Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #2 - Newfoundland Berserkers
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2021, 05:32 AM by Opera_Phantom.)

Uncounted Preface: Alright I admit that the Deep Dive is an interesting concept to me as someone who comes from other simulated sports leagues without any knowledge about hockey. Well I know a bit about Gretzky, but I do not think that is enough to really help me out here. That said I am a solid learner of subjects and courtesy of some help from my new team I do believe I have a concept that will qualify that I can also properly cover. According to the Deep Dive Rules and Guidelines analyzing positional strengths and weaknesses will qualify and I think I can do that.
Also note that all of the following is judging strictly by the numbers and not on the users in question. So do not feel slighted if a player is poorly rated by the system.
All that said I will be using a custom calculator spreadsheet that gives role ratings based on the key attributes guideline that has been presented to me and I am not currently able to share the secret sauce for that as Google sheets and I are not on speaking terms given my current computer. Would be happy to share screenshots of it if needed to clarify where my ratings are coming from. Please approve this though as I am a poor person here and need all the help I can get.
Thank you ever so much for your time and I hope that you have an amazingly enjoyable day!

Originally I was going to do a comparison of the other two teams from the first Primetime, but after ending my last article with the realization that I analyzed the defenses of two of the teams that allowed the most goals and the third most goals I figured I should look at the team that allowed the fewest to see what makes them so special. Also in part because I went well over the required word count last time and so hopefully I can keep it more manageable so as to be easier to grade. So now I am going to do a deep dive of the Newfoundland Berserkers. A terrific team who I can note at first glance has more players than the first two teams I looked at and I feel like that probably had something to do with their success. A larger team suggests more success based on my knowledge of stamina at least, but based on last time I also know I know nothing. That said the other teams I looked at had 3 and 6 defenders respectively and Newfoundland has 7 or 8 if you count the recent create.

Going to handle this alphabetically and that means starting with the ridiculously well rounded Left Defense Devin Williams-I who despite not having an attribute over 13 reached a total of 235. Their specialty being nonexistent with about ten attributes tied for first place, but those attributes lend themselves well to being a Shutdown Defender where they clock in at a strong 117.

Magical Left Defense Merlin Metzler is second on the list and they have a solid focus with courtesy of checking and defensive read tying at 15 for their primary attributes. Beyond that they have a grand total of 250 attributes that lend themselves to being a shutdown defender with a high rating of 124.56.

Third alphabetically is Left Defense Rand al'Thor whose specialty is shooting range at 15 a full two higher than any other attribute. They still reach a strong total of 247 attributes though that qualify them to be a 119 ranked point shooter. The last of the left defenders suggests to me that a balanced approach in the types of players you have is optimal, and so I can say I appreciate the lack of a strong meta in the J.

Starting off the right side is Right Defense Jannik Nordstern who honestly terrifies me looking at them relative to all the other people that I have looked at thus far. The majority of their attributes are comfortably in double digits to lead to a 271 total attributes, but are also exceptionally placed with 15 in checking and defensive read. The way they play leads to them being the highest rated player by my methodology with a 129.2 as a Shutdown Defender that is sure to strike fear into the hearts of scorers. If the rest of the right side is as ridiculous then I will completely understand why they were able to assemble the best defense this season.

Second on the right alphabetically Right Defense Jay O'Neil may disprove my theory of a lack of meta given their similar focus in checking and defensive read at 15. That said the rest of their 249 attributes lend them to be similarly well rated at 126, however at crease-clearing defender instead of shutdown where they rate at just 122.52. Overall their left side is strong, but the right side is somehow even stronger so far which explains their success.

Right Defense Mikko Rashford is unique among all the defenders on the team with 15 puckhandling as their sole superior attribute out of all of their 249 assigned. What really makes them special though is their tie for role being rated at a strong 121.36 at both playmaking defender and quarterback. Despite being defense oriented in positional name they have what it takes to contribute on offense and I fully expect them to bring up the overall value of the team with two 120+ rated roles to provide some versatility.

Final member of the regular starters is another elite player in Right Defense SD Core whose name is delightful. Their lack of specialization with 254 attributes and a high of 14 has led them to a terrific 120 rating for the two-way defender role and that overall suggests to me that a balanced approach is best in the J at least. Which is something that I love to learn. Also learned that you really want to have people at 120+ rating by metric to have a stalwart defense.

Last but certainly not least is Right Defense Luca Hunziker who from my understanding joined later in the season explaining their lower 218 total attributes. What makes them frightening though is their peak attribute of 14 hitting that makes them well suited to be a crease-clearing defender where they rank in at a good 110. Even their newest recruit has a rating of 110+ which just suggests to me an absolutely impregnable defense.

Overall I would say what I learned from diving into this is that a good overall attribute is probably the biggest key, but that specializing towards a specific role can do wonders as well. Essentially what I learned is at the J optimization floor and ceiling aren't that far apart as long as you listen to the recommendation not to break a 15. Honestly getting everything up to 13ish seems like a smart strategy.

So okay that is my project for the final deep dive and I can say maybe I know a little more about how to judge things than when I started. Thank you for joining me on this journey and I hope you have an amazing day!

Code:
Word Count: 958

Approved!

+5 TPE @Tesla