Create Account

IIHF Declaration Change
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2021, 12:57 AM by Durden.)

I already spoke to roastpuff about this, but figured I should put it on-site as well.

IIHF needs a change to the initial player location designation. I'm only talking about this in regards to players that create in locations that DO NOT have an international team.

For instance. I am Frederico Von Schnicktenburg. I'm Danish. Well, there's no Danish team, so I'm "unassigned".

If I choose to join ANY team, I must give up my one and only "free country transfer".

If someone creates their player from the USA and doesn't like it, they have permission to leave using that "free country transfer". They get a declaration of country AND a transfer.

People who play a character are punished by this silliness. I want my player to be Danish, but have to use the one transfer to declare for a team, rather than get a REAL TRANSFER.

If I'm unclear, please let me know so I can try to better explain myself.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

I support this.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

Seems fair

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

We should have team unassigned so you can play while you wait

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2021, 01:00 AM by brickwall35.)

Some potential solutions/changes

IIHF representation should be chosen after rookie season.

Players still have one transfer option after this designation.

Transfer window should be extended to after first IIHF
tournament played.

WJC play wouldn't affect IIHF eligibility.

Don't unassigned go to team world in wjc

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

Oh I get what you're saying, and that's a good point.

The insider information that the assigned transferee gets and the unassigned transferee doesn't get is a disadvantage.

To give context on why we even have a lock-in rule, it was due to a player transferring to a nation and then deciding the same day that they'd rather transfer to a separate nation, so perhaps there's a way we can give roster security but also allow for unassigned transfers to not be so blind when transferring?

10-28-2021, 12:59 AMbrickwall35 Wrote: IIHF representation should be chosen after rookie season.

I have no issue or comments for most of your suggestions, these two I just wanted to address.

Your first has long been suggested and was strongly supported by some fed heads when I was IIHF commish. I never liked the idea of it, as I felt it (and forgive for using this word, I just can't think of the proper one at the moment) gamified the act of choosing a nation at creation, as my desire, and the desire of the HO at the time, was to leave the national selection process as unaffected and as natural as possible. For whatever reason having a delayed selection doesn't sit right with me in that regards. The only functional complaint on that point that I've heard is that smaller teams, who may need inactive representation would lose out on those key players and may not be able to ice a team.

On the second: it's my understanding that WJC does not affect IIHF eligibility.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

10-28-2021, 10:57 AMartermis Wrote: Oh I get what you're saying, and that's a good point.

The insider information that the assigned transferee gets and the unassigned transferee doesn't get is a disadvantage.

To give context on why we even have a lock-in rule, it was due to a player transferring to a nation and then deciding the same day that they'd rather transfer to a separate nation, so perhaps there's a way we can give roster security but also allow for unassigned transfers to not be so blind when transferring?

10-28-2021, 12:59 AMbrickwall35 Wrote: IIHF representation should be chosen after rookie season.

I have no issue or comments for most of your suggestions, these two I just wanted to address.

Your first has long been suggested and was strongly supported by some fed heads when I was IIHF commish. I never liked the idea of it, as I felt it (and forgive for using this word, I just can't think of the proper one at the moment) gamified the act of choosing a nation at creation, as my desire, and the desire of the HO at the time, was to leave the national selection process as unaffected and as natural as possible. For whatever reason having a delayed selection doesn't sit right with me in that regards. The only functional complaint on that point that I've heard is that smaller teams, who may need inactive representation would lose out on those key players and may not be able to ice a team.

In all honesty, if players are allowed to transfer after 1 IIHF tourney, I don't think the delayed choice would really be necessary. 

And in regards to the WJC thing, you're correct, it was more just reiteration.

I agree with Durden that there needs to be an adjustment.
That being said, is a potential solution this:

"A player who is currently Unassigned may choose 1 transfer during their time as an SMJHL player,
That same player, who now is currently assigned to a nation, is given the option of 1 transfer during their time as an SHL player, unless they have played 2 IIHF tournaments in a row"

aka, that player has the option to see if they still like the nation in the IIHF and if it is not a good fit, is not able to transfer out.

This would be the equivalent (I think) to what a player who choose to be 1 nation gets, when they then switch over to another nation.

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]

I appreciate all of the discussion here. I think Brick has done an amazing job summarizing some of the ways to combat this issue.

I feel that in the case that a player (at creation) selects USA as their birthplace, they are welcomed into the USA LR, and can see what it's like. If they are unhappy with the LR, or the possibility (or lack thereof) for playing time, they may transfer.

A player that creates and is unassigned, they have no chance to test out their initial choice, and re-think it later. They're stuck with that option for a career.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

I'm new or renew. My opinion doesn't count much. Yet I like what Durden and Brickwall are proposing.

[Image: embros.png]

[Image: ddIlIkT.png]  [Image: qzGJBye.png]
Player Render by Merica

As an IIHF Fed Head I totally agree with this, unless you’re a recent recreate you won’t know the ins and outs of most teams so if you immediately join a team as a free transfer you could be on an IIHF team you don’t like for 10-15 seasons. Having more mobility (within reason) is a good thing.

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

10-28-2021, 11:06 AMbrickwall35 Wrote:
10-28-2021, 10:57 AMartermis Wrote: Oh I get what you're saying, and that's a good point.

In all honesty, if players are allowed to transfer after 1 IIHF tourney, I don't think the delayed choice would really be necessary. 

I like that, just as a note most teams have a wait time longer than an SMJHL career in order to play, so I think the locked-in rule you're commenting on a different issue that is at least somewhat addressed by the locked-in player and goalie transfers.

10-28-2021, 11:46 AMRashfordU Wrote: I agree with Durden that there needs to be an adjustment.
That being said, is a potential solution this:

"A player who is currently Unassigned may choose 1 transfer during their time as an SMJHL player,
That same player, who now is currently assigned to a nation, is given the option of 1 transfer during their time as an SHL player, unless they have played 2 IIHF tournaments in a row"

aka, that player has the option to see if they still like the nation in the IIHF and if it is not a good fit, is not able to transfer out.

This would be the equivalent (I think) to what a player who choose to be 1 nation gets, when they then switch over to another nation.

This sounds pretty sensible too, seeing as that the only teams playing SMJHL players will be your worst off. I guess it's a double edged sword in that sense as those teams can't really afford to lose players.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

I actually proposed something a few seasons ago about transfer eligibility but it got shot down. I’d have to dig to see what my idea actually was

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

We are in the process of reworking the entire rule-book, among them the transfer rules and what is considered a transfer. We will certainly discuss these proposed changes.

I just want to reiterate what Artermis mentions, the "lock" of a player only takes effect after the first IIHF game so the WJC doesn't matter. This will be specifically mentioned again in the updated rules.

One thing that I want to note however is that the IIHF and international play is different compared to league play where more movement occurs. In the "real setting" there are circumstances where a player can switch their national team identity but that is a rare occurrence. As an unassigned player you have the option of looking in on each IIHF Federation which gives you an advantage over the natural born players in a Federation. That being said I understand there is a difference between being sold a Federation and then staying on for 10+ seasons, so it is definitely something to discuss.

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]