Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive # 2 Centers in the S63 Draft
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2021, 05:40 AM by Opera_Phantom.)

For my second deep dive, I’m analyzing the SHL teams that appear to have the greatest need for a center that also have the means to draft a top rookie center in the upcoming S63 draft.

The first facts that I have learned in this process are that every forward in the SHL system is very versatile. FHM tends to rate most players as far better at one position than at any of the others. A GM source has informed me that a forward rates as a 20 at their native position and as a 19 at the other two forward positions. Therefore, any forward can be effective at any forward position. The only attribute that would likely separate centers from other forwards trying to play the position is their faceoff skill. This fact tempers my analysis somewhat.

I have determined that three SHL teams currently lead the pack as likely landing spots for the top S63 center prospects. These teams, if my sources are correct, have both the apparent need and the current means to obtain a top center. Before addressing these teams, the bottom three teams should be addressed.

The bottom three teams in the SHL are the Manhattan Rage, the Montreal Patriots and the Winnipeg Aurora. They all share some common characteristics. All three teams have about half their rosters currently filled with inactive players. Yet each of these teams already has a hoard of prospects from the last several drafts. Any prospect drafted to one of these teams would actually need to hope for others to go inactive in order to make a roster spot once their SMJHL eligibility runs out. I personally hate being in that position.

My first prime spot for an S63 center prospect is the New England Wolfpack. The Wolfpack have a need at center and defense with four players from the S40s at those positions. All four players would be 15-to-20-year veterans by the time S63 draft choices will be ready for the SHL.  The Wolfpack have S61 draft choice Kayden Pale as a solid defense prospect in the fold. They may be looking for a center in the S63 draft. The Wolfpack have a first-round choice and three second round choices in a draft that only has 38 players above the 155 TPE minimum as of this writing.

The Minnesota Monarchs are a younger team overall than the Wolfpack. However, they are in a similar situation with two aging defenseman and only one player listed at the center position on their roster in S56 prospect Rikki Petrov.  Looking deeper into their depth chart, the Monarchs have two inactive center prospects near the bottom of their prospect pool. Minnesota possesses one first round pick and two second round picks in the S63 draft.

It is a bit strange to say that a team that leads the league with 79 points out of a possible 90 needs anything. Yet, four out of five centers on the Chicago Syndicate are from S46 to S50. These men won’t be able to play forever. It’s a sign of a well managed team that they are already preparing for the future with two S62 center prospects waiting in the wings. I’m speculating that the Syndicate might want an insurance prospect at the position in the next draft.
The Syndicate are further prepared to resolve the issue with two first round picks in the SHL draft.

The LA Panthers have only one center on their current roster and one aging player at each wing. In addition to that, the Panthers have only three active prospects in total. It looks like they are content to wait a year to address any losses that may come in the future. The Panthers have no first or second round picks in the S63 draft.

The following is a list of the top center prospects currently for the S63 Draft:

Lias Ekholm-Gunnarson 264 TPE
Chris McZehrl Jr. 259 TPE
Valters Denisova 255 TPE
Sisyphus Embros 250 TPE
Brian Brettski 241 TPE
David Heinrich 239 TPE

Trying to match the players to teams would be beyond the scope of this article which is already getting long. I’ll need to look at this topic again in future media.

[Image: embros.png]

[Image: ddIlIkT.png]  [Image: qzGJBye.png]
Player Render by Merica

Approved!

+5 TPE @SabresFan