Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #2 - Quebec City Citadelles - Onward
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2021, 06:40 AM by Opera_Phantom.)

Quebec City started the season quite strong usually floating near the top teams but as the season went on they were plagued by inconsistency.  I think this was just a matter of other teams improving and catching up rather than the Citadelles regressing.  There’s a lot to look forward to in the next few seasons as they sold off a few big pieces before the trade deadline, looking to build a better future.  There are quite a few key pieces in place next season and if they draft well, the sky is the limit.

Konstantin Selich was the one constant with 68 points and had the team on his back at times.  Greyson Cooper had 55 points and Sophomores Brady Bertrand and Aksel Fiske came on strong toward the end of the season with both going over 40 points.  With Cooper gone next season and things still up in the air with Selich, Quebec will be looking to Bertrand and Fiske to lead the firepower for the Citadelles.  I believe both will be up to the challenge and I expect huge things from both of them next season.
The other players that would have been gone next season anyway were already jettisoned for future draft picks so that was a very smart move by management.  Rather than go all in on this season for a Cup, they spread the eggs to different baskets.

Elsewhere on defense , Yankovic, Kjellsson, and Gardner lead the way blocking shots.  I think leadership may look to invest in defense in the next draft if they don’t go for best pick available again.

The two rookies had mixed results.  Bodhi Utah lead the rookie scoring race for the first part of the season before regressing to a more normal pace.  Lucas Arnold was a presence on the ice but seems to have ghosted the locker room right after being drafted.  If he returns he can still make something of himself but he probably won’t be back right now.  I’d expect a bigger injection of youth over the next two seasons.

While they finished in 10th place overall and exited the playoffs early, there really isn’t any pessimism among the group.  This team appears to enjoy themselves and know what breeds success.  If they can continue to draft well and find the right group of people, I’d expect them to be back near the top in a season or two.

There’s plenty to criticize on the ice but also plenty to praise.  Even if they lose Selich, this team will not be broken down.  There are plenty of people ready to step into those leadership roles.  I certainly wouldn’t give them an A for the season, but their outlook seems to be positive right now.  They just need to continue to improve and keep their players motivated.  That shouldn’t be too hard.  I don’t think anyone is itching to be called up looking at the mess that is the SHL right now.  The J is certainly the more fun league and the Citadelles are one of the fun teams.  Onward.

Quote:514 Words

Hey grader if this isn't acceptable just PM me and I'll do another.

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

Approved!

+5 TPE @Leoben