Create Account

S62 State of the Union

Hey everyone! After missing last season, we’re back with our 5th State of the Union since I took over as SHL Commissioner. Writing this is always a big task every offseason and one that I have thus far found really worthy of the amount of effort that goes into creating it. It’s really our best way of getting in touch with you all and giving you updates that don’t need/aren’t necessarily ready for their own big post quite yet, and also lets us hear from the community as we gear up to make changes for the site. It’s also good for us as it allows us to make public a lot of what we’ve been working on, which really forces us to turn around new ideas faster once we see the site is in favour and wants to see what the future holds. If this is your first time seeing one of these, welcome! We value the opinions and thoughts of all our community members, so even if you’re new here don’t be shy to read through this and chuck your opinions in for discussion, we love hearing from you guys. If you HAVE seen one of these before, you know the drill. We’re gonna provide updates on past topics, pose some new questions/ideas, and ultimately keep you guys informed on everything Head Office as of right now. Let’s jump into it!

General League News

Condensing the Season
When we announced our new regression changes just a short while ago, a lot of people came to us with really valid comments regarding TPE inflation’s correlation with the length of the season, specifically the offseason, allowing users to accumulate more TPE from training and ACs in between seasons. We hear those complaints and we’re currently close to a final solution: a condensed, 8 week schedule that will follow an identical structure from season to season. This was an idea that originally started back when Luke was my Co-Commissioner, and we’re happy to announce that we’re very close to being able to implement this in a way that is fair and balanced between the time the SHL needs, as well as working with @BadWolf to make it fair to the SMJHLs needs as well. Below, you’ll see what the structure looks like:

[Image: SHL_Schedule.PNG]

Using this model, we’ll be able to plan multiple seasons, with draft dates and trade deadlines set months in advance, and keeping the season to the bare minimum number of days. In addition to tackling TPE inflation, this should also allow us to keep people’s interest more steadily, as we should experience much shorter lulls in the offseason, with something basically always going on. The only unfortunate news I bring with this update is that we won’t be able to implement it right away, mainly because the holiday season is the only time of year that maintaining this 8 week season becomes virtually impossible (ex. Juniors draft falling on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve if we were to follow the schedule right now, for example), but we’ve always taken a break around this time of year to allow people to spend time with family. We’re gonna be going full force into this new schedule in the new year, with really the only things left to finalize is how we’re going to keep the playoffs down to a semi predictable length of days every season, as well as how international sim hockey will fit into this. Regardless, we hope you guys look forward to this!

Appeals Committee
A lot of you pitched this idea, and we heard you loud and clear! The state of punishments is primarily a pretty okay one when the situations are cut and dry (cap overages, double traded picks, conduct punishments etc.), but SHL HO, and the Owners appeals process has obviously struggled when we’re presented with new situations that force us to move into uncharted territory discussion-wise. The reality of the current situation is that when dealing with situations where we have to create a new precedent, or explore an undiscussed topic, we’re not always going to get it right, and the site ownership takes a lot of the brunt of the site’s ire for coming out and making a ruling, when their numbers are very limited.

With all this said, we’re moving forward in the near future of implementing a team for managing appeals on both the SHL and SMJHL level. Right now, the appeals process is rather informal, basically seeing the punished party turning in a doc explaining why they feel their punishment is unfair, and the owners + commissioners discussing this new evidence, and ultimately turning in a decision on a majority rules voting system. While this system has not always been bad, in its current state we felt it makes the site feel a bit unheard and removed from the process. Our goal with the Appeals Committee is to assemble a team, overseen by both BadWolf and I, and headed by the owners, but also consisting of active, highly engaged users from a differents teams, divisions and conferences, to formalize the appeals process, ensure discussion of submitted appeals is thorough, and ultimately give some power back to the people to uphold (or amend) decisions in a way that they feel is fair. There’s still areas of this we need to figure out/finalize, such as payscale, term limits, the selection process, how to avoid cut and dry punishments finding their way into the appeals process, but this is a decision we’re confident will benefit the whole site and give you all a chance to be the change you want to see in the site. Keep your eyes peeled for a hiring post in the near future, and if this is a job on the site that interests you, don’t be afraid to reach out to any of us in HO.

The FHM Knowledge Gap/Parity Pt. 300
Yup, we’re visiting this topic again. As you are all aware given our recent regression changes, parity is still very much a topic on the mind of HO. We’ve seen the state of the league the last little while, and while we’ve taken our steps to improve it as much as we can through expansion, contract changes, regression changes, update scale changes, and more, we’re very aware that our work in this area is not finished, and we’re gonna have to put in a lot more legwork to see the changes we want to see in the site’s parity situation. We talked about condensing the schedule above to reduce the issues with TPE Inflation, but after having many conversations both in and out of Head Office, the number one issue that makes parity a lofty goal right now is the gap in knowledge about FHM amongst our GMs. It’s no secret that the SHL’s top franchises when it comes to in-sim success are able to succeed because of the strength of their front office’s knowledge about the sim and the way it works. STHS was a much simpler beast to understand, and that simplicity allowed users to enter GM jobs with a certain degree of confidence, even if it was their first time. Not so with FHM. FHM’s wealth of options has been a blessing in the ability to create team identity, but it can also be extremely daunting for new users to learn just what works and what doesn’t. We’ve seen this impact parity obviously, but it's also reduced the number of users who have taken interest in GM jobs, and left a lot of teams a step behind the competition, even when they do an excellent job in managing their resources and rebuilding.

This has been a topic of discussion since the very start of the S62 Season, and the reality is that there are so many avenues we can take to fix this, so we’re still in the process of figuring out what the best route is. We’ve talked limiting options available in FHM to make it feel less daunting, we’ve discussed reintroducing player archetypes (though admittedly this one is a bit of a longshot due to the list of complications it brings), and we’ve looked at educating and creating guides regarding FHM’s more complex areas to hopefully equip new GMs with some proper foundations before jumping in. We also have another announcement pending within the next few days that our testing and research has shown will be a massive step forward to fixing this problem, and though I can’t say too much right now, we’ll have some more answers very soon. The short answer is we don’t have a set in stone solution just yet, but we want you to know this is a topic that is actively and seriously in discussion, and we hope to provide you all with more information in the very near future.

The Offseason Poll is Back!
Lastly for general league news, this offseason we’re bringing back the offseason poll! In seasons past, the offseason poll has gifted us a lot of knowledge from you as a community that we otherwise don’t get very often, and really helps us put a lot of our ideas into perspective, and see where we can improve things, both within our team, and in other areas of the site that need our support. There’s not much else to say here beyond telling you all to keep your eyes peeled for that in the coming weeks! We’ll be discussing things like parity (duh), job pay scales, satisfaction with various departments, general philosophical questions about the league’s health and some of the problems it currently faces, as well as some more wacky and out there ideas like the thought process behind adding 4th lines. @Rangerjase is putting that together as you read this, so it should be up very soon!

GM-Related News

Draftee Rights No More/Hello Standardized ELCs!
After a few seasons of the current draftee rights system, initially put into place to make GMs more responsible for the players they draft, balance out the way top teams can hang onto prospects while fielding highly competitive rosters, and give draftees some autonomy, we’re moving forward with a new idea that we think is both much simpler and actually addresses the problem at hand much better. When the draftee rights system was initially introduced, it worked really well in a vacuum, but really started to show its cracks once put into practical usage, especially with how it interacted with more of the gray areas of the rulebook.

Because of this, we’re pleased to announce standardized ELCs as the newest plan to tackle this issue! Basically the rule will read as follows:

Code:
Players who are drafted to the SHL will automatically be signed to a 1 year, $3,000,000 deal for their first contract in the SHL. This contract will take the player to RFA at its conclusion and will not count towards their team’s salary cap.

The problems we want to solve with this rule are many, but the gist of it is that we want to avoid the problem we’ve had of late where we see active players being left on the board, while also making teams more responsible for players they draft, as opposed to hoarding players from the draft just to keep them in their system without signing them. The 1 season deal not counting against the cap will help GMs feel more comfortable taking every player available on the draft board, but by making it so that they’re carried into RFA, with every contract from then on counting towards their cap, it also ensures that GMs are responsible for ensuring that they properly manage their budget as their draftees enter their second season and beyond. Taking them to RFA will also potentially see an uptick in offersheets, as well as GMs moving players (either prospects or players on the roster), to manage their budget ahead of the offseason. Obviously this change will make an impact on a few different systems on the site, so we’re looking into reworking a few of the rulebook’s areas to prepare for this change (ex. Tweaking the way offersheeting works, to prevent teams from getting free assets from other teams when losing a player they had no intention of signing to begin with). We think that as a whole this system will be much easier to follow than the draftee rights system, while also achieving the same goals it was initially supposed to.

Shl

And that wraps up this season’s State of the Union! Before we close, I just wanna take this time to thank everyone on the site who has been such a part of making this site as amazing of a place as it has always been. I’ve been dealing with some personal issues in my life that has made my time as SHL Commissioner the last little while a bit more difficult, and I’ve been very fortunate to be surrounded by a team of HO members who have been able to ease things when life gets hard. All that said, despite the IRL complications, I can feel things getting back on track, and the strength and passion of this community is what makes me want to get back to the level of excellence I’ve tried to hold myself to in HO. I don’t know if I’d still be in this job if not for wonderful people like you (the girl reading this ❤️). Thanks for being with us so far, we’re excited for the future, and we hope you’ll be there with us then too. We’ll be hosting an HO stream where we talk a bit more about this and field some questions in about a week’s time, but until then leave your thoughts and ideas below, and we’ll talk soon!

On behalf of the SHL Head Office
nour

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

Okay but why don't you care about the SHL?

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

12-18-2021, 09:34 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Okay but why don't you care about the SHL?

The what?

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

<3

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

Love the changes.

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

12-18-2021, 09:32 PMnour Wrote: Draftee Rights No More/Hello Standardized ELCs!
After a few seasons of the current draftee rights system, initially put into place to make GMs more responsible for the players they draft, balance out the way top teams can hang onto prospects while fielding highly competitive rosters, and give draftees some autonomy, we’re moving forward with a new idea that we think is both much simpler and actually addresses the problem at hand much better. When the draftee rights system was initially introduced, it worked really well in a vacuum, but really started to show its cracks once put into practical usage, especially with how it interacted with more of the gray areas of the rulebook.

Because of this, we’re pleased to announce standardized ELCs as the newest plan to tackle this issue! Basically the rule will read as follows:

Code:
Players who are drafted to the SHL will automatically be signed to a 1 year, $3,000,000 deal for their first contract in the SHL. This contract will take the player to RFA at its conclusion and will not count towards their team’s salary cap.

The problems we want to solve with this rule are many, but the gist of it is that we want to avoid the problem we’ve had of late where we see active players being left on the board, while also making teams more responsible for players they draft, as opposed to hoarding players from the draft just to keep them in their system without signing them. The 1 season deal not counting against the cap will help GMs feel more comfortable taking every player available on the draft board, but by making it so that they’re carried into RFA, with every contract from then on counting towards their cap, it also ensures that GMs are responsible for ensuring that they properly manage their budget as their draftees enter their second season and beyond. Taking them to RFA will also potentially see an uptick in offersheets, as well as GMs moving players (either prospects or players on the roster), to manage their budget ahead of the offseason. Obviously this change will make an impact on a few different systems on the site, so we’re looking into reworking a few of the rulebook’s areas to prepare for this change (ex. Tweaking the way offersheeting works, to prevent teams from getting free assets from other teams when losing a player they had no intention of signing to begin with). We think that as a whole this system will be much easier to follow than the draftee rights system, while also achieving the same goals it was initially supposed to.

Couple of questions on this change. While it may seem pointless, can players reject this contract or refuse this signing? In addition, doesn't this just kick the can down the road? Now the issue of people not being able to fit on a team's budget will happen after this new contract ends and teams release them, or am I misinterpreting this?

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

i'm going to pretend i'm the girl reading this

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

too long, didn’t read.

[Image: ROZESIG.png?ex=6622170a&is=660fa20a&hm=2...height=655]

I’m good how are you?

[Image: Fantobens.gif]

All of this is really good to read but this is by far the most exciting part to me

Quote:We also have another announcement pending within the next few days that our testing and research has shown will be a massive step forward to fixing this problem, and though I can’t say too much right now, we’ll have some more answers very soon. The short answer is we don’t have a set in stone solution just yet, but we want you to know this is a topic that is actively and seriously in discussion, and we hope to provide you all with more information in the very near future.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys have come up with!

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

I hate the condensed season. The length of the season allows you to linger long enough to experience it. You will now be having it fly by.
Might just as well start a game of FHM and press go.

[Image: embros.png]

[Image: ddIlIkT.png]  [Image: qzGJBye.png]
Player Render by Merica

When are we implementing promotion/relegation like the Premier League?

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2021, 11:13 PM by BadWolf. Edit Reason: Spelling error )

12-18-2021, 10:39 PMSabresFan Wrote: I hate the condensed season. The length of the season allows you to linger long enough to experience it. You will now be having it fly by.
Might just as well start a game of FHM and press go.
I would like to mention in reality we only took 4 days out of our typical schedule to come up with this layout. This season has been longer due to the holidays. Hope this helps.

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Can't wait to Pete Rose this stuff and get perma-banned from the HOF Tongue   j/k

How am I supposed to live laugh love in these conditions?

[Image: zayn.png?ex=65e9b101&is=65d73c01&hm=c0f0...y=lossless]
Kyle Sux Lmap