Create Account

The true "Parity Issue" in the league

11-16-2021, 07:56 PMSlashACM Wrote:
11-16-2021, 05:54 PMImShiny Wrote: no

loser

Reported
fuck

[Image: ImShiny.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2021, 02:04 PM by Henrik.)

11-16-2021, 05:29 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: I'm tired of hearing this "bad GM" take. Let's just make it clear when we hear this what is being said. These people right here:

@JKortesi81 @Pythonic @JayWhy @Citizen of Adraa @Ace @Bayley @Thatguy91 @AgentSmith630 @Mutedfaith @spooked @notorioustig @reid @FuzzSHL @TheDangaZone @Inf1d3l @TheFlash @kenvald @39alaska39

Are you telling me that these are all shit GMs? Or am I just interpreting this wrong? Maybe not shit GMs, that'd be mean. Just bad. Right?

What a load.

I agree with the rest of the post but come the fuck on with that absolute garbage.

Shit GM here, can confirm.

In all seriousness though, I think a lot of whats been said in this thread are good points. I can only speak for myself, but for me it feels like the biggest issue with the current situation is FHM itself. Since taking over as a GM, I've spent over 300 hours on FHM. I'd say 90% or more of that is pure testing (most of which has been in the last 3-4 seasons). It eats up a lot of time and there is no real guarantee of success. So unless you A) have a deeper level of knowledge about the sim or B) can automate testing or have a larger group of testers all working actively, it is extremely difficult to compete just from a time perspective. I don't think its reasonable for a GM to have to spenD upwards of 40 hours or more prior to the season starting in order to field a competitive team. That in and of itself is going to scare people away from the position, regardless of the compensations you get for the job. I feel its less about creating a good locker room and drafting well and more about just straight sim knowledge at the moment, which for me is the opposite of what this league should be all about. But maybe I'm in the minority here (and obviously one doesn't exclude the other). Asking players to spend over a year on a losing team only to potentially have a crack at making a playoff run isn't easy and I don't blame users who leave bottomdwelling teams in order to seek success elsewhere but I think we are going to see more and more users leave teams earlier unless they see some actual results on the ice unless we see some sweeping changes going forward.

Thats just my two cents, and I know some people reading this are just going to shake their heads and mutter to themselves ' Just dont be a GM if you are shit or can't put in the time.' and I think thats fine, thats your opinion, but in a world where we now are seeing less and less applications to the GM position and we are starting to really see a trend where teams with FHM knowledge have that significant headstart on teams that don't... Thats a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

On another note, I think its great that we are talking about this as a community and I know that HO is and has been working hard on these issues, so this is not meant as a passive aggressive rant aimed at HO. If you are reading this, I think you are doing good work guys.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Universal sim bots when?

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

11-17-2021, 06:28 AMThatguy91 Wrote:
11-16-2021, 05:29 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: I'm tired of hearing this "bad GM" take. Let's just make it clear when we hear this what is being said. These people right here:

@JKortesi81 @Pythonic @JayWhy @Citizen of Adraa @Ace @Bayley @Thatguy91 @AgentSmith630 @Mutedfaith @spooked @notorioustig @reid @FuzzSHL @TheDangaZone @Inf1d3l @TheFlash @kenvald @39alaska39

Are you telling me that these are all shit GMs? Or am I just interpreting this wrong? Maybe not shit GMs, that'd be mean. Just bad. Right?

What a load.

I agree with the rest of the post but come the fuck on with that absolute garbage.

In all seriousness though, I think a lot of whats been said in this thread are good points. I can only speak for myself, but for me it feels like the biggest issue with the current situation is FHM itself. Since taking over as a GM, I've spent over 300 hours on FHM. I'd say 90% or more of that is pure testing (most of which has been in the last 3-4 seasons). It eats up a lot of time and there is no real guarantee of success. So unless you A) have a deeper level of knowledge about the sim or B) can automate testing or have a larger group of testers all working actively, it is extremely difficult to compete just from a time perspective. I don't think its reasonable for a GM to have to spent upwards of 40 hours or more prior to the season starting in order to field a competitive team. That in and of itself is going to scare people away from the position, regardless of the compensations you get for the job. I feel its less and about creating a good locker room and drafting well and more about just straight sim knowledge at the moment, which for me is the opposite of what this league should be all about. But maybe I'm in the minority here (and obviously one doesn't exclude the other). Asking players to spend over a year on a losing team only to potentially have a crack at making a playoff run isn't easy and I don't blame users who leave bottomdwelling teams in order to seek success elsewhere but I think we are going to see more and more users leave teams earlier unless they see some actual results on the ice unless we see some sweeping changes going forward.

Thats just my two cents, and I know some people reading this are just going to shake their heads and mutter to themselves ' Just dont be a GM if you are shit or can't put in the time.' and I think thats a fine, thats your opinion, but in a world where we now are seeing less and less applications to the GM position and we are starting to really see a trend where teams with FHM knowledge have that significant headstart on teams that don't... Thats a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

On another note, I think its great that we are talking about this as a community and I know that HO is and has been working hard on these issues, so this is not meant as a passive aggressive rant aimed at HO. If you are reading this, I think you are doing good work guys.

Thanks for grasping the intention I had when making this. An honest out in the open discussion is helpful and who knows, maybe we can discover a gem amongst all the manure lol.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

11-17-2021, 06:28 AMThatguy91 Wrote:

What a load.

In all seriousness though, I think a lot of whats been said in this thread are good points. I can only speak for myself, but for me it feels like the biggest issue with the current situation is FHM itself. Since taking over as a GM, I've spent over 300 hours on FHM. I'd say 90% or more of that is pure testing (most of which has been in the last 3-4 seasons). It eats up a lot of time and there is no real guarantee of success. So unless you A) have a deeper level of knowledge about the sim or B) can automate testing or have a larger group of testers all working actively, it is extremely difficult to compete just from a time perspective. I don't think its reasonable for a GM to have to spent upwards of 40 hours or more prior to the season starting in order to field a competitive team. That in and of itself is going to scare people away from the position, regardless of the compensations you get for the job. I feel its less and about creating a good locker room and drafting well and more about just straight sim knowledge at the moment, which for me is the opposite of what this league should be all about. But maybe I'm in the minority here (and obviously one doesn't exclude the other). Asking players to spend over a year on a losing team only to potentially have a crack at making a playoff run isn't easy and I don't blame users who leave bottomdwelling teams in order to seek success elsewhere but I think we are going to see more and more users leave teams earlier unless they see some actual results on the ice unless we see some sweeping changes going forward.

Thats just my two cents, and I know some people reading this are just going to shake their heads and mutter to themselves ' Just dont be a GM if you are shit or can't put in the time.' and I think thats a fine, thats your opinion, but in a world where we now are seeing less and less applications to the GM position and we are starting to really see a trend where teams with FHM knowledge have that significant headstart on teams that don't... Thats a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

The diamond in the rough comment of this thread.

I took a look at the GM openings this offseason and considered applying. I was an SMJHL GM for a number of seasons, feel like I can do a good job of roster management and scouting, but am unwilling to spend the hours required to test sim. It's just not something I'm willing to do with my free time. I remember the pain of assembling good rosters in Colorado and the team not performing as well as they should because I didn't put in the required time/effort required to do well (and I did put in a lot of time and effort).

It's an unfortunate result of FHM and I'm not sure what the solution is. I've floated the idea in some locker rooms (at first as a joke) of having AI coaches, so truer to real life GMs you are hiring a third party coach that has independence to set lines/tactics and puts GMs on a level playing field in that regard. This feels bad from a management perspective of not getting to set lines or tactics and probably inserts a level of randomness we probably don't want. Maybe there is a middle ground where AI coaches set tactics and GMs set lines and roles, or some combination of AI coaches and GM management.

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

11-17-2021, 02:10 PMLordBirdman Wrote:
11-17-2021, 06:28 AMThatguy91 Wrote: Shit GM here, can confirm.

The diamond in the rough comment of this thread.

I took a look at the GM openings this offseason and considered applying.  I was an SMJHL GM for a number of seasons, feel like I can do a good job of roster management and scouting, but am unwilling to spend the hours required to test sim.  It's just not something I'm willing to do with my free time.  I remember the pain of assembling good rosters in Colorado and the team not performing as well as they should because I didn't put in the required time/effort required to do well (and I did put in a lot of time and effort). 

It's an unfortunate result of FHM and I'm not sure what the solution is.  I've floated the idea in some locker rooms (at first as a joke) of having AI coaches, so truer to real life GMs you are hiring a third party coach that has independence to set lines/tactics and puts GMs on a level playing field in that regard.  This feels bad from a management perspective of not getting to set lines or tactics and probably inserts a level of randomness we probably don't want.  Maybe there is a middle ground where AI coaches set tactics and GMs set lines and roles, or some combination of AI coaches and GM management.

isnt that what the co-GM is for?

it feels like there are seasons for testing and seasons for being an "active" GM. TBB is far from a true example of success, but trella and dwight and MCP spent a ton of time scouting and making trades to make the best roster they could. In those days, we didn't test a whole ton because we had barely any TPE on the roster. Now that we have one of the higher averages in the league, we spend way more time testing and gathering FHM info than we do fielding trades and scouting. We have not only GMs testing, but we put somewhat of a priority on FHM knowledgeable players in our drafting process, and not to toot my own horn but I spend a lot of time automating as many processes as possible. And, guys like Canadice make the entire league better if you are savvy enough to follow.

Teams like BUF and HAM are likely similar in their breakdown, whereas WPG and MAN are likely going to spend way more time scouting and trading.

I think I'm rambling, but i guess my point is that maybe a testing time investment is a good thing. Maybe my POV is skewed because things have always been busy for us, but what are GMs supposed to do outside of draft and trade if not test and deploy?

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

11-17-2021, 02:23 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:
11-17-2021, 02:10 PMLordBirdman Wrote: The diamond in the rough comment of this thread.

I took a look at the GM openings this offseason and considered applying.  I was an SMJHL GM for a number of seasons, feel like I can do a good job of roster management and scouting, but am unwilling to spend the hours required to test sim.  It's just not something I'm willing to do with my free time.  I remember the pain of assembling good rosters in Colorado and the team not performing as well as they should because I didn't put in the required time/effort required to do well (and I did put in a lot of time and effort). 

It's an unfortunate result of FHM and I'm not sure what the solution is.  I've floated the idea in some locker rooms (at first as a joke) of having AI coaches, so truer to real life GMs you are hiring a third party coach that has independence to set lines/tactics and puts GMs on a level playing field in that regard.  This feels bad from a management perspective of not getting to set lines or tactics and probably inserts a level of randomness we probably don't want.  Maybe there is a middle ground where AI coaches set tactics and GMs set lines and roles, or some combination of AI coaches and GM management.

it feels like there are seasons for testing and seasons for being an "active" GM. TBB is far from a true example of success, but trella and dwight and MCP spent a ton of time scouting and making trades to make the best roster they could. In those days, we didn't test a whole ton because we had barely any TPE on the roster. Now that we have one of the higher averages in the league, we spend way more time testing and gathering FHM info than we do fielding trades and scouting. We have not only GMs testing, but we put somewhat of a priority on FHM knowledgeable players in our drafting process, and not to toot my own horn but I spend a lot of time automating as many processes as possible. And, guys like Canadice make the entire league better if you are savvy enough to follow.

Teams like BUF and HAM are likely similar in their breakdown, whereas WPG and MAN are likely going to spend way more time scouting and trading.

I think I'm rambling, but i guess my point is that maybe a testing time investment is a good thing. Maybe my POV is skewed because things have always been busy for us, but what are GMs supposed to do outside of draft and trade if not test and deploy?

While I don't directly disagree with what you are saying, I think we need to consider as a community what level of commitment we expect from our GMs. I think we can all agree that in recent years, Buffalo and Hamilton has set the golden standard for what successful management looks like, but should we really expect the whole league to follow an example that currently only 20% of the league is able to attain at this moment? If yes, then I think we'd need to see a pretty radical turn-around of GMs and GM culture and I'm not sure thats even realistic. And if we are already experiencing a lack of GM applications, what will that look like after we effectively ask even more of a GM in terms of a very niche part of the GMing experience? Additionally, if we continue on this heading the teams that are already ahead will continue to build on their already superior knowledge and testing systems, making it even more difficult for new GMs to break in and be successful.

Expecting teams to not only have knowledge regarding automation but also have an active group of a handful of testers isn't something we should be striving for imo, I think thats setting the bar too high and I don't see that as a sustainable system for 20 teams. That would require what, upwards of 20-25% of the total league population to take active part in testing and that seems way too high.

Maybe I'm just overthinking things, and obviously everyone has different ideas of what is reasonable and what they want to experience in the league but I tend to lean towards simplifying things rather than making the system more complex.

I also realise that a lot of these points are probably making me sound like a whiney GM that wants easy success, but in all honesty I think that if we continue this 'arms race' its only going to lead to greater stratification in this league. I don't like the idea of making changes that punishes the success of teams that have set up proven systems, but I do think we should seriously consider and discuss (just like we are doing at the moment!) what level of commitment we expect from our GMs, if that is sustainable and/or realistic and what effect it has on the overall health of the league.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

11-17-2021, 02:23 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:
11-17-2021, 02:10 PMLordBirdman Wrote: The diamond in the rough comment of this thread.

That's a fine point, but my point was to address the dwindling interest in becoming a GM through my own personal experience. I don't want to spend as much time as you, trella, dwight and the gang spend on testing FHM. I just don't want to do that. I didn't say I would want to spend zero time, I'm saying I've been there before and don't want to spend a ton of free time doing it because it's not fun and I'd rather waste my free time on slightly more fun wastes of time.

Frankly this is fine and I'm not complaining, it just means I won't become a GM. It's perfectly reasonable to have a different opinion and believe that GMs should be putting in this much time and effort, but that is just not something that is appealing to me. I assume this is the case for others as well given dwindling interest in once coveted positions.

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

Remove PTs for everyone tbh

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

I've been talking about parity with Teddy a lot since I got into HO. After my discussions with him, I'm of the opinion that successful teams are very successful because they have very good buy-in from their players and they have time to come up with an ideal strategy for an ideal group of players. The top teams have extremely similar builds and as a result of having extremely similar builds, they can create a single strategy that applies extremely well to every person on their team. If you don't have the same level of buy-in from your players (which quite frankly, I don't want to see) you aren't going to have the same success in finding a strategy because you have so many more variables to work with. If you put the current meta strategies on a regular NHL team, they do not perform well (or so I'm told).

Currently, HO has been working on something that has shown a lot of preliminary success in fixing the current Meta. I frankly won't give any info on it until it's been tested more and we're ready confident in the solution because the more time people know our solution, the more time people will be trying to break our solution. It's an unfortunate truth but as a former GM, I know it's what is going to happen.

We'll continue to monitor other options, but our goal is to get the league to the point where knowing the sim engine is an advantage, not the advantage.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

11-17-2021, 03:28 PMThatguy91 Wrote:
11-17-2021, 02:23 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: isnt that what the co-GM is for?

While I don't directly disagree with what you are saying, I think we need to consider as a community what level of commitment we expect from our GMs. I think we can all agree that in recent years, Buffalo and Hamilton has set the golden standard for what successful management looks like, but should we really expect the whole league to follow an example that currently only 20% of the league is able to attain at this moment? If yes, then I think we'd need to see a pretty radical turn-around of GMs and GM culture and I'm not sure thats even realistic. And if we are already experiencing a lack of GM applications, what will that look like after we effectively ask even more of a GM in terms of a very niche part of the GMing experience? Additionally, if we continue on this heading the teams that are already ahead will continue to build on their already superior knowledge and testing systems, making it even more difficult for new GMs to break in and be successful.

Expecting teams to not only have knowledge regarding automation but also have an active group of a handful of testers isn't something we should be striving for imo, I think thats setting the bar too high and I don't see that as a sustainable system for 20 teams. That would require what, upwards of 20-25% of the total league population to take active part in testing and that seems way too high.

Maybe I'm just overthinking things, and obviously everyone has different ideas of what is reasonable and what they want to experience in the league but I tend to lean towards simplifying things rather than making the system more complex.

I also realise that a lot of these points are probably making me sound like a whiney GM that wants easy success, but in all honesty I think that if we continue this 'arms race' its only going to lead to greater stratification in this league. I don't like the idea of making changes that punishes the success of teams that have set up proven systems, but I do think we should seriously consider and discuss (just like we are doing at the moment!) what level of commitment we expect from our GMs, if that is sustainable and/or realistic and what effect it has on the overall health of the league.

i think everything you said is reasonable, i guess I would just say that the competition is good, no? There are folks who will invest as much time as possible before there are diminishing returns and I'm glad those people are around. I think its all well and good that there are gms who put in less work and are rewarded less and the same goes for players as well. But people play for all different reasons, so I would hate to punish more invested users to reward more casual users in the name of...something, i dont know. Not every user is here to win, and that's fine. We shouldn't expect the level of parity in the NHL, for example, since we're not getting paid and our victories are less meaningful.

I would also echo @LordBirdman 's sentiment: I don't want to GM either. I'm glad there are folks who have the time to manage a team, even if they don't have the time to run hours of sims every season.

That said, I don't really know what an alternative would look like, but a PT pass certainly frees up more time for managerial duties.

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

11-17-2021, 05:35 PMTommySalami Wrote: I've been talking about parity with Teddy a lot since I got into HO. After my discussions with him, I'm of the opinion that successful teams are very successful because they have very good buy-in from their players and they have time to come up with an ideal strategy for an ideal group of players. The top teams have extremely similar builds and as a result of having extremely similar builds, they can create a single strategy that applies extremely well to every person on their team. If you don't have the same level of buy-in from your players (which quite frankly, I don't want to see) you aren't going to have the same success in finding a strategy because you have so many more variables to work with. If you put the current meta strategies on a regular NHL team, they do not perform well (or so I'm told).

Currently, HO has been working on something that has shown a lot of preliminary success in fixing the current Meta. I frankly won't give any info on it until it's been tested more and we're ready confident in the solution because the more time people know our solution, the more time people will be trying to break our solution. It's an unfortunate truth but as a former GM, I know it's what is going to happen.

We'll continue to monitor other options, but our goal is to get the league to the point where knowing the sim engine is an advantage, not the advantage.

gib archetypes with +1 to stats

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2021, 12:32 PM by suavemente.)

11-16-2021, 03:42 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:
11-16-2021, 03:11 PMsuavemente Wrote: PT passes for GMs totally make sense. You should be spending time making deals and working lines not describing Grape flavored jelly bean recipes.  I do like that PT dont get me wrong, but a GMs main focus should be on fixing or maintaining their team.

Good write-up by a legend

have you considered that if GMs don't do PT tasks that no one will feel inspired to do them?
I don't consider much tbh.

[Image: 81ImQYu.png][Image: suavemente.gif][Image: QD85cmZ.png]
     Platoon    Timber

11-17-2021, 05:35 PMTommySalami Wrote: I've been talking about parity with Teddy a lot since I got into HO. After my discussions with him, I'm of the opinion that successful teams are very successful because they have very good buy-in from their players and they have time to come up with an ideal strategy for an ideal group of players. The top teams have extremely similar builds and as a result of having extremely similar builds, they can create a single strategy that applies extremely well to every person on their team. If you don't have the same level of buy-in from your players (which quite frankly, I don't want to see) you aren't going to have the same success in finding a strategy because you have so many more variables to work with. If you put the current meta strategies on a regular NHL team, they do not perform well (or so I'm told).

Hit me with that ex-HO slide into DMs backdoor news please MR. Salami
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2021, 02:26 AM by spooked.)

11-17-2021, 05:58 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:
11-17-2021, 03:28 PMThatguy91 Wrote: While I don't directly disagree with what you are saying, I think we need to consider as a community what level of commitment we expect from our GMs. I think we can all agree that in recent years, Buffalo and Hamilton has set the golden standard for what successful management looks like, but should we really expect the whole league to follow an example that currently only 20% of the league is able to attain at this moment? If yes, then I think we'd need to see a pretty radical turn-around of GMs and GM culture and I'm not sure thats even realistic. And if we are already experiencing a lack of GM applications, what will that look like after we effectively ask even more of a GM in terms of a very niche part of the GMing experience? Additionally, if we continue on this heading the teams that are already ahead will continue to build on their already superior knowledge and testing systems, making it even more difficult for new GMs to break in and be successful.

i think everything you said is reasonable, i guess I would just say that the competition is good, no? There are folks who will invest as much time as possible before there are diminishing returns and I'm glad those people are around. I think its all well and good that there are gms who put in less work and are rewarded less and the same goes for players as well. But people play for all different reasons, so I would hate to punish more invested users to reward more casual users in the name of...something, i dont know. Not every user is here to win, and that's fine. We shouldn't expect the level of parity in the NHL, for example, since we're not getting paid and our victories are less meaningful.

I would also echo @LordBirdman 's sentiment: I don't want to GM either. I'm glad there are folks who have the time to manage a team, even if they don't have the time to run hours of sims every season.

That said, I don't really know what an alternative would look like, but a PT pass certainly frees up more time for managerial duties.

There is a reason why most competition based games match players by a rating system. If you have a mix of people trying to enjoy their time on the site/chat/have fun and another set trying to go hard into metagaming and sim engine exploits, it's not going to mix well long term. And that gets compounded further when we are a player driven league that has turned into being way too reliant on manager time/effort to drive team (and by proxy player) success. A good GM should be able to manage the room and handle their teams personality and keep things moving there, but ultimately their whole objective ends up being gated by test sims and basically getting their whole roster to clone each other ratings wise as much as possible. That isn't even going into how much more people who could help out other teams, just don't move around much from what I can tell.

There is a very clear break point where competition is not a good thing in the SHL and that is when a GM can either consistently overcome TPE gaps from their experience/resources (like HAM seems to know how to do) or have no hope of overcoming TPE gaps. The teams that know what they are doing look like they have some kind of cheat code, where as everyone else (like TBB) flounder around trying to figure it out despite having a clearly challenger TPE level roster. I mean seriously, you can clearly see the impact FHM has had on the site when people are earning way more TPE because every mock is giving out more tpe than it used to just cause it is obvious what teams know what they are doing. That noticeable increase in TPE literally is because the league has stagnated and is about as interesting as a paper bag at this point if you are on any of the have-nots.

I don't really know what the point of ever being an SHL GM is for most people if you could just play a normal FHM save (or FM22, OOTP, etc, ) and have more fun without having homework of test simming.

The biggest problem I personally have is that any time you bring up anything about parity you get deflected into some minor topic that isn't going to fix the core issue. I consistently hear "but regression will fix parity" when I can pick out about 5 to 6 other HUGE issues that are also working against parity in a massive way. Lots of people want small changes, when the reality is we made a huge change to the league with the engine and made very little adjustments elsewhere since to fix everything it broke. We even have changes made since I started in the SHL that are working against parity in pretty obvious ways I am not even sure how they ever got put in place.