Create Account

My Sophmore (S62) Season

My Sophmore (S62) Season
Spack Jarrow's Journey: Entry #1 (the SHL edition)

Off-site Update Wrote:As you may or may not already know, I recently revealed that I am the player "Stormtrooper Thirteen" in the WSBL in this article: I. AM. SPACK. JARROW.. My motivations have already been discussed in that article. So there is no need to delve back into the past. I am Spack Jarrow and I play professional hockey and basketball...

...and now soccer as well. I committed to the SSL for their 2nd season. *ego inflates*

Oh and I have also signed on with the Hamilton Sports Agency.

Somewhere, Pacific Ocean -- My second season in the SMJHL was a very enjoyable one. I was able to attend an SHL training camp and had my role expanded with my junior team when I returned. During the season I was able to go from a depth player (.5 ppg) to a star this season (1.0 ppg) thanks to the amazing Anchorage Armada management team. They gave me a lot of time on the ice to put up points and I'm thankful for the opportunity.

The playoffs were a mix bag of great success and absolute failure. There was definitely improvement over my rookie playoff experience but I was left with that same bitter feeling at the end knowing that another chance to win slipped between my fingers once again.

Still though. Looking back at it all makes me realize just how fortunate I am to be on this team.

TRAINING CAMPS (season 62)

SHL Rookie Camp
I came into my first SHL training camp brimming with confidence. Successful rookie season. Leveraged name into lucrative business. Drafted by the Winnipeg Aurora. Found success in other sports. I was vibrating with confidence. I couldn't wait to show the Aurora management what I could do. I knew there wouldn't be any chance of being called up but I wanted them to know that they didn't make a mistake drafting me.

I still wasn't completely comfortable in cold weather but playing in Anchorage had helped prepare me for the temperatures in Winnipeg. There wasn't a whole lot of time as I wouldn't experience the full-SHL training camp but rather a type of rookie-camp where only the Winnipeg prospects would partake. It was a chance to meet my future teammates. Having so many players from my draft class there definitely helped ease my nerves.

What I learned most from that experience was no matter how good I thought I was, there were other players out there who were better and I needed to keep improving. That lesson was highlighted when I was put up against Gonzo Gobbledygook and Marcel Beck in a 1v1v1 drill where we had to battle for a loose puck with the winner then having to score on the net while the two who lost the battle defend. To say that I got bullied is putting it mildly. Gobbledygook won by scoring 7 goals while Beck finished a close 2nd with 6 goals. I finished a distant 3rd with 1 goal.

I could have let that drubbing bring me down but instead it made me want to be better. I have so much more room to grow my game. I couldn't wait to get to my junior team and begin my training.

SMJHL Training Camp
I was excited to start my Armada training camp after getting back from Winnipeg. I didn't have time to dwell on my experience at the rookie camp because it took coach precisely one practice before putting the entire team through the ringer. I guess he felt like some of us weren't in the shape he expected us to be in so we were went through an intensive bag-skate.

There wasn't a player who wasn't ready to collapse after that practice was done. It was that practice that spawned the viral photo of Cup Noodle collapsed on the ice after completing the drill.

[Image: hNtpmog.png]

Clown takes aside, Cup Noodle admitted to not feeling right during that training camp and that there was nothing to be concerned about.

I do have to mention the two rookies Hardcastle and LaCarpetron Dukemarriot II that we drafted last season. They are both big bodied defensemen that brings an element of toughness to the team who looked like they belonged from the first day. At the start of camp they were competing to see who the biggest war-wounds from previous fights. Needless to say I didn't bother to join in. Maybe next season.

Overall a gruel training camp. Especially considering there were two of them. I am itching to start the season at this point but still had all of pre-season to get through.

PRE-SEASON

Cut to the chase. We had a dismal pre-season. There was no chemistry, we lost players at key positions in the off-season, and coach was letting the mascot set the lines.

We all knew that this wasn't going to be the team that we would be seeing at the start of the regular season. Once coach sobered up long enough to set the lines we would be a much better team.

Eventually before our first game of the season coach calls myself and fellow LW'er Paul Koivu into his office. The lines had finally been drawn up and we were both being promoted. Koivu was going to be left winger on the first line while I would now be the left winger on the second. I would also be given a chance on the first unit power play.

This is a huge opportunity for both of us. For myself I have several reasons but I really wanted to prove that I have the skills and ability to become an offensive player and produce for a team. I know I can be a defensive forward but having the ability to help on both ends can only improve my career and help my team.

REGULAR SEASON

Honestly, how many of you can say that the Anchorage Armada would be in contention for 1st in the entire league by seasons end? LIARS!! None of you thought that. At least I certainly didn't.

We lost several key players from last season. We had a tumultuous training camp and terrible pre-season. We weren't going to be terrible but improving on last season seemed like a stretch.

Despite all of the potential pit-falls, the team never faltered. Immediately from the first game of the regular season we looked like a team that was well prepared and ready to compete with anyone. Sober coach lines were perfect and we took the first game of the season 4 to 2 against the Quebec Citadelles with Paul Koivu scoring 2 of those goals and being named 1st star. Also note that it was a game that Hardcastle scored his first career goal in as well. Woo!

Getting that first win was a massive boost to our team psyche. It carried over into the next game and onto the next. Soon we had started the season 5 and 0. While we eventually lost, that early success was just a taste of what this team would be capable of.

On a personal level, the line I was on was playing pretty well. The center was Alimony Tony and right winger Alf Magnusson. Our chemistry was evident from the very first game and we were also getting better as the season progressed although coach would have preferred us preventing a bit more goals. I was putting up quite a lot of points and was on pace to shatter my rookie numbers in almost every statistical category.

At the mid-way point of the season the team had a stellar 23-9-1 record. We were all playing really well, especially against the top teams and I was on the league leader boards competing against players one and two years older than myself. The whole thing was a bit surreal if I am being honest.

The second half of the season seemed to blur right by. A common feeling each season it seems but the team remained resilient during the dull-drums of the schedule. The battle for top team in the league was between the Vancouver Whalers, Newfoundland Berserkers, and us, the Anchorage Armada. Each team took turns in top spot. As the season wore down we were proving to be too hot to keep up with. We looked to have the top spot locked up with a handful of games left.

Now. Get. This. Bullshit.

Through the first 62 games we were in first place with a healthy 45-13-4 record. Things are humming along. There are only four games remaining in the schedule. You can guess where I am going with this right?

We lose three games in a row. Probably first time all season (I'm not looking that up).

Vancouver Whalers win their last four games. Because of course they do.

Both teams finished with identical records. Vancouver Whalers win because of the tie-breaker. Because of course they do.

So our perfect season was very slightly marred by a last minute losing streak. Not ideal but we weren't here for regular season hardware anyway. The playoffs is the whole point of all of this.

PLAYOFFS

Round One: Bye
- Pffft... well that was easy. Can't say I love "bye's" in leagues but I'll take it I guess.

Round Two: Anchorage Armada 4 - 0 Colorado Raptors
- Although we were the favourites it was expected that this would be a battle. That didn't happen as it was over rather quickly with 6-2, 5-3, 4-3, and 2-1 wins for us. Rookie defenseman Hardcastle was 1st star in the first two games and carried us early in that series. Series complete, off to round 3.

Round Three: Anchorage Armada 4 - 2 Vancouver Whalers
- We played the Whalers pretty well all season long so we were pretty confident going into this series that we had an even shot at taking it. They are a really good team though so when we got down after game 3 we knew we would have to find another gear. Noodle and Koivu were big factors in turning this series around and putting us on top and giving us a shot at the cup. Off to the finals!

Round Four - The Finals: Anchorage Armada 0 - 4 Newfoundland Berserkers
- This would definitely be our toughest task but much like the Whalers, we played them pretty well all season long and felt like we had a legit shot at beating these long time rivals. Ultimately we didn't. No time to dwell on it. Congrats to the Berserkers. On to off-season.

CLEANING OUT THE LOCKER

Well we didn't win but neither did 10 other teams. We still had a great season and one I am very proud of. We will be back next season with even more resolve.

Personally, I finished with 66 points in 66 games played which is a nice plateau as well as top 6 in assists and top 10 in points. I was also voted to represent my team in the all-star game at forward in Grand Rapids. Maybe the biggest shock though of the season was that I was nominated for the Raymond Lindsay Trophy (Most Outstanding Player as voted on by the league). I am extremely honoured to be nominated. Thank you very much!

I am looking forward to season 3 of this crazy and amazing journey. Also looking forward to meeting all my future teammates I'll have after the up-coming drafts are completed.

Thank you to my teammates and everyone who help keep this league trucking. See you on the ice soon!

Go Armada Aurora Go!

[ 2,205 words ]

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2022, 12:20 PM by bluesfan55.)

that's my captain right there o7

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs