Create Account

S63 PT #5: Source Code

I think what FHM does right, it does it well. There are a lot of stats to look through and having advanced stats is really cool. You can use the underlying numbers to help build your roster better and find the right line combos. The different player types are cool too, letting you build your player the way you envision, but also having the sim make your player play the way you want as well. It's also pretty clean looking and the text game play isn't too bad for a simulation hockey program.

The one thing that I think is sorely missing is box scores. I still can't believe you can't go to a specific game and click to see the box score. If you missed a game on the sim, there's no way to check how your player did in that game. We shouldn't have to rely on screenshots to get that information. Box scores are literally available anywhere there are sports played so I don't understand why FHM doesn't have them. Bring me box scores!

(177 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
33-12-1
Regular Season - [G 6] [A 8] [Pts 14] [+/- +25] [PIM 30] [Hits 22] [SB 87]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

Prompt 2:

One thing I've always really liked about Franchise Hockey Manager 6 as well as previous and subsequent entries to this esteemed series of video games is the diversity of player roles. Normally, video games (Like EA Sports' annual half full diaper entry) compartmentalize player types into very wide reaching categories that don't really account for the many different styles that modern players have. FHM of course has a million and one ways that your player can approach their game. Where goal scorers in many other games (or even casual fans' minds) get slapped with a "sniper" label, that doesn't totally account for the guys who tend to fire from range to create rebounds or the Ryan Smyth types who will score using pure willpower in front of the net to grind a puck in. Similarly, breaking down two-way forwards and defensive forwards (likewise for defenseman) allows for a greater stylistic expression and immersion into how your player plays, even if it's not something we can always "see" necessarily.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

There are certain elements I have noticed in FHM that just happen too often in a sim that almost never happen (or shouldn't happen) in a real hockey game. And those are goals that are scored on the first shot in a game. Yes, of course this can happen, but there have been sims where both teams scored on the first shot. Multiple games like this. Too much of a coincidence to be realistic, yet not really a bug as far as I know. What I would like to see and yet have to see in FHM are goalie goals. They do happen (or what about goalie assists? STHS had them too), but somehow FHM doesn't like them. I'm not sure, but I don't think they are even possible there. Last but not least - can we talk about unrealistic things happening with backup goalies? How often have we seen some 155 TPE inactive backup goalie getting a shutout against a good team? Perhaps that falls into the "goalies don't matter" category and I don't think I need to talk about this in detail.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Using my new found control over the SHL I implement the most random results and changes I can think of. I will write down lines and teams on giant wheels and spin and allow fate to decide. Maybe on the first day Baltimore will decide the play 5 goalies in place of skaters and the water boy in net. Only the wheel will know for sure. On the next day they may win the cup. All trades and contracts will be done by spinning a wheel as well. Chicago has decided to offer Ben Jammin $87 million for a single season! The only issue is he has to play by himself since there is no money to pay for any other skaters. That is what the wheel decided though. How about the fact that tactics are all done by spinning the wheel. Hamilton has decided to never shoot the puck. They will only skate around and pass the puck. The best part is the league thinks there is nothing wrong with that.

Code:
172 Words

[Image: dangle.png]
     Sig Credit: Ragnar
[Image: vaxlare.png]
Sig Credit: Moosey

Falcons  |  Raptors | Stampede |  Patriotes |  Czechia
[Image: vokU6Ra.png]     [Image: 0ioPVRj.png]

PROMPT 2:

Overall I think the sim does a pretty decent job of encapsulating the sport of hockey. There's definitely some time you're left scratching your head after you've out shot your opponent like 50-20 and lose, but it's rare and it does happen in the NHL too which leads me to my first main point, randomization. Perhaps one of the best things about hockey, or any sport, is that any one can win. The sim tries to capture that as best it can, but something just feels missing sometimes. One thing I do like about the sim is the variety or roles, or at least the variety of roles to choose from. You get to pick that playstyle you want to play and your player will go out there and play it. That's not often the case in professional sports as you're typically molded to fit a need unless you're an absolutely exceptional talent that the rest of the team is built around.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2022, 04:51 PM by CaptainCamel.)

Prompt 2

I think as far as simming goes, FHM does a pretty respectable job. I love the depth of all the different stats, combined with roles the GM can put on your player, it really feels like you can truly customize your player to be the type of player exactly like how you want them to be. I love watching lives sims. I like that it will take a break for highlights without doing it for the entire game, but it balances highlights with lots of highlights where things don't really happen, making it always a nail biter when one pops up. Some of the highlight commentary is a bit silly. There have been quite a few times where it'll say that there's a wrap around attempt, but that the shot went high 3 feet over the net. I guess that's someone just doing a REALLY shitty job at the lacrosse move.

WC 155

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]

Prompt 2
The Franchise Hockey Manager system does a pretty decent job of mimicking the game of hockey in a simulation format. At the very least, I can tell that the developers have actually seen a game of hockey before, unlike the developers of other sim engines used in sim leagues across the community (Wolverine Studios, ugh). My biggest issue with how the sim treats the game of hockey is in how it looks at goalies and goalie performance. Goalies obviously have attributes, same as skaters, but those attributes seem to have little impact in their actual performance in the game, at least in terms of current attribute limits used now. Goalies with near-max attribute struggle, while those with relatively low attributes can dominate as long as the team around them is strong. This of course does happen in real life, but not to this extent. Goalies then become little more than a barometer of the overall team strength, which isn't very compelling to the user base. There is also the way the system treats goals per game, where it tries to normalize the GAA averages across the league so they aren't too high, or too low. If you're on a bad team, your goalie could have a very high SV% because it faces a tremendous amount of shots, but also a very high GAA as well, given the amount of those shots. There has to be a better way to balance this and make it more true-to-life.

[Image: v71TGsT.gif]

Prompt 1 graphic
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/2...ramePT.png

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska

Prompt 2
FHM is fun to watch, but it leaves a lot to be wanted. I enjoy the sims that SSL, SCFSL and PBE has because they have those little sim people running around rather than text at the bottom that I'm trying (and failing) to follow. It would be nice to see little hockey dudes skating around, pucks being passed, and saves being made.

There's also a lot that could be done to support goalies. The attributes are slim, and I've seen it argued again and again that it does not matter what TPE a goalie has. It seems like it's only shootouts where the goalies have a chance to shine.

Also this is just evil but injuries. I know they were turned off for a reason, but they're a huge part of real hockey, and make and break teams. Also as a narrative person, that would be insane for the narrative side could you IMAGINE. But injuries off, I totally get.

I just want little hockey sim people I can watch. Make them speak simlish too. Thanks.

176 words

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

Prompt 2

Hockey is probably one of the hardest major sports out there to simulate properly. Being a hyper-dynamic and fast sport, it makes it very difficult to track in a statistic environment, and the legitimacy of various statistics is often brought into question. Even with the rules of the game being average in simplicity/difficult (in my opinion) to other major sports, it is played in quite a complex manner.

All of that is to say that my acceptable range when it comes to what makes a sim accurate is very wide. People called STHS random, and yet it had less underdog victories in the playoffs than the NHL, and the IIHF, which can be especially random given its short run time and single elimination format, experienced five golds in a row for Ireland, a feat of consistency comparable with how many describe FHM.

I'm sick of hearing people describing an odd happening as "FHM being FHM", when it's more accurately just hockey being hockey. I suppose we'll always have sim haters, but overall the only thing I dislike between STHS and FHM is exploits and we have dealt with those pretty well thus far in my opinion.

Finally, I'd love to see anything added to streams to make them more entertaining, as the novelty has worn off and I now find them less engaging than PbPs (I'm dropping ALL the unpopular opinions now lmao), such as the 2D sim engine, but I suppose that'd require one of the newer FHMs.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

I don't have much real-life experience with hockey (or much viewership experience, for that matter), so I probably don't have the chops needed to assess what FHM does well in terms of simulating a true hockey game. But my understanding is that line changes occur every minute or two, and the sim either needs to describe that too verbosely for the amount of time taken or skip over a lot of unnecessary details at the risk of seeming 'incomplete.' I think the sim straddles that line well, and errs on the side of the latter (excluding unnecessary details, e.g. players who are not involved in the play presently) while providing a customizable experience if you want the painstaking, pass-by-pass, minute-by-minute actions. I certainly think it's presented better than STHS and does a good job diversifying attributes so you don't just throw all of your TPE in scoring and suddenly win all of the games -- a pain the VHL is going through currently -- and from what I've heard is a not too distant experience for the SHL either. Ultimately it does a good job of existing in a form where it's still easily portable to a sim league environment while being engaging enough to stream, and I think that's more than good enough for a sim league. The inequalities in test simming time are never going to be resolved, and that's what's creating the imbalance in any and every sim engine.

[255]

[Image: qgldMOE.png]
Thanks @Amidships!

ISFL Ultimus Week

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Prompt # 2

side note: this is the only time I have chosen to do the second prompt this season. 

While I believe that Franchise Hockey Manager does a decent job of simulating hockey, there are a few areas where I believe it falls short. Primarily, and arguably the most difficult to quantify, is the simple unpredictability of the individual players. Every season there are amazing players who go on horrific cold streaks, or previously nameless fourth-liners who rise to the occasion and have outstanding seasons. 

This extends into the SHL as well, which is a similar, but different case. In my mind the biggest deficiency of the SHL in representing hockey in a simulation is the lack of injuries. Now, I fully understand why this choice was made, and for the sake of user participation and enjoyment, I agree with it. But that is not what this prompt is about. Furthermore, I find the progression via TPE in the SHL is extremely linear, and players settle in to a long grind of slowly, steadily improving in their role, and then peaking, and declining via a similar process. This is where the SHL sits furthest from reality, in my mind. Player skill and progression is never a straight line, and, especially as we've seen over the past two NHL seaons, neither is regression. Veterans experience renaissance years, players peak later into their twenties, and promising sophmores struggle to find the magic they captured.

Now I have absolutely no clue how to go about addressing these perceived deficiencies, but again I'm not the ideas guy. By the looks of it, I'm just here to nitpick. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk

[Image: banes.png]

I think FHM does a good job having different roles for each player, although I am not sure the SHL system really does it justice, but whatever. At this point every uses the same player roles so does it really matter? I also like that FHM tries to make the sim league viewer experience good, but it kind of not great to watch due to the unrealisticness of it. So many defenseman breakaways and just yeah, it seems broken. I like the overall look of the FHM menus/game. The good thing is that good teams win and bad teams lose which is what should happen. At this point it feels like SHL parity is just so bad that FHM just really makes it look awful having half the league being trash. I feel like SHL needs to find a better way to use it somehow, but I am not sure or smart enough to figure out what that is. Overall the league is kind of bland in the FHM era.

171words

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie