Create Account

TPE Inflation and Deflation

There is so much discussion about "TPE inflation" that I wanted to think about the topic and just see what flows out of my head. I remember there being concern about TPE inflation all the way back to when I had my second player 5-6 years ago. It does not seem to have harmed the league, since it has grown in numbers of players with many teams being added over the years. Here I'm assuming that the inflation happened gradually without conscious design.

TPE Inflation

The obvious concern with increasing TPE awards is that existing players and legacy players can be harmed by the glut of players that can earn maybe 150 or more "extra" TPE over their careers compared with those coming up behind them. However, the affect must be minimal over a whole career since raising attributes costs so much more on the higher end. Players might have an ever so slight edge in fending off regression.

TPE Deflation

The HO recently sent notice that each season would be "condensed". Really, they just tried to create a more orderly schedule where they trimmed off some of the fat. I believe that the HO primarily wanted to reign in what I perceive as an increased length of season compared with what the SHL was like seasons ago. Again, almost as an afterthought, they partially justified the move by saying that it could help to combat TPE inflation. A shorter season simply means that fewer activity checks and less training is available each season. This reduced TPE would, from current levels, be felt as TPE deflation. This, in contrast with the previous era of inflation, would be abrupt and due to a mandated reduction in TPE.

TPE deflation would be felt quite differently than TPE inflation. The existing players ten and more years into their careers would have already stockpiled the "extra" TPE they have already earned during the inflationary period. The youngest players would potentially experience a deficit in attribute scores equal and opposite to the gain experienced by top players over their entire careers all within the first season of deflation. That is, the 150 TPE or more earned via inflation would by about 3 to 4 19s at the peak of a career, while the 15 TPE lost by younger players represent about three 13s not gained as a result in one season. By the time the younger player reaches their peak, it all matters much less. Yet the younger player feels the pain of deflation for far longer than the older player feels the pain of inflation. They younger player remains behind track until the "inflation era babies" eventually die off.

Here is the most puzzling point of all:  The HO recently made changes to regression in order to fix a log jam created by too many players remaining at top levels for too long. It's said that some prospects were gaining upwards of 1k TPE prior to making the jump to the SHL. Now, the focus on TPE deflation to treat TPE inflation has the HO both pulling and pushing on a string at the same time. The reduced TPE earned by younger players would tend to leave the log jam in place with only the levels of TPE changed on both sides.

The Static SHL Universe

If we were really concerned about TPE inflation and deflation, we could institute a hard cap on earned TPE each season; perhaps a flat 175 cap.  However, this would look just like TPE deflation scenario above for about ten seasons. It would also create a lump of top earners with exactly the same TPE, if we assume that 200 TPE are offered and only 175 can be earned. People want to have fun here, but also enjoy the competitive aspect of it. This solution would take away too much of the competitive juice.

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the SHL

This is my last article or post about the running of the league. I want to focus on being a player and maybe being some sort of leader or GM in the far future. Whatever problems the league has or thinks it has; I want to remind myself that this is a fun hobby. This is here for pure enjoyment. I can't control any of the moving parts or any of their unintended consequences.

If something happens that is just too awful to swallow, like I have before...

[Image: spqhb6.gif]

[Image: embros.png]

[Image: ddIlIkT.png]  [Image: qzGJBye.png]
Player Render by Merica

12-19-2021, 11:03 AMSabresFan Wrote: The Static SHL Universe

If we were really concerned about TPE inflation and deflation, we could institute a hard cap on earned TPE each season; perhaps a flat 175 cap.  However, this would look just like TPE deflation scenario above for about ten seasons. It would also create a lump of top earners with exactly the same TPE, if we assume that 200 TPE are offered and only 175 can be earned. People want to have fun here, but also enjoy the competitive aspect of it. This solution would take away too much of the competitive juice.

We once had two caps, one for PTs and one of weekly trainings.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]