Create Account

Oliver Cleary Reflects on Trade, Career
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2022, 11:22 PM by Buster.)

It has been 15 seasons since the Los Angeles Panthers took a risk on what was thought to be a raw talent with a ton of potential in Detroit Falcons defender Oliver Cleary. It has been 15 seasons since the same Los Angeles Panthers took a risk by calling Cleary up early and making him a true rookie in the SHL. From there, a wild SHL career started.

Cleary started out as a defensively responsible defender who would always stand up for his teammates. After two Turd Ferguson awards in S51 and S52, Cleary started to focus more on improving his offensive ability and overall play becoming one of the best all around defenders in the SHL for a decade. A selection by Seattle in the S56 expansion draft and trades to Manhattan and Baltimore followed. No matter where he went, Cleary was always in contention for a Challenge Cup championship.

After 55 points in S61 followed by back to back seasons of 43 points in S62 and S63, Cleary has proven that as he gets older his game won't slow down. Unfortunately though, Father Time comes for us all and Cleary knows it will eventually come to him.

“You sort of go into every single season wondering when the game will start to pass you by” said Cleary when we caught up with him earlier today. “Like I know I've still been producing at an elite level these past couple seasons but at the same time, I know the ending is closer than the beginning. At some point, the chute will drop.”

Many are left wondering if this might end up being this season. Baltimore decided to change course this offseason. After being swept by the Hamilton Steelhawks this past postseason, Baltimore came into the offseason looking to find the last piece to push them over the top. In came Adam Barron, Ryu Jones and Tony Pepperoni.

Unfortunately for Cleary, someone had to be on the other end of the big moves. With his high cap hit and his age catching up to him, he was traded by Baltimore to the Montreal Patriotes for a 2nd round pick.

“I mean obviously you never want to move from the best team in the league, especially in the middle of the push to a championship. There really was unfinished business in Baltimore after last season and I would've liked the chance to make it happen. Unfortunately though things had to give. I only have positive things to say about Baltimore and I totally get why moves had to be made.”

Cleary is coming Montreal expected to lead a young core into the future. After coming into the league in S60, the Pats have had a less an ideal start. The team is still looking for their first .500 season. They chose the slow build through the draft and after a couple years, things are finally starting to come to fruition for the young squad. Cleary is being brought in to be a stabilizer for a young core.

“The guys in Montreal are great. They are hungry and they want to help Montreal push into the elite of the SHL. I get the situation though. My first couple seasons in LA were the same as what Montreal has right now. When you build through the draft, you can't expect instant results. I'm prepared to come in and do the work with the guys. I know I won't be pushing for a Stevens this year but hopefully I can show these boys how to be a good pro.”

Montreal is a city with a great hockey history and Cleary is no stranger to this. After being drafted by the Montreal Militia in S47, Cleary asked for a trade away from Montreal almost instantly. The irony of being traded back isn't lost on him.

This is the final year of Cleary's current deal and the defender has admitted he hasn't really thought of what his future holds yet. He knows he'll likely need to take less money and that isn't a worry for him. He just wants to find the best situation.

“Obviously I haven't won a title and once this season is over, that will be something that will be on my mind. Who knows if that will even be a possibility though? Will a contender have a place for an old dog? Will I have to settle for a team trying to make a push? That isn't really what I'm thinking about right now. I know the day I need to hang them up is coming sooner than I thought. Right now though, I'm just focused on having some fun.”

Code:
782 words

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Great write up! We're lucky to have you in MTL!

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

Montreal is lucky to have you. Hell of a presence, and an amazing team mate.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

One of the best users on the site for sure. Would have been stupid not to snag him onto our squad

you’re on montreal?

[Image: ImShiny.gif]

How’s your French coming along

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

a true Seattle legend

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

01-18-2022, 05:50 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: How’s your French coming along

C’est bien

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]