Create Account

S63 Championship Week

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Code:
5. Graphic, 3 TPE, McFly
You’re angry that you didn’t win the cup this year! (If you did win this year then I guess it isn’t enough to satiate your hunger for victory) You build a time machine and join a past winner in their cup winning game. Show me your modern player in an old timey challenge cup game or championship photo. Label your player, and make it clear what team you’ve joined and in what season.

Link

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Los Angeles has been riding their top players for almost a full minute more of ice time than Hamilton has theirs. If you were a coach, do you buy into this strategy? Do you let your top guys leave it all out there every night or aim for the most balanced attack possible?
b. Guy O'Shea and Evangelos Giannopoulos have been absolute block machines for Hamilton in the playoffs with 109 between them. If you’re looking for offense in this series, how do you get around these two defensemen?
c. Los Angeles’ defense, on the other hand, has not been afraid to join the play and put up points. How do you prepare for a five player offensive attack? How do you counter?
d. The starting goalies for these teams, Olof Karsikko and A Jobin have been nearly unbeatable up to this point with a 0.937 and a 0.927 SV% respectively. If you’re a player on the other team, how would you get inside their heads so that you can put the puck in the net?

a. I think that you naturally you are going to want to lean on your top guys during the post season, and if you are lucky enough to make it to the finals then that is not going to stop. Regardless of what I think those top players are going to want to be on the ice as much as possible, wanting to do everything they can to get the win. [70 words]

b. Guy O’Shea and Evangelos Giannopoulos are putting their bodies on the line for their team to give them every opportunity to win games. If you want to score when they are on the ice you have to get creative with your plays and really make sure that you are moving the puck around the ice in the offensive zone. [59 words]

c. Having the D men join in on offensive plays is definitely a scary prospect to face. You really have to be mindful on the defence when they are in your zone and you want to be careful of them coming down deep. Having defenceman getting deep in the offensive zone does open them up to counter attacking so that is something to keep front of mind. [66 words]

d. It’s no doubt that these goalies are a big reason why their teams are in the finals. Regardless you have to get shots on them and you have to do it as soon as the first period starts. Don’t let them get comfortable and if you get in front don’t take your foot of the gas. Keep pushing and make them doubt their abilities in net. [66 words]

Code:
7. Graphic, 2 TPE, The Peoples’ Favorite
Yes, this task can stay. Design a championship ring for either team, you may use the fancy ring site. Here's a link: https://designer.trophysmack.com/productdesigner/index/index/id/97/template/MTUz/cid/MzMwMDA2MzU2Mjk2Mjk=

Link

Code:
8. Graphic, 3 TPE, Don’t Work Free
As we all know, for some reason players don’t get paid for playoff games. You want to make some cash on the side while you’re busy playing for free (or while you’re sitting on the sidelines not playing at all) so you accept a lucrative Instagram marketing deal. Create a social media post showing your player promoting a product of your choice. Include a speech bubble with a fun catchphrase or slogan for the product.

Link

Code:
9. Graphic, 3 TPE, Misprint
Whoops! The card printer was trying to get ahead of the game, but it didn’t go so well. Design a Challenge Cup/Four Star Cup Championship Hockey Card for a player that has LOST a challenge cup finals.

Link

Total TPE: 16/16

[Image: sigrotator123.gif]
 [Image: UEX4RCQ.png]  [Image: PHI-pepe2.png]  [Image: r2pSvNf.png]
Special thanks to Carpy48, Ragnar, Merica, High Stick King, Sulovilen, sothfacekilla, enigmatic and LeSizz for the signatures!
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2022, 02:48 PM by GCool.)

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification Word: LAP

Code:
2. Written, 3 TPE, Back In My Day (150 words min.)
The SHL has been around for the sim-time equivalent of 63 years now! That’s a lot of time for things to change. What was the league like 62 years ago in season one? Did nobody wear helmets? Were players allowed to smoke on the ice? Plenty would have changed in over six decades!

Well, back in the true GOLDEN AGE of simulation hockey, the league could not be bothered with such niceties as 'helmets' or 'pads' or 'goalie masks'. With simulation hockey not being nearly as popular in its humble beginnings, the owners felt it best to get their players paid - rather than protected or insured. I suppose sometimes it comes down to those sorts of big decisions. At any rate, fighting was more or less encouraged; if there was not an official fight in the books by the third period, each team would send their enforcer out on the first shift to duke it out. Whichever team's enforcer won the fight got the neutral faceoffs moved to their attacking zone for the first half of the period. Over time, this rule went away, but not because of the huge advantage; people at home were having a hard time keeping up with where the faceoffs were. I guess it's hard to make all of that clear in radio commentary. [168]

Code:
3. Written, 3 TPE, Those That Came Before (150 words min.)
When did your franchise last win a Challenge Cup? Write about that team, some of the key players, and what intangibles they had going for them to be able to win it all. If your franchise hasn’t yet won a cup, choose any cup winning team and talk about why you’d like your current team to emulate them. Did they have an all time great roster? Were they scrappy under dogs?

The last time the Los Angeles Panthers won the Challenge Cup was in Season 17, winning 4 games to 2 over the Toronto North Stars. The Panthers have been to the Finals a handful of times since then, but the S17 squad was truly special for a two reasons. First, the S17 Panthers had three award winners: Jamie Shelter won the Mike Honcho (fewest goals allowed all season), Fabian Fuhrberg won the Razov (playoff MVP), and Niclas Wastlund won what is now called the Lance Uppercut award for the league's top GM. So while the Challenge Cup champion typically has a fast track to the playoff MVP award, having the best goalie and the best GM sets your team up for success. Secondly, this team was built well with some stellar rookie power. The Panthers won THREE Ryan Jesster awards from S11 to S14, and all three of those winners (Smirnov Light, Brandon Donini, and Marian Potoczny) went on to make huge impacts. That's good drafting and management right there. [172]

Code:
6. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Los Angeles has been riding their top players for almost a full minute more of ice time than Hamilton has theirs. If you were a coach, do you buy into this strategy? Do you let your top guys leave it all out there every night or aim for the most balanced attack possible?
b. Guy O'Shea and Evangelos Giannopoulos have been absolute block machines for Hamilton in the playoffs with 109 between them. If you’re looking for offense in this series, how do you get around these two defensemen?
c. Los Angeles’ defense, on the other hand, has not been afraid to join the play and put up points. How do you prepare for a five player offensive attack? How do you counter?
d. The starting goalies for these teams, Olof Karsikko and A Jobin have been nearly unbeatable up to this point with a 0.937 and a 0.927 SV% respectively. If you’re a player on the other team, how would you get inside their heads so that you can put the puck in the net?

a. I'm not sure there's a right answer to always have in mind with this scenario. The Panthers lack the top-to-bottom depth that the juggernauts we're used to seeing battle every season in the Finals have. If the top forwards on the team can handle it with their stamina, there's no reason not to let them give the Panthers the best chance to win each night. I don't think it necessarily means that the team can't win with the other players on the ice; in fact, if they're more rested, it might even up the matchup. [104]
b. The key is going to be crashing the net and getting behind those defenders. A lot of those blocks are going to be coming from defenders venturing out to the point and blocking higher shots that are meant to be deflected a few times. Look for Donair to be harassing Jobin around the crease during this. [56]
c. There isn't a counter to a 5-man attack; you can't play 5-man defense, otherwise you're playing to tie and you can't do that in the playoffs! LA has been successful taking scoring from all angles, and Hamilton has done things a little more traditionally with staunch defense and high-octane forwards. If Hamilton stays tough at the blue line and minimizes chances for ANY of the 5 scorers on the ice for LA, it will eventually work toward their favor. [86]
d. This is truly Donair's time to shine. I'm here for it. We have to CRASH THE NET! That's the only way to really get inside a goalie's head. Making sure he knows that you're there and going to be blowing some snow up in his face every chance you get, for 7 games, while the rest of the team is firing pucks at maximum speed -- it's an 'if', not a 'when', I get to Jobin back there. [83]

Code:
12. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

+3 Milestones

Code:
14. Written, 3 TPE, Blew it up (150 words min.)
In your opinion, which team is has performed a successful rebuild and built a legacy around starting from the bottom? What constitutes a successful rebuild? Cups? Playoff appearances? Is this team still poised to do great things in the future?

I really think that, regardless of the final outcome in this series, the Los Angeles Panthers rebuild has been successful. The most important part of this rebuild has been the patience and togetherness that [most of] the entire team has shown over the past year and a half. The bulk of our core is from the same draft class, so that obviously helps with respect to the true 'window' of opportunity, but it wouldn't be like that if everyone in that class wasn't earning close to the max season in and season out. The goalposts naturally move as to what can really constitute a 'successful' rebuild, but I think that starting to make the playoffs a few seasons ago (despite losing in the first or maybe second round) and progressing to here has shown that the team is improving STILL and truly has a chance to be in this position consistently for the next 4-7 seasons. [159]

Code:
21. Written, 2 TPE, No take backs 2 100 words min
Leviadan has made the grave mistake of becoming PT director. I'm already sapping his life source and joyful innocence (yum). How could you, as a user, also make his job unnecessarily difficult? Make media about his shit PT prompts? Write your submissions in Spanish?
DISCLAIMER: IF YOU DO ANYTHING TO MAKE HIS JOB HARDER YOU WILL BE BANNED 

Good luck! One super difficult thing could be to type up your PT in Word, and then post a screenshot here. I'm pretty sure that's as close as I can get to the forum equivalent of taking a picture of your computer monitor with your phone and then tweeting that photo. The second half of this action is the most important to be difficult, though: when I'm inevitably docked TPE because I technically didn't satisfy a word count on the forum, I'll take it to the ThunderDome and argue on [really loose and hardly factual] principles of working hard and doing the work and then just cuss out the entire management team across the league for allowing such a defamation to happen in the first place. Man, that sounds like the S20s for sure. [139]
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022, 03:43 PM by DarkCanuck29.)

Code:

Dark

Code:
The SHL has been around for the sim-time equivalent of 63 years now! That’s a lot of time for things to change. What was the league like 62 years ago in season one? Did nobody wear helmets? Were players allowed to smoke on the ice? Plenty would have changed in over six decades!

Back in the first days of the SHL, things were very different. Firstly, no one wore jerseys. One team was shirtless and the other wore non matching T Shirts. The Shirts Vs Skins rule made for some pretty rough injuries when players on the skins team would slide across the ice after a body check. And as for smoking on the ice, I was under the impression that that still happened today. I know for a fact that Duncan Mackenzie fills his water bottle with booze and then smokes a 1/2 of a pack of cigarettes each intermission.  Finally, goalies were allowed to wear pads and masks, but they were not allowed to wear skates. They had to use curling shoes to make their way around the ice. Choosing which foot to put the grippy shoe on was a bit strategic decision and decided the first championship. It was a crazy rule, but thank god we have come so far today where the rules have created hockey so dull we can all just sleepwalk through the games.  

Code:
4. Written, 3 TPE, Extinction Event (150 words min.)
Rumour has it that millions of years before the SHL began, there was a pre-historic “Dino Hockey League” that dominated the global sports market before a meteor wiped out most life on the planet. Describe that ancient league. Maybe name a couple of teams or players, tell me about how the Dino league’s rules differed from our current ones? This one is pretty loose, just have fun with it!

The JHL, Jurassic Hockey League, was around for several million years. Obviously, in that time there was many iterations of the league and a ton of rule changes, but overall, it closely resembled the modern game we call hockey. Originally. the league was split into two conferences, but not split along geographical lines. Instead the league was split into Predators and Prey after a game where over one thousand minutes in penalties were assessed after a team of carnivores devoured several of the herbivores players.  Eventually, the league allowed mixing of herbivores and carnivores on the same team and teams policed themselves.  Of course, there were still incidents that occurred. The Raptor Brawrd Mwaaaaarchand was notorious for taking chunks out of the opposition and was suspended 15 times in his career, a record that existed to the end of the league. The largest dinosty (see what I did there?) belonged to the Salt Lake Tarpits who won an incredible 24 JHL championships in 30 years. Their captain for the majority of the time was a T-Rex who sadly could never lift the cup due to his tiny tiny arms.

PRESENT

Code:

a. To win the cup, your best players have to be your best players. That is the only way to make it happen. It is the finals and the strategy got you here. You absolutely must continue to ride those top players like rented mules. They can rest in the offseason, now it is time for glory and painkillers.

b. The best way around these defencemen is through them. It is tough to play hockey when you are on your butt sliding towards the corner. Everyone knows penalties are not called in the playoffs, so you must embrace that and become the dirtiest team in existence. If you aren’t cheating, you are not trying. Either that, or aim every slapshot in Game 1 at their ankles.

c. It is fairly simple to play against a team with five players joining the rush, counterattack. You’ve got to absorb the pressure and spring your speedy little dudes on breakaways.  You have to eliminate stupid risks and play a very disciplined game of hockey. No 50/50 pinches from your defencemen and all forwards hustling back like they actually might care about defence.

d. Clearly the right answer to get inside the head of the opposition goaltender is to initiate every bit of contact you can in game 1. Again, nobody is calling penalties, so just hack your way to success. Hit the back of those legs with sticks. Get that stick under the chin of the netminder. Full on body checks in the corner. Make the goalie PAY for every inch of crease.

Code:
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 12 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.
+3 TPE Milestone Thread

Code:
21. Written, 2 TPE, No take backs 2 100 words min
Leviadan has made the grave mistake of becoming PT director. I'm already sapping his life source and joyful innocence (yum). How could you, as a user, also make his job unnecessarily difficult? Make media about his shit PT prompts? Write your submissions in Spanish?
DISCLAIMER: IF YOU DO ANYTHING TO MAKE HIS JOB HARDER YOU WILL BE BANNED 

Only an idiot would make Leviadan's job harder. I would simply write everything in French, on of Canada's, and therefore Hockey's, two official languages. It would be pretty simple to just copy paste that into google translate or the equivalent, but it would waste just a tiny amount of Leviadan's time. OH yes, it would waste a significant amount of my time trying to write it all out in French, but I would be willing to do that just to mildly inconvenience this guy who I have never and will never meet. Is it petty? Yes. Yes it is. But that is the kind of energy I could bring to this if pushed.

[Image: %3E%5Balign=center%5D]
Aurora Winnipeg Aurora Aurora
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2022, 10:36 AM by Toast.)

GM CW Pass

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022, 08:07 AM by Eynhallow.)

panda

In today’s terms, the time frame we are talking about would have been the 1960’s.  One big difference is that a person could actually afford to go to a game.  In 1962, you could see a game for as little as $1.50:
[Image: qsOr7I3OPCgeeIX6cHlxxF5jBKfolmqS8kb3XX3T...MDmVwqvC5T]
This is a far cry from the ticket prices of 2022 where the average cost of a ticket is $150.00.

Another thing that would stand out by way of comparison is that players did not wear helmets.  The NHL made helmets mandatory four decades ago. Any player who entered the league after June 1, 1979 had to wear a helmet.  

Players did not smoke on the ice.  However, they frequently had a puff in the dressing room between periods.  Fans could smoke in the stands which added to a layer of haze that was prevalent in most hockey arenas.
Another thing that I would comment on is that the style of game was much different.  Yes, there were skilled hockey players, but a greater emphasis was put on the physical aspect of the game.  
[Image: e2xQfgZuK1pGOOyYcz-bXlJ_ApD3ZFOOekta8COd...McyhpwWEWL]

Rumour has it that millions of years before the SHL began, there was a pre-historic “Dino Hockey League” that dominated the global sports market before a meteor wiped out most life on the planet. Describe that ancient league. Maybe name a couple of teams or players, tell me about how the Dino league’s rules differed from our current ones? This one is pretty loose, just have fun with it!

The Pre-Historic Hockey League (PHHL) debuted some 75 million years ago.  It was populated in its entirety with cold-blooded dinosaurs.  These very scary players wore no protective equipment as their natural scales seemed to be protection enough.  And if your protective covering was not sufficient there was still little to worry about as you would be eaten on the spot. (by the fans, I might add !!)  Hockey sticks were merely large curved tree trunks with a club-like knob for a blade and pucks were whatever kind of disgusting thing that could be found. Of course, games were played on large frozen bodies of water which limited hockey to far northern or southern areas.

Goaltender positions were usually staffed with massive blocky Titanosauri.  These guys were about 120 feet long which necessitated a much larger net than we would be used to.  Defencemen were generally made up of a core on Tyrannosaurus Rex .  Their size and ferociousness were intimidating at the best of times.  Forward positions were typically filled with Megalosauri.  They were quite effective at this position given a size of about 20 feet and a top speed of over 30 miles per hour.
[Image: wNQkPyfx7SPWsnNQMxyOvY8lLA3JUv-YjOJM7pLJ...fnON7hTK_M]

A.)  A lot depends on the relative youth and conditioning of the player.  Can those guys keep up that pace even for a 4 game series.  There is another consideration,  What about team chemistry.  If two players are occupying the majority of the ice time what happens to the mental state of those guys sitting on the bench.  Overall, I favour a more balanced team effort, but, having siad that, you do whatever it takes to win a cup.

B.)  I am impressed with the way these guys block shots.  To counteract this stifling defensive ability, I would encourage my players to make short quick passes around the blocks and try to get a greasy goal from in front of the net.  Its a tough physical challenge, but it can, and has, been done.

C.)  This type of run and gun offense is very hard to defend as there is almost relentless pressure in your defensive zone. It will take a concentrated defensive effort to win the puck battles along the boards.  The intent would be to chip the puck past the pinching defenseman and to capitalize on the resulting odd man rushes. 

D,)  Goalies that are this hot are hard to beat.  They play positionally very well and generally stop what they can see.  You need set screens with one or two players to take the goalies eyes away.  Their ability to play positionally will allow them to stop the initial shot, but there should be some kind of juicy rebound for the screeners to take advantage of.

18. Written, 3 TPE, zzSnoop Lionzz 150 words min
Well it happened. A general strike by the goalie union led to a mass retirement of goalies and now ALL of them have either quit the site (based) or recreated as a skater. HO has implemented a bot goalie system, but decided goalies were too underpowered and gave the goalies 20 in every stat, even the mental ones we can't upgrade. How does the season play out now that goalies are gods (godbots?) among men. Does anything really change?

So, the SHL goalies have gone on strike !!!  Truly a scary thought !!  Initially, it gives one pause to consider why that might have happened and to try to negotiate a better deal for goalies.  But that is not the case.  Firstly let me state that there is no other one position that can affect the outcome of a game as much as the goaltender. Given what the league has done (20 in every stat), the complexion of the SHL will change dramatically.  You will have goalies with 0.975 Goals Against Averages.  Given a combined average of 70 shots per game, that means that there will be less that 2 goals scored per game on average.  Fans want to see goals.  Unless you are a purist, this will make for some pretty boring hockey.  However, the system works for every team and each team would have the exact same goalie….again…how boring !!   My guess would be that teams would have to put a premium on shots on net,  If you work the numbers, the more shots you get, the more likely you would score.  The league would be pretty much without variety,

12. Milestones

1 TPE.  Link

[Image: Rinky-sig.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2022, 09:05 PM by Tylar.)

Code:

Sad

Code:

I would say one real major change in SHL since its existence is that the culture of SHL has certainly shifted and is modernized. Early SHL culture would very much be considered toxic and would be cancelled. Bullying and racism was very much apart of the SHL culture within locker rooms and on the ice as well. A lot of the main figures of past SHL would be cancelled or there would be revolts to remove them (for example past SHL commissioners). There is a reason why there are not many people from the past involved in the league currently. Some have tried to get involved but were not fits anymore with current SHL culture.
In terms of on ice things I would say the player skill level was a lot lower than it is now. Players who were really good back In the day would be UFA fodders or signed to losing on purpose teams. I do not think most players back then would even be able to really compete in todays version of SHL. The game and league have changed so much that stars back then would be the level of borderline SHL players.

(196 Words)

Code:
I think this might be a depth issue and if Hamilton has better depth than the Los Angeles Panthers might find themselves in trouble with their top players being rode into the ground as the playoffs are a long battle. It will be interesting to see if they can manage to run their top players into the ground to the win though. (60 Words)

I would assume you would have to just be very aggressive with them and forecheck them. If they are as effective as they have been trying to go through them will be a waste. It will take a lot of patience as well from the Panthers. They are going to have to play their game and not let frustration of blocked shots get to them.
(65 words)

I would assume you just have your forwards play a little more defensive and clog the attacking lanes/neutral zone. Counter attack forward while they Defenseman are up in the play. I would imagine this would cause a lot of odd-man rushes and or a lot of forwards being forced to play defenseman and defend the rush.
(57 Words)

I would say because it’s the playoffs just go head to the net and play to the whistle. Both goalies are average type goalies at best behind good teams. Both are not unstoppable while their numbers are both good, both benefit from playing behind good teams. Play hard to the whistle, create havoc and see what happens.
(57 Words)

Code:

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3181701 (3 TPE As Per Link)

Code:
13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)
BWOMP BWOMP BWOMP PARITY ALERT PARITY ALERT- Well, a new team in the finals since the mid s50s, it only took ten seasons. Is parity solved? Will new teams make it in as the old guard becomes a forgotten waste of brain space? Don't forget, Hamilton is here AGAIN. Yes we have new teams... but what if it's TEX HAM again next season? Is that even likely?

No parity is not solved. Just because one team magically decides to win one season to me shows it was probably due to luck. The same final teams were in the final 4. I think SHL has to see more results to say it has been solved. Next season will likely be a Buffalo Stampede, Hamilton Steelhawks and Baltimore Platoon/ Texas Renegades or Chicago Syndicate. The only saving grace is that these teams do have a lot of players getting pounded by regression so maybe that will help. I will wait and see what happensnext season before declaring SHL is fixed.
(100 Words)

TPE 16/16

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2022, 03:02 PM by Henrik.)

GM CW Pass

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

GM CW Pass

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2022, 01:43 AM by leafs1997.)

1. 1 TPE
hello

2. 3 TPE
Well, I wasn't around then, but let's talk through what I THINK the league was like back then. Firstly, it must have been fairly boring, since I wasn't there! Yeah thats not that funny. Anyways, I would imagine players played without helmets back then, similar to the NHL (I don't know the exact year helmets were required in the NHL to be fair). One thing I know for sure, there was parity in the league back then. Right? There had to have been. What season do you think it all went wrong? Should we just start again? That might be a shout to be honest. Besides that, I think the games were probably more chaotic with players showing up a few minutes before puck drop, more cherry picking, more turnovers, less defensive plays, goalies being hung out to dry. Basically, the league was probably more fun back then. Now, we've got a few teams just doing exactly what I detailed while the rest of the league has to play it by the rules trying to get every possible edge to try and keep up.

6. 4 TPE
a) Considering the opponent is stacked HAM, you need every edge possible. If that means running your top players into the ground, so be it. Its the playoffs, they'll get through it. Use everyone else sparingly, in the right situations. Anything else, tap the top guys. Now, if there was parity in the league, would we need such a tactic?
b) You've got to line match here. Put your top guys out there and hopefully they're smart enough to place their shots well. Sure, they can block, but you can also hold on to the puck for a second longer, throw their timing off, and then let it loose. Get some boomers in there too. If they want to block shots, make them pay for it.
c) You need defensively sound players on the ice, ideally at all times, but at least whenever their top point getters are on the ice. To be honest, I think HAM is more stacked anyways, so they should be able to tire those guys out and then still be able to send out an OP line after that. Is this really an issue for them?
d) Just hang around the net a bit longer whenever you're by it. Sometimes, silence speaks volumes. If you trash talk someone to their face, that's something they're probably used to. Now, if you give em looks every now and then with a sense of superiority, that might get in their head. Pair that with a willingness, nay eagerness, to crash the net at every opportunity, they'll be scared out of their jock.

12. 3 TPE
+3 TPE - S63 Milestones

13. 3 TPE
It is a good start, that is for sure. However, we aren't out of the woods yet. Parity is when we have a genuinely competitive season and playoffs every season, not every now and then. So, a ways to go still. This could mean that one conference has made more strides in terms of parity as opposed to HAM's conference perhaps? Now, if LAP can get the win, I think that is a win for parity for sure. If nothing else, it will give other teams a boost of confidence. Hopefully they can then continue pushing and make the moves necessary to upgrade their teams. I'd say we're getting there though. In my own experience, as a top line player on NOLA, I've seen my player continue to develop and slowly make his way up the ranks in fantasy points for example. Of course, this doesn't mean much, but its a sign of things to come hopefully. Anyways, we'll see what happens next season then!

19. 3 TPE
Oh wow, that makes complete sense. Parity improving they said, hah! No progress made whatsoever, that's unfortunate. Always next season! We've never heard that before right? Anyways, I think we let them get away with it to be honest. We don't have any proof at the moment anyways, so why bother. Besides, if they actually win as LAP, they won't get any of the accolades that come along with winning a championship. For example, when they switch back to their own bodies, they will be forced to watch LAP plan a parade, raise a banner, get raises in their next contract negotiations (based on their playoff stats), maybe even go down in history as having "improved parity"? TEX players will soon lose their minds and blurt out the truth themselves. Then, we'll have them dead to rights and then we can just get them kicked out forever. Can't beat them? Let them delete themselves. Parity achieved.

21. 2 TPE
Oh, this is easy. I loved your prompts, they were new and fun. People were dumb and complained about stuff being more fun, imagine that. Now, to make his life harder, I could simply just turn the tables here. As the prompts slowly return to the usual run of the mill boring ones, I can easily just complain that I liked the current prompts better. And thus the cycle continues. Hopefully he continues the journey from okay-ish common prompts to the solid funner prompts we're currently getting used to to wherever it goes next. Hopefully we don't go backwards though. Everyone stop being mean and be supportive. We'll have more fun that way automatically.

[Image: leafs1997.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

Simmer PT PASS!
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2022, 12:26 PM by Whitecap.)

1. Spinach (+3TPE)

6. (+4 TPE)
- I'm definitely a fan of playing your best players as much as they can handle. Icetime needs to be earned, and if you're producing you should be entitled to more icetime. Ideally the team would have three lines producing equally but that's obviously not going to happen, so instead you need to be giving the icetime to the players who deserve it. (62 words)

- Ideally you would set your whole lineup to be goons and injure them. Wait what's that? You can only have one goon? There are no injuries?  Fine, in that case you would probably want to beat them with skill and good skaters. If your players are fast enough then they don't need to worry about these two hitting them. (59 words)

- Well there's a couple of ways you could go about it, one of those is the way Hamilton seems to be going: having some great, physical, defensive defensemen to shut them down. Otherwise you could hit them with some skilled offensive defensemen yourself and just hope to outscore them. I'm usually more of a fan of the defensive approach but the offensive way is definitely more fun to watch. (69 words)

- Well, if I was Hamilton I'd be exploiting the fact that Karsikko is comparatively a very young player and not nearly as experienced. Means that, on paper, he's less skilled as well. However, the Panthers can rest easy knowing that their goaltender has been putting up the better stats so far, which is something that might get to Jobin's head as well. (62 words)

12. Milestones (+3 TPE)

14. (+3TPE)
In your opinion, which team is has performed a successful rebuild and built a legacy around starting from the bottom? What constitutes a successful rebuild? Cups? Playoff appearances? Is this team still poised to do great things in the future?
- I would say there has been a few teams that have done exactly this in the past few seasons, but in my opinion none have had a more successful rebuild than the Baltimore Platoon. Just a quick look at previous standings show them finishing 17th out of 18 teams in S56, with a dismal 10 wins in 50 games. After another rough season in S57, they started their upward trend the season after where they finished 11th. By S59 they became a top 3 team in the league and have yet to relinquish that status after concluding S63 in first place. The only roadblock to them being a perennial finalist seems to be the Hamilton Steelhawks, who've knocked them out in the semis three years running. Baltimore is a younger team so they'll have plenty of chances in the coming seasons to convert this regular season success into a Challenge Cup. (151 words)

18. (+3 TPE)
Well it happened. A general strike by the goalie union led to a mass retirement of goalies and now ALL of them have either quit the site (based) or recreated as a skater. HO has implemented a bot goalie system, but decided goalies were too underpowered and gave the goalies 20 in every stat, even the mental ones we can't upgrade. How does the season play out now that goalies are gods (godbots?) among men. Does anything really change?
- After the general strike by the league's goaltenders proved to be unsuccessful, they all decided to retire, hoping that the league would recognize the importance of their role and backpedal to meet their demands. Instead, it seems that no one really cared. The league replace the goaltenders with bots with maxed out stats, which made people realize that goalie TPE really did mean nothing as their stats all seemed to remain unchanged. Some goalies had record breaking seasons, only to follow them up with dismal ones. Others were consistently bad, while some were good every season. This made the league realize there's a flaw in the sim engine with how it handles goalies, and people decided they were better off having these bots so that more people could fill the positions that actually mattered. The SHL proceeded to enter the most successful and active era of its history. (I'm just kidding I love you goalies but you have to admit goalie TPE has a minimal effect) (166 words)

= +3+4+3+3+3 = 16 TPE

PanthersPanthersPanthersPanthers

KnightsKnightsKnightsKnights

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 07:44 PM by supertardis101.)

1. done
12. Milestone Link

18. Ironically, a development as major as this actually causes the scoring to go up in the league. As has happened so many times in human history, when presented with a challenge to our every existence, we have prevailed. We are a race of people who have prevailed in the worse of circumstances and always will go the extra 110% to do things right. The great goalie buff has made skaters have to work harder than ever before to score goals. Because of this challenge faced by the worst of the goalie bot revolution, humanity has to work harder than ever before and truth prevails in the face of destruction. This challenge to overcome the machines will not stop us! We will prevail and we will defeat Skynet!... ur the SHL head office. Were gonna do something crazy and we are going to score the most goals in SHL history! Let's do this and lets defeat the machines!

20. I am going use to this space to advertise the Professional Baseball Experience! This PBE is my home league and has been one of my favorite places on the internet for a number of years now. I joined about two years ago when I was very very bored in the middle of the first Covid lockdown and I believe it to be one of the best decisions i have ever made. I really love the league and I just love the sport of baseball in general. Right now baseball does not love us so much, so it is awesome to have a place where I can go and enjoy some baseball anyway! I have made so many awesome friends there and really done the whole sim league experience in the matter of a single player. I love that league to bits and I hope that I will always have fond memories of it as I grow older and may not be in sim leagues anymore. I would not be a part of this league or a part of the ISFL if not for the PBE. They got me into it, and by god I hope I never have to leave. Would absolutely recommend for some fun Baseball action!

PBE PT

[Image: image0.gif]
[Image: psdforbrookssiganimatedwhitetext.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2022, 09:44 AM by High Stick King.)

Code:

When Spack Jarrow joined the league, he had zero knowledge of the history. One of his first tasks was to research the league just like any scholar would regarding a subject. He turned to Facebook to learn up on it. And learn up Jarrow did.

Apparently, get this, there is a little known fact that the very first season of the league wasn't even played on ice. That's right, the league originally began as a floor hockey league of all things. Teams didn't have enough money to produce the ice to play on so it was agreed that the players would just run on a field instead of skate to save some money. This is why evidently that the original name of the league was the "Shoe Hockey League".

It took several seasons but eventually the players revolted and the league put in ice. The meaning of the name changed over time and now here we are. Crazy story but absolutely true.

[ 162 words ] - 3 TPE

Code:

Roar! Rooaaaarrr!!!! Roar. Roaaar!!!

Don't lie. When I say the word "dinosaur" the first thing that pops into your head is "hockey", right? They are synonymous with one another. This is why the DHL or rather "Dino Hockey League" was such a massive success back in its day.

Obviously the game hasn't changed that much since those pre-historic days. Skating is skating after all. The dimensions of the rink were a bit different but the ratio was about the same. The differences is when it comes to position. The species plays a large role in determining where the dinosaur plays on the ice.

For example T-Rex's were mostly goons who almost always failed to control their temper/appetite and would eat their opponent. Probably as expected.

Stegosaurus' are generally the defenders using their size and armour to their advantage. The speedy forwards were often the Raptors who were smart enough to open doors evidently.

Last but not least were the goalies who were Brontosaurus for their mere size.

This all makes perfect sense.

[ 173 words ] - 3 TPE

Code:

S63 Milestones - 3 TPE

Code:
13. Written, 3 TPE, Parody (150 words min.)
BWOMP BWOMP BWOMP PARITY ALERT PARITY ALERT- Well, a new team in the finals since the mid s50s, it only took ten seasons. Is parity solved? Will new teams make it in as the old guard becomes a forgotten waste of brain space? Don't forget, Hamilton is here AGAIN. Yes we have new teams... but what if it's TEX HAM again next season? Is that even likely?

I've probably said this before but looking at parity in a short time period is fruitless. It is like analyzing a long-term stock portfolio every day in hopes of immediate success.

Much like how the SMJHL judges the best GM by looking at a 3 year sample size, parity should also be looked at the same way. Using a minimum of a 5 year scope is the only fair way to say if changes are taking effect. You can't judge a draft class after one season, it takes years.

You'd need to compile the results from seasons 59 to 63 compared to season 54 to 58 to see how the league has changed. How many upsets were in each time-period? How often did the same team return the next season?

I've only been here for the last 3 years so I am woefully under-educated on this topic so I can't say if the league is better or not in this regards. Only that a larger window is needed to judge it adequately.

[ 174 words ] - 3 TPE

Code:
15. Written, 2 TPE, The yearly IIHF task (100 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC if you care about that more. Will there be surprises? Will any players make their country proud? Who's gonna suck? Be bold!

The WJC is currently underway and Jarrow is in his 2nd stint with Team DACH. Last season didn't go as well as Spack had hoped so this season was something he was looking forward to. Especially after such a poor regular season.

So far Team DACH has performed fantastic with a 4 win and 0 loss start. The wins have been by big margins and a couple of huge games against the Finish team. Jarrow's been getting plenty of ice-time but hasn't factored on the scoresheet much yet with only 1 point in those 4 games.

Things are going pretty well for the team so far and, fingers crossed, we hope to see them make it deep into the tournament.

[ 120 words ] - 2 TPE

Code:
18. Written, 3 TPE, zzSnoop Lionzz 150 words min

Well it has finally happened. The league has gone off the deep end and jacked the goalie stats to 20.

The pre-season is crazy as almost every game completed in shutouts as the vast majority of the managers refused to put in their lines so all the players were playing in strange positions. This made a lot of people angry and the thunderdome threads were popping off. A couple people immediately retired.

Once the regular season began, the proper lines were set and games began simming. All teams finish the first week of games with less than 1 goal per game except one team which didn't seem to be affected at all by the changes to the goalies. You know which team we are talking about. Wink wink. Once again, thunderdome popped off with outrage and finger pointing. A couple people immediately retired.

The regular season finishes with a record low GAA for all teams but... you guessed it., one team (that team) who averaged the same amount of goals as the previous season. Thunderdome. People retired.

Onto the playoffs, it goes exactly as you expect it. That team dominates and wins the cup.

Your Season 69 Champions Cup winning team, the Winnipeg Aurora!

- WaAhHhH bUt ThE gOaLiEs!!!

Too bad! We won! Suck it!

[ 214 words ] - 3 TPE

Code:
20. Written, 3 TPE, Free Advertising 150 words min
If you're in another sim league and are using 4 of those CW tasks here, you can do this task to advertise that league in your CW. What league is it? Is it fun? How does it work? What are the pros/cons of that league, especially in comparison to the SHL?

I am in both the WSBL (basketball) and SSL (soccer) sim leagues on teams that are starkly contrasting in their level of competitiveness. For this reason I'll choose to give some free props to the SSL.

The SSL or rather Simulation Soccer League is a small but fast growing community. We know that many people are already active in other simulation leagues and have real life commitments so this league was made with that in mind. The weekly commitment is minimal and if you are already a part of another sim league there is a good chance it is affiliated and can save you even more work.

The sim itself provides an exciting experience with FIFA like visuals and intense game play. Using the state of the art Football Manager 2022, several of the members of the community help provide play-by-play of the match-day videos.

Get your career started and sign up before the start of season 3. There is still time.

[ 162 words ] - 3 TPE

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022, 07:43 PM by Asked Madden.)

1. Shaft

4. You are damn right I'm writing about Dino league. The DHL is actually the first known instance of organised sport on planet earth. Whilst similar to the current SHL it was certainly a lot more barbaric. Firstly, before the game you had to hunt for your hockey stick, this was done in the day leading up to the game. This was done by stripping the correct shape bone from one of your kills that day, the Allosaurus floating rib was the pinnacle of hockey sticks at the time and hunting them for these led to them almost becoming extinct. A team of velocaraptors actually invented farming in order to keep a steady stream of these ribs for their own team.
There wasn't any sort of padding and the dinosaurs had to just remember who was on their team. This usually ended with them sticking to their own species to ensure they didn't get confused. 3TPE

12. Milestone 1TPE

13. Having been in this league for a while bunch of time now it is very clear to me that parity is an issue that gets the motor running and people heading for the highway. Do I think think it is solved? I don't know, do you think its solved? I don't know that you know either.
But what I do know is that I have been trying to reach you about your cats extended warranty.
Listen the shl is great fun. But parity? Nah, no parity. Was it parity when Hamilton grabbed a chip again? No.
Was it parity when NOLA once again didn't make it to the championship series? No.
This league is deeply flawed with teams who can constantly do well, playing teams who can't run the sliders. Take NOLA for instance, we have the largest age gap between GM and Co! Is that a recppe for success? Possibly. I don't know. But what I do know is I was there in 1998 when the undertaker threw mankind of the top of hell in a cell. 3TPE

18. Everything was going well until the Goalie bots attacked.
Arkz and Mooty broke the news. Goalie strikes happening around the league and they didn't want to be the scabs jumping the picket line. NOLA lose 2 good men well 1 man and 1 bear but the team keep trucking.
The evil corporate machine that is known as head office have decided to spice things up though. Maxed out goalies all around! We're not talking your run of the mil bots with their cute pun names based on the team they play for, no. Head office have given every team a maxed out freak of cyber nature.
This seemed like a good idea at a time with everyone in equal footing but before long the sim was a riot. Noone could shoot on these damn roidbot 3000s. Teams ended up joining together to even try and score own goals tk finish the games. Players couldnt finish, streamers lost their lives. It was a mess. Hamilton still made the final

19 Of course I'm taking this shut down. The Texas renegades have done some space jam shit and essentially stolen the bodies of the Panthers (if not the skills of them).
You might think this means I'm going to go and get kidnapped by the looney tunes to go and play against the Texas Panthers or whatever they're called but you wouldn't be correct (I couldn't afford the licensing)
No this is totally different. I'm calling in the help of 2 if the best groups of crime fighting cartoons from the early to mid nineties. That's right, you guessed it.
I'm calling in the biker mice from Mars, and the street sharks. JAWESOME.
We are going to create a super team and destroy them through a mix of awesome hockey play combined with sweet shredding guitar solos. The culmination of this is a downhill ski race between the leader of the street sharks and the captain of the not Panthers,winner gets the girl.

[Image: Hockeymans.gif]
[Image: E8Qr7c5.gif]
Sigs by: Rum Ham, Orbiting Death x2, Enigmatic & Kyamprac
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2022, 02:43 PM by sulovilen.)

Code:
Verification: confirmo

Code:
5. Graphic, 3 TPE, McFly
You’re angry that you didn’t win the cup this year! (If you did win this year then I guess it isn’t enough to satiate your hunger for victory) You build a time machine and join a past winner in their cup winning game. Show me your modern player in an old timey challenge cup game or championship photo. Label your player, and make it clear what team you’ve joined and in what season.
I went to the S1 cup game. Turns out I had an edge with my modern equipment. It was fun.
[Image: R7D5CAx.png]

Code:
I think everybody loves food, because we kind of need it in order to survive. So I would throw them off by asking them some puzzling food related questions. Like if they would rather give up all hot food or all cold drinks for the rest of their lives. How do you make that choice? No more ice-cold coke or no more warm burgers? Thinking about that just drives you crazy.

Code:
3 TPE

Code:
14. Written, 3 TPE, Blew it up (150 words min.)
Of course I'm going with the team that I know the best, because it's the easiest to write about. San Francisco Pride. The rebuild started right around when I was drafted in the S55 draft. It was a rough one, as the team didn't have a lot of assets from the start and the locker room was honestly pretty much empty. So it definitely started from the bottom, no doubt about that. HLO and Smith have kept building the team through good drafting and trades, and we have been steadily taking steps in the right direction for a long time. And now as Henrik is stepping down from the GM position, the team is ready to compete. It's up to the new management and players how much success will follow, but the rebuild phase can be viewed as a great success, because it has led the team to this point where we are set to be very competitive for the next few seasons.

Code:
20. Written, 3 TPE, Free Advertising 150 words min
If you're in another sim league and are using 4 of those CW tasks here, you can do this task to advertise that league in your CW. What league is it? Is it fun? How does it work? What are the pros/cons of that league, especially in comparison to the SHL?
I am in another sim league, yes! It is SSL, the Simulation Soccer League. It is a lot of fun. It uses Football Manager as the sim engine, and like probably already clear, the sport played is soccer. Or actually football, if you realize you can't call something football if it's mainly played with hands, and it's not a ball, but an egg-shaped thing that's being tossed around. Two big pros. One: 3D sim  eingine, so you can see your player do sometimes good, sometimes bad things on the pitch. It would be awesome if SHL had that too. Another big pro is that there is a lot of familiar usernames on the site, so you don't have to learn to know everyone from the scratch. But obviously there are also people you probably don't know, so you will make some new acquaintances too. The cons are only that the league is still pretty new, so a lot of the processes are still finding their forms, and there isn't as much user-generated content (like media, graphics etc.) yet. But it will come.

[Image: sulov.gif]