Create Account

A message from Cassius Darrow
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2022, 10:11 AM by hhh81.)

There’s no good way to say this.

I’m done. This will be my final season in the SHL.

I have always been a competitive person, comparing myself only to my own standards for excellence. Early this season, I knew I felt I had lost a step to my game. I never want to be the old man surrounded by people 10 years younger than me, trying to capture faded glory. I will go out on my own terms. I have talked at length with my agent, Mr. Hamilton, about how the end of my time as a professional hockey player might look. He of course thinks I still have a few more seasons of good hockey in me. After 20 years playing between the SMJHL and SHL, I know I am ready to step away.

Thank you to the Colorado, Buffalo, and Seattle organizations for helping me have both individual and team success throughout my career. It wasn’t always easy, but I have never asked for anything to be easy in my life. I am hopeful Seattle can add one last Challenge Cup to end my SHL career as it began.

I will be stepping away from hockey for a time. Mr. Smalls and the Seattle organization have offered me a number of options to join team management in my retirement, but I am comfortable moving onto something outside of hockey. I’ve always had interests outside of the sport that helped balance my life. Cooking and reading helped me be a better hockey player, I feel. I’ve given a lot of thought about how my formal education never really went past year 10 in Germany. I’ve always loved to learn, and hope to further my formal education in my post-hockey life. I don’t know what that will look like. I may find other ways to foster my lifelong love of cooking, and I’m sure I’ll host at least a few more team dinners even after I retire.

While I won’t be working for the Argonauts, I will be remaining in Seattle with my family. I will have more time to spend with my two nephews, my sister, and my mother. We have a long trip back to Germany planned for this summer to see family and friends. I will continue to support the Lambert House here in Seattle, helping mentor LGBTQ youth in our area. It’s an organization close to my heart, and a small way I can continue helping others. I don’t know a lot about running a non-profit, but the staff has asked me to serve as a board member. I think I will do that.

Thank you to all the fantastic players I’ve shared the ice with over my career. To my original teammates, Alexander Selich and Jakub Novak, and to the other Raptors I loved playing with in J.P. Gay, Anastasia O’Koivu, Eric Vanderberg, and  Nick Brain, to my three-time teammate Michael Scarn, and onto the Buffalo greats—Viktor Marius, Cedric Robinson, Alexis Metzler, Elizabeth Doyle, Tatu Makela, Charles Walker, and so many others.

To my Seattle teammates—I was honored to spend a short time with former rival Tig Murphy, and I’ve enjoyed mentoring the young Kermit these last few years. Leading alongside Bo Kane and Abel Skinner, and mentoring the next generation—Reid, Pod, Dee Centerman, JURT, Thor, Darzins, RESO, and many others. It has been quite the career, and I leave the Argonauts in good hands. Being named the first captain in Argonauts history is one of the greatest honors, and I have no doubt the next captain will carry on the legacy I started here.

Until we meet again,
Cassius

Quote:Ready for grading

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

02-02-2022, 10:11 AMhhh81 Wrote: JURT

Who?

[Image: lespoils.gif]

02-02-2022, 10:25 AMlespoils Wrote:
02-02-2022, 10:11 AMhhh81 Wrote: JURT

Who?
Cassius is slow with the times. Jean-Uhtred, of course

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

recent fellow addition to the retirees club Gunnar Söderberg provided the following statement (totally unprompted, we didn't ask him, he just showed up and asked to make a statement)

Cass, you are the epitome of a class act, one of the people I looked up to throughout my career, and the kind of role model we need more of in this sport. I've enjoyed every time we've gotten to speak (and our brief D&D adventure before Johnny took over), and now that you're out of the game, we should team up on some banquets or whatever culinary thing it is Johnny keeps strongly hinting we should do together.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Hell of a career!

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Thank you Captain for teaching me how to be a professional and responsible hockey player in this tough league.

[Image: salming.png]

It's a sad day.  One of the players Lyle always wanted to play like.  Darrow was one of the best, on and off the ice.  Enjoy retirement.

\_\_\_

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

FAMILY

[Image: 8pRoFZH.png]

Thank you for being such a great captain to the FAMILY  Argonauts Argonauts

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

Congrats to the legend! Enjoy your retirement

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]

Legend

[Image: giphy.gif]

Thank you for everything Trips. One last ride for the old man down the stretch here

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Congratulations on an awesome career from an awesome user

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

Oh captain, my captain  Cry

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: YOSHI.png?ex=65f214ee&is=65df9fee&hm=80f...e73badf86&]

Congrats on your retirement, Trips!

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!