold Medal. They have one of the most complete teams in terms of high TPE players in their prime with only a few lower 1k players rounding out the other lines. As of this writing, Sweden is second in Group B and third overall. The team play competitively and beat any other team on any given night with their high-powered offense. Sven Svenson is leading the tournament in points and is second in goals, while Jimmy Wagner is second in Assists. Sweden has come close in recent tournaments, but haven’t been able to step onto the gold medal podium – this is the season they do.

Code:
18. Written, 2 TPE, Baby come back 100 words min
If you had the power to bring back one user to the SHL, who would it be? We're talking full activity, balls to the wall. They could be a banned user, user gone inactive, or someone who's around but doesn't really fuck with SHL anymore. Pick your user and why you want them back that badly? Did you love them, or do you just want to watch the league burn?

If there is one user I could bring back to balls of the wall activity, it would be @DollaBill. He was a great user when he was around and it would be great to have him back for a number of reasons. First, he was a cool person and was really passionate about how well his player and the team performed. Before the SMJHL draft, he was a media machine. The Russian winger was poised to be a max potential scoring threat and performed to exactly that his rookie seasons. After a disappointing draft position he became disenchanted with the league and quickly disappeared. It would be great to have him back as a user and as a max earning teammate on San Francisco.

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride