Create Account

S62 State of the Union

Sir this is a Wendy's.

12-18-2021, 09:40 PMACapitalChicago Wrote: Couple of questions on this change. While it may seem pointless, can players reject this contract or refuse this signing? In addition, doesn't this just kick the can down the road? Now the issue of people not being able to fit on a team's budget will happen after this new contract ends and teams release them, or am I misinterpreting this?

So it does kick the can down the road but with good reason, at least in my opinion. Having a week after the draft to negotiate and have a player decide if they are willing to stick with a team is really not much time. In this new scenario you'd have a whole season to figure it out. Gms should have the time to get a better handle on whether a player is getting signed or not. The signing is automatic so players can't reject it. This may create more rfas than before but it creates less unsigned draftees, which is a win.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Keep up the good work HO!

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

12-18-2021, 11:13 PMBadWolf Wrote:
12-18-2021, 10:39 PMSabresFan Wrote: I hate the condensed season. The length of the season allows you to linger long enough to experience it. You will now be having it fly by.
Might just as well start a game of FHM and press go.
I would like to mention in reality we only took 4 days out of our typical schedule to come up with this layout. This season has been longer due to the holidays. Hope this helps.

I admit that I overreacted to say that I hate the change. I'm happy if the offseason is streamlined. I'm just seeing too much discussion of too many changes and then changes handed down that were not discussed openly. It's all just too much churn.

The best thing for me at this point is to look away and remain blissfully ignorant of it all.

[Image: embros.png]

[Image: ddIlIkT.png]  [Image: qzGJBye.png]
Player Render by Merica

I like every single point here except for contract changes, and they are not count against the cap. The 3 mil sure, but not having it count atleast 500k against the cap is ridiculous. Everyone thats under a SHL contract should count against the SHL cap. I know the argument there, that they will have to sign them eventually, but you would be kicking the can down the road, and what happens when they can't sign. Would an offersheet be viable? maybe, but what if the player wants to stay there and the team doesnt have room. they are still an RFA but they could just decline all offers, be an RFA, still do all TPE tasks, and then sign with them next offseason. Would rookies like to go from 3 mil back down to 2.5 mil?

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

12-19-2021, 08:39 AMSabresFan Wrote:
12-18-2021, 11:13 PMBadWolf Wrote: I would like to mention in reality we only took 4 days out of our typical schedule to come up with this layout. This season has been longer due to the holidays. Hope this helps.

I admit that I overreacted to say that I hate the change. I'm happy if the offseason is streamlined. I'm just seeing too much discussion of too many changes and then changes handed down that were not discussed openly. It's all just too much churn.

The best thing for me at this point is to look away and remain blissfully ignorant of it all.

as someone that started the conversation ~6 months ago for condensing the schedule. The purpose was to make a schedule that was consistent. The schedule we were running was about 8.5 weeks long. So it got into the situation where that it would run to 9 weeks as stuff didnt line up correctly. Cutting down the 4 days brings it so that everything has a schedule well in advance (2/3 seasons), instead of taking stuff on a season by season basis.

Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Understood. No worries

[Image: embros.png]

[Image: ddIlIkT.png]  [Image: qzGJBye.png]
Player Render by Merica

12-19-2021, 10:38 AMluketd Wrote:
12-19-2021, 08:39 AMSabresFan Wrote: I admit that I overreacted to say that I hate the change. I'm happy if the offseason is streamlined. I'm just seeing too much discussion of too many changes and then changes handed down that were not discussed openly. It's all just too much churn.

as someone that started the conversation ~6 months ago for condensing the schedule. The purpose was to make a schedule that was consistent. The schedule we were running was about 8.5 weeks long. So it got into the situation where that it would run to 9 weeks as stuff didnt line up correctly. Cutting down the 4 days brings it so that everything has a schedule well in advance (2/3 seasons), instead of taking stuff on a season by season basis.

Just to tack on to this, I would argue that the problem isn't season length in general, but the season to off-season ratio. Outside of the TPE-inflation issue it doesn't really make that much of a difference if a season is 8 or 10 weeks along, the bigger issue is if the playoffs + off-season taken together become so long in comparison to the regular season that everyone whose team doesn't go deep in the playoffs spends 50+% of his time here not actually playing any games.

The ELC change generally sounds like a decent idea but I have anyother question/issue I see with this. Isn't this actually playing massively into the hands of teams that are already stacked, sometimes that the old system was specifically set up to prevent and which you said you wanted to keep with the new system? So now no matter how good your team already is, you get your draft picks signed for free for your first season and then afterwards you have the RFA rights for everyone that stayed active... That's a biiiiig difference to what we had before where the fact that stacked teams couldn't afford to effectively use all their draft picks was one of our main tools to level the playing field and allow weaker teams to catch up through good drafting and developing.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

12-19-2021, 08:39 AMSabresFan Wrote:
12-18-2021, 11:13 PMBadWolf Wrote: I would like to mention in reality we only took 4 days out of our typical schedule to come up with this layout. This season has been longer due to the holidays. Hope this helps.

Isn't that HO's job though? To look at issues and facts and then decide the best solution then implement it?

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

I know HO discussed whether the no cap hit rookies would affect stacked teams staying stacked, but even if they absolutely max earned you're talking about the teams getting a 600 tpe player in their draft+1 season, which doesn't really help them short term anyways and they also had to spend a draft pick on them. I guess we will see how this plays out but at least all the actives should get drafted.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2021, 02:57 AM by Mutedfaith.)

12-19-2021, 12:40 PMDrunkenTeddy Wrote: I know HO discussed whether the no cap hit rookies would affect stacked teams staying stacked, but even if they absolutely max earned you're talking about the teams getting a 600 tpe player in their draft+1 season, which doesn't really help them short term anyways and they also had to spend a draft pick on them. I guess we will see how this plays out but at least all the actives should get drafted.
It gives them a chance to cherry pick who they can sign, opening up more cap space to sign more FAs. And if someone is good, but not good enough, and on decent terms with the GMs, they'll offer sheet him a shit offer, ask him not to sign (or make sure he doesn't) and probably get a draft pick out it. 

This benefits no-one but the already stacked teams.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

12-18-2021, 09:32 PMnour Wrote: Using this model, we’ll be able to plan multiple seasons, with draft dates and trade deadlines set months in advance, and keeping the season to the bare minimum number of days.

How are re-sims going to effect this? Like when multiple playoff games need to be re-done?

[Image: FJPVyys.png]