Create Account

SHL and Windowsills - a Comparison

In terms of what defines a window, there is not much thought that goes into an everyday definition. The dictionary states that a window is "an opening in the wall or roof of a building or vehicle that is fitted with glass or other transparent material in a frame to admit light or air and allow people to see out" (Webster, 2021). And, quite simply, this is probably what we all think of when we attempt to define a window in our heads. 

I am going to ask you to do something for me, and that is to picture a window in your mind. What makes that window? What does it look like?

It probably looks rectangular, with crossed "grilles" across the front, smaller panes of glass within it, and is in a rather large frame.

That would be a good working definition of a window, no?

Well, I am here to argue that our great hockey league and this window have a lot more in common than one might think.

What we define as a window is something stereotypical. The image I had you all put into your minds as you read through this was intentional - there is not so much that defines a window as what MAKES a window - the parts, the pieces, the collective. Each and every piece of wood or melted sand works in tandem with its fellow pieces to create something that shouldn't exist - a barrier that allows light through while preventing the cold and head from seeping in, keeping your humble abode/library/gym/strip club a balmy temperature instead of being at the beck and call of the elements.

And in a way, that's exactly what this league is.

Each and every member of the league forms parts of our window. You have the glass itself, carried by the players who are active and invested and allow us to see into a world where professional Football star and all around great human Marcus Rashford competes alongside Johnny Depp, Derek Boogaard, and Hank Hill to see who can score the most goals. Or, your outside world could look far different, and the world you see is far more realistic, with the sons (or daughters) of famous Ice Hockey players joining the ice to carry on the legacy their parents left them. Whatever it is, this world of imagination is the "outside world" for us - one where we can gaze through the looking glass and see some of our wildest fantasies. At least, as long as those fantasies involve playing hockey.

Then, you have the "grilles". In a normal window, these are merely ornamental. But in our league, these grilles contain and maintain the integrity of the glass itself. These would be your updaters, the people who run PTs, those who give us a sense of structure and keep our attention focused on the world through the window instead. The grilles maintain the structure of the players within the league, giving us the format to fulfill our strangest hockey dreams, like scoring the game winning goal to send your team into the Finals.

Finally, you have the frame. These are the ones in charge, the ones deciding the rules and dishing out punishment or reward, maintaining the integrity of the opening itself. In a window, the frame is the actual "window" itself - opening the wall or roof to the world outside and giving us a chance to have that light shine through. These are the people who make it possible for you to wonder what it would be like to play professional hockey, to see a player you have trained and molded into your own unique person compete on the ice. Without this frame, we would have no sense of an opening, no glimpse into the outside world. You could make the argument that the frame is the most important part of a window.

But perhaps nothing is as important to the league - or even to the window itself - as the windowsill.

When examining a window, the windowsill is often overlooked. It's not considered an important part, it's not integral to the frame or the opening itself. But a good windowsill can make or break your window. You've got plenty of windowsills to choose from - bay window, extended, short, enough for a coffee mug and a cat and not much else... the list goes on and on. These windowsills support the gravity of the window itself, preventing it from breaking and adding support in the event the outdoor climate turns unfriendly. The windowsill stands as one of the most important parts of the window, even if it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. 

And in our league, those windowsills are our teams.

Our teams support our views into this other world, giving us a glimpse into the fantasy world we want to see through the pane. It allows us to form these characters - these extensions of ourselves, in some way or another - and compete with them against our friends and enemies (looking at you Patty). Our teams never ask us to support or believe in them - they're merely a vehicle for our fantasies to play out in real time. Instead, we choose to support and love our teams, and choose to make them our own. Maybe you put down some throw pillows and set up shop for a while. Maybe you've found your new favorite relaxation spot, unbothered by the world outside where you can curl up with a good piece of media and a cup of cocoa and forget about life for a while. Or maybe your team is just that - your team.

Each team is different - some are bay windows, allowing you to recline and watch the world at your own pace. Some are small - offering you support, but allowing you to live your life unimpeded by them. And some just love cats. But whatever your windowsill is, I hope you're happy with it.

And I hope you'll come and join me looking through the glass sometime.

(1004)

--

Shoutout @bdu754
[Image: bOaDeK9.png]

[Image: vo42C2b.png]
[Image: hTIaaQX.gif]
HIT SOMEBODY

Cheers to tweedledunn and supertardis101 for the awesome signatures!

Tommy window stream wen

[Image: mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3...a5e635414&][Image: 4028.png][Image: 5431.png][Image: 5570.png][Image: 7241.png][Image: 5906.png][Image: 6149.png][Image: 7950.png]

a thoughtful and moving piece. Now excuse me to go buy some windowsills

[Image: keithley.png]
[Image: mcalister.png]

I've never been so moved by words before.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: ZGneEG5.png]

[Image: sig-hffo-atlason.jpg?ex=660efc59&is=65fc...001e3&.png]

also both are just sitting here collecting dust

[Image: grogu111-A11.jpg]
norway                             IIHF Team Norway                          norway

wow this was beautiful

[Image: A12A5Km.png]

finally some epic medias

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: YOSHI.png?ex=65f214ee&is=65df9fee&hm=80f...e73badf86&]

the beeeg yoshi

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

nice

Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]
[Image: AceIn603.gif]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Beautiful. I'll never look at a windowsill the same again!