Create Account

The Kristjansson Saga - Part 1 - The Beginning
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 05:46 PM by Fluw.)

For the purposes of the articles I will be referring to Gudmundur Kristjansson as GK, as the name is too long to keep typing out every single time I need to mention him.

Part 1: The Beginning.

With Season 63 just starting up, I ended up getting into a writing kind of mood to really delve a little bit into GK’s past , present and future. With that being said, please enjoy my little narrative on GK.

Previously I had represented Patrice Nadeau as his agent during his stint in both the SMJHL and the SHL however due to some injury trouble, and personal concerns Nadeau called it quits after 9 seasons in the league to focus on himself, and look towards a future GM role.
In the meantime that meant that I was out of work, and lucky for me I got a lead one day that there was this young up and coming player hailing out of Iceland named Gudmundur Kristjansson. When I heard that this kid was tearing it up in his local leagues I decided to book a flight, people called me insane, to witness this kid first hand and see if he really had what it took to be a player in the SMJHL, and further into the SHL.
So there it was S53 the year before GK is eligible for the SMJHL entry draft, I found myself taking an uber to the airport, noting my wife couldn’t drive me due to prior obligations. Things really didn’t start of to well for me during the trip, first the car was stuck in traffic, and I really needed to get an aisle seat, these airlines are terrible with seating plans, but obviously I don’t get one! Guess where I had to sit? The middle seat, and the two people beside me? You guessed it, coughing and talking loudly the whole time.
So there I am sitting on the plan anxious to land in Iceland not knowing really what to expect, and so I decided to watch a few highlights of GK’s play on my laptop. The stewardess had come around at this point in time to provide all passengers with refreshments, me personally I just wanted a glass of water, however the gentlemen to my left, pulls out a large bag of chips and starts crunching loudly on them, while slurping ever so annoyingly on his diet coke. “Whatcha watching there?..*crunch crunch*. This guy was leaning over my seat watching the highlights of GK with me, and leaving a trail of crumbs on my laptop keyboard, I dare not say anything for I am rather shy.

“Oh man , I heard of this kid, they say he got the vision and passing of a god, they call him the godmother.” I think to myself, what a stupid nickname, and besides that would make him a fairy which is besides the point, and just as the highlight gets to GK making an impossible pass, the child behind me very aggressively kicked my seat, rocking me forward, and of course Mr. Chip sticks his hand out to catch me but he uses the one holding the diet coke, and it drenches my laptop rendering it unusable. “I am so so sorry he says, I really didn’t mean it I wanted to help” It was fine, my patience was wearing thin but I kept my cool shrugged it off and smiled. Great there goes my laptop, this trip has just been disaster after disaster.
The flight finally comes to an end and as we exit the plane Mr. Chip and I exchange our farewells and I head on to the baggage claim area. I am standing and waiting there for what felt like an eternity when finally as I had given up hope, I saw my bags whip around the conveyor belt. I grabbed them swiftly and heading to grab a taxi. There was no time to waste, the flight being delated had ruined my plans and I was forced to head straight to the game GK was slated to play in, and pray for the chance at talking to him.
No hockey game is the same without some concessions, so I got myself some beer, and nachos and sat back to watch the game. GK was nothing short of amazing,  making quick work of the opposing players. Everyone could tell he was just way too good for this league, but there was really no where else to move from here besides the SMJHL. That’s where yours truly comes in.
Flash forward to the end of the game , I find my way into the locker room where they are having media sessions with the home team. There in the corner of the room I spotted GK, he was just on his phone, minding his own business.
I approached him, and was ready for the worst. I honestly expected to be told off, as I really had no business being there and my whole entire day had kept getting worse as time went on. Surprisingly he was super pleasant and I couldn’t believe that he didn’t have an agent yet.  We both agreed to meet each other for dinner the following day and discuss our future business dealings together.

I could barely sleep that night, constantly waking up, never being able to find a comfortable position. I just couldn’t really believe that I left Canada on a whim to meet an Icelandic prospect with real potential to be a game changer at the SHL level, I really felt there was something special about him. I flipped through the stations looking for something that would maybe lull me to sleep, but I couldn’t really find anything. I don’t remember much after that, I must have passed, however in the morning my alarm went off and I realized I was late. I mentioned that we agreed to dinner the other day. However when I checked my phone, GK has cancelled the dinner and requested that we grab lunch instead. I checked the time, 11:45 am. Shit… I had 15 min to get ready and get to the restaurant we were meeting at.
I very quickly put myself together, I couldn’t screw this opportunity up and I managed to arrive just 5 minutes late at 12:05 pm. GK was already there waiting on me, and I profusely apologized for my tardiness, not a good look when you are trying to get him to sign you as his agent, however GK was very chill, and nice about it.
GK spent a long amount of time describing his dreams for himself, and how although Iceland was a great place he felt he didn’t really have much going for him here in terms of wanting to pursue a career in hockey. Surprisingly, GK  had also told me that I was the first agent to reach out to him, which baffled me. How could a kid this good go under the radar for so long?f you know me , I always come prepared. I had GK exactly where I wanted him, not in a malicious way of course and pulled out my carefully crafted contract papers. I promised him that if he signs me as his agent I will get him into the SMJHL, and the SHL he can count on that. I saw the light in GK’s eyes when I said that, he instantly beamed grabbing the pen and initialling his name onto my documents.  And we had a deal.
I told GK to just focus on his game in Iceland and the results would follow, just trust in the process and good things will happen. GK thanked me and we parted ways.
With that my trip to Iceland had come to an end, and it was time for me to start flexing my agent muscles and do my best to get my new client GK on the radar of all SMJHL teams.
Given my previous track record with Nadeau I was afraid it would somewhat affect GK’s potential of being a high draft pick, not that it really mattered since GK had the talent to show up any teams who skipped over him. I got reports from GK’s team that SMJHL scouts began to flood the Icelandic teams arena to watch him in action , my work was paying off.
After a stellar season in Iceland we were coming up to the S54 SMJHL Entry Draft, and I had bought GK  a ticket to USA, so that both of us could attend the draft in person because from what I was hearing he was going to be selected in the first round. I breathed a sigh of relief at that point because I knew my name and backing did not worsen his chances of being a first round selection.
GK arrived at the airport, and I had a private vehicle rented to pick him up in. We drove to the venue that the draft was scheduled to take place at, since we were a bit behind schedule. GK was very nervous but also very excited to be getting drafted to the SMJHL, one step closer to hopefully making it to the big leagues.
We walked into the venue and sat down in our designated seats. Unfortunately GK’s parents couldn’t make it due to health reasons, and so they were relegated to watch the draft from home with his siblings and grandparents.
The lights dim, the commissioner heads up to the podium, Newfoundland Berserkers are up, your time is 2:00 minutes…Silence.
With the 1st Overall pick in the S54 SMJHL entry draft the Newfoundland Berserkers are proud to select Liam Slate. Everyone claps, in all honesty there was bit of disappointment I had tried to hide. Having Nadeau previously on Lethbridge I still had some personal connections with Newfoundland and unfortunately they ended up passing on GK. I told GK not to worry, it was only the 1st pick of the draft.
The Maine GM was up next:
With the 2nd Overall pick in the S54 SMJHL Entry draft the Maine Timber are proud to select Rikard Bjerg. Maine had a need for defensemen it would seem, GK being the playmaking forward would not have fit in with the teams needs.
Up goes Vancouver:
With the 3rd Overall pick in the S54 SMJHL Entry draft the Vancouver Whalers select Johnny Shuffleboard. There goes another defender off the block.
Next is Detroit:
With the 4th Overall pick in the S54 SMJHL Entry draft the Detroit Flacons are proud to select Kolja Kekkonen.
At this point I could notice GK squirming in his seat, this was his dream after all to play professional hockey outside of Iceland, and he is so close. He just wants his name to be called.
Colorado goes up:
With the 5th Overall pick in the S54 SMJHL Entry Draft Colorado are thrilled to select……….GK. And it all goes silent, at least it felt that way. GK turned his head and looked at me in utter disbelief. I myself was shocked, since while I was hoping he would end up being a first round pick given my track record with Nadeau I fully expected GK to be available in the 3rd round.
GK slowly got up out of his seat completely shell shocked and walked up onto the stage with all eyes on him. The Colorado GM handed him his jersey, and a hat which he immediately put on and smiled with all his might for the camera. “Welcome to Colorado kid!”
And thus began GK’s career in the SMJHL, as a member of the Colorado Raptors, and my rise as an agent.

Stay tuned for part 2 where I delve into the Colorado era of..........

(1955 words)

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

NARRATIVE NARRATIVE NARRATIVE

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .