Create Account

SHL History for Dummies - Season 1 to 10 [20% bonus]
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 03:35 AM by High Stick King.)

SHL History for Dummies - Season 1 to 10

Parts in Series
  1. Part 1: This one
  2. Part 2: Season 11 to 20
  3. Part 3: Season 21 to 30
  4. Part 4: Season 31 to 40
  5. Part 5: Season 41 to 50
  6. Part 6: Season 51 to 60+
--------------------------------------------------

Alright, it has been made abundantly clear to me that I need to learn more about the history of the SHL. I know next to nothing about the subject, so this should be a project. I apologize to anyone who has a grasp of the history and will be watching me doggie paddle my way to the end. This article might not be the most interesting, just my way of processing the information and learning it while making fat stacks of cash.

So I figure the best way to tackle this task is to take it by decade... or rather 10 sim seasons per glance. This is going to be an over-view of the team and league. I am not going to be diving into any statistics, sorry if you are looking for a more in-depth analysis. This ain't the place. So here we go, season 1 through season 10 and the broadest of strokes.

Season 1 to 10

Season 1

League
  • The league began with 6 teams, with each playing a 40 game schedule.
Teams
  • Calgary Dragons (13-18-9) - Founded by cezar
  • Hamilton Steelhawks (15-18-7) - Founded by Mikeorfei
  • Toronto Stars (21-12-7) - Founded by jkrever
  • West Kendall Platoon (30-5-5) - Founded by Fernando
  • Winnipeg Jets (23-12-5) - Founded by Leafs4ever
  • Wisconsin Monarchs (18-16-6) - Founded by Veto, replaced by Mabz & Smzza
Winners
  • Cup: Winnipeg Jets
  • MVP: Alex Reay of West Kendall
  • Goalie: Fernando Garcia of West Kendall
  • Defender: JJ Krever of Toronto
Overview
  • A solid start to the league. Winnipeg getting bragging rights with the first cup win of the SHL.

Season 2

League
  • The second season saw the league grow by 2 teams with expansion, giving the league 8 total teams and one team having a slight re-branding from Toronto Stars to Toronto North Stars.
Teams
  • Calgary Dragons (20-17-3) - Founder cezar is replaced by NathanAD partway through season 2
  • Edmonton Comets (29-8-3) - Founded by McDonald
  • Hamilton Steelhawks (13-17-10) - Founder Mikeorfei is replaced by Daco
  • Manhattan Rage (14-24-2) - Founded by Spangle
  • Toronto North Stars (20-20-0) - jkrever re-branded the team from the Stars to the North Stars
  • West Kendall Platoon (30-6-4)
  • Winnipeg Jets (22-13-5)
  • Wisconsin Monarchs (12-24-4)
Winners
  • Cup: West Kendall Platoon
  • MVP: Sarmad Khan of West Kendall
  • Goalie: Mike Honcho of Edmonton
  • Defender: Mikey Broomfield of Edmonton
Overview
  • The Platoon got their revenge after failing in season one despite the best record. Expansion Edmonton came into the league hot while the other expansion Rage, struggled to get wins. A couple of GM changes which is expected from a new league.

Season 3

League
  • The third season saw the first re-location of a franchise with the Wisconsin Monarchs moving across the continent and out of the country to Canada with the Vancouver Ice Wolves.
Teams
  • Calgary Dragons (18-17-5)
  • Edmonton Comets (28-6-6)
  • Hamilton Steelhawks (15-21-4) - Daco is joined by Bolt/Theo as GM
  • Manhattan Rage (22-9-9)
  • Toronto North Stars (16-23-1)
  • West Kendall Platoon (28-7-5)
  • Winnipeg Jets (18-14-8)
  • Vancouver Ice Wolves (15-17-8) - Mabz & Smzza are replaced by funny_munk and Leafs4Stanley who relocate the Wisconsin Monarchs to Vancouver
Winners
  • Cup: Edmonton Comets
  • MVP: Ron Mexico of Winnipeg
  • Defender: Damian Littleton of Winnipeg
Overview
  • Second year team Edmonton Comets take the cup. A lot more parity in the league this season with teams bunched up in the standings. Mike Hocho returns as the best goalie for the 2nd consecutive season.

Season 4

League
  • Season four brought a bit of stability to the league with no new or re-located teams.
Teams
  • Calgary Dragons (13-23-4)
  • Edmonton Comets (34-2-4)
  • Hamilton Steelhawks (18-13-9) - Daco is now gone as GM with Secord joining Bolt/Theo
  • Manhattan Rage (21-16-3)
  • Toronto North Stars (18-18-4)
  • West Kendall Platoon (20-15-5) - Brandon takes over from founder Fernando
  • Winnipeg Jets (19-19-2)
  • Vancouver Ice Wolves (17-16-7) - funny_munk is no longer a GM and leaves Leafs4Stanley as sole GM
Winners
  • Cup: Edmonton Comets
  • MVP: Sergei Karpotsov of Edmonton
  • Defender: Jardy Bunclewirth of Manhattan
Overview
  • The hot Edmonton Comets team continue their dominance as they become the first team to repeat as champions. Mike Honcho wins for the 3rd time in a row as the best goaltender establishing himself as the best at his position to beat.

Season 5

League
  • The league expanded by two more teams once again with the additions of the Los Angeles Panthers and the Minnesota Chiefs. With his expansion also came a longer season schedule going from 40 games played to 44 for all teams.
Teams
  • Calgary Dragons (21-15-8)
  • Edmonton Comets (26-12-6)
  • Hamilton Steelhawks (28-12-4) - Raymond now takes over for Secord as GM
  • Los Angeles Panthers (13-24-7) - Founded by Deener
  • Manhattan Rage (24-16-4)
  • Minnesota Chiefs (8-32-4) - Founded by Boon
  • Toronto North Stars (22-13-9)
  • West Kendall Platoon (32-7-5) - After a season absence, Fernando returns to join Brandon in GM duties
  • Winnipeg Jets (24-15-5)
  • Vancouver Ice Wolves (22-14-8)
Winners
  • Cup: West Kendall Platoon
  • Goalie: Fernando Garcia of West Kendall
  • Defender: Scott Stevens of Hamilton
Overview
  • The league is growing rapidly and is now up to 10 teams. West Kendall Platoon are back as a powerhouse and joined Edmonton as a repeat cup winner. Mike Honcho is finally defeated as the best goaltender by Fernando Garcia. With the exception of the West Kendall Platoon and the Minnesota Chiefs (for opposite reasons) the was a lot of competition this season.

Season 6

League
  • The league remains at 10 teams but expands the amount of games played by each team from 44 to 60. There is also a re-branding of the Vancouver franchise from the Ice Wolves to the Nightmare.
Teams
  • Calgary Dragons (31-24-5)
  • Edmonton Comets (25-27-8) - Seth joins McDonald as GM
  • Hamilton Steelhawks (28-25-7)
  • Los Angeles Panthers (28-17-5)
  • Manhattan Rage (29-24-7) - diamond_ace takes over from founder Spangle
  • Minnesota Chiefs (29-24-7)
  • Toronto North Stars (29-26-5)
  • West Kendall Platoon (31-24-5) - Original founder Fernando is now the only GM of the team as Brandon is no longer listed
  • Winnipeg Jets (25-21-14)
  • Vancouver Nightmare (35-19-6) - MacDaddy takes over the reigns from Leafs4Stanley and rebrands the team Nightmare from Ice Wolves
Winners
  • Cup: Los Angeles Panthers
  • Goalie: John McBride of Winnipeg
  • Defender: Erik Chisling of Manhattan
Overview
  • Much like the Edmonton Comets, the Los Angeles Panthers went from an expansion team to champion by their second season in the league. Edmonton Comets are starting to return to earth with a sub .500 record. Ron Mexico takes his 3rd MVP trophy (named after him for a reason right?) and John McBride wins his first namesake trophy.

Season 7

League
  • The league dialed the amount of games back from 60 the previous season to 50 this season.
Teams
  • Calgary Dragons (26-20-4)
  • Edmonton Comets (13-29-8) - Seth remains as sole GM as McDonald leaves
  • Hamilton Steelhawks (26-20-4)
  • Los Angeles Panthers (25-19-6) - Founder Deener is joined in GM duties by JayTee and Munk
  • Manhattan Rage (31-14-5)
  • Minnesota Chiefs (24-20-6)
  • Toronto North Stars (33-13-4)
  • West Kendall Platoon (22-22-6) - Dylan takes over from founder and re-returned Fernando
  • Winnipeg Jets (25-19-8)
  • Vancouver Nightmare (25-21-4) - MacDaddy is joined by Shutout and James_M as GM
Winners
  • Cup: Winnipeg Jets
  • MVP: Brodie Witzel of Minnesota
  • Defender: Erik Chisling of Manhattan
Overview
  • This is the longest point of stability so far for the league with all of the teams remaining the same for several seasons now. The parity is really good with no team running away with anything and no team getting booted. The Winnipeg Jets finally get their 2nd cup after being the winner of the very first season. Erik Chisling becomes the first defender to win twice and does so in a row and John McBride returns as best goalie.

Season 8

League
  • The often moved re-branded, once again, moves and re-brands. The Wisconsin Monarchs, Vancouver Ice Wolves, Vancouver Nightmare are now the Las Vegas Kings.
Teams
  • Calgary Dragons (25-20-5) - xDPark takes over from NathanAD
  • Edmonton Comets (23-25-2)
  • Hamilton Steelhawks (26-21-3)
  • Las Vegas Kings (28-17-5) - MacDaddy, and James_M not returning as GM, Shutout and Duey takes over and does a complete re-location and re-branding from Vancouver Nightmare to Las Vegas Kings
  • Los Angeles Panthers (21-20-9) - Deener, JayTee, and Munk are replaced by Checkmate as GM
  • Manhattan Rage (17-23-10)
  • Minnesota Chiefs (30-16-4)
  • Toronto North Stars (26-20-0)
  • West Kendall Platoon (33-14-3)
  • Winnipeg Jets (21-20-9)
Winners
  • Cup: Calgary Dragons
  • MVP: Charlie Chiclets of Las Vegas
  • Goalie: Ryan Jesster of Calgary
  • Defender: Scott Stevens of West Kendall
Overview
  • Calgary Dragons win their first ever championship and the league looks to be pretty healthy from the narrow view. Scott Stevens wins his second best defender trophy (named after him).

Season 9

League
  • The league remained the same from the previous season. Still playing 50 games and have 10 teams with no re-locations occurring.
Teams
  • Calgary Dragons (34-16-0)
  • Edmonton Comets (14-31-5)
  • Hamilton Steelhawks (27-16-7) - Stud and Jorec replace Raymond as GM
  • Las Vegas Kings (31-18-1)
  • Los Angeles Panthers (21-21-8)
  • Manhattan Rage (8-38-4)
  • Minnesota Chiefs (28-20-2) - JumpierPegasus replaces founder Boon as GM
  • Toronto North Stars (18-27-5)
  • West Kendall Platoon (37-12-1) - JayTee (the first to GM 2 different teams -- Los Angeles Panthers S7) takes over GM from Dylan
  • Winnipeg Jets (32-14-4)
    - edit: revised thanks to post by Leafs4ever
Winners
  • Cup: Calgary Dragons
  • Defender: Jason Due of Las Vegas
Overview
  • The Calgary Dragons repeat as champions. Only the second team to win back to back, rival Edmonton Comets being the first to do so. Manhattan Rage had a season to forget with only 8 wins. Ron Mexico wins his 4th and final MVP trophy. While John McBride has many more to go winning his 3rd trophy as best goaltender.

Season 10

League
  • Season 10 was ushered in with an expansion of two more teams bringing the total now to 12. The two new teams were the Texas Renegades and the Hartford Hydras. Jesster was originally going to be the expansion founder for the Buffalo Thunder but opted to go with Calgary. Buffalo Thunder became the Hartford Hydras instead before playing any games. Bob's your uncle.
    - edit: revised thanks to post by luketd
    - edit #2: revised thanks to post by OrbitingDeath
Teams
  • Calgary Dragons (41-7-2) - Jesster replaces xDPark as GM
  • Edmonton Comets (12-31-7)
  • Hamilton Steelhawks (40-7-3) - Jorec remains as the only GM as Stud is no longer GM
  • Hartford Hydra (5-44-1) - Founded by Fernando
  • Las Vegas Kings (29-17-4)
  • Los Angeles Panthers (23-22-5) - Dooley takes over from Checkmate
  • Manhattan Rage (11-37-2)
  • Minnesota Chiefs (31-15-4) - Founder Boon returns as GM after one season hiatus taking over for JumpierPegasus
  • Texas Renegades (21-20-9) - Founded by Wadey
  • Toronto North Stars (27-17-6)
  • West Kendall Platoon (30-18-2)
  • Winnipeg Jets (30-14-6)
Winners
  • Cup: Minnesota Chiefs
  • MVP: Robert Spezza of Toronto
  • Defender: Jed Mosley of West Kendall
Overview
  • The season had the Minnesota Chiefs winning their first ever championship. Some teams struggled quite a bit, especially the expansion team Hartford Hydras who only managed to squeak out 5 wins. As far as individual awards go, McBride is right in his golden era capturing the award for best goalie for the 4th time.

Season 1 to 10 Overview

So there we have it. After going through the first ten seasons, the league doubled in size from 6 teams to 12. There were a few re-locations and another couple re-branding, one team being more responsible than the others (looking at you Wisconsin Vancouver Las Vegas). Games played fluctuated between 40, 44, 50, and even 60 games per season. In the end, games got played, seasons completed, and the league grew. Pretty successful period judging from the distant glance taken here.

[ 2,572 words ]

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

I didn’t read it all but I will

Tampa Bay Hydra (5-44-1) - Founded by Fernando. Jesster is also listed but I assume he changed his mind and went to Calgary to GM them instead, not sure

Jester got the expansion team, named it the Buffalo thunder. Then decided he didn’t want it so went back tonCGY. Fernando took over and moved them to Tampa

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

10-08-2021, 07:41 AMluketd Wrote: I didn’t read it all but I will

Tampa Bay Hydra (5-44-1) - Founded by Fernando. Jesster is also listed but I assume he changed his mind and went to Calgary to GM them instead, not sure

Jester got the expansion team, named it the Buffalo thunder. Then decided he didn’t want it so went back tonCGY. Fernando took over and moved them to Tampa

Ah OK, I saw the Buffalo Thunder team name listed as an alternate name for one of the teams but haven't come across it anywhere else and was wondering what happened to it. Thanks, I'll update the article.

Before the Hydras played a single game in Tampa, they were already moved to Hartford iirc.

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

Wowza this is excellent!

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

10-08-2021, 10:21 AMOrbitingDeath Wrote: Before the Hydras played a single game in Tampa, they were already moved to Hartford iirc.
I am doing the next decade and Tampa relocated to Hartford in season 11 and then moved from there to New England Wolfpack in season 13.

10-08-2021, 10:32 AMHigh Stick King Wrote:
10-08-2021, 10:21 AMOrbitingDeath Wrote: Before the Hydras played a single game in Tampa, they were already moved to Hartford iirc.
I am doing the next decade and Tampa relocated to Hartford in season 11 and then moved from there to New England Wolfpack in season 13.

Just to update this point. OD was correct, the tool I was using to look up the team locations had an error. The New England Wolfpack (as the Hydra) played in Hartford for S10 and not Tampa Bay. I will update the article to reflect that.

Thanks again OD for looking that up for me.

Ooo wow.
++1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Just getting to this now, on Season 9 you wrote that JayTee took over Winnipeg. You have him beside the wrong team, he did not take over for me.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
15-6-0
Regular Season - [G 2] [A 3] [Pts 5] [+/- +6] [PIM 10] [Hits 12] [SB 38]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

10-13-2021, 11:31 PMLeafs4ever Wrote: Just getting to this now, on Season 9 you wrote that JayTee took over Winnipeg. You have him beside the wrong team, he did not take over for me.

You are right (obviously), that one was a typo on my part. I updated it to reflect the proper team now. Thank you.