Create Account

S58 SHL Entry Draft first round review
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2021, 12:46 AM by MoreliaSpilota.)

1.  Barracuda - Tampa Bay Barracudas -  Luc Blouin  - 1188 TPE

So Blouin is top in the season fifty-eight class in terms of TPE which is slightly disappointing for a player that went first overall. The good news is that he's still with the Tampa Bay Barracuda so they picked a player that fit into their locker room well. He is a right defenseman so that adds a little bit of positional value. Overall, I'd say he's a solid first overall perhaps trending towards the lower half of first overall picks. Decent work Tampa Bay.

Grade: B+

2.  pride - San Fransico Pride - Gregory Goode -  1046 TPE

The good news is that Goode earned over a thousand TPE. The bad news is that he's currently inactive and twenty-first in the class in terms of overall TPE. This is a swing and miss for the Pride to be honest.

Grade: C

3.  Platoon - Baltimore Platoon - Mew Two - 1190 TPE

This is a solid pick by Baltimore, the first of two back-to-back picks in the first round of this draft. Mew Two is one of the top ten highest TPE earners of this draft class at eighth overall and the second highest-earning right wing of the entire draft. This is a solid pick though not spectacular.

Grade: B-

4.  Platoon - Baltimore Platoon - Noel Blanchet - 1221 TPE

This was a fantastic pick. The third highest TPE earner overall and the highest TPE center of the entire draft  It's interesting to note that while Blanchett was taken behind Two that he's actually outearned TPE wise so far.  Overall, Baltimore did a very good job with these two picks. It's also worth noting that both San Fransico and Hamilton traded this pick away. That might make Blanchet the steal of the draft.

Grade: A+

5.  Steelhawks - Hamilton Steelhawks - Dogwood Maple - 1212 TPE

As it turns out, Hamilton didn't do too terrible in the center department this draft as they took Dogwood Maple with this pick. Maple is the second-highest earning center of this draft and sixth overall. It's a solid pick slightly hampered by the trade that happened in front of.

6.  Specters  - New Orleans Specters -  Friedensreich Hundertwasser - 1219 TPE

A great pick here by New Orleans. Friedensreich is the highest-earning right-wing of the entire draft class and the fourth highest player overall in terms of TPE. Fantastic pick here by New Orleans.

Grade: A-

7.  Stampede  - Buffalo Stampede - Bean Beanman - 1109 TPE

This is a fairly questionable pick. Beanman is nineteenth overall in terms of TPE so he was definitely a bit of a  reach. There's also quite a few other defensemen ahead of him so this pick is going to get a pretty low grade.

Grade: C+

8. Barracuda - Tampa Bay Barracuda - Finn Vonn Murphenstein - 1215 TPE

This is a better pick for Tampa Bay than their first overall pick. Murphenstein is fifth overall in terms of total TPE and the second-highest right defenseman of the class by TPE. He's also earned twenty-seven then his teammate and first overall pick Luc Blouin.

Grade: A

9.  Inferno - Atlanta Inferno - Pavel Jeziak - 1113 TPE

Pavel is seventeenth overall in TPE in the class so I'm going to rate this as a relatively mediocre pick overall. It's not a horrible pick but it's certainly not one to write home about.

10.  Dragons - Calgary Dragons - Richard LaFleur - 1151 TPE

A lot of right defensemen were taken in the first round of this draft. LaFleur is sixteenth overall in terms of TPE. I think there were better players available at other positions so I'm going to give this a low grade.

Grade:  C

11.  Inferno - Atlanta Inferno - Puddles O'Duck  - 1235 TPE

The highest TPE earner in the class comes off the board at eleventh. What an absolute steal by the Inferno here. This is probably the best steal of the entire draft and maybe one of the best steals in the history of the SHL. It's a home run pick for the Infernos. Easy A plus.

12. Specters - New Orleans Specters - Nikolaj Boyle - 1152 TPE

The first left-wing is off the board and it's a rather unspectacular one. Boyle isn't terrible but he's the third-highest TPE left-wing in the class but the first one who was taken. The Specters obviously could've done a bit better with this pick.

13.  Renegades - Texas Renegades - Basil Sivart - 939 TPE

This is a mediocre pick to me. Another right defenseman is off the board and this one has less than a thousand TPE.  Basil is twenty-fifth overall in terms of total TPE so I'm going to say this was not the pick Texas should've made here.

14.  Specters - New Orleans Specters -  Ole Olson - 1210 TPE

Someone finally thought to take a left defenseman and it paid off. Olson is the second-highest left defenseman by total TPE  and seventh overall. This is a great pick this late in the first round.

15. Aurora - Winnipeg Aurora - Zayne Rotzuba - 738 TPE

From one great left defenseman to a terrible one. Rotzuba is thirty-second overall in TPE. The good news for Winnipeg is that he is still active.

Grade: C-

16.  Stampede -  Buffalo Stampede - Billy Brooks  - 1113 TPE

Brooks is eighteenth overall in terms of TPE. He's ahead of fellow teammate and classmate Bean Beanman despite Beanman being taken at seventh overall in this daft. He's another right defenseman so Buffalo took two right defensemen in the first round of this draft. This is a hard pick to grade. It's not terrible but it's far from spectacular at the same time.

17 .  Wolfpack - New England Wolfpack - Jonny Tsunami - 1183 TPE

A great steal here. Jonny was taken seventeenth overall but tenth overall in total TPE and the highest-earning left-wing of the entire draft. Fantastic steal here by the Wolfpack. Probably the second-best of the first round.

18.  Rage - Manhattan Rage - Tomas Lind - 1179 TPE

Another left-wing off the board, we get back-to-back leftwing to finish off the first round of this draft. Lind a solid pick as he's the second highest-earning left-wing of the entire draft. When you see a pick like this, you have to question why there was such a run on the right defenseman earlier in the draft. Positional value versus talent is a debate as old as time, however.

So there we have the first round of the season fifty-eight SHL entry drafts completed and reviewed. I would say Jonny Tsunami and Puddles O'Duck were the two best steals of this round and  Gregory Goode and Zayne Rotzuba were the worst two picks of this round. Thank you for reading,  I may dive into the second round of this draft at a later date or the first round of another draft.

Quote:1,113 words

11-30-2021, 12:45 AMMoreliaSpilota Wrote: So Blouin is top in the season fifty-eight class in terms of TPE which is slightly disappointing for a player that went first overall.
Isnt getting the top earner at first literally the best you can do?

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

11-30-2021, 04:48 AMtrella Wrote:
11-30-2021, 12:45 AMMoreliaSpilota Wrote: So Blouin is top in the season fifty-eight class in terms of TPE which is slightly disappointing for a player that went first overall.
Should have just passed smh

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

Fine, i'll start updating again.

[Image: lebbish.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2021, 09:32 PM by Redderder15.)

11-30-2021, 04:48 AMtrella Wrote:
There's a bunch of guys higher than him so im guessing it's supposed to say top-10 or something

Links: Updates | Player Page | Bank

Damn Autodraft Confused

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Fun write up but I honestly think the Hamilton grade for Dogwood is low. When you consider that Hamilton was a team in the middle of a dynasty, and drafted what is likely going to be a franchise C, I think it's hard to say that's anything but an A. They literally could not have picked a better Center at that position since it was only Dogwood and Blanchet in that top C discussion. Otherwise I think it's all pretty fair. Funny to call Zayne Rotsbua terrible though haha. You don't see such blatant shots every day .

[Image: RrqOgzL.png]
[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
[Image: yuWLBZB.png]