Create Account

Selected SHL and SMJHL teams if they were Pokemon
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 05:11 PM by boom.)

[425 words, ready for grading]

So a couple days ago I was shitposting in the Blizzard locker room (who doesn't have PokeTwo these days), and noticed some resemblances between teams and certain Pokemon, so I figured I'd post about them. These are in no particular order or arrangement, just thought these would be really interesting. Comment below if you think any other Pokemon would fit better, or if there were ones I missed.

[Image: Carolina-min.png]
[Image: Spr_6x_224_m_s.png]
We start with one of the somewhat more obvious resemblances: Octillery! More specifically, the Shiny form of it. This Water-type Pokemon can have the ability Sniper, just like many star players that have gone through Carolina's organization in their existence.

[Image: TampaBay-min.png]
[Image: 600px-Spr_8s_847_s.png]
Hailing from the Galar region, it's Barraskewda! Another Water-type, this fast and furious fish effectively captures the speed and skill of the team. I decided to choose the Shiny form of Barraskewda because I thought it better fit the funkiness of the pink uniforms as opposed to the more muted brown of the normal colour scheme.

[Image: Baltimore-min.png]
[Image: Spr_6x_628.png]
Braviary, from Unova. I mean, come on. It's even from a game that's set in a region that's based on New York/New Jersey. If this Normal/Flying-type isn't the perfect representation, nothing is.

[Image: Hamilton-min.png]
[Image: 300px-HOME227.png]
Hamilton's representation is Skarmory. A historic Pokemon hailing from Generation II, it boasts an incredibly strong defense and is very difficult to take down, just like the hockey team these days. The Steel/Flying type is a fit, the colours work, and it's just a great old Pokemon. What more to say?

[Image: StLouis-min.png]
[Image: Spr_6x_332_m_s.png]
Alright, how many of y'all jersey designers based your designs off Shiny Pokemon? This Cacturne is another great fit, as it captures the colour scheme really well and is another older Pokemon, coming from the Hoenn region. As a Grass/Dark type, it certainly has the ability to give a lot of spooks to opponents.

[Image: Edmonton-min.png]
[Image: 038.png]
Like Alolan Ninetales, Edmonton has been the Blizzard for a while, but the arctic fox logo is a reimagining on a classic branding, just like the Alolan form did for this Generation I Pokemon. The Ice-type fits well with the Blizzard branding, while the Fairy-type gives a bit of extra mystique.

[Image: Regina-min.png]
[Image: 300px-HOME234.png]
Another one that was a fairly straightforward match, Stantler matches the Regina Elk pretty well just on a visual and colour-scheme basis.

And as one last bonus video-game reference:
[Image: Anaheim-min.png]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH1z4T9WwuzSmUqGY4Vbn...g&usqp=CAU]
Red Dead Redemption II? Red Dead Redemption II.

Hope you enjoyed the read!

EDIT: It appears that the images might not be rendering properly on mobile. The list here if you want to look them up yourselves:
Carolina Kraken: Shiny Octillery
Regina Elk: Stantler
Hamilton Steelhawks: Skarmory
Tampa Bay Barracuda: Shiny Barraskewda
Baltimore Platoon: Braviary
Edmonton Blizzard: Alolan Ninetales
St. Louis Scarecrows: Shiny Cacturne

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

updated to replace all the borked images with ones from Bulbapedia, should work now

Newfoundland: Shiny Charizard.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Good list for sure
Some others i thought of

Trevanant for Maine
Perrserker for Newfoundland
Bouffalant for Buffalo
Moltres for Atlanta
Druddigon for Calgary
Pyroar for San Francisco
Ursaring for Great Falls
Hoothoot for Quebec City
Tauros for Manhattan

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2022, 05:25 PM by boom.)

01-05-2022, 05:14 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: Newfoundland: Shiny Charizard.
I’ve been told that there’s a Pokémon called Perrserker and that it’s based off the Berserker so…yeah y’all probably get that one lol

[Image: 863.png]

01-05-2022, 05:00 PMboom Wrote: updated to replace all the borked images with ones from Bulbapedia, should work now
Still borked

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

01-05-2022, 05:22 PMboom Wrote:
01-05-2022, 05:14 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: Newfoundland: Shiny Charizard.
I’ve been told that there’s a Pokémon called Perrserker and that it’s based off the Berserker so…yeah y’all probably get that one lol

[Image: 863.png]

This is Sota making up lies and slander.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]