Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #1 - Texas Renegades - Can They Do It?
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2021, 11:35 AM by Opera_Phantom.)

The Texas Renegades seem poised to make another deep playoff run after a devastating loss in the S61 Challenge Cup Finals.  Despite a remarkable run in Season 59 that led to them lifting the Challenge Cup, the Renegades have come up short on more recent occasions. 

Their hurdles are all the same, being ousted by the “big three” of the much-maligned and recently drained Great Lakes Division.  The story of the last several seasons seems to have been that the Great Lakes is Great, and Texas is pretty good too.  Thanks to recent efforts by the likes of Baltimore and Tampa Bay, that narrative seems to be changing. 

Texas remain odds on favorites in the West according to early season betting and I don’t see that changing too much during the season.  The question is not whether Texas will make the playoffs though, rather what can they do when they get there.  They can dispense of weaker contenders with small effort and have shown that they can punch at their weight and sometimes above it and come out on top.  The series with Chicago last season was an example of them digging deep and coming out on top.

The fact is that all roads to the Challenge Cup go through Buffalo and Hamilton.  That's not to discredit teams like Baltimore or Tampa Bay who would be a welcome and probably fan favorite addition to the finals.  But can Texas get it done?  Their window is not closing soon but they need to strike before the rest of the West rises up.  While Kvalheim is aging he will be a threat until the day he retires.  Players like Watcher, Sondergard, Sulfurgold, and Williams are still very much in their prime.  Losing a generational talent like Kekkonen did not hurt them as much as expected.  They have slowly but steadily started to rebuild their prospect pool with additions like Boots and Meltzer but they will not be ready for several seasons yet.

The point is, they still have the tools and the firepower to get it done and I believe they will find a way this season.  They have proven that they can beat Buffalo and Hamilton, having defeated both teams on their way to winning the Cup.  But I really think they learned something about themselves in that loss to Hamilton and they will make the necessary adjustments.  I predict a similar playoff run but I expect them to be tested more on the way there.  Aside from the second round where Chicago gave them fits, they walked to the finals.  Hamilton had to run a gauntlet and were actually against the ropes against Baltimore.

This season is their best shot, arguably better than their shot in Season 59 when they actually won.  They are a well managed and well oiled machine.  They learn from their mistakes and usually come back better.  Texas have the chance to start a dynasty and build on something special while their top stars are still in their prime.  Let’s see if they can do it.

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

Approved!

+5 TPE @Leoben