Create Account

S62 PT #3- Hold this L

PBE Affiliate PT +3 TPE

Prompt Two

This being only my second season, I don't have a lot of experience to draw from in the losing (or even winning) column yet. Probably would be more focused on me as a user than my player since Jarrow has nothing to complain about. I have mis-read several PT's in my short time here and have competed at least 3 last season that were not assigned to me. Then to top it all off, I did the entire list of items in the Championship Week when I only needed to do a handful. I didn't submit it as I saw my mistake when I hit the "do a podcast" one at the bottom and figured there was no way I was doing that one then saw what others were doing.

I look forward to more seasons and taking those future L's with as much dignity as can be hoped for. So far Mr. Jarrow has been pretty lucky. Knock on wood.

[ 168 words ]

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

Prompt 1

Losing is defined as "suffering, resulting in, or relating to defeat in a game or contest." That, however, is not the word we should be using to define our efforts on the ice against the Hall of Famers. The definition of determination is as follows, "a positive emotional feeling that involves persevering towards a difficult goal in spite of obstacles. Determination occurs prior to goal attainment and serves to motivate behavior that will help achieve one's goal." This is what we should think about each and every night despite the outcome of the game. Being knocked down and out will only make us stronger moving forward. A famous boxer once said, it's not about how hard you can hit; it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. Let's regroup, find out the weaker points of our game and bring it to them next time we face them on the ice. They may have one the first battle but like many things in life, it's a war - we'll see them again soon enough, and this time, we'll be ready.

Word Count: 182

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

ISFL Affliate

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021, 10:35 AM by mastersheep.)

Prompt 2:

Losing to Atlanta a couple of seasons ago was pretty upsetting, but we didn’t feel we had a shot regardless of whether we got past them or not, so while that stung a lot to lose to a team that we probably shouldn’t have lost to, I didn’t feel too badly about it. Probably the worst loss we’ve had was last season in the conference final against Hamilton when we started off poorly, made some adjustments, but still lost the series in six games. Ultimately, we still weren’t at our peak, but I felt like if we had been able to pass them then we had a good chance to beat Texas and regardless, we would finally have made it to the finals for the first time in my career. Because of that, we went back to the drawing board and made a lot of notes and hope to have a much better plan for this season and the future. Honestly, the worst loss is likely yet to come as we begin to hit our peak over the next several seasons, but hopefully we get a few wins that will make it all worth it.

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Prompt 2
I haven't been on this site for very long so there aren't too many experiences that I can pull from but my biggest L so far is NL getting swept by VAN in the season 61 four star cup finals. We had been playing so well all season and competed with VAN we'll enough in the regular season that we thought we had a good shot but getting swept was heartbreaking. On top of that we had a bunch of players get called up in the offseason so it was the last shot for a lot of them. I do think we have recovered well though, NL is currently at the top of the league with pretty much all of our season 61 and 62 rookies still active and earning TPE. We got another good shot at winning it all this year so the future looks bright. If we don't win this year then next year we're going to have a bunch of 425 players that will no doubt steamroll the competition.

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

Code:
Written Task: We've all taken Ls on this site (L<----- this one's mine), feel free to reminisce about any particularly bad ones. Playoff and medal round losses always sting, but talk about some bad losses that really molded your player or you as a user. Have you recovered?

The biggest L that I've taken, happened both as a person and as a player.  It was a course correcting issue that happened way back in Season 54.  My sophomore season in Anaheim, I backstopped them to a cup.  We came close in 53, but were hot on track again in 54 for another 4-star cup.  The main rivals at the time for us were the Detroit Falcons and at the time (still to this day) I have a friendly rivalry with @Mutedfaith, aka Cal Labovitch.  I was performing well, the team was performing well.  We were still new into the youtube streaming of FHM at the time and, I'll be quite honest, I felt cocky as hell...and it caused me to have a lapse in judgement.  On stream, much to this day with Detroit, as they do well the chat will fill with players'  "Skreeeeeeeee" comments.  I took a friendly jab at them, and it was a friendly jab, but of the wrong sort.  I as was in violation of the rulebook and earned myself a suspension.  Egg on my face, and to this day I've tried to be extra careful on what I type and what I say...if I even say anything at all.  A three game suspension cost us probably 3 games we could have won....and a week ban from the website cost me TPE that could have made my player better (yes, even in the long run).  It wasn't a traditional in-game loss...but a loss nonetheless and I will not be forgetting it.

WC: 257

Prompt 2:

This season has been a tough one were we have picked up some big loses while FHM giving us the short end of the sim luck. The forge have taken some bad loses this season to teams we feel we should be competing with. Despite these loses this season I don’t think there is really any that will compare to some of the biggest ones of Nathan Thomas’ career. The first and one of the most memorable was the loss in the finals of the S54 season to the Berserkers. They were heavily favorited but the Timber had found a way to push through to the finals so there was hope we would be able to pull off the upset. Then Again with the Timber in S58? I where we had a very high team that was projected to do well. Which we ended up having an early playoff exit. That was a tough one to swallow as well. Most recently though Canada in the IIHF was able to make a run to the Gold medal game were we faced off with Great Britain. This one would go into Overtime where Canada would fall. Was one of the toughest loses in the Nathan Thomas’ career in only his second IIHF tournament.

WC:211

[Image: CaleSalad.gif]
[Image: kalesaladshl.gif]
some high fibre sigs are Powered by AllBran, 

SHL was the first sim league I joined, enjoyed and took seriously so it makes me sad that I never won a Challenge Cup in all my years here, especially with my first player. I won everything else with her, Four-Star Cup, multiple gold medals in IIHF, hell, even a rookie showcase. But I never got the big girl trophy and it really sucks. We got close a couple of times with the West Kendall Platoon and what sucks even more is that they won a couple of championships pretty soon after I retired.

It seems to be a trend that I win important stuff with players I don't care too much about but as soon as I get invested, I win lesser championships and can never get the big one (or just don't win anything). Now with Jasper I am living the individual trophies disappointments and while it sucks I just hope I can finally win a Challenge Cup and get rid of my "currently without big titles" :(.

[Image: engishl.gif]
FranceMonarchsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsFrance

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021, 11:46 AM by karlssens.)

I like to think I've stayed relatively even keel on this site. I've had my share of highs including cups, team achievements and individual awards as well as lows such as a 5 year absence from the playoffs in my first 5 seasons as GM due to a long overdue rebuild. Looking back, one trade I made quite early on that generated a lot of discussion was moving Izzy to the Dragons in exchange for a pick and Cuddles. With the ability of hindsight this turned out to be a relatively even trade since both players helping their team win cups, both players made the hall of fame and both users are now GM's for their respective teams and pillars of the community, but it had the potential to be disastrous for sure. Izzy was a top 4 pick in the draft and Cuddles was a late 3rd (4th?) so it was quite jarring for some people on the outside looking in wondering what the heck I was doing. Fortunately the young Mr. Cuddles lived up to the lofty expectations of us all and became a Blizz legend (and saved my ass).

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

Code:
Prompt 1 - 174 Words

The game against Team Hall of Famers did not go so well. Just because they need canes and walkers to get to the gate of the rink does not mean they cannot play hockey still. It was a night and day difference. They hobble to the gate and then as soon as they touch the ice they do not look a day over 20. I never thought I would take a check like I did from someone 3 times my age. It was a wake up call for our young team. We thought the superstars were good, but Team HoF absolutely destroyed us. Not just on the scoreboard (13-0 incase anyone wondered), but our pride was broken. It was like losing to a team straight out of the retirement home. They knew how to get under our skin and in our heads. They drew penalties, scored goals and laid us out. I even watched Jakub Aittokallio, goalie for Team HoF, lay out Ben Jammin when he was skating around their net. Talk about embarrassing.

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]

Prompt #1 - Once again we were faced off against the Old Guys and once again we were shown that youth and enthusiasm gets beat by old age and treachery. It was the same gameplan as used by the wily vets and it still worked against us perfectly. The rest of the up and comers and I came out roaring, hoping that our energy would see us through the opening few minutes as the old timer's energy expired. But once again it turned into a parade to the penalty box for us, as they sold every call possible. It probably didnt help that they knew the idiosyncrasies of the referee team better than us either. Late in the game we did manage to wear them down enough for a pushback, but I spent several minutes in a dark room being checked for a concussion after a subtle yet effective elbow from none other than Mr Mike Izzy himself. We will have our revenge later on in the tournament, though. After two straight embarrassments, us young pups have learned a thing or two about how to play big boy hockey.

[Image: %3E%5Balign=center%5D]
Aurora Winnipeg Aurora Aurora

Prompt 2 - In my first season of being a Co-GM for the Great Britain IIHF team, things started pretty shaky. The previous season saw Great Britain fail to reach the playoff for the first time in...well, a long time. So there was a bit of pressure to get back to contention, and I still didn't really know what I was doing. The beginning of the round robin couldn't have started worse, where we only won 1 game (in a shootout) in our first 4. Luckily we went on a tear in the second half of the season, barely qualifying for playoffs on the final game of round robin. We then rallied and beat Norway and Sweden to get into the gold medal round, where we were facing the previous winners: Japan. The game was back and forth, until we reached overtime at a score of 3-3. Close to the end of overtime, after some sustained pressure by Great Britain, Japan had a breakaway and didn't fail. Great Britain took home the silver, but it was disappointing to be that close and lose it.

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

PROMPT 2
The one loss for me that really stands out was the game six loss to Atlanta in season 60. It knocked us out of the playoffs in the second round and was a bit soul crushing. It was not just losing either, it was being handily beaten 5 to 2, while the previous five contests were all one goal games.  I really thought we were a better team and should have beaten them, but they just completely proved me wrong. I went into a deep funk after that game.
Our last game of season 61 wasn't as soul crushing as that Atlanta game since Hamilton was an absolute juggernaut, but losing 5 to nothing after winning the previous two games wasn't exactly a highlight, especially in front of our home crowd. Seeing all those empty seats late in the third period of a playoff game is something I would rather not repeat.

[Image: A9nSgBs.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2021, 08:51 PM by hockeyiscool.)

Prompt 1

These hall of famers really won the game through mental prowess. First off they told us that SimonT was an ideal simulation hockey engine and that really shook a lot of us to the core. Also hit us with plenty of back in my day we only had fifty games in a regular season to get all of our stats. Which was a big shot to the ego especially of Michael Fitted. They then teased us by playing Crossfit Jesus in the middle of the third period and he did not even make it into the hall of fame. Just to showboat how much better than us they were. There were a lot of brainstorming on how our team is going to recover for the rest of this tournaments but the thing that got our mental back together was a healthy dose of a family dinner with Crybaby Cranberry sauce and Mommy Milker Mac n Cheese.

[156 words]