Create Account

Catching Up With An Old Friend

Denver Star Tribune

Catching Up With An Old Friend
by James Kawnwalder
8-22-29
The ocean breeze hitting my face on a beautiful August afternoon is something I can definitely get used to, and it makes me understand why Sean has fallen in love with his new home. Its something that Denver just doesn’t have. That city has almost near perfect weather, but the one thing they are lacking is that ocean breeze. I'm not even one for the beach, but the breeze off the water is just so refreshing. I dont even care that I arrived at the brewery an hour early to see my old friend. What used to be a regular occurrence, has turned into a 3 year interruption. Last I saw Sean, he was just getting planted into LA directly from Maine. I helped him get settled into his new spot and spent a few weeks with him so that he had a friendly face around in a new location. But when I flew back to Denver, I got so busy with my writing career that I neglected many aspects of my personal relationships. So when Sean called me out for not visiting, I boarded the next direct Southwest flight to LAX to catch up with Denver’s Son, and my friend, Sean. In the 3 seasons since he got settled in LA he has since moved from Downtown to Manhattan Beach. Its very much a different scene from his old place. High fashion and Ferraris have been replaced by surf boards and yoga pants. Though, let’s be real, the money behind both scenes is the same. 

As if right on cue, Sean appears around the corner walking towards the brewery at the exact time we said we would meet up. If that kid is anything in this world, it is punctual. As soon as he sees me his resting grin face expands to ear to ear. James! He shouts as he turns his walk into a trot, up to the patio. If it wasn’t for his rosey cheeks I dont think I would have recognized him. He seems to have embraced the LA lifestyle, ditching the flannel and jeans in exchange for a tank top with board shorts and flip flops. The brewery is just around the corner from his new condo and must drink here enough that he doesn’t even order anything, but the bartender drops the house Red IPA down right in front of him. “Thanks Tim!” he says with a smile. 

Although we hadn’t seen each other in 3 years, we didn’t miss a beat. Movie quotes, game stats, Denver landmarks, new LA breweries all flow into a living entity that is a conversation between us. I fill him in on all the new projects ive been working on for the paper, and he fills me in on life with the team. When he first moved out here, he was concerned he wasn’t going to fit in with his new team or the culture. I knew he would find his groove, but there was nothing I could say to him to put him at ease. Not until he could see for himself. That has to be the hardest part for a kid like him. He is highly suspect to change, and is slow to embrace it. Which for a professional athlete has to be very difficult, as their lives can change drastically with very short notice. 

“We are making a run for the cup this season!” Sean exclaimed, after I brought up their new addition Rock Strongo to the locker room. “Ever since I landed in LA, the conversation around the cup was very minimal. Everyone knew we weren’t quite there yet and still had some set pieces to bring in.” 

“Wow, thats great to hear, but shouldn’t you guys have been playing with that mentality the whole time?” 

“Well, yes and no. Of course we always play with the mentality of winning, but we have to be realistic about things as well. When teams like HAM, TEX, CHI, and BUFF are all stacked with so much talent, we know when we just aren’t there yet. But this year! James, we think we see the light at the end of the tunnel.”

“Yeah? Why now?”

“Well its been a few variables. Teams got hit hard with the salary cap this year, and forced some GMs to unload to be able to field a team. Then there were actually a lot of retirements at the end of last season. Also, some of the old vets from the big teams… well they just aren’t a force anymore like they used to be. Its like so many of them just cant keep up anymore. Its a young league now.” “In fact, between us, Baltimore and Tampa, its looking like some of the younger teams might actually threaten the big 4.”

After Sean said that, I guess I realized I hadn’t paid attention to the rosters lately. The kid was right, the big teams took some hits to retirements, salary cap, and just plain old age. 

“So the standings are gonna look kinda weird this year, huh?” I ask as I recall the past few seasons of the same teams at the top and the same teams at the bottom for the past few years. 

“Well for the top, yes, but some of the rebuilding teams are still… well, rebuilding. But im sure we will see lots of surprises and lots of upsets this season. Its all very exciting after seeing the last few years being Groundhog Day.

We stayed at the brewery for what felt like 5 hours and 10 beers that night just catching up and reminiscing stories that we both know so well and love. I could barely walk when we called it a night, and thankfully Sean let me crash in his guest room as I was in no shape to drive anywhere. Drinking like that is a rare occasion for Sean anymore as he has really started taking his training even more seriously now that he can see the cup as his destination. Denver might not have an SHL team, but if Sean can win a cup, then Denver gets to claim part of it with him. We are all rooting for our kid. 

WC:1051

[Image: d2EaZfr.png]
Former Player