Create Account

Still need some time - Pre-season interview with Janis Lux

Last season Grizzlies made debut in SMJHL. Many will say that they surprised by getting past first round of play-offs, but here in Great Falls all fans knew that Grizzlies will do that and if not for Vancouver then Grizzlies could be in finals. Of course there is no doubt that Vancouver would win in finals, because they were from another planet but still Grizzlies fans hoped that team will go to finals.

After Grizzlies last training before new SMJHL season 62 we have invited Janis Lux to a small interview. We will talk about off-season and his contract negotiations and of course new season and we little bit we will look back at last season as well.

Jean-Pierre Bear: Welcome, Janis. How are you feeling?

Janis Lux: Thanks for having me JPB. I feel ... ok. Still need some time to get my form back.

Jean-Pierre Bear: First of all I want to congratulate with new contract from Calgary Dragons. Was talks easy?

Janis Lux: Thanks. Talks were pretty easy, yes.

Jean-Pierre Bear: I think all in Great Falls expected that you will go to Calgary after last season, but it did not happen. How so?

Janis Lux: After last season I talked with Calgary and they said that I need to get better before debut in SHL, but since my contract was up there was chance that some other teams could get. Thank God I received contract from Calgary and will be staying with them and that meant I will be staying with Great Falls for next season.

Jean-Pierre Bear: There was a chance that some other SHL team could get you. How that went? Were you worried?

Janis Lux: Of course I was worried, because all that waiting and mystery about my future was killing me.

Jean-Pierre Bear: You said that Calgary wanted for you to get better.

Janis Lux: You see, Calgary have massive roster and to get in that roster you need to be as best as you can be and for me last season were not as good as I hoped for.

Jean-Pierre Bear: Not good? You were Grizzlies leader, teams best player. 

Janis Lux: Yes, but that was stats wise. Overall in practice I did not progressed that well.

Jean-Pierre Bear: And why was that?

Janis Lux: It was all me. Grizzlies are great organization and all, but it was my own fault that I did not progressed that much.

Jean-Pierre Bear: There were rumours that you did not wanted to play for Grizzlies and that is why you skipped some practice.

Janis Lux: That is some bulls*it. I love Grizzlies organization and my team-mates. As for skipping practices I had my own personal reasons for that, but now it is all good and I am ready to help my team 100%.

Jean-Pierre Bear: How you rate last season?

Janis Lux: In one word - tough.

Jean-Pierre Bear: Why it was tough?

Janis Lux: First I had to move from Anchorage to Great Falls, then I needed some time to get to know my new team and this was much tougher that for other times if player changes team because we were new team and almost all players were put together first time. We had some players from Anaheim who played together but that prett much was it.

Jean-Pierre Bear: But you found your place pretty fast. Coaches trusted you and you delivered.

Janis Lux: Well yes and no. I delivered, kinda but still I needed some time to adapt to new team-mates, new line partners, new demands from coaches.

Jean-Pierre Bear: And what has changed compared to last off-season?

Janis Lux: If last season we were thrown together and had to adapt to each others playing style and needed to learn what one or another partner will do on ice then now it is different. Now I have some chemistry with Grogu and I will definitely find some language with Bjorn.

Jean-Pierre Bear: Grogu, Bjorn and yourself are all from Europe. Do you think it will help?

Janis Lux: Of course it will. If I play with american or canadian they have much more different playing style, as for europeans we had kinda similar playing style. So I think we will do some magic on ice.

Jean-Pierre Bear: So this will be your fifth season in SMJHL can we expect some fight for league MVP maybe?

Janis Lux: No, definitely not.

Jean-Pierre Bear: Why not? You are experienced guy on team, Grizzlies leader, last seasons team MVP.

Janis Lux: So what? All that is great and all but if team will not do good then I do not see myself as contender for that award.

Jean-Pierre Bear: And what if team will do good? There is no doubt that you will be teams best player yet again.

Janis Lux: If team will be do good, then it will be Grogu who needs to get MVP, because he, as a captain, lead team to that result and he should be teams MVP and contender for all leagues MVP.

Jean-Pierre Bear: Lets talk about roster. You have met new guys. What can you tell about them?

Janis Lux: For now it is very hard say anything. Practice and pre-season games are one thing but regular season is very different story. I like their attitude on ice, in practices, in locker room too and of course they will get only better so they will be good help it looks like.

Jean-Pierre Bear: Your #25 jersey still is most selled jersey for Grizzlies. That means fans love you.

Janis Lux: What can I say. Fans are awesome. I do not care if it is my jersey or other players jerseys, all that matters for me is that fans are cheering us and we play for them.

Jean-Pierre Bear: There are rumours that you will open restaurant soon here in Great-Falls.

Janis Lux: Rumours are rumours. That is why they are rumours because they are rumours.

Jean-Pierre Bear: After this season you will definitely leave Great Falls and go to Calgary. That for sure will leave some big mark in teams roster.

Janis Lux: About my future I would like to talk after season not before one.

Jean-Pierre Bear: What fans can expect from Grizzlies this season?

Janis Lux: Exciting hockey. Like I said we play for fans and we know that they support us with their hearts that is why we need to give them the best hockey that we can.

Jean-Pierre Bear: What is teams goals for this season?

Janis Lux: Not be worse than last season. Only get better and progress.

Jean-Pierre Bear: So second round again?

Janis Lux: At least second round.

Jean-Pierre Bear: And what is your personal goals? I guess you wanna leave SMJHL as champion?

Janis Lux: Being a champion is what I dreamed since I came in to this league. I always have said that "if you do not aim for championship, then you can leave that sport". Of course I aim for championship and I bet anyone on this team aims that high too. If you do not aim high then you are not a pro-athlete.

Jean-Pierre Bear: Tomorrow is the start for the new SMJHL season. What will be your words for fans?

Janis Lux: Support us. We all feel your support and it helps us a lot.

Jean-Pierre Bear: Thanks Janis for this interview and good luck in new SMJHL season.

Janis Lux: Thanks for having me and thanks for kind words.

That was interview with Great Falls Grizzlies leader Janis Lux. As we all know tomorrow starts the new season so "Lets go Grizzlies"

Jean-Pierre Bear, "Sports Life in Montana"
Grizzlies Grizzlies Grizzlies Grizzlies Grizzlies

**1319 words

Drafted 59th Overall in SMJHL S58 draft by Anchorage Armada
Drafted 9th in SMJHL S60 expansion draft by Great Falls Grizzlies
Drafted 36th Overall in SHL S59 draft by Calgary Dragons

[Image: lux2.png]

Good read!

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria