Create Account

S64 PT#0: Read the Room

I think serious prompts are better for me than the over-the-top story ones. I can dive in and write general stuff about hockey with little issue but having to think of creative story prompts takes too much time. While I don't mind writing PTs, I want to dive right in and get typing, not have to worry about what I'm going to write or how to make sense of it. I think overall we have good PTs with the mPT and other little bonus prediction ones so I think keeping the course would be the best bet. Keep offering additional prompts for those who want to have more fun with it and leave the basic prompts for people who just want to get it out of the way. This way everyone is happy and we don't need to change up the system to keep things how they are. Maybe we could look at bumping up the mPT to a JPT that we see in other leagues?

Code:

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

I feel as though the nature of the beast when you have been around leagues like this for so long is that no matter what prompt you choose to give me, no matter how fun the prompt could theoretically be, I will not have fun purely because it feels like a chore I have to accomplish to be the best player I can be at any given time.

It has felt this way for a long time, and at this point I am so unbelievably thankful for affiliate status, because I think the only thing that would stop me from being in two leagues at this point is doing the point tasks on a weekly basis. I struggle to accomplish one point task, and do not think I would participate in both leagues if I needed a point task for each one, even if they are only one hundred and fifty words. They just are not really fun anymore, maybe they never were for me.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

I really appreciate how Slash made attempts to connect PT's together, usually through an ongoing story. However it did feel difficult to choose that option, especially when you passed on the option the week prior and went with the secondary, standalone option. I think if PT's are to be connected, it needs to be a way that doesn't brute force the storyline along, but leaves it up to the user. What I mean by this is that in a way some of the PT's felt like the narrative or story was being railroaded. This was just a few of them, and maybe I was just being a negative butthead about it, but that's the gut reaction I had to a few of them.
I do think Slash and our new friend will do amazing, and that the issues around PT's and creativity hang more on 2 things - the emotional state of the league, and hopefully reworking cash-flow a little. I did like the idea of these write-ups being a part of media somehow.
Ending note - I do seem to write about dumb RP stuff that would happen off the ice, rather than on it. Easier to type about which player is a fatass rather than write out a heroic game winning goal lmao

PTs are really just a means to an end for me. The easier it is for me to drone on for the first hundred words or so, the better. Generally, I enjoy tasks that don’t require me to spend a ton of time analyzing actual results in the sim. While I enjoy the hockey part of the SHL, I’m much more interested in the locker room experience and getting to chat on discord with my friends. Usually, having a player in the league just kind of comes with the territory of doing that.

Back when I was new to the league, I would check results pretty consistently. I knew every player in the league and which user owned them. In those days, I didn’t mind a PT that had to do with team stats or player performance. I prefer now to be creative and write things that are more based on things my fictional character could be doing. I prefer that.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

Hi Dan, welcome to the new position. we're all rooting for you and now that you will try your hardest to keep the prompts fresh and entertaining.
The PT's that I like (and I believe many other users like as well) are the more creative prompts that let the user/player riff on a fun idea surrounding the SHL universe. The world creation is something that draws a lot of the nerds to this site, and giving us an outlet to build humorous backstories and share longform jokes in a place other than discord is welcome. PT's are one of the best ways of injecting creativity into the site. I imagine that a lot of it is luck based, but Slash, Hotdog, and Izzy (sorry if i am missing anyone) have done such a great job of finding the intersection of creativity, simulated hockey, and short form essays, that I trust the PT director choice process, and I'm sure you will do well, too.

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

PBE Affiliate PT

Prompt #1

I actually enjoyed all of the Prompt 1s that @SlashACM had.  Having to create a narrative over the course of a whole season kept me involved and I would always try to create some silly graphic or recreate some meme and make it relate to some strange guy trying to peddle you these colorful pills.  They were always the more entertaining option over the rinse and repeat Prompt 2s that would always start with “What has you excited for this Season?”, “How is your player doing so far?”, “What trade deadline moves do you think will happen?” etc.  I am pretty sure I could have went back seven seasons, found a similar-ish PT, copied it and updated a few player names and team names and could have pulled off a decently written PT that would answer the prompt, but those constantly zany Prompt 1s kept me on my toes and did not make me dread getting 3 TPE each week.

Quote:160 words

[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: 6QlU4ci.png]

Prompt 1:

I enjoy prompts that are more personality and story than just vanilla hockey.  Especially when it builds across a season, calling back to previous prompts so I'm not just starting fresh every single week.  I really like where we landed last season around having the kind of canned hockey related prompt depending on the mood. 

However, I also feel like I can go through an entire season of PT's and not feel any kind of engagement with the season that is actually playing out.  Championship week comes around and asks how the season went compared to expectations or who had whatever storyline, but I'm not engaged with anyone besides my own team and the teams we're competing against for a playoff spot.  I can compare standings between seasons, but don't have much frame of reference for how the season developed from start to finish.

It could be cool to get some of that engagement through PTs.  We do Deep Dives which have rookies engage with the actual game to produce some analysis, but then never return to that concept beyond the rookie season.  Instead of making up total nonsense about my player or games that didn't actually happen, there could be some prompt about how the season is developing each week.  Unfortunately, so much would change in the standings between posting the prompt and when it is due. You could ask about a slumping team then they go on an absolute heater and the prompt makes no sense.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

Back when hotdog was PT director i enjoyed writing point tasks. Not to say that I do not enjoy them now, but now as you can see I write my point tasks hours before they are due, but back then I used to right point tasks hours after they were first released. I also used to actually write decent content in my point tasks, but now I stretch out as little words as possible, evidenced by the amount of times I have written the words "point task" in this point task, instead of just writing PT like a normal person. I will always complete every point task regardless of whether or not I enjoy it simply because it is a means to an end and I want to earn as much TPE as possible to keep my player for as long as possible, so basically you can disregard my opinion because no matter your prompts, whether good or bad, I will complete them anyway.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

I enjoy PTs that allow us to be our players. I really enjoyed the run of PTs the other season where we had the opportunity to write about a tournament the highlighted our players in their current time of their career. It was great to be able to go into the thought process of my player coming up to a big game, after a win or a loss, how they go about actually feel when the puck has dropped. One of the main reasons I got into this league was the draw of create a player, create their backstory, and shape their career. These types of PTs are great and would love to see more of them. I know it's more work, but the 2 prompt set up that Slash introduced was a great addition and think it should never go away. I couldn't even imagine being a PT director, so I appreciate what the position does for the league. Coming up with new a intriguing ideas is something I have never been able to do, so good on you for having that creativity trait! Wish you nothing but luck int he new gig!

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

It was a bad mistake made in the preseason, fortunately, that's the kind of stuff that end up not having impact on the ranking of the team but it end up having a bad impact on the morale of the team. Buffalo was leading 4-0 when starting the third and suddenly it was 4-4 before Doyle was able to realize what happened. The game was tied, but not lost yet. Preseason also meant that she would stay in the net despite crumbling behind the team, though most of them tried to tell her it wasn't her fault for half the goals. However, she misplayed the puck toward the end of the game and ended up passing it directly to the best forward of the other team, ending up in a breakaway and a goal. While the guys were not too mad at her, it wasn't the same thing about management, who didn't like to see their starter die like this on the ice. To make up to them, she treated the team to ice cream, which delighted most of them.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

I believe PTs are not gonna be fun at all for those not into writing even if it is the most creative prompt. As a non writer, the creative prompts ease the pain of having to write but so many words. I really liked what Slash brought to the table as PT director. While sometimes a little out there, it was refreshing than to see "What are you excited about this season". I especially enjoyed the pill PTs that ran throughout the season and think PTs that can carry forward are more enjoyable. The boring side of me would say make a PT about league feedback beyond the end of season survey. That way HO can get some feedback that's more than just drop down choices, if they have time to read through those replies. Otherwise, just keep going would be my advice. At the end of the day, it's only 150 words and it took me about 5 minutes to type this up so I won't lose sleep if prompts are boring.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/DYZ5jqO.jpg[/img]

I continue to enjoy PTs where you can choose between prompts, and I do like to have story/character options rather than "how many points did your player score last game" kind of prompts. I really enjoyed slash's story approach from 2 seasons ago, and had a lot of fun with that. If you can make PTs that follow a timeline, that is so neat.
I think I'm one of the minority that does really enjoy writing PTs with my player and getting creative with answers, so if there are more simplistic prompts I certainly won't complain, it's just really fun to have an outlet and an opportunity to think about how my player would react to things.
I love love love prompts that give the opportunity to @ people. The marriage PT?mPT? last season was an absolute blast. We were all sharing answers to it in the team LR and commenting on each other's answers. More like that, if possible, would be really awesome!

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

Prompt 1

In general i prefer pt prompts more related to the current state of the league whether it be stats/standings wise, about teams/players or some league controversy/decision. Creative and narrative/lore prompts about our players I usually do not like as much. That being said there still are some of the more creative prompts I do enjoy and find hilarious and some more league related ones I find boring and mindless or the topics been talked about so many times already. I think the latest change with Slash with the 2 prompts for every pt has been a great addition as there's usually at least one prompt I find at least somewhat enjoyable and I'm sure many others feel the same. Although in the end with being on SHL for so long and coming to the end of my players career i'll probably find most pts painful anyways and not really want to do them and just slog it out so my player can survive as long as possible.

[Image: Kylrad2.gif]
[Image: Kylrad.gif]

Written Task: Tell me what you enjoy from PTs and the PT department! (150 words minimum) What kind of prompts do you love? What do you want to see more of? Are PTs a chore that you won't find fun or engaging no matter what they are? I think getting a vibe from all of you will help me settle in and plot my course forward, so why not award a little TPE for it.

Personally, I am not a big enjoyer of PTs right off the bat. It has nothing to do with the people that make them or any of that, it is more that english is not my first language so typing out 150 words might very well take me much longer than what it would take other people. So it makes me not really want to do anything special with my PTs, so I usually just try to make it to 150 words without really saying anything in them. I do like the two choices although, I do not really enjoy the super lame normal PTs, but sometimes the cool special prompt does not really inspire me anything, so the normal hockey prompt is what i go with. I definitely think that moving forward we should rethink Championship Week, I do not think anyone enjoys it and it is very much a chore for most of the site.

157 words

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]