Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #1 - Grizzlies, Show Me Your D!
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2022, 03:02 PM by CptSquall.)

As a defenseman, I'm very interested in the other defensive talent around the league. This deep dive will take look at the top three (active) players on the Great Falls blue line. The Grizzlies have been getting a lot of talk about their strength so far this season, so it was the natural place to start my research.

Vadim Askerov tops the TPE of the Grizzlies defensemen, at 570 total. His build is well rounded, but Askerov is remarkably skilled on the offense for a defenseman. He is well below average when it comes to hitting, but his skill in things like passing and puckhandling far exceed the average.This type of two way player who can make a difference on both sides of the puck is valued highly in the league right now. Putting Askerov on the ice is almost like adding a fourth forward to the line.

Playing the opposite side and trailing in TPE by only 6 is Clem Fandango, 564 TPE. Fandango is the lone active LD player on the Grizzlies roster. A remarkably balanced player, Clem's strongest points are his offensive and defensive read: a player with a mind for the game, not just a talented shooter. Askerov is also strong on the Offensive Read - is this part of the secret sauce of a good defenseman?

Looking back to the right side, we have Spicy McHaggis, a 439 TPE physical powerhouse. McHaggis is a textbook defensive defenseman. He's a massive 6'5", 270 lbs, but he moves like a man of a much leaner frame. Getting a strong, tough guy like this up to speed turns him into heavy weaponry, and he's strong on the body with high ratings in checking and hitting. McHaggis isn't the most balanced of players, most notably falling short of his teammates in shooting skills and offensive read.

The Great Falls Grizzlies appear to be taking a very balanced approach to their defensive core, with a good mix of offensive and defensive talents to utilize in combination with the four forward lines. Time will tell if this is the correct approach, and we'll find ourselves in postseason before we know it. With their high TPE total, all three of these players are a strong presence on the ice regardless of the differences in their stat allocation. These are the big-bodied vets in the league that have the experience and stamina that turn a player into a playmaker.

As far as insight it might give to me as a user who wants to improve their player, I have a few observations. First is that there isn't one "best build" for defensemen. I get stressed out over making poor choices during updates, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Knowing that these three drastically different builds are all viable puts that anxiety to bed somewhat. The second thing that I noticed is that these builds all share a strong core of defensive skills and solid physicals as a base to build from. No matter what role a defenseman plays, they still have to keep the puck out of the net. As far as physical attributes, stamina, acceleration, and agility seem to be slightly more important than the others.

All things considered, I think Great Falls presents a strong blue line this season. They are strong in terms of raw TPE, but the players also bring something unique and individual to the team that the others can supplement or build from to create a more complete defense. 

Having said that, go Falcons!  Falcons

Approved, +5 TPE for @chickentotts

[Image: CptSquall.gif]