Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #1 - Detroit Falcons & Regina Elk
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2021, 12:29 AM by leafs1997.)

Uncounted Preface: Alright I admit that the Deep Dive is an interesting concept to me as someone who comes from other simulated sports leagues without any knowledge about hockey. Well I know a bit about Gretzky, but I do not think that is enough to really help me out here. That said I am a solid learner of subjects and courtesy of some help from my new team I do believe I have a concept that will qualify that I can also properly cover. According to the Deep Dive Rules and Guidelines analyzing positional strengths and weaknesses will qualify and I think I can do that.
Also note that all of the following is judging strictly by the numbers and not on the users in question. So do not feel slighted if a player is poorly rated by the system.
All that said I will be using a custom calculator spreadsheet that gives role ratings based on the key attributes guideline that has been presented to me and I am not currently able to share the secret sauce for that as Google sheets and I are not on speaking terms given my current computer. Would be happy to share screenshots of it if needed to clarify where my ratings are coming from. Please approve this though as I am a poor person here and need all the help I can get.
Thank you ever so much for your time and I hope that you have an astoundingly great day!

Now for this deep dive I am going to cover the Detroit Falcons and the Regina Elk courtesy of their appearance in the first SMJHL Primetime. Given my limited time I am just going to be comparing their defenses as someone who prioritizes a good defense and someone who thinks that defenses need more love. However I will not be covering goalies as their attributes are abnormal and harder for me to categorize. Now introduction out of the way I am going to dive into the Detroit Falcons first on account of my love of alphabetization.

Starting with Left Defense Clem Fandango who has prioritized Shooting Range, Offensive Read, Defensive Read, and Speed which are all at 15 for them. The role they fit best according to my calculations is Rushing Defender where they get a score 123.4, although close behind are Shutdown Defender at 122.24 and Two-Way Defender at 122. Their total attributes reach 273 and between the two I would say they are the best defender of the Falcons.

Next on our list for the Falcons is Left Defense Dirty Boots whose priority appears to be Passing as their lone 15, followed by Offensive Read, Defensive Read, and Stamina all at 14. They have a grand total of 263 attributes with a leaning towards Old-School Defender where they have a rating of 121.64, although close behind are Quarterback at 121.36 and Two-Way Defender at 121. Overall another well balanced higher tier defender for the J I would say.

Last of the left side is Left Defense Vasily Arkhangelsky who appears to gone with a far more balanced approach with Checking, Hitting, Shot Blocking, Defensive Read, Balance, Stamina, Strength, and Bravery all tied at 14 for their best attributes. That gives them a trio of fitting roles with the best fit being Punishing Defender at 121.36, followed by Crease-Clearing Defender at 120.4, and Old-School Defender at 119.6. Combined with a total attributes of 265 and I would say this is a terrific trio covering the left side for Detroit.

We are now onto the right side starting with Right Defense Aka Ralfonso who is a decently balanced type with Getting Open, Shooting Range, and Stamina all tied at 13 as their key attributes. Understandably they have a lower total attributes of just 237, but they have placed them exceptionally well to fill the role of Point Shooter with a rating of 110 which is a full 4 higher than their next best role of Quarterback to show they know where their money is made.

Second on this side is Right Defense King Rhames who is probably the most balanced of all of them with eleven attributes tied at 12 for their best attribute giving them a good total of 242. Honestly would be easier to list their lowest attributes as Getting Open and Faceoffs are both at 5, and Aggression and Bravery at 8 are the only other single digit attributes. This gives them an incredibly well balanced profile to the point they have two positions tied at 105.68 with Stay-at-Home Defender and Old-School Defender. Also have Crease-Clearing Defender at 105.2 and Two-Way Defender at 104 to show they are versatile nough to fill in just about anywhere.

Last and maybe least for Detroit is Right Defense Red Tarkington who has focused on Shooting Range as their sole 13 ranked attribute. They have the lowest total attributes at 229 and that also explains their lowest role rating of just 100 at Point Shooter, although they would also make a solid Shutdown Defender with a rating of 99.88. Given they are 8 attribute points shy of the next defender and 5 rating shy I would say they have the most to improve upon, but honestly with a role rating of 100 by my calculator I would say they are certainly solid at the least.

Starting us off for the Regina Elk is Left Defense San-sam Emerson whose priority appears to be Offensive Reading and Stamina with a tie at 14 for their primary attributes. They have a strong total attribute of 257 though that means they have a solid amount of spread with only a handful of attributes in the single digits. Still their focus leads them to be categorized as a Quarterback by my system with a rating of 116.72, and close behind are Point Shooter at 116, Two-Way Defender at 115, and Playmaking Defender at 114.68. Now that is a solid set of stats I would say, however I feel it necessary to note they are the sole tagged left defender on the team and I feel like that leaves something to be desired.

Now for the other side with Right Defense Chris Chelios Jr to start us off and their highly focused Shot Blocking at 15 two higher than any of their other attributes. Still a solid total attributes of 242, but their focus leads them to be classified purely as an Old-School Defender by my system with a rating of 110.6.

Second on this side is Right Defense Theo Berglund who similarly has a high of 15, but has spread it around to Passing, Puck Handling, and Strength to make for a strong offensive build. The calculator agrees with me giving them the role of Playmaking Defender at a rating of 122.24 followed by Quarterback at 121.64. Between their leaning and the overall lack of defenders on the team I get the feeling the Regina Elk like to focus on firepower first and foremost. Still total attributes of 260 mean even with the strong focus they can get the job done elsewhere as the overall highest rated defender on the team.

One last defender for the Elk is Right Defense Titanus Mosurawho has a lovely name at the very least. They also have a solid approach to building defense I would say with Checking, Hitting, Defensive Reading, Balance, and Stamina all tied for their top attribute at 13. A total attributes of 248 gives them a solid variety of well ranked roles, however the favorites are Shutdown Defender at 113.52 and Crease-Clearing Defender at 112.2.

Now those are all ten defenders between the two teams and so given one team has six I think it safe to say the Falcons have the better defense, however just for good measure a couple comparisons to solidify that fact. Elk's best defender comes in at a 260 total and 122.24 role rating courtesy of my custom calculator. By comparison the Falcons have three defenders with 263 or more attributes and 121.36 or better role ratings by my metric. Now to be fair to the Elk their worst defender who weighs in at a 242 total and 110.6 role would be the fourth best defender on the Falcons given their next best comes in at 237 total and 110 role.

Since this is supposed to be analyzing positional strengths and weaknesses though I will add in a bit more just to be safe. That said Detroit's three best are a Rushing Defender, Old-School Defender, and Punishing Defender. With the other half being two Point Shooters and a Stay-At-Home Defender. Overall I say that gives them a good blend of options as far as what they want to do with their defenders and should make that side of the puck a strong one for them.

The Regina Elk meanwhile have their two biggest stars as Quarterback and Playmaking Defender. They do also have an Old-School Defender and Shutdown Defender to handle that side of things. However given they only have four defenders and two of them lean offense I think the Elk as they are would best be suited as an offense oriented team. A quick glance at their Goalie situation suggests they are decent in that department at least.

Now I did all that looking only to now think to check the index to look at how the defenses actually performed and Detroit is somehow the worst. A quick glance at their roster to see they lack a capped Goalie and a look at their low scoring offense suggests that perhaps having strong defenders is not enough. That said I do not know enough about hockey to really say, but I can say looking back at all this it makes realize just how much there is that I do not know about it. Maybe the league will make me fall in love with the sport and that will change, but as it stands this deep dive looking for sunken treasure came back with nothing but leeches. Hopefully my next voyage does better.

Thank you for your time once again, special third thanks if you actually read all this deep diving, and either way once again we wish you an astoundingly great day!

Code:
Word Count: 1462

Tesla Anaheim Outlaws analysis when? Smile

[Image: CnPenxE.png]

@Tesla APPROVED! +5 TPE

[Image: leafs1997.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]