Create Account

The true "Parity Issue" in the league
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2021, 02:04 PM by Henrik.)

11-16-2021, 05:29 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: I'm tired of hearing this "bad GM" take. Let's just make it clear when we hear this what is being said. These people right here:

@JKortesi81 @Pythonic @JayWhy @Citizen of Adraa @Ace @Bayley @Thatguy91 @AgentSmith630 @Mutedfaith @spooked @notorioustig @reid @FuzzSHL @TheDangaZone @Inf1d3l @TheFlash @kenvald @39alaska39

Are you telling me that these are all shit GMs? Or am I just interpreting this wrong? Maybe not shit GMs, that'd be mean. Just bad. Right?

What a load.

I agree with the rest of the post but come the fuck on with that absolute garbage.

Shit GM here, can confirm.

In all seriousness though, I think a lot of whats been said in this thread are good points. I can only speak for myself, but for me it feels like the biggest issue with the current situation is FHM itself. Since taking over as a GM, I've spent over 300 hours on FHM. I'd say 90% or more of that is pure testing (most of which has been in the last 3-4 seasons). It eats up a lot of time and there is no real guarantee of success. So unless you A) have a deeper level of knowledge about the sim or B) can automate testing or have a larger group of testers all working actively, it is extremely difficult to compete just from a time perspective. I don't think its reasonable for a GM to have to spenD upwards of 40 hours or more prior to the season starting in order to field a competitive team. That in and of itself is going to scare people away from the position, regardless of the compensations you get for the job. I feel its less about creating a good locker room and drafting well and more about just straight sim knowledge at the moment, which for me is the opposite of what this league should be all about. But maybe I'm in the minority here (and obviously one doesn't exclude the other). Asking players to spend over a year on a losing team only to potentially have a crack at making a playoff run isn't easy and I don't blame users who leave bottomdwelling teams in order to seek success elsewhere but I think we are going to see more and more users leave teams earlier unless they see some actual results on the ice unless we see some sweeping changes going forward.

Thats just my two cents, and I know some people reading this are just going to shake their heads and mutter to themselves ' Just dont be a GM if you are shit or can't put in the time.' and I think thats fine, thats your opinion, but in a world where we now are seeing less and less applications to the GM position and we are starting to really see a trend where teams with FHM knowledge have that significant headstart on teams that don't... Thats a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

On another note, I think its great that we are talking about this as a community and I know that HO is and has been working hard on these issues, so this is not meant as a passive aggressive rant aimed at HO. If you are reading this, I think you are doing good work guys.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The true "Parity Issue" in the league - by Henrik - 11-17-2021, 06:28 AM