Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #2 Detroit Skids
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2021, 04:31 AM by Opera_Phantom.)

*Sorry this is a little out of date I started writing it Tuesday and didn’t have a chance to finish until now.

In this Deep Dive I will be talking about the team with the biggest winning or losing streak in the SMJHL which happens to be the Detroit Falcons who are currently on an 11 game losing skid.  What has been causing the Falcons woes recently?  Is it poor goaltending, lack of goal support, or general terrible defense?  And will we see them turn it around again this season or will we see them in the lottery again fighting for first overall?  Let’s deep dive and find out!

Let’s start by looking at Detroit’s goalies and the underlying stats of their offense and defense over the course of their last 11 games.  Detroit has had 521 shots against them over the course of the last 11 games but only 240 shots for.  That comes out to 59 shots against per game versus 21.818 shots for per game.  If Detroit continues to get out shot so much their goalies will never have a shot at keeping the team in games.  Detroit has played both of their goalies over the 11 game span with Podan Podanovic starting 6 games and Evert Jansson starting 5 of them it’s been a pretty even split.  There have been 51 goals against Detroit in their last 11 games about 4.636 goals against per game.  29 of those goals have been scored against Podanovic while only 21 against Jansson.  However, when it comes to save percentage Podanovic’s is significantly better than Jansson’s over the course of the last 11 games sporting a .901 and a .789 respectfully.  I don’t think that goaltending is the problem for Detroit, but if they continue to allow 59 shots per game there is only so much any goalie could do.

Now let’s focus on Detroit’s offense over their last 11 games.  As I previously stated Detroit has been posting 21.818 shots per game, but almost everyone on the team has been completely snake bitten over the past 11 games having only scored 18 goals in those contests for a total of 1.636 goals for per game.  Detroit’s top line is across the board a -9.  Wet Jeans has 6 points in the last 11 games and that is the brightest spot for the Detroit forwards, Pingy Pingu only has 1 point and Akashi Six Nine has 3.  There has been a bright spot on the Detroit Defense, however, in Vasily Arkhangelsky.  He has 8 points in the past 11 games meaning he has had a hand in at 44% of Detroit’s goals during this losing streak.  He also leads the team in blocked shots and hits.  Unfortunately Arkhangelsky has been pinned on the second pairing behind Clem Fandango and Dirty Boots who have 3 and 1 points respectively and are both a -12 over the last 11 games while Arkhangelsky is a -2.

If Detroit expects to make the playoffs at all or even come anywhere but last place they will have to give Arkhangelsky more time as well as letting Podanovic take the reigns in goal.  I do believe there is still time for Detroit to turn it around but it does depend on how they deploy their team moving forward where they will end up in the standings.  They have some good pieces but I foresee Detroit being a lottery team again this season.

Need a sig :-/

Approved!

+5 TPE @Vik