Create Account

By-Tor's S63 Prospect Review [2x Media]
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2021, 03:50 PM by By-Tor.)

Outlaws Armada Kraken Raptors Falcons Grizzlies Knights Timber Battleborn Berserkers Citadelles Elk Scarecrows Whalers

By-Tor's S63 SMJHL Prospect Preview
Presented by St. Louis Soda

Welcome to this year's preview! We will be taking a look at which prospects are worth a second look and which may fizzle out by season's end. As inevitably as other years, I can't wait to be proven wrong! This class is smaller than past classes (so far), and with 14 teams now populating the junior level, there will be less talent to spread around. Teams won't be getting four+ great prospects like last season's reddit draft! Super vigilance is required to pick out them gems, and I'm here to help. 

For S63, we have a few top tier recreates as well as some promising young newbies. I expect a few more veterans may recreate just before the draft once they realize their current players are trash. This will be a tiered review: players with the most promise at the top and so on. I have cooled on the idea of listing out "1,2,3..." ranked prospects because of the volatile nature of newly created players. So many times we have a great prospect that ends up fizzling out by mid season because they can't make money or their heart just isn't in it. It's my goal to say who those players may be. One last thing to remember: this is a junior draft, so all you really need is for these players to be active and to reach 425 TPE quickly. 

So, without further ado, here are the prospects of S63: 

TIER 1: The Sure Things

If one thing is a surefire hit in the SMJHL draft, it's active, SHL invested, all-star recreates. 
Ergo Nomic
[Image: gettyimages-656949516-2000.jpg]
Position: Left Defense
User: BadWolf
Bank: $70m+
It's never a bad thing to have the Commish on your side. BadWolf has been around a few years, and I think it would be hard to find anyone with something negative to say (If you do, you're banned.) Having spent time in the J HO, I can say myself that BadWolf is a wonderful user and any junior team would be happy to have her. Ergo Nomic is only BadWolf's second player, after Mika Mayfield, a S45 creation. Mayfield maxed out at 1734 TPE, a solid earner. As for Ergo Nomic, I am sure they will be capped as quickly as possible. Not only that, they play defense (the best position). Not only is Ergo Nomic a sure-thing, they are sure to have a straight back throughout their career.
Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson
[Image: GettyImages_1147405522.0.jpg]
Position: Center
User: sköldpaddor
Bank: $148m+
Another beloved user, skoldpaddor (Jess) is here to stay. A premiere graphics expert, this user has one of the top banks in the league due to their fantastic sigs. Unfortunately for all you other junior teams, skoldpaddor is the Co-GM of the Nevada Battleborn, so this will be a deferred pick. Nevada will be gaining a great player under their current Co-GM - sure to have a great J career. Not only is this recreation great news for NBB, but also WJC Sweden - where skoldpaddor is a staple of the national team.
San-sam Emerson
[Image: david-pastrnak-in-may-2021-photo-faceboo...-kxdrd.jpg]
User: Thelastheraclid
Bank: $48m+
Thelastheraclid's last player, Nat Emerson, ended up peaking at 1688 TPE, so consistency will not be an issue. Commitment won't be an issue either because a quick look through their bank shows an unending stream of 600k Twitter claims. I don't know thelastheraclid personally, but we did share a fantasy group one time and I think they know their stuff? I see no hurdles for San-sam Emerson in their junior career. With a large bank, a consistent user, and a legacy to follow up on, I project nothing but great things. This combination earns a sure-thing rating. 
Tim Riggins
[Image: 1202856307.jpeg]
Position: Right Wing
User: Jearim
Bank: $22m+
Honestly, the only question is: can Jearim actually do this? Not be a goalie??? It's Jearim's third player in the SHL, but the first to come out of the crease. Both previous players were awesome and I expect no less from this active user. Jearim was recently a GM, and that always bodes well for recreate players. I fully expect this player to be one of the best in the class and someone that gets picked early. A sure-thing? Yeah, I'd say so. 
TIER 2: The Comeback Kids
This tier contains a few players that I just can't bring myself to put in tier 1 due to recent inactivity. They are a collection of decade-ers, but for some reason or another, have a question mark next to their name. They may turn into excellent players, but a sure-thing? Only time will tell.
Chris McZehrl Jr. 
[Image: kopitar-dotcom.jpg]
User: Chris-McZehrl
Bank: $24m+
User Chris-McZehrl is a 6-time cup champion, two-time hall-of-famer, and all-around SHL boss. This user has been around for almost a decade up until they left a few seasons ago. I have no doubt that the player Chris McZehrl Jr. can be a star in this league and potential Hall-of-Famer, but there are still lingering question marks. I am in no place to judge whether they will be back for the long run, but whenever someone comes back from a "very last message on this site," there are definitely fair-game questions about future commitment. This is a big time boom or bust wildcard. 
Rand al'Thor
[Image: 049e9d0af60258ac840784dc68e8c4a7_md.jpg]
User: HabsFanFromOntario
Bank: $19m+
This user returns from a two year hiatus after being active for over eight years. A quick look through history shows this user has GM'd teams and had a handful of players. I'm too new to know how they fit in the league dynamic, but a few players seemed to happily welcome their return. Here's what I see: I see a user that recreates players every few seasons. I suspect they are a sizeable locker room force based on what I can piece together, which may offset their player turnover. Again, the juniors need to only hold a player for a few seasons, so it could be a match made in heaven. Just too much of a wildcard for me to say sure-thing. 
Ivan Lacksamus
[Image: t-j-oshie.JPG]
User: theifofcheese
Bank: $18m+
I've had the slightest of interactions with this user in the Switzerland LR, and they seem like a legitimately great user. They have a good player build for this iteration and seem to be into it with their most recent cheese post. There's just always a question mark next to users that leave for a year. Ivan Maximus, their previous player was on a good earning pace and there is little reason to think they can't do it again. But not a sure-thing. (I for one, am happy to have them on the Swiss national team.)
Sisyphus Embros
[Image: Hockey-markus-spiske-unsplash-scaled.jpg]
User: SabresFan
Bank: $35m+
This is another user coming back from an extended vacation. From what I can gather, SabresFan seems to be a generally liked user, capable of coming back in force. They seem to have a knack for media pieces, which should keep their player afloat if they do end up sticking around long term again. A completely acceptable recreate that can help out any team. We just need to wait and see if they decide if it was the right move coming back. It's been almost 5 whole years since they were on site. 
Konstantin Strelka
[Image: Giorgio_De_Bettin-650x381.jpg]
User: bbp
Bank: $23m+
I'm torn over this player. The user, bbp, has been active and committed to this league even when their previous player went unsigned. Their previous player, Niccolo Livius, we a bona-fide enforcer that few teams seem to have wanted. This shows me that with their new player, they are committed to building the right way (not an enforcer) and have the grit to make it far. On the other hand, the recent failure of Livius may have rubbed the user the wrong way or even rubbed potential GMs the wrong way. Honestly, I just don't know what happens with this player. I hope they prove me wrong and become an All-Star. 
Jack Cuff
[Image: 1573142389_ap_jack_hughes_usa_hockey_instory.jpg]
Position: Left Wing
User: Cuffy
Bank: $11m+
The SHL is a place to have fun. But man, it should also be a place to create successful sim players. This user doesn't have the best track record with players and I saw a few "yikes" posts when scrolling back. A saving grace though is that this user has held management positions on the site and has been very active in the past. That, to me, leads to having a player that may get picked by long-time users that know the value of this guy. I know I don't know this user personally, and that is why I want them to 100% prove me wrong. Go out there and be the best. I just have no idea where you would slot.
Tier 3: The First Gen Gems
There's really only two first gen players right now who have any possibility of making it to the big leagues. And one of them is almost IA.
Bilbo Baggins
[Image: Bilbobaggins.jpg]
User: Jester John
Bank: $7m+
They have been on the Rodcast a few times now, constituting all of their voluntary money gained. I'll be honest, I didn't listen to it (sorry benpachi), so I don't have a great feel on what they are thinking for the future. Despite my lack of knowledge, it speaks volumes about a new user when they appear on a podcast within the first few weeks of creation. It's been 10 days since they logged on, which is major cause for concern, but since it is the offseason, it is forgivable if they return. I'll be sad if they go IA. They are only a gem because of the potential for a return. 
Lesgo Brandon
[Image: usa_today_9776522.0.jpg]
Position: Left Wing
User: Dhoop
Bank: $1.7m+
User Dhoop just posted a great media piece today, opening the door to becoming the best first gen earner. Their bank total was lacking coming into the draft, but the 2x media will help shore up their account nicely. The player build is extremely offensively minded, with very little skill points towards defense. Overall, this could be the user to end up watching with interest. With many of the other players and users, you kind of know what to expect. This player has my "pick them" tag. 
Tier 4: Traditional Recreates
This tier includes your traditional recreates that aren't necessarily sure things, but aren't totally IA either. 
Bodhi Utah
[Image: w640xh480_GettyImages-1125945726.jpg?ts=1602198305]
User: Leoben
Bank: $14m+
The only reason this player isn't in "sure-things" is the temporary hiatus they took between S60 and now. Leoben hasn't been active the entire time through recreation, which merits a ding on the draft profile. They seem to be an extremely well iked player and a great SHL user, so I don't see any problems there. I do not know them and have never spoken to them, but commitment is always the biggest question mark in these leagues. When you take time off, even if you are great, it is a negative mark on the resume. 
Devin Williams II
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXjRkLTWHHM5e0Y-2XZnM...w&usqp=CAU]
User: MrRuihu
Bank: $7m+
I was a big fan of Gerry Atrick and was sad to see him retire. As for the future, I think Devin Williams II has a great chance to be a top SMJHL player. There is the issue of recreating after juniors, but that is more of an SHL problem than an SMJHL problem. Skipped on round one of my fantasy group isn't a good sign. I don't know, I think this is a pretty good user and player, but not enough to be put in the same category as BadWolf and company. (See what I did there??)
Rolf Korhonen
[Image: SB5Ylg8yMLeigfnpmH-PmTLNddfBt5x5Pb8EgbNm...5_4kRuXUCd]
Position: Right Defense
User: WildfireMicro
Bank: $22m+
WildfireMicro was the SMJHL HO Intern before me, and helped me get situated to the role. A genuinely great user, they are coming back to get a second crack at the league. Other time commitments may have taken too much away from their previous player, so they want to get back in with maximum potential. They seem to be a SMJHL lifer (at least based on the past), so this pickup may work out for teams looking to retain players for multiple years. This is a sneaky good pick. 
Drakocarr Sunazzo
[Image: 2021_2_9UConnMHOCvsUMassLowellRiverhawks078.jpg]
User: Vik
Bank: $19m+
I know Vik from St. Louis and they are a great user. Their last player was S62, so a quick turnaround on the new player. Citing their retirement post, they weren't all-in on their last player and needed to shake it up. I like the defensive-defender build, and it should be a good addition for any SMJHL team. 
Brent Ashe II
[Image: BNG-L-SHARKS-0330-29.jpg]
User: Nhlbeastmode_7777
Bank: $9m+
Brent Ashe the first was with me for a few seasons in St. Louis. I also GMd him in WJC North America. The user had a few problems he had to take care of irl, so his first player creation suffered. I assume he is back with a vengeance and ready to take the league by storm. I personally love the 155 build he has going and look forward to seeing this player on the ice. This is a candidate for great SMJHL longevity based on the last player. 
Dexter Kirk
[Image: GettyImages-92915658.jpg]
User: Neadex
Bank: $4m+
This is another one of the few traditional IA-to-recreate players in this draft. Neadex had a player a few seasons ago that didn't pan out and they are back for more action. All I can say is keep it up and make sure you keep making money! I feel like this player could stick. 
LaCarpetron Dukemarriot II
[Image: 35f531bb6f51eb50e09c25139ce10d8fbd017d43.jpg]
User: Dukemarriot
Bank: $300k
This situation is almost the exact same as the player before. Unkempt had a player a few seasons ago, didn't stick around, and now they are back for more. The only difference is this player has a lot less money to their name. Keep earning, man!
Tier 5: The Others/Prove Me Wrong
These players have been technically active, but either have no money or haven't been on site that much. I still believe in them and want them to succeed, but all signs point to "not likely."
Pertti Samulio - C - Jalakset
Marsels Antilope - G - miracuda
Evert Jansson - G - Sergeantens
Brain Brettski - C - fetchwell
Drew Ekstrom - RD - DrewEkstrum
Tier 6: The IAs
Mateo Lavoie - Glenndalf
Ulyana Mironova - patmakesart
ben Moinet - bens
Bobby Taylor - Cannuk06
CJ Broussard - CJTheM16
GREY Rosey - BleedBlue52
Pinger Dinger - Pingu
You're welcome to all the SMJHL GMs that read through posts like these instead of scout lolol
And Good Luck to everyone!
(2,400 WC)
Outlaws Armada Kraken Raptors Falcons Grizzlies Knights Timber Battleborn Berserkers Citadelles Elk Scarecrows  Whalers

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

Holy shit that's a write up

[Image: livius.gif]

+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

i'm in this and i like it

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

10-26-2021, 01:50 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: i'm in this and i like it
You're in this and I like it too Smile

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Really? I think this one deserves 4X Tongue. It's pretty accurate and accentuates the positive. I'll take more of that.

[Image: embros.png]

[Image: ddIlIkT.png]  [Image: qzGJBye.png]
Player Render by Merica

Excellent write-up. Fair assessment on Utah. Had motivational issues during regression and was in the middle of a personal crisis at the start of Kubinec’s career. Can’t argue with that placing!

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

10-26-2021, 03:50 PMLeoben Wrote: Excellent write-up.  Fair assessment on Utah.  Had motivational issues during regression and was in the middle of a personal crisis at the start of Kubinec’s career.  Can’t argue with that placing!

Thanks! It's always difficult to judge others' motivation levels. Just trying to call it like I see it!

Good write-up, but I am NOT a lifer. just left before I was called up

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

10-26-2021, 03:57 PMWildfireMicro Wrote: Good write-up, but I am NOT a lifer. just left before I was called up

The underlying theme in the article is definitely "Prove me wrong." I did spend time on your player and wasn't sure how to judge your guy. Honestly, if there is one I wasn't 100% sold on my analysis, it was your player. Sorry for the hard knocks.

10-26-2021, 04:04 PMBy-Tor Wrote:
10-26-2021, 03:57 PMWildfireMicro Wrote: Good write-up, but I am NOT a lifer. just left before I was called up

The underlying theme in the article is definitely "Prove me wrong." I did spend time on your player and wasn't sure how to judge your guy. Honestly, if there is one I wasn't 100% sold on my analysis, it was your player. Sorry for the hard knocks.
Don't feel bad. I do need to prove people wrong

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

@By-Tor thank you for the kind words man. Hope I can live up to them

[Image: 54855_s.gif]

Knights ||  Patriotes

Whalers|| Renegades ||  Patriotes ||  Finland

Renegades ||Militia ||Canada  

[Image: jearim.gif]