Create Account

SHL Class of S62 GCoolFactor Rankings *NEW FORMULA*

I've revamped GCoolFactor a little bit, and I think this will be the long-lasting institution that I hoped it would be. I managed to write a small script in R that can handle this for me with just a few short clicks / downloads of mid-season CSVs. So expect a little more out of this series when I can get that together! With this weekend being a busy one for me (thanks, 6-month-old baby), I can't go into as much detail as previous seasons with the explanations of certain players' GCoolFactor. But I'd at least like to explain the new and improved formula and then post the top 20 of this ridiculously stacked S62 class.

First, a disclaimer: I'm a professional statistician. These numbers mean next to nothing. I just think that, in some sort of roundabout way, this is how I'd like to "measure" (VERY loose usage of that word, here) who should be talked about. That's what a Cool Factor should be interpreted as, whether it's a GCoolFactor or literally any other kind of Cool Factor. It's going to take a few seasons before we can truly see what a GOOD GCoolFactor score is with this new set of metrics, but I'd say anything positive is good. That means there should be some media about you, whether it's your own or a mention in another media outlet's power rankings. If your GCF is 5 or above, then, wow. You're doing something right and standing out. If it's just slightly negative, you might still be doing just fine, especially in this class chock full of overachievers. Keep your chin up! There's no shame in being a depth piece.

I'm going to use two different terms in describing the GCF formula: normalization and standardization. These are often mixed up, and they're often used interchangeably in different circles. So I'll explain what they mean:

Standardization is a calculation of a z-score. The z-score of a value x in a distribution is:

(x - mean(x) ) / std(x)

In words, that's how many standard deviations away from the mean your value is. If I scored 10 goals on the season, and the average number of goals scored is 5 and the standard deviation of goals scored is 2.5, I have a z-score (or standardized goal total of (10 - 5) / 2.5 = 2. That's a very good score; being two full standard deviations above the mean is difficult to do!

Normalization is a calculation of a proportion next to the maximum value of a distribution:

x / max(x).

So if I scored 10 goals on the season, and the leading scorer in the league scored 20, my normalized goal total would be 10/20 = 0.5.

Make sense? No? Ah, who the fuck cares. Now for the GCoolFactor formula.

GCoolFactor (GCF) = ( s + i + c + k ) * A + (n + i + c + e) * B

Where

s = standardized overall game rating
i = standardized TPE
c = standardized fantasy point total
k = standardized special game rating*
n = standardized takeaway/giveaway ratio
e = standardized special points / total points ratio
A = normalized time on ice per game
B = 1 + 1 / team's final standing**

*Your better value, whether it was OGR or DGR, was compared against other players whose better value was also OGR or DGR. If the two were tied, you were defaulted to your position (forwards default to OGR, defenders to DGR).
**So if your team finished first, B = (1 + 1/1) = 2. If your team finished 14th, B = (1 + 1/14) = 1.071429.

You'll notice that i and c are in both "sides" of this formula. That's because I think the two things that are talked about the most - and are foremost associated with both A and B - are TPE and fantasy production. It also helps that this makes it both "sick" and "nice".

S62 GCoolFactor Rankings
1. Christian Kinsinger - D Knights GCF = 8.862
2. Dirty Boots - D Falcons GCF = 8.515
3. Mikko Rashford - D Battleborn GCF = 7.927
4. Vasily Arkhangelsky - D Falcons GCF = 7.700
5. Akashi SixNine Jr - F Falcons GCF = 7.156
6. Aksel Fiske - F Citadelles GCF = 6.629
7. Borje Samuelsson - D Outlaws GCF = 6.614
8. Jaeger Jones - F Elk GCF = 5.811
9. Finn McNast - D Elk GCF = 5.538
10. Spack Jarrow - F Armada GCF = 5.271
11. Sconnie McHits - F Outlaws GCF = 5.154
12. Jacque Lilcoque - D Grizzlies GCF = 4.874
13. Theo Berglund - D Elk GCF = 4.730
14. Velky Muz - D Timber GCF = 4.370
15. Oskar Von Walther - F Falcons GCF = 4.279
16. Jesper Aittokallio - F Timber GCF = 4.188
17. Cup Noodle - D Armada GCF = 3.940
18. Connor O'Byrne - F Outlaws GCF = 3.705
19. Shoyo Hinata - F Raptors GCF = 3.346
20. Vadim Askerov - D Grizzlies GCF = 3.330

That's the top 20! Enjoy discussing / complaining about how arbitrary this is. Smile

Where's Lyle Odelein III

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

10-23-2021, 12:07 AMSlashACM Wrote: Where's Lyle Odelein III

Permanently at 69 GCF, which is a guaranteed first overall draft pick in 99% of fantasy leagues

10-23-2021, 12:10 AMGCool Wrote:
10-23-2021, 12:07 AMSlashACM Wrote: Where's Lyle Odelein III

Permanently at 69 GCF, which is a guaranteed first overall draft pick in 99% of fantasy leagues

I'm not an analytics guy but it sounds like he passes the I-test

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO let's go Anaheim

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 12:47 AM by brickwall35.)

Are goalies not factored, or just none happen to be in top 20?

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

10-23-2021, 12:47 AMbrickwall35 Wrote: Are goalies not factored, or just none happen to be in top 20?

Due to the use of game ratings and fantasy production, goalies are not featured. But maybe I could think of something for next season.

This brought back nightmares from stats class. But hey! My boy Aksel is pretty sick and pretty nice let’s goooo

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

i like the GCool Factor

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 12:30 PM by Redderder15.)

rip Jeff S61-S62

EDIT: Why does it show Rashford on NBB? He's on NL

Links: Updates | Player Page | Bank

I did good?

Great work on this rating system. Love seeing new ways to rank prospects.

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

10-23-2021, 12:30 PMRedderder15 Wrote: rip Jeff S61-S62

EDIT: Why does it show Rashford on NBB? He's on NL

Oops! Typo by me. Sorry

glad to be gcool certified

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2021, 04:42 PM by Durden.)

You must wanna fight, eh @GCool ?

Last time I watch your BYB streams.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**