Create Account

Only live stream a few days a week

This idea fully originates from @Rankle but I wanted to put it out there.

There are a few problems with the current way live streaming works, and they are problems not just for viewers but for simmers.

1) Viewership is low (10 or fewer people)
2) Scheduled sims are inconsistent and hard to catch (see 1)
3) It can take hours before your team actually plays a live simmed game (see 1)
4) Sims are on every day so it feels fine to miss games (see 1)
5) Simmers sometimes feel like no one is watching (and sometimes that is true)
6) Season length has been increasing steadily over the last few years and reigning in the sim schedule can help that
7) It has been tough to replace our more dedicated simmers, despite the rewards for doing it. It's a huge commitment.

What I would like to propose is that, for example, we live stream Tuesday and Thursdays. The other sim days are all quick sims, still streamed for posterity, but obviously much shorter. This would help people open up space in their lives to watch streams, and hopefully rather than 4 views a day for 6 days a week, we can get a more involved stream two days a week.

If you think about it, it makes sense. A given NHL team usually only plays 2 to 3 days a week. The majority of NHL viewers, i would assume, are catching a game every couple of days, because otherwise it's a bit of a massive commitment to set aside 9 to 12 hours a week to watch a game. One of the aspects that doesn't quite work here is that the NHL can play 4 games at once, whereas we are only ever able to sim in sequence. If there were a way to replay games we could certainly get around that by simming conferences concurrently. Alas.

But, it's a good rule of thumb when you're talking about viewership. You cant overload them. FOMO can be powerful, but it can also be a deterrent to ever attempting to make space for it. "Well whats the point, I have missed 4 days in a row, whats another day?".

This should in theory help simmers feel like their job is more important and enjoyable, since they have an audience to play to and their color commentary (if it exists) is being heard. Props to those of you trying to spice it up. When simmers are happy, we should be happy as well. It also helps us find simmers more easily, since we can advertise far shorter streams 3 or 4 days a week. An hour to quick sim a day. That way people who are actually able to stream for 3 hours only have to do it a few days a week.

------------

As an aside, slightly different topic, I think there are many of us who don't watch the streams but catch highlights in discord as they happen (or after). I know at least in tampa there's usually someone relaying goals as they happen for those of us at work or otherwise incapacitated. All that to say, viewership is slightly higher than the twitch/youtube count suggests. Many of us are cheering on in the distance. Just like any sport, there are far more people on board with the IDEA of fandom than are actually practicing.

Because we have access to discord announcement channels, it might be cool to have a play-by-play channel relaying scores and assists for live streamed games (or even quick sim results). This is a separate idea, but I think many of us would be appreciative if we could monitor a game over actually watching it.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

On the off days If the simmer is still quick simming the games and going through the box scores for the GMs to capture there games, this is a pretty good idea.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

12-09-2021, 11:35 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: As an aside, slightly different topic, I think there are many of us who don't watch the streams but catch highlights in discord as they happen (or after). I know at least in tampa there's usually someone relaying goals as they happen for those of us at work or otherwise incapacitated. All that to say, viewership is slightly higher than the twitch/youtube count suggests. Many of us are cheering on in the distance. Just like any sport, there are far more people on board with the IDEA of fandom than are actually practicing.

Because we have access to discord announcement channels, it might be cool to have a play-by-play channel relaying scores and assists for live streamed games (or even quick sim results). This is a separate idea, but I think many of us would be appreciative if we could monitor a game over actually watching it.

I find it funny how this is basically the evolution of the PbP.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

12-09-2021, 11:46 AMartermis Wrote:
12-09-2021, 11:35 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: As an aside, slightly different topic, I think there are many of us who don't watch the streams but catch highlights in discord as they happen (or after). I know at least in tampa there's usually someone relaying goals as they happen for those of us at work or otherwise incapacitated. All that to say, viewership is slightly higher than the twitch/youtube count suggests. Many of us are cheering on in the distance. Just like any sport, there are far more people on board with the IDEA of fandom than are actually practicing.

I find it funny how this is basically the evolution of the PbP.

well good because the PbP was fucking awesome

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

Also please do not spread the playoffs so long. It doesn't need to take more than a week and if your team doesn't make it or gets eliminated it's really easy to be checked out

I used to watch the streams when they were on earlier in the day, because now it's usually impossible for many of us in Europe to catch them. At the same time I understand that more people in NA can watch them when the streams are on in the evening due to work. I'm often just too lazy to watch on demand and just check the index for results instead.

So yes, if it helps everyone, more quick sims or fewer sim days sounds like an option.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

I made it a point to join other sim leagues just to see how they do things. I still think the PBE has the best stream setup. There is incentive to watch some games. For those unfamiliar, you earn channel points for watching. They then run polls randomly through stream which you can bet those points on to possibly win more (or lose if you're like me). The points can be turned in for PBE money. I agree with the above suggestion that if you are going to drag sims out for so long everyday then there has to be reason, if not then quick sim more.

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]

12-09-2021, 12:04 PMVaxlare Wrote: I made it a point to join other sim leagues just to see how they do things. I still think the PBE has the best stream setup. There is incentive to watch some games. For those unfamiliar, you earn channel points for watching. They then run polls randomly through stream which you can bet those points on to possibly win more (or lose if you're like me). The points can be turned in for PBE money. I agree with the above suggestion that if you are going to drag sims out for so long everyday then there has to be reason, if not then quick sim more.

that is some twitch shenanigans, yeah? I wouldnt be opposed to that, especially since media and graphics can be offputting to some

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

12-09-2021, 12:13 PMPremierBromanov Wrote:
12-09-2021, 12:04 PMVaxlare Wrote: I made it a point to join other sim leagues just to see how they do things. I still think the PBE has the best stream setup. There is incentive to watch some games. For those unfamiliar, you earn channel points for watching. They then run polls randomly through stream which you can bet those points on to possibly win more (or lose if you're like me). The points can be turned in for PBE money. I agree with the above suggestion that if you are going to drag sims out for so long everyday then there has to be reason, if not then quick sim more.

that is some twitch shenanigans, yeah? I wouldnt be opposed to that, especially since media and graphics can be offputting to some
To be clear, it's a very inefficient and shitty way to make money that's worthwhile for anything beyond paying for training once in a while. But, it incentivizes watching and tbh the games are already live so I don't know why we couldn't move to Twitch without a hitch

12-09-2021, 12:15 PMunconfident69 Wrote:
12-09-2021, 12:13 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: that is some twitch shenanigans, yeah? I wouldnt be opposed to that, especially since media and graphics can be offputting to some
To be clear, it's a very inefficient and shitty way to make money that's worthwhile for anything beyond paying for training once in a while. But, it incentivizes watching and tbh the games are already live so I don't know why we couldn't move to Twitch without a hitch

same as twitter, tbh.

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG

There's definitely some merit to this, would love input from the sim team.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

12-09-2021, 11:52 AMPremierBromanov Wrote:
12-09-2021, 11:46 AMartermis Wrote: I find it funny how this is basically the evolution of the PbP.

well good because the PbP was fucking awesome

I never had a problem with them, and I think I might prefer PbP's to sims, but it's funny with how vocal some were against PbP's and how insistent they were we move to simming.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2021, 06:55 PM by luke.)

12-09-2021, 12:15 PMunconfident69 Wrote:
12-09-2021, 12:13 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: that is some twitch shenanigans, yeah? I wouldnt be opposed to that, especially since media and graphics can be offputting to some

To answer why we arent on twitch. The biggest reason is because Twitch VOD system sucks ass. And youtube you can keep VODS up forever and ever.

To answer why its streamed. Mainly so you can get boxscores. Hopefully if we switch to FHM8 and have boxscores in the index itself we can look towards having quick sims and livestreams sometimes

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]