Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #1 - Berserkers vs Whalers, Who Will Win the Four Star Cup?
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 08:50 AM by Opera_Phantom.)

This seasons Four Star Cup will be played between the reigning champion Newfoundland Berserker, who have won 2 Four Star Cups in their history since being founded before season 45, with their last victory coming during season 55. Meanwhile they will be facing off against an original SMJHL franchise, the Vancouver Whalers. The Whalers have won a total of 11 championships in their history with their last being won in season 56.

This season the Whalers finished as the top team in the SMJHL, recording the most wins and points of any team. They had the best goal differential in the league by 52 goals. They were lead by left winger Lev Lebedev. Lebedev lead the Whalers in points this season with 75, which was good for 3rd in the SMJHL for most points. Lebedev was their top goal scorer this season with 34 goals, but they were lead in assists by Makrus "The Tater" Jager, who finished second in all of the SMJHL in assists with 55. The best defenseman was Sven Svechnikov, a left defenseman. Svechnikov finished second on the team in takeaways, third in blocked shots and and first in defensive game rating of anyone on the Whalers. He also helped himself offensively by having 40 points and getting the second most shots on goal of anyone on the whalers. The Whalers starting goalie was Olof Kariskko. Kariskko lead the SMJHL in wins and was third best in goals allowed per game at just 2.23. He also recorded the most shutouts of anyone this season with 8 total.

Meanwhile, the Berserkers finished in third place, just one point ahead of Quebec City. The berserkers scored the fifth most goals in the SMJHL, and allowed the second least, behind only the Whalers. The Berserkers were lead by their center Robert Black. Black finished in second in the SMJHL in points and first in assists. Black would tie with left winger maxwell king for the highest offensive game rating on the Berserkers. King finished second on the team in points, and finished third on the team in power play goals. The Whalers 2 highest plus/minuses this season were both defenseman, Jannik Nordstern and Jay O'Neil, respectively. Nordstern finished first on the team in takeways, which would be vital to the success of the Berserker defense. Overall the defense of the berserkers was very strong as multiple players finished with defensive game ratings over 60. The Berserkers actually did not run one, but in fact 2 regular goalies. Jonas Johansson and Evgeni Petrov. Johansson started 31 games while Petrov started 39. Johansson had an extra win over Petrov and had a better goals allowed per game, but Petrvov came away with the higher game rating between the two.

If I had to pick a winner for the Four Star Cup, I think the choice is pretty easy. The Whalers were absolutely dominant in every aspect of the game of ice hockey this season. While the Berserkers posted a very strong defense which was the highlight of this team, the Whalers still had a better defense while scoring much more goals. My prediction will be a Vancouver victory in 5 games, and the Whalers faithful will get to celebrate a 12th Four Star Cup.

I guess I underestimated the whalers, also I didnt know the whalers were up 3-0 when I wrote this I promise

Approved!

+5 TPE @unconfident69