Create Account

S62 Championship Week

1. Trivia, 1-3 TPE
Verification: Grease is the word

5. Past Cup Winner Graphic, +3 TPE
[Image: mrSeutt.png]
Above is Gunnar "@sköldpaddor" Soderberg celebrating Chicago's first and thus far only Challenge Cup in Franchise history in Season 57.

6. Grab bag, +4 TPE
a. I wouldn't say there's much of a difference to me in how prestigious a cup is in the FHM era vs. in STHS. Since I've only been around since season 55 I've only experienced FHM cups though so I will say that it seems like there was more parity and unpredictableness in STHS than FHM, although everyone I've spoken to that was around in that time has told me that FHM has been better.
b. Not to slight the other two teams who made it to the semis but I do think so. Chicago is my team and maybe I'm biased, but we won the President's Trophy, so you can't count us out against any other team, and Buffalo is Buffalo, if they're not getting eliminated by Hamilton they're simply not getting eliminated at all.
c. Hamilton has a bigger population than New Orleans by nearly 200k, but if we're relocating anyone I'd love to see a team in my hometown of Ottawa. The only problem is that the extremely boring nature of the city makes it difficult to come up with a team name (seriously, Ottawa's teams include the Senators, RedBlacks, and 67s). Maybe the Ottawa Otters?
d. I have to go with my boy Ryuuji Minamino coming off a 60 goal season as the best player not in the finals. He was not only the best player in the league this season, he also had one of the best seasons in the history of the SHL, breaking the old goals record by 11 (!) and beating the points record as well.

12. Milestones, +3 TPE
Link

18. Apocalypse Now, +3 TPE
When I was just a young tendy I was inspired by the Ragnarsson-Tremblay brothers with how much they could ruin the index, so I had a plan to make a player with the longest name I could find online. Something like Matthias-Friedrich O'Schmidt-Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff XVIII, or MF McLongassname for short. And as a bonus this counts as 6 words in the site's word counter. As I matured I decided I'm not gonna do this for my second player but if we're allowed 5 now, sure fuck it, why not. My next player would be named Qragoth since that's gonna be the name of my Barbarian Dragonborn D&D character. Them and McLongname will be a great goon squad, even better than the Bash Bros. My other two players would be twins and defensive partners, named Alexander and Elizabeth Smith. They're the children of Mat Smith, named after his Quebec City mentor, Alexander Roach, and his childhood hero, Elizabeth Doyle. Alexander is a great defensive left-handed defenseman, and Elizabeth is the righty all about the offense, together they're even better than prime Methot-Karlsson.

19. Groundhog Day, +3 TPE
If suddenly we woke up and the league was back in last season, the first thing I'd want to do is change my seasons predictions. I can't remember if I had Chicago winning the President's Trophy, it was a good guess if I did, but the one thing I would change is having Hamilton as the Challenge Cup winner (sorry tex but ham chest). This may actually cause a change of heart in the FHM gods since I've predicted Chicago to win the Cup every season except for season 57 when we actually won. The next thing I would do is warn my teammates and maybe a few friends on other teams about the regression change that's gonna happen so we're ready when it does, ideally without @Patty finding out so he doesn't think I have a spy in HO. Last thing I'd do is update my build exactly the way I've been doing since this was my best season in the SHL so far and there's a good change it'll be the best one of my career, and I don't want that taken away from me.

3+4+3+3+3=16 TPE, with trivia done as well just in case.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 03:19 PM by Thunfish.)

1. Mine's 900 and not Victor Helstrom

6. a. I think it's about even, to be honest. Some people have this belief that certain awards or positions should be rated in comparison to each other based on whoever wins it but the essence of winning a championship, regardless of time, requires a certain set of skills, not to mention boatloads of effort. So I'd argue that the trophy is worth the same regardless of when it was awarded. That said, the FHM era produces better spectacles, I believe.
b. Probably, I think. I will agree with the comments of others that the league probably still has an issue with the parity that likely would only be solved by forced proletariat intervention of the likes that only Bolsheviks could foresee but the truth to the matter is that it's very likely the strongest teams of the league would bring the same final four if allowed to do so.
c. I guess I'd move them to somewhere sorta between Texas and Chicago, pushing them into the same Conference as the two so we're more likely to have different finals. I would say Kansas City but I do believe there's a junior team there and they probably wouldn't like someone just waltzing into their territory like that.
d. Seeing as I'm not really good at league knowledge, I asked my mother about it and she was pretty direct on regards to who. She insisted that I, indeed, was the best player to not make a final at the majors lately. She then told me not to ask pointless stuff to her right during the Mexican soap opera block or she'd be really angry.

12. Milestones Here

13. Yeah, pretty certain the league has a parity issue, given it's the same teams from the time I was playing with McCloud and it'll likely be the same teams during the time Harrier plays... and then probably the same teams again when I'm playing with my new guy for a final hurrah or something. That said, I don't really know if there's a nice way to solve it. There's a reason I don't try out for regulator jobs, the sole solution I could think of would be implementing a Soviet system where we'd snuff their teams out by spreading the players by force to other clubs, preferably those we (as in, the theoretical authority) like the most. I'm aware that they've gone and made changes to regression but I don't think it'll do much to prevent the status quo from remaining the status quo. Then again, I kinda prefer more the fun times with the lads at the locker rooms than the idea of silverware so... eh.

19. Funnily enough, if I ever woke up one day and found myself sent back to S61, it's very likely I'd invest in doing other things in a certain way. I'd chat up certain friends and certain people. I'd gather the courage to ask a girl out (and likely be rejected). I'd have established a workout pattern and regularly applied it throughout the days, in order to better myself. I'd also bet on real-life, cashing out massive amounts of money as a result. But league-wise, I think I'd have done the same things I've done so far. I really enjoyed my time in the league so far and I don't see any particular way I could've done differently. I'd still be miffed to have to rewrite my thesis, though. I remember it being a mouthful to do, not to mention the chills I got just from waiting for it to be checked and re-sent if I had to fix it in some way or shape. Ugh.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2021, 09:15 PM by MN_Moosey.)

PBE CW +12

Milestones +2

1. Trivia: eight

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2021, 09:15 PM by Tylar.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Sad

(3 TPE)

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE, GM stands for Great Man (150 words min.)
There have been some good and some bad GMs in SHL history. (Mostly bad) Pick a GM you think was outstanding and explain why you think they were one of the better GMs in SHL history. Point to trades/signings/trophy wins/locker rooms to support your claim.

I would say back in the early SHL days Seth was a pretty good GM looking back although his teams didn’t win. He managed to have a locker room with myself, Jaywhy, Tez, lem and others all at once. The Edmonton Chatzy was also bumping and even had many outsiders who just came to hang out evne tohugh they were not on the team. It was a good community of people. Looking back member wise those Edmonton Comets teams would be pretty good. Seth was a pretty nice fellow as well and took a lot of unnecessary abuse along the way. He managed to put together a good group of people in a locker room although his on ice performances weren’t that great but he set up a core for winning eventually. Overall Seth managed to keep me interested in the league and gave me a good introduction to locker rooms. He made me interested in having a good locker room and it is something I still value today.
(176 Words)

(3 TPE)

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Draft Busts (150 words min.)
There are a lot of "could-have-been" draft picks in the SHL, but let's have some fun thinking about someone that busted hard. Write about their potential and where they were picked, and how that franchise could look *if* they had in fact panned out.
A draft bust in recently memory could be none other than the first overall pick in the S54 SMJHL draft and then 18th overall pick Liam Slate. He is considered a bust because he did not perform in th SMJHL relative to his draft position and managed to drop 18 spots in the draft, 18 spots which is a lot of spots between the draft. Liam Slate has still not managed to live up to his SMJHL draft status although he has had a lucrative career thus far. Liam Slate is still considered a bust too many and will continue to be a bust until further notice until his play reflects how his draft pedigree shows. The Toronto Northstars would likely be in much better shape now if Liam Slate actually was a good player for them. They have since trade the player and have went through two general managers in the process. The Northstars have been a bit unlucky since drafting Slate, but hopefully with the bust gone they will find more luck in the future.
(177 Words)

3 TPE

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. What is worth more to you, a cup win in the FHM era or the STHS era?
I would say right now a Cup in the FHM era because in the STHS era there was more RNG and you never know if your team could make a run. In FHM it is literally the same teams winning. I think it would be more satisfying to win a cup in the FHM era. (55 Words)

b. Be honest, would we have seen the same final 4 as last year (Chicago, Texas, Hamilton, Buffalo) had BUF/HAM and TEX/CHI not run into each other in the second round?
Most likely yes. These four teams are way too powerful for the rest of the league. I guess MAYBE the Northstars or Panthers could have taken down one of them but I am doubtful in that. There is just way too much of a gap to make up for it. It is a sad state of affairs but it is what it is
(55 Words)

c. Hamilton has a population of roughly 5 people. Where would you relocate the franchise?
I would say maybe Pittsburgh to be with the Steelers. I think it would make sense hypothetically and it could be a fun rivalry with the Forge. I think it would be an interesting idea to look at. I feel like the name Pittsburgh Steelhawks sounds kind of cool to me. If not maybe like Cleveland where they produce a lot of Steel as well?
(65 Words)

d. Who is the best player to NOT make the final in the past 2 years?
I would say maybe Karl Krashwagen from the Baltimore Platoon. He has been a productive player for a long time and has been stuck in the Hamilton Conference. They are a team who could challenge but likely never will because well Hamilton and Buffalo take over each season so it is kind of pointless to think otherwise.
(55 Words)

4 TPE

Code:
12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3150622
3 TPE

TPE: 16/16

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2021, 07:10 PM by leviadan.)

Quote:1. Trivia: 3 TPE

Barn

Quote:2. GM stands for Great Man: 3 TPE

Puoli is an incredible GM and deserves all the praise in the world for how competitive Texas has been lately, but I wanted to take my remaining 100 or so words to shout out @dankoa for assembling so much talent for Puoli to play with. When you look at his draft record from around S50 or so until he stepped down he just about never missed. It seems like the vast majority of players he picked up throughout the rebuild ended up being guys that were instrumental to the cup win, and to maintaining the Renegades position at the top of the league for the last 4 or 5 seasons. Wachter, Leppanen, Scianna, Williams, Sondergaard, Hudson, Kondos, Fantobens-- a handful of other guys I can't remember off the top of my head I'm sure. He did a wonderful job scouting talent, building a team, and changing the locker room culture. Then he had an incredible AGM to act as successor and take it over the top. 

Quote:6. Grab Bag: 4 TPE

a) To me, even though I'm someone that pretty much only has a career in FHM, it's a tough question. STHS was more random, so in a sense you kinda had better odds to win one at some point if you were on a decent team and had a lot of kicks at the can. Whereas in FHM you have to really be competitive to have a real shot at all. So I think I would say that a one-off cup is more impressive in FHM, but dynasties are more impressive in STHS. 

b) I think that's fairly likely. The chance of upsets seems to be so small in FHM that we get maybe one a season-- two if we're lucky. Knowing this is the case makes the East and West finals a little anti-climactic, because the second round with the top seeds tends to be the "real" conference final. That being said, I hope the parity changes help with that. Every round should be exciting and meaningful, but as it stands currently, that tends not to be the case.

c) Having Hamilton and Toronto as teems seems a little silly because they're so close. Aside from the obvious thought of it being fun to have a European team, I think more Southern hockey would be cool. Perhaps moving Hamilton to Mexico City or Lima would be fun. I think that by and large the SHL doesn't take advantage of the virtual nature of the league to have teams in unique places. Travel constraints aren't a thing here, so why no explore teams from all over the world more often?

d) The last two years being S61 and S62? Hard not to say a lot of the folks on Chicago. Kennedy, Soderberg, Westbroek. That's the team we have to go through just about every playoffs and they're always a brutal battle. They've all had long illustrious careers across the SHL and IIHF, so I think folks like that would be my top pick for "deserves a final but hasn't had one lately."

Quote:12. Milestones: 3 TPE

Linked here!

Quote:19. Groundhog Day: 3 TPE

Beyond cheating at Primetime and Hattrick, I think I'd have to talk to my GMs early to get us testing against HAM much earlier in the season. Assuming the rest of the playoffs went more or less the same way, we might be able to turn the tide of that sad 4-0 sweep in the finals since we'd have had our eye on the ball since game 1 of the regular season. It would also be fun to post an enormous write-up response to the HO regression announcement and be able to post it like, 1 second after Tommy posts the thread. I'm talking about a real like, 3000 word corker of a response within seconds. I imagine that would go over well. I'd get accused of having a mole in HO, there'd be some infighting, some inquiries. Nobody would be found of course, but they could never trust each other again.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2021, 01:03 PM by Redderder15.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: notnotnotVictorHelstrom (3 TPE)

Code:
There have been some good and some bad GMs in SHL history. (Mostly bad) Pick a GM you think was outstanding and explain why you think they were one of the better GMs in SHL history. Point to trades/signings/trophy wins/locker rooms to support your claim.

The best GM I have seen in my little time on the site has to be Nhamlet and his work in NL. He has managed to get to the finals 3 times (winning twice) all while cycling lines through the season and still giving fair icetime to rookies in the playoffs. The dedication to the team has shown to be monumental when dealing with rookies as you can see with all of the active players in the NL locker room. He is definitely more of a people first kind of GM (as far as I've seen) not really trading actives and keeping our wonderful LR together, and changing it by adding people he scouted and knows will be good additions to the room. His activity is incredible and he is always helping people like myself figure out the site and his knowledge will surely help all of us in NL as we aspire for more positions in the site.
(158 words, 3 TPE)

Code:
There are a lot of "could-have-been" draft picks in the SHL, but let's have some fun thinking about someone that busted hard. Write about their potential and where they were picked, and how that franchise could look *if* they had in fact panned out.

A more recent bust pick would be S56's 2nd overall pick Evangelos Giannopoulos. As Toronto was rebuilding and looking forward to a better future, a big piece of their core group going forward was going to have to be their 2nd overall pick, but now standing 450 TPE away and currently IA, Toronto is left with a fraction of the player they should've got from their precious pick in a decent sized draft with more than a 1st round of actives. Toronto has been looking for a permanent GM for multiple seasons now and, if they had a shiny 1700 TPE core piece going forward, maybe more people would be interested in the job. Maybe Toronto could be closer to contending than they are now as they most likely need to do a bit of a retool at the moment. At the end of the day, Toronto isn't in great shape right now and a 2nd OA bust pick certainly doesn't help. (162 words, 3 TPE)

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Rules (150 words min.)
There have been a lot of rule changes in the SHL. Where do you think these changes have gone right, where do you think they have gone wrong? Would you ever want to go back to a previous way of doing things? Do you think the SHL is fine as is?

A rule that I think was properly and well done was this new regression change. As the league needed more turnover the clear answer was to take team's cores down faster leading to more retooling/rebuilding for the teams at the top. I saw lots of people thinking of innovative solutions but regression seems like a clear cut choice that isn't very confusing (well, it can get a bit confusing, but the concept itself isn't) and everyone is accustomed to. Some sort of draft class had to be reduced and it ended up being S53, so I don't get why the argument I see is "why did it have to affect me instead of just screwing over others". I get the "it's just frustrating to work so hard and maybe not reach 2k" or something like that as I understand it being frustrated but the change had to be made and it had to stop the line of incredibly high earners and inflation somewhere and it happened to be S53 that got screwed.

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
b. Be honest, would we have seen the same final 4 as last year (Chicago, Texas, Hamilton, Buffalo) had BUF/HAM and TEX/CHI not run into each other in the second round?
c. Hamilton has a population of roughly 5 people. Where would you relocate the franchise?

a) I'd say they are both very valuable as a cup in the FHM era is more based on tactics and FHM knowledge versus STHS being more roster construction etc. I'm not sure which one is more valuable, but as more GM's get to know FHM I feel we are getting the best of both worlds. So I'll say a win in FHM in the future when more teams know tactics is the most valuable. (74 words)

c) I feel like a city that would have mutual benefit from a winning team would be Las Vegas. The team would have an absolutely electric atmosphere, and get craploads of money from sky-high ticket sales when the team is winning in the regular season and craploads of craploads of money from playoff sales. The city would get a winning team to cheer for and gamble on. Win-win! (67 words)

2 TPE from grab bag.

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
Milestones (+3 TPE)

TOTAL TPE: 17 (1 to account for wrong trivia answers)

Links: Updates | Player Page | Bank
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2021, 12:36 AM by Zerg.)

PLACEHOLDER

Task 1 (trivia): Victor Helstrom KEKW (3 TPE claimed)

2. There have been some good and some bad GMs in SHL history. (Mostly bad) Pick a GM you think was outstanding and explain why you think they were one of the better GMs in SHL history. Point to trades/signings/trophy wins/locker rooms to support your claim.

Keygan is the first person whose name comes to mind when I think of a great general manager in the SHL. Edmonton has historically not been one of the league's most exciting franchises, nor one of the juggernauts that have caused so much forum salt over the past few weeks, but Keygan's brief tenure set it up for an extremely strong window in the near future by establishing an outstanding locker room and stocking the cupboards to bursting with a deft combination of an uncanny ability to identify a good draft in advance and stock up on picks for it (as well as identifying bad drafts and dumping his picks in them) with some of the league's best scouting during his tenure. This combination let him load Edmonton up, and whoever the GM is during that core's peak will probably get a lot of credit for it. Depending on trades, that may end up being deserved as well, but Keygan shouldn't be forgotten in the process. (166 words 3 TPE)

13. hahahahahaha remember this task from last season? The one where everyone was like "nah we're good, tampa and BAP will be in the finals soon and you'll see that the old guard will make way for the new young teams". Now that we have the exact same fucking teams in the final again, let me ask, is parity an issue in the SHL? How do we combat this?

To fix parity in this league, I would suggest no longer thinking in terms of "what can we do to achieve parity" and instead asking "how do the juggernauts maintain their success"? They maintain their success by getting all the best players to come play for them in their primes as trades or free agents, due to a self-perpetuating superteam cycle and players wanting to win. Why does this not happen in real leagues? Because of the salary cap. Everyone in the SHL takes minimum contracts, or cheap contracts, because the money isn't real and they don't want to take so much salary that their teams can't build around them. One idea (I would've suggested this instead of changing regression, but oh well) could be to enforce a variable minimum salary depending on a player's TPE, or I would prefer to see depending on the player's production over the seasons leading up to their contracts. Make the salary system matter, make the salary cap matter, and you'll see the superteams disappear. (171 words 3 TPE)

19. You log on to the SHL. Oh shit gotta do your Finals Predictions. Yay Hamilton Texas finals, love shl parity. Weird, the title says s61 finals predictions but its s62? But wait, all the PTs are labeled s61, we're on activity check #388, and no one is complaining about regression. You must have woken up back at the start of the S61 Finals! What do you do differently now that you know how the next season will play out. Change some of your casino bets? Predict some drama? Cheat at primetime?

Oh you'd better believe I would cheat at primetime. Casino bets would change too, and I'd parlay so I'd have enough money to get through that particularly demanding stretch of my real life. However, that was also my last season in Colorado. I'd probably spend the entire groundhog day cycle trying to find a way to change the outcome of that last season. I'd join the Raptors tactical staff, get FHM, run tactics simulations throughout whole iterations of that season, until I finally get to the right tactical setups to make the S61 Colorado Raptors a buzzsaw, a one-hit wonder so brutally efficient, and so impossible to replicate, that that particular team in that particular season becomes a byword meme for random elite success that never happens again. I do this not just out of love for the Raptors, but also because I know, deep in my core, that the Four Star Cup is the key that will free me from this hell. (163 words 3 TPE)

Task 12 (milestones): 3 TPE

21. HO didn't feel like making a job posting for PT Director so they just put you in charge of picking the new one. So elect a new PT director, tag them, and explain why you think they'd be a great fit for the job. Or just someone you want to torture.

@micool132 is the new PT Director, for several reasons. First, I want a bunch of TPE for posting memes about winning the cup and saying nice things about the Habs. Second, I want bonus TPE for including random French words in my PTs, merci beaucoup. Third, maybe this endorsement will convince him to trade Josh Anderson back to me in nem. Fourth, it would be more functional and only slightly less entertaining than forcing Pingy Pingu Lunga Gumba Esquire to be the new PT director, unleashing a merciless meme-hell in the process and bringing this entire league down in flames. Adding this extra sentence because without it, this post is exactly 100 words by my word counter, and I don't know which one you guys use. (125 words 2 TPE)

17/16 TPE total

[Image: zN6tB52.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021, 12:13 AM by Highhaschdi.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for
each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked
below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get
credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Feuer

Code:

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

2 TPE

12 TPE for ISFL Affiliate

[Image: Haschdi.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2021, 05:32 PM by Sburbine.)

Code:

sburb

Code:

Our supreme leader Nhamlet has done the unprecedented of winning three straight GM of the year awards and winning the four star cup the last two out of three seasons (and getting to the finals in the middle season). He's a decorated GM that is always putting in the hours to do testing, figuring out what everyone's builds should be and doing various jobs around the league to keep that fat bank account rolling. He also keeps one of the most active locker rooms in the SHL going by organizing different activities so we can have fun as a group and even get to know newer users such as myself.  Ham finds a way to keep winning and keep the Newfoundland dynasty strong enough that people don't want us to win anymore but we keep doing it anyway. Here's to the best GM in the J and maybe all of the SHL, to the (maybe) future winner of four straight GM of the year awards, Nhamlet.

Code:
There have been a lot of rule changes in the SHL. Where do you think these changes have gone right, where do you think they have gone wrong? Would you ever want to go back to a previous way of doing things? Do you think the SHL is fine as is?

There seems to be a lot of changes going on in the SHL to try and fix parity and make it so the little guys have a chance to compete with a mix of keeping things fun for everyone.  Two big recent changes that I do like is the updated regression and schedule. The change to regression is a good thing for the league and it will help increase turnover but I disagree with one part of it, I think it shouldn't be done one season earlier and players should be allowed to stay at their peak for a few seasons. People put in a lot of work to get to the top so they should be rewarded for that. After a few seasons there should be a sharp drop off in TPE to increase turnover. Another big change coming is condensed schedule, this will help curb TPE inflation and  help make it so the SHL seasons don't feel so long, the people who don't make the playoffs have to wait so long to be able to play again.

Code:

a. I wasn't around for the STHS era so I can't speak on it too much but it seems that it was basically "solved" at one point making all other builds and tactics worthless besides the meta ones. This makes it so a FHM win feels more deserved even though we have the problem now of the same four teams being at the top.

b. I think we would have seen the same team in the final, the only possible difference is if maybe CHI faced off with BUF. CHI had a disappointing end to a very strong season and would have been heavy favorites against BUF. As always HAM would have steamrolled into the finals no mater what, maybe next year they'll be bad guys.

c. I think Hamilton should relocate to Miami, there are already two in real life hockey teams in Florida, why not make a fake hockey team team there too. I can see Hallsy and AWil now going to all the hottest Miami beach clubs and really going wild during spring break while they're not busy dominating the rest of the league.

d. By far the best player to not make it to the finals in the last two seasons and I'm sure a lot of people's answer for this question is Ryuuji Minamino, after posting an insane 60 goals last season, a feat that may never be seen again with the new regression rules, Chicago laid an egg in the playoffs and couldn't make it to the finals. This was CHI's season to win it and they unfortunately couldn't make it happen

Code:

+3 TPE Milestones

16/16 TPE

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

Code:

norway

Code:

I had that teammate in juniors back in the days during season 38 and season 39 with the Prince George Firebirds. He was a center man and was drafted one season before my previous player Anders Christensen. His name was Paddy Kane-Reilly and he was one of the best players I played with in the SJMHL. He was our first-line center during S38 when we went on to win the SMJHL playoffs. I thought this guy had everything in him to become a dominant player at the next level, he was a good playmaker, he had a really good, he was fast and even contribute to the defensive zone. However, it didn’t pan out when it was the time to make the move to the SHL. It looks like he hit a plateau during his first year in the league and never show any progress after that. He ended up retiring after a short career.

155 words

Code:

Code:

A cup win in the STHS era. During the STHS era, there was a lot more variability about both games, regular season standing and series results, while since we move to FHM, it seems that the teams that are the best on paper and who uses the best strategy always ended up making it to the end. It was harder to win back in the days.

66 words

Code:

Since Hamilton population is too high to maintain an SHL team, I think we should move them to a smaller city. Since moving it to a city that already has a team from another professional team like the NHL is boring, I think we should keep the Steelhawks in Canada and move them to Moncton where they will have a good supporter base.

63 words

Code:

The best player not to make the finals in the last two years is Ryuuji Minamino. He had an insane season this year. He got 60 goals and 106 points which are really good numbers. Getting 60 goals is something we have not seen in the last five seasons and God knows how long it will take to see a player do it again.

64 words

Code:

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

S62 Milestones +1 TPE

Code:
13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)
hahahahahaha remember this task from last season? The one where everyone was like "nah we're good, tampa and BAP will be in the finals soon and you'll see that the old guard will make way for the new young teams". Now that we have the exact same fucking teams in the final again, let me ask, is parity an issue in the SHL? How do we combat this?

We could take a drastic action and go back to using STHS. In the STHS day, there is a lot more variability in the results, these days, you can expect the best team to win and the worst team to lose in a vast majority of the games and playoffs series which has made the league a lot more boring than it used to be. You can predict what your team will accomplish during a season quite easily. Of course, there is some solution we could try before we take such drastic action. The other solution is to increase the minimum contract value for people with high levels of TPE and have a 2-year maximum contract for everyone. We should have more splits than we currently have and have a new minimum salary for every 200 TPE bracket. Players with 2000 TPE should be paid at least 9,000,000$. We need to put contending teams in a position where they have to make a choice about which players to keep at the end of every season.

174 words

Code:
19. Written, 3 TPE, Groundhog Day 150 words min
You log on to the SHL. Oh shit gotta do your Finals Predictions. Yay Hamilton Texas finals, love shl parity. Weird, the title says s61 finals predictions but its s62? But wait, all the PTs are labeled s61, we're on activity check #388, and no one is complaining about regression. You must have woken up back at the start of the S61 Finals! What do you do differently now that you know how the next season will play out. Change some of your casino bets? Predict some drama? Cheat at primetime?

Now that I have made my way back into the past, I will take every advantage that I can to make my player better. First of all, I would have a lot less work to do during that season, since I would have all my
PTs and my mPTs save up already. I also would not have to do my Championship Week for the same reason. Then, I could use the upcoming result that I already know to get the maximum amount of TPE from both the primetime and the 3on3 that have been replaced this season. I would also be able to use the player’s stats from that year to make my fantasy selection, which would give me an additional 10 TPE at the end of the season. Finally, I would use my acquired knowledge to make the most amount that I could from the casino by picking three good teams for the over and under and bet on the upcoming champions and parlay everything to get rich.

169 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2021, 12:56 AM by Kyamprac.)

+12 TPE for ISFL Affiliate and PBE Affiliate Tasks

Code:

+2 TPE for Milestones

Code:

verification: lmao

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid and swoosh for sigs!
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2021, 11:06 PM by Jayba1t.)

Code:

Trivia Verification Word: jay2233

Code:

I think the true bust of the SHL has to be when the Seattle Argonauts selected Center Max Manning in the 1st round of the Season 61 Simulation Hockey League draft. Man, this guy could have been a solid center, maybe even elite at his top potential. He was developing okay in the Juniors, posting a 54 point season in his sophomore year. However, this season, he mightily struggled and tanked hard in terms of offensive production. Despite better deployment and a seemingly improved build he fell off a cliff. This pick, even though it's the late first round of pick 20, is already pointing towards a bust. Seattle could have had another top and up and coming prospect to add to their system, but instead chose a bust who is looking worse and worse by day. Again, this dude has not even played a game in the SHL in his career at all. Looks like a juniors lifer here. 

160 words

Code:

Since I have only had a player and created in the FHM era, FHM era it is. Also I'm not sure if using two different sim engines would completely change the value or worth of a cup. A cup is a cup, I'd personally love one and would take one any day. Hoping for one soon! 

56 words

Code:

Honestly, yes. Parity has been an issue in this league and it is quite apparent with the same few teams coming up every finals. Buffalo and Chicago were absolute monsters, with Chicago losing like 1 game this entire season and Buffalo who led their division. The same 4 would have entirely been possible. 

53 words

Code:

I'd relocate Hamilton to literally any other viable city on this planet. For real though, I'd bring it to another location in British Columbia. This may be a biased answer, but I think we could use one especially considering that we do have a market for hockey. Totally zero bias here. None at all.

54 words

Code:

There's literally a million options I could go with here as parity is totally not an issue. I'll go with Ryuuji Minamino of the Chicago Syndicate, since scoring 60 goals and 100+ points in a 66 game season is absolutely nuts. No player in the SHL has ever recorded a 60 goal season and he'd be the best player to not make the finals in the last 2 seasons. 

69 words

Code:
18. Written, 3 TPE, Apocalypse Now 150 words min

In the not so distant future (s64), 4 Texas Hamilton finals in a row have seen most of the SHLers quit out of spite. Only a select few remain. Head Office reeeeaaally likes having 20 teams so they have now allowed every user to have 5 players to fill the void of everyone who left. Name your other 4 players that aren't your current player, select their positions, and decide their focus and path in the league. Postulate where they end up after the draft and how the players pan out.

So, the apocalypse has struck. My plan for my SHL future would be to continue the Manning family. Max's brother Alex would join the SHL. He would play as a right defenseman. He focuses mainly on a two-way game, and tries to be as balanced as he can. I say he would have a decent career. Next there would be Calle Rosenberg.  He would be a feisty, energetic and fast left winger who scores goals night and day. He'd also have a decent career. The third would be Lindy Wilson. A PBE failed prospect, he'd immediately jump in and become a smooth and silky offensive defenseman. He only knows what offense is, and believes the best defense is a good offense. Decent career too. Finally, I think to round it out, I'd have a goalie. Troy Andrews. Not sure what goalie types there are, but he'd be decent too I guess.  

151 words

Code:
21. Written, 2 TPE, No take backs 100 words min

HO didn't feel like making a job posting for PT Director so they just put you in charge of picking the new one. So elect a new PT director, tag them, and explain why you think they'd be a great fit for the job. Or just someone you want to torture.

With no hesitation, I'd choose @micool132 as SHL's new PT director. I think he'd be a great fit at being the PT dude person. He's a real nice, friendly and funny person who wants to win the cup everyday. (He's gonna win the cup) I think he could come up with some interesting and creative ideas or prompts for the different types of point tasks there are. (He has good ideas for everything and is always reasonable) Now whether he actually wants to do that, is another story. But for the purpose of this task, Micool is my selection. No torturing at all. 

103 words

MILESTONES: here 3 tpe

3 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 3 = 18/16 tpe, 2 extra I guess

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2021, 07:44 AM by Evil_AllBran.)

Code:

Well this one is going to be easy to write about… When I saw this prompt I immediately had a draft pick spring to mind. Round one, fifth over all the Philadelphia Forge select forward Evil AllBran… Wide eyed and full of hope I couldn’t wait to hit the ice in the big leagues, to carry forward my point production (S60: 31 goals, 23 assists and S61: 29 goals, 26 assists) from the Newfoundland Berserkers and show my new team mates what I bring to the Forge. Instead what they got was a horror show of a rookie season (S62: 4 goals and 15 assists). I can’t help but think what the teams season would have been like if I managed to bring in even a fraction of my scoring ability from the J, with the big gun Kaarlo Kekkonen and defensive machine Samuel Michaud both signing to Philly it could have been a special run.

Code:

This is only my first season in the big leagues, I guess the regression change is the only big change that has been implemented while I have been here and that one wont impact me for a long time so I don't really see it as a big deal (I know a lot of other members do and that is understandable). My view though is that these changes are made with the best intentions for the league and the site as a whole and I have to respect that. I can see that these changes will hurt some users but they will effect everyone eventually and in my opinion if you don't try to improve the league it would just stagnate and die and that would hurt everyone the most. But what the fuck do I know, I've only been here for two seconds, I might be completely wrong but i reckon that just complaining about a change isn't helpful so try to come up with constructive criticsm and help solve the problem Smile

Code:

A. No cup is worth more than the one you are playing for in the current season in my opinion. Coming from a guy who hasn’t won a single Challenge Cup I am sure that opinion means diddly squat but if you don’t think the cup is worth as much then what are you even doing?

B. I mean yeah more than likely it would be those four teams as it seems like it is the same teams that continually dominate the league. Maybe there is a chance that Baltimore win a series in the Eastern conference, but I am not sure who beats Texas and Chicago out in the West.

C. I say let’s keep them in Hamilton, hopefully the lack of population will start hurting them. The low population results in low fan numbers which in turn means low revenue and that the franchise is not sustainable, leading to the need to cut costs. This makes them lose their big-time players and finally they fall from the top of the standings.

D. You have feel for Ryan Shepherd from the Chicago Syndicate right? He was 6th overall in points during season 61 with 29 goals and 53 assists and then climbed up to 3rd overall in points for season 62 with 33 goals and 60 assists. With how well Chicago did during the regular season during s62 you had to thing they would go all the way.

Code:
7. Graphic, 2 TPE, This one's for Seymour
Design a championship ring for either team. Yeah you can use the ring site. Here's a link to the ring site: https://designer.trophysmack.com/productdesigner/index/index/id/97/template/MTUz/cid/MzMwMDA2MzU2Mjk2Mjk=

Link

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Comic Book
Create a comic book cover of your favorite SHL player in action. Title the comic and give an issue number.

Link

Code:
15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (100 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC if you care about that more. Will there be surprises? Will any players make their country proud? Who's gonna suck? Be bold!

I am hoping that my boys in the land of the rising sun can go all the way again. They are stacked with talent at every end of the ice so I reckon they have a great chance of doing it! I mean let's just talk about the absolute superstar of season 62... Ryuuji Minamino of the Chicago Syndicate! This guy was an absolute monster on the ice! He lead the league with 60 goals and 46 assists for an eye watering 106 points! Watching this guy on the ice made me weak in the knees and I don't care who knows it!

16 TPE earned. Thank you very much.

[Image: sigrotator123.gif]
 [Image: UEX4RCQ.png]  [Image: PHI-pepe2.png]  [Image: r2pSvNf.png]
Special thanks to Carpy48, Ragnar, Merica, High Stick King, Sulovilen, sothfacekilla, enigmatic and LeSizz for the signatures!

WSBL CW +12
trivia: tatas +3
milestone 2

[Image: t6u8vGX.png]
[Image: TjI93pk.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2021, 04:48 PM by Canadice.)

Code:
rage

3 TPE

Code:

A. I would definitely say that a cup in the FHM era is worth more. From what I've heard the STHS was more random and you had less control over the outcome of a game, which of course meant that we would have different teams playing for the cup. However if the teams meeting in the finals are there because of chance rather than player or coaching skills, I would say that there is no real worth in a win here or there.

D. I would argue that the best player not to make the final has been Lyle Odelein III as they have been a stalwart in the defensive zone for a bad team that is just about to turn the corner when he is on his last breaths. Hopefully he will be able to get a chance to get further into the playoffs before retirement.

2 TPE

Code:
11a. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Welp, you waited until the last day to grind out your CW and the CC finals are longggggggg over by now. congrats to [TEAM], woo! Was it an exciting final, or predictable? Is one team the clear winner?
Comparing this final to last season's where the same two teams faced off, this one was much more interesting. Instead of a complete domination from Hamilton, Texas was a lot tougher this time around. The series being even after two games and Hamilton later winning game four and five in overtime to take control of the reigns, but Texas did not let up. The two final games of the series were nowhere near close for Hamilton and they eventually lost out on the Cup in game seven. This might mark the time when Hamilton's reign of the league stopped.
Code:
Words: 101

2 TPE

Code:

2 TPE

Code:
15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (100 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC if you care about that more. Will there be surprises? Will any players make their country proud? Who's gonna suck? Be bold!

Once again I will predict that Team Sweden will take home the gold. One of these times it must come true. In the games that has already been player Ireland has started with a great record, much better than anticipated, but I doubt that they will be able to keep performing like this for the rest of the tournament. Great Britain really is the disappointment of the tournament with only 9 points in 9 games. The past couple of years has seen them atop the standings during the round robin but it seems they have given over the title on the British Isles to Ireland this season.
Code:
Words: 107

2 TPE

Code:
17. Graphic, 3 TPE, Clairvoyant
You have been granted the gift of seeing the future, but only a single future cup winner. Relay us with this info in the form of a cup banner for the winning team. Make sure to include the season they won, you can make up some player names if it's far out in the future. Have fun with it! It could be your team if you want, with you as the star! We won't know if you're lying until SXX anyway.

[Image: New_document_1.2021_12_28_21_14_45.0.png]

3 TPE

Code:
21. Written, 2 TPE, No take backs 100 words min
HO didn't feel like making a job posting for PT Director so they just put you in charge of picking the new one. So elect a new PT director, tag them, and explain why you think they'd be a great fit for the job. Or just someone you want to torture
I would think that @RashfordU would be a great addition as PT Head, always coming up with ideas for PTs relevant to another league we're both involved in. One of the requirements for this job is to be able to see beyond the league, and sometimes even the sport, to try and get users to want to write about aspects of their player or team. Rashford is great at doing that and might even be able to produce some prompts that would make the people with PT Passes want to write. Rashford's experience in multiple leagues also gives the possibility to "loan" ideas in cases when the well has run dry.
Code:
Words: 113

2 TPE

16/16 TPE

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]