Create Account

Making a new line of SHL merch.

I sat down and did some (heavily estimated) math.

I found a bulk dealer that sells the right kind of mesh in a few different colors. I know a professional costumer/seamstress who could conceivably do 10 jerseys in a hypothetical entirely custom order. Would is another question. I know where to look to find somebody to do custom embroidered patches. I'd have to ask around and leverage some connections. For a bit of background, I used to sell sewing machines, mainly embroidery machines and the classes on machine use and troubleshooting as well as the design software.

I managed to get it down to $220 ± $15 on materials and labor. Adidas seems to sell most of their jerseys at $230. There are a couple of limitations, mainly on chest patch size, since getting a non-industrial embroidery platform that does patches over 8"x8" is expensive. There are a few workarounds that I can think of, but I've never tried them. It's a process that would take some experimentation. The other big limit is bulk ordering materials. I guess ordering white and custom dyeing is an option, but...

[Image: giphy.gif]

Anyway, Spreadsheet.

List of Considerations and Assumptions:
  • Overhead for any design quirks to make the patches bigger or any variations in material costs are not accounted for, mostly because it's hard to quantify time and resources that would be expended. The Design Billing pays off the licensure of the software and a couple of other things that I'd have to pay for to make this work.
  • Embroidery in this format is pretty comparable to 3D printing. The hour count here is for a 10 letter name, 2-number patches, no front letters (As or C) and an 8x8 logo with a couple of thread changes, bobbin reloads and changes, and some extra tolerance.
  • Jersey Assembly refers to pattern cutting, sewing, and finishing. I'm basing it on the Costumer's rate with practice. She Scares Me.
  • I couldn't remember or find the datasheets I had on stitch length, stitches per inch, and stitch time. I know that I estimated generously, though. Better to be pleasantly surprised.
  • Two hours later, I realized that I didn't account for sales tax. I fixed it, but gosh...
  • The 2nd tab is where I got a little deep earlier and started going through to figure out how much overhead there'd be to stock colors of thread to do all of the teams.

Shit, now I've done most of the math. If there's enough interest, I'll see if I can get the ball rolling. It's probably a long shot, but I can ask.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

02-01-2022, 01:05 AMCapt_Blitzkrieg Wrote: I sat down and did some (heavily estimated) math.

I found a bulk dealer that sells the right kind of mesh in a few different colors. I know a professional costumer/seamstress who could conceivably do 10 jerseys in a hypothetical entirely custom order. Would is another question. I know where to look to find somebody to do custom embroidered patches. I'd have to ask around and leverage some connections. For a bit of background, I used to sell sewing machines, mainly embroidery machines and the classes on machine use and troubleshooting as well as the design software.

I managed to get it down to $220 ± $15 on materials and labor. Adidas seems to sell most of their jerseys at $230. There are a couple of limitations, mainly on chest patch size, since getting a non-industrial embroidery platform that does patches over 8"x8" is expensive. There are a few workarounds that I can think of, but I've never tried them. It's a process that would take some experimentation. The other big limit is bulk ordering materials. I guess ordering white and custom dyeing is an option, but...

[Image: giphy.gif]

Anyway, Spreadsheet.

List of Considerations and Assumptions:
  • Overhead for any design quirks to make the patches bigger or any variations in material costs are not accounted for, mostly because it's hard to quantify time and resources that would be expended. The Design Billing pays off the licensure of the software and a couple of other things that I'd have to pay for to make this work.
  • Embroidery in this format is pretty comparable to 3D printing. The hour count here is for a 10 letter name, 2-number patches, no front letters (As or C) and an 8x8 logo with a couple of thread changes, bobbin reloads and changes, and some extra tolerance.
  • Jersey Assembly refers to pattern cutting, sewing, and finishing. I'm basing it on the Costumer's rate with practice. She Scares Me.
  • I couldn't remember or find the datasheets I had on stitch length, stitches per inch, and stitch time. I know that I estimated generously, though. Better to be pleasantly surprised.
  • Two hours later, I realized that I didn't account for sales tax. I fixed it, but gosh...
  • The 2nd tab is where I got a little deep earlier and started going through to figure out how much overhead there'd be to stock colors of thread to do all of the teams.

Shit, now I've done most of the math. If there's enough interest, I'll see if I can get the ball rolling. It's probably a long shot, but I can ask.
This is something the head office should need to take a look at before we get the ball rolling on anything it was just a suggestion. I wasn't expecting to get NHL quality mesh to be quite fair, but if the interest is there who knows maybe other people would be interested too.

[Image: FR-B3jfXsAAvEaW?format=png&name=small]

Thongs.

I didn't forget.

Still want my thongs.

We have looked into Jerseys, ultimately there wasn't a site that allowed us to build templates for people to order from, we would have to submit a custom order to wherever we were ordering from. The cost would be somewhere between $100 and $200 per jersey just off the top of my head depending on how it is printed. If someone wants to do this they can reach out to me, I have the original logos in vector format and it can definitely be done, but as far as I've seen there is no automated shop like redbubble for hockey jerseys.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

02-01-2022, 07:19 PMDrunkenTeddy Wrote: We have looked into Jerseys, ultimately there wasn't a site that allowed us to build templates for people to order from, we would have to submit a custom order to wherever we were ordering from. The cost would be somewhere between $100 and $200 per jersey just off the top of my head depending on how it is printed. If someone wants to do this they can reach out to me, I have the original logos in vector format and it can definitely be done, but as far as I've seen there is no automated shop like redbubble for hockey jerseys.
I'm sure a clothing company could get around to some sort of good price range. I wasn't expecting top notch material anyway. If it can happen it can, if not then I guess we won't. I have my way around with a graphics design company wouldn't be a bad idea if I could get ahold of them and see if they would get into this sort of market when they are struggling for business sometimes. This might be a good side job for them in a way. 

https://www.owayo.com/konfigurator_html/...en&land=us

Another market that could be tried, I don't know how good they are, but it's worth a shot finding someone who can actually do it. I will see what I can come up with if anything at all.

01-31-2022, 11:14 AMCarpy48 Wrote: Having jerseys would be a nice idea, but I have one concern: what about people that live elsewhere (as in not North America)? Usually jerseys aren't cheap in general, then you add shipping and import taxes and well... after all that I'm usually out, because it's not worth it anymore. The advantage red bubble has that they print and ship from different countries around the world. We are an international community after all.
The one I just listed also is in Germany so it's actually less of a hassle for people in the European area.

02-01-2022, 10:09 PMShylo_Moxii Wrote:
01-31-2022, 11:14 AMCarpy48 Wrote: Having jerseys would be a nice idea, but I have one concern: what about people that live elsewhere (as in not North America)? Usually jerseys aren't cheap in general, then you add shipping and import taxes and well... after all that I'm usually out, because it's not worth it anymore. The advantage red bubble has that they print and ship from different countries around the world. We are an international community after all.
The one I just listed also is in Germany so it's actually less of a hassle for people in the European area.

Okay, thanks for the info. There is also a company called jer53y (if you google it, it has different country websites), they make custom jerseys as well, but I don't actually know where they're based. I believe in CZ.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

I can't imagine them delivering to Brazil, just a comment.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR