Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #1 - The Chicago Syndicate & S47
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021, 11:35 AM by Opera_Phantom.)

syndicate  syndicate  syndicate  syndicate  syndicate  syndicate
The Chicago Syndicate & S47
The Chicago Syndicate were a mysterious force in the S47 draft. Players who were eligible for that draft were confused, buying into all of the various rumors and media speculation surrounding the draft. Who would Chicago take with the third overall pick? Has anyone heard from Chicago? In the end, it was Corey Kennedy who ruined many people's mock drafts, being taken with that third pick in the draft. Chicago made six other picks in that draft, but it is only one - Martijn Westbroek - who will be relevant to this piece, as the others are all...off living their non-hockey dreams, or something like that.

Acquiring Kennedy and Westbroek in the same draft would be considered a win by most standards (certainly my own), but over the course of the next few seasons, the Syndicate would continue to throw a considerable amount of faith into other members of that draft class. Here I will list and provide some minor statistical analysis for some outstanding members of the S47 draft class who have played for Chicago, the manner in which the Syndicate acquired them, and their impact on the franchise in their time on the roster. If I miss anyone, I am sorry as usual, but I am doing the best I can with the analytics I have on hand.

Corey Kennedy - Kennedy has played his entire career in Chicago, and is currently going into his fourteenth season with the team. At the time of this writing, he has played 845 regular and postseason games for Chicago, amassing 596 points (174 goals and 422 assists). As a defenseman with maximum grit, he has put up some impressive numbers on the defensive side of the game as well, blocking 1516 shots and laying 1272 crushing hits on opponents, many of whom must surely still be feeling it in their bones. Kennedy was a part of the cup-winning Chicago squad in S57, averaging 25:40 of ice time that season. He has made five all-star teams (including the rookie team his rookie year). However, he is very stinky.

Martijn Westbroek - Westbroek, taken by Chicago in the second round of the S47 draft, has also played his entire career for the Syndicate, beginning his fifteenth season this year. In that time, he has been a force to be reckoned with in the league; he has played 884 games for Chicago, and in that time has racked up 876 points (382 goals, 494 assists), peaking in S57 as he scored 87 points with that same championship team. Westbroek has been named to four all-star teams.

Lallo Selman - Selman was acquired from the Buffalo Stampede in exchange for Chicago's S49 first round pick and S50 second round pick. He never played in a game for Buffalo, as he was traded while still in the SMJHL, and played his entire SHL career in Chicago, a full eleven seasons, in which he played 729 games and scored 635 points (250 goals, 385 assists). His best season was (are you seeing a trend here?) S57, in which he scored 72 points and averaged 22:39 minutes of ice time.

Gunnar Söderberg - Söderberg was acquired via trade with the Tampa Bay Barracuda in the offseason between S53 and S54. He is retiring at the end of this season, by which time, he will have played nine seasons for the Syndicate. Söderberg has had some up years and some down years, but has played 581 games for the Syndicate as of the time of this article. While he did play five seasons in Tampa, the majority of Söderberg's points have come while playing in Chicago - a total of 494 points (228 goals and 266 assists) in the black and yellow. Söderberg hit what was at the time a career high of 54 points in S57 on the championship squad, and took home a Razov award for his performance in the playoffs during that cup run.

Boris Poroshenko - Poroshenko does not have the tenure in Chicago that the others on this list do, but I would be remiss if I did not mention him as well. He was signed as a free agent prior to S60, and has played two seasons in Chicago now, 166 games, with 56 goals and 73 assists for a total of 129 points. He has also crushed opponents with 666 (very scary) hits in that time. He has been a strong addition to the team despite being a latecomer to the Syndicate S47 Club.

We are undeniably in or nearing the twilight of the S47 era; Kennedy, Westbroek, and Poroshenko look to still have some life in them, but Selman retired after S60, and Söderberg is, as previously mentioned, retiring after S62. Still, without the contributions of these key players, it is questionable whether Chicago would have been able to make that glorious championship run of S57. (or they could have loaded up on a bunch of other players from other years, I don't know, I just thought it was a nice narrative).

Thank you for reading, please feed me TPE.

Code:
849 words

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Corey's so stinky

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

Approved, +5 TPE to @sköldpaddor

[Image: CptSquall.gif]