Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #2 - S63 SHL Entry Draft Recap
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2022, 04:56 AM by Opera_Phantom.)

For a 500 word minimum article, I am obviously not going to recap the entire draft. Instead I will cover the top 3 picks.

1. Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson (RW) Aurora
The Winnipeg Aurora just recently came off of a horrible S62, winning only 5 games and being the clear winner of worst team in the league. After losing the lottery to New Orleans (owned by Tampa Bay), Winnipeg traded up for the 1oa pick. When looking at the SHL analytics tab, it is clear to see why. The Aurora have the lowest averaged TPE roster in the SHL. With a massive rebuild in bound, Gunnarsson should be able to add to the future of this organization. The Aurora only have one good right winger on their roster, so Gunnarsson should climb the depth chart quickly. His build in my eyes (I am new so this could be wrong) looks to be a two way forward. Strengths include getting open, offensive read, defensive read, checking, and strength. He has reached the 2nd year 350 TPE cap and looks to be in great condition. Currently playing for the Nevada Battleborn, Gunnarsson has 2 goals and 2 assists in 6 games played, easily on pace to beat his S62 stat line of 9 goals and 9 assists in 66 games also with Nevada.

2. Bodhi Utah ©   Rage

Another talented forward off the board, this time to the Manhattan Rage. Manhattan falls into the same boat as Winnipeg, sucking at hockey. Manhattan put together 11 wins in S62 and are also going through a rebuild. The Rage have one active center at 900 TPE with 3 others being IAs on their roster, so Utah was a great pickup. Utah could be some sort of dangler build, with strengths being puck handling, strength, getting open, checking, and balance. Utah currently plays for the Quebec City Citadelles and has recorded 4 goals and 2 assists in 6 games played, so they know how to contribute to offence. Like Gunnarsson, Utah has reached the 2nd year TPE cap of 350 and looks great for S63.

3. Sisyphus Embros ©  Barracuda
Originally owned by New Orleans, the Tampa Bay Barracuda had the first overall pick after winning the draft lottery. The Winnipeg Aurora traded their 3rd overall for Tampa's 1st, which is why the Barracuda selected Sisyphus Embros at 3rd. The Barracuda are a great team and finished 7th in the S62 regular season. They have a good depth of veterans hovering between the 1200-2000 TPE mark, but adding this 350 2nd year capped centreman is a great move. Embros will join Tampa Bay as a fast earning 4th line center and have the Barracuda's stacked on the face off dot. Embros looks like a puck moving playmaker to me. With strengths being passing, puck handling, positioning, stick checking, and strength. Embros is currently playing for the St. Louis Scarecrows and has 2 points in 7 games. This stat line is not impressive but if you look at where St. Louis is in the standings, last place, it makes complete sense. Either way Embros was a great selection at 3rd overall and should help Tampa Bay continue their dominance.

Approved!

+5 TPE @ajwllmsn