Create Account

Moving the SHL Draft

This is more the posing of a question than a suggestion. I'm wondering what people in the community would think of moving the SHL draft to the end of the second season of a player's SMJHL career.  I'll lay out what I think would be some of the pros and cons:

Pros:

*  GMs would be evaluating players based on sustained activity over two seasons rather than only one.
*  Players would spend less time as property of an SHL team without actually playing for the team.
*  Players would be closer to SHL ready when drafted, but still need further time in the J before being called up.
*  Players who are capped in their second season of junior would still have the draft to look forward to.

Cons:

*  There would be a season without a draft.
*  There would likely be less players available in a given draft, as more become inactive before their draft.
*  The above would lessen the value of late second round and third round picks.
*  All currently held draft positions would need to be moved forward by one season.

Finally, there is one aspect of this that I can see both sides of.  Some argue that the early draft helps with player retention.
On the other hand, I have always found the transition time from SMJHL to SHL to be the the most difficult period to maintain
my interest.  Having a bit less of a hill to climb to be a marginally effective player in the SHL post draft might help. Now on that
matter, you have already made positive changes since I've been around here. You no longer have 4th lines in the SHL and have
extended the length of time players spend in the J. Overall, I think the SHL has made many improvements since I last left it.

I'll stop straying from the original topic and sincerely await your responses, good, bad, ugly, or indifferent.

[Image: embros.png]

[Image: ddIlIkT.png]  [Image: qzGJBye.png]
Player Render by Merica

Hey, its disappointing no one commented on this. Though it seems like I will disagree with every suggestion you had the past couple of weeks xD.

I think having a 2nd season before they get drafted to the SHL would be a bit, jagged I guess is the word I would use. I think the flow of progression is good right now. you get drafted to the SMJHL and then at the end of the season you still have the hype of the SHL draft. I think the con's that you laid out are bigger cons than the bigger pro's. Also I like the chaos of people drafting players that go inactive the 2nd season in the SHL.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

I like that idea on the condition that we remove the first cap (and maybe increase the second one just a bit). That way, you keep progressing up until your SHL draft without hitting a cap, then you spend one or two seasons down before going up.

[Image: lespoils.gif]

On the topic of drafts when is the next one?

[Image: livius.gif]

I think that has been brought up a few times. If someone has the time it might be worth it to look for the old threads and see what was said then.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

12-10-2021, 01:32 PMbbp Wrote: On the topic of drafts when is the next one?

Roughly t minus 3 weeks

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

12-10-2021, 09:34 PMfishy Wrote:

Roughly t minus 3 weeks

dear god I forget how long offseason is every year Smile)

[Image: livius.gif]

Even though I made a couple of suggestions that make sense to me personally, the SHL is pretty good as it is if you accept it the way that it is.

Player Render by Merica

Next year

[Image: creller_dragons.png]

I dont hate this

Considering the amount of time players have to spend on the minors to reach a TPE level that allows them to play in the SHL, why not introduce a "declare for the draft" option?

3 seasons max, where players can declare for the draft until some kind of due date.

12-14-2021, 05:34 AMOpera_Phantom Wrote: Considering the amount of time players have to spend on the minors to reach a TPE level that allows them to play in the SHL, why not introduce a "declare for the draft" option?

3 seasons max, where players can declare for the draft until some kind of due date.

Great idea.

Player Render by Merica